Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3869182 - 11/29/13 03:11 PM AAF New Units Incoming  
Tyco Offline
ArmA3 Mission Maker
Tyco  Offline
ArmA3 Mission Maker

Westerly
It looks like the AAF are getting a Leo 2, Warrior and Wildcat. I for one am excited. Any new vehicles to make missions is a welcome addition.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.ph...983#post2565983

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3869216 - 11/29/13 05:21 PM Re: AAF New Units Incoming [Re: Tyco]  
Tigerwulf Offline
Tigerwulf  Offline

Wolverhampton, England
Awesome news, thanks Tyco.

#3869238 - 11/29/13 06:16 PM Re: AAF New Units Incoming [Re: Tigerwulf]  
Meatsheild Offline
Arma3 guy!
Meatsheild  Offline
Arma3 guy!

Peoples Republic of Yorkshire
BIS really need to fire the idea guy(s) that decide this stuff .... "british" forces in NATO just get the nato stuff .. yet the indies get pretty much near current(ish) tweaked british kit, its enough to make you scream banghead

SimHQ Arma3 sessions, weekly semi-serious co-op action for all ages and skills! check the forum sticky for more info!

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3732626/SimHQ_Arma3_Sessions,_who,_wha#Post3732626

All spelling errors are included free of charge and courtesy of a broken spell checker!
#3869253 - 11/29/13 06:59 PM Re: AAF New Units Incoming [Re: Tyco]  
csThor Offline
csThor  Offline

Germany
I really like the look of the Leo ... seems to be the "MBT Revolution" package from Rheinmetall. Compared to the NATO faction the AAF looks better and is a lot more interesting vehicle-wise. Not that this makes particular sense when looking at the story BIS cooked up (which is ludicrous IMO) but nobody ever accused BIS of being particularly creative when it comes to storytelling.

Intel i7 960 @ 3.2 GHz - ASUS Rampage III Gene Republic of Gamers - 6GB RAM OCZ CL7 XTC Platinum PC3-12800 - ZOTAC GeForce GTX 480 - 64GB Crucial RealSSD C300 SATA II - 1TB Western Digital WD1002FAEX SATA II - Creative Soundblaster Xi-Fi Titanium - Windows 7 Professional 64bit
#3869612 - 11/30/13 06:53 PM Re: AAF New Units Incoming [Re: Meatsheild]  
DetCord Offline
DetCord  Offline

Fort Riley, Kansas
Originally Posted By: Meatsheild
BIS really need to fire the idea guy(s) that decide this stuff .... "british" forces in NATO just get the nato stuff .. yet the indies get pretty much near current(ish) tweaked british kit, its enough to make you scream banghead

Agreed. It's a testament to how lazy BIS has become. Don't even get me started on the fact that most of the NATO and OPFOR assets are exactly the same, but with differing camo patterns. But hey! Lets give the this tiny, minuscule island nation, TFCK armor and rotary-wing assets...

Ex-pat Kiwi currently serving in the U.S. Army
#3869874 - 12/01/13 03:50 PM Re: AAF New Units Incoming [Re: Tyco]  
Apocalypse31 Offline
Apocalypse31  Offline

BIS can put any (real) tank in game that they chose. It will be an utter failure until they can actually model those tanks any bit like their real world characteristics.

How long now, and still no fire control system? Pressing the + and - buttons for zoom. Lame as all hell.

Rangers Lead the Way
#3871196 - 12/03/13 09:55 PM Re: AAF New Units Incoming [Re: Apocalypse31]  
Punisher5555 Offline
Punisher5555  Offline

Cleveland, Ohio
Do a search and you will find that they are doing this because they do not want to be sued.

Imaginary units = no lawsuit = no royalties paid to anyone.

You will just have to live with it.

They did announce they are going to release all the stuff from previous ArmA's. So that you as a modder can make any thing you like from the previous versions.

But THEY did not make it. YOU did. That equals no lawsuits and no royalties paid to anyone.

3 Samsung 27" LED Monitors powered by a Zotac 4GB 680GTX. Set at PCI Gen3. 5760 x 1080 resolution.
MSI z68a-gd80 (g3) motherboard
Ivy Bridge 3770k 3.5Ghz
32GB RAM (all .pbo's loaded into a 12GB RamDisk)
TrackIR4
zboard merc keyboard
Saitek X-52 stick/throttle/pedals
Logitech MOMO racing wheel/pedals
Razer Deathadder 3500 black mouse
Sony receiver for 5.1 surround sound. 5 speakers and powered sub-woofer.
#3871219 - 12/03/13 10:56 PM Re: AAF New Units Incoming [Re: Tyco]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Since when did BIS suffer any lawsuit because of using real life weapons and/or vehicles??

As long as NO trademark or company names are used there's no reason for lawsuits. Names such as M-16, AH-64 Apache, CH-47 Chinook, F-35 lightning II aren't trademark or company names - They are military names and therefore public domain and not subject to any trademark issues.
But instead if BIS (or any other gamming company) used for example Colt M-16, Boeing AH-64 Apache, Boeing CH-47 Chinook, Lockheed Martin F-35 lightning II than this would mean that trademarks or company names were being used and thus there would be a chance for lawsuits!

If what you're saying was true than BIS would already be sued a LOOOOONNNNGGGG time ago with Operation Flashpoint (plus Resistance), Armed Assault or ArmA2 (plus Op. Arrowhead), don't you think?

#3871238 - 12/03/13 11:43 PM Re: AAF New Units Incoming [Re: Tyco]  
Fridge Offline
Fridge  Offline

Fredericton, NB, Canada
Nope. It's only recently that those companies have taken an interest. I remember back about 15 years ago when Fly! was coming out and Cessna refused to allow them access to the name because there was a realistic damage model. Since then, lawsuits have become more common as companies look to protect their names.

It's hard for them to go back and sue but if someone were to have stuff in todays game, my money is on the lawyers.

Fridge
----------
Things which do you no good in aviation:
1) Altitude above you;
2) Runway behind you;
3) Fuel in the truck;
4) The airspeed you don't have.
#3871251 - 12/04/13 12:29 AM Re: AAF New Units Incoming [Re: Tyco]  
Fridge Offline
Fridge  Offline

Fredericton, NB, Canada

Fridge
----------
1) Altitude above you;
2) Runway behind you;
3) Fuel in the truck;
#3871589 - 12/04/13 06:56 PM Re: AAF New Units Incoming [Re: Tyco]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Exactly Fridge, that basically confirms everything that I've been saying - What happens with your example is that the "Hawk" name belongs to BAE Systems (and it's not an exclusive Royal Air Force name) which means that it's a trademark.

To "counter" your example if give you another:
Lets look at the UH-60 Blackhawk helicopter (used by the US military and others around the world):
- The company/commercial name (and therefore trademark) of that helicopter is Sikorsky S-70.
- While the Military name (and therefore public) for the same helicopter is UH-60 Blackhawk and therefore there isn't any problem using this name in a flight sim. The only thing that I'm not sure about is the "Blackhawk" name -> I don't know if the Blackhawk name is also a company/trademark name or if it's only a US military name but if a flight sim developer wants to make a sim which models the UH-60 Blackhawk and wants to "play safe" than the dev should name the helicopter "UH-60" (without the Blackhawk name).
Actually this is what ED does with DCS FC3, look at this:
http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/shop/modules/lock_on_flaming_cliffs_3/

As you can see, they mention that you can Fly in the game the F-15C, A-10A, Su-27, Su-33, MiG-29A, MiG-29S, Su-25T, and Su-25. Note that there aren't any names such as Boeing or Eagle included.
If what you're saying was true, than ED would be sue for this, wouldn't it?

Besides, an another proof that military names aren't company/trademark names:
- Lets look at the F/A-18 Hornet strike fighter aircraft. F/A-18 Hornet is the name used in USA (US military) while in Canada (Canadian Armed Forces) the name for the same aircraft is CF-188 (without the Hornet name).

#3871690 - 12/04/13 09:58 PM Re: AAF New Units Incoming [Re: ricnunes]  
JoeyJoJo Offline
Wurkin' man
JoeyJoJo  Offline
Wurkin' man
Hotshot

Colorado high-country
Originally Posted By: ricnunes
Exactly Fridge, that basically confirms everything that I've been saying - What happens with your example is that the "Hawk" name belongs to BAE Systems (and it's not an exclusive Royal Air Force name) which means that it's a trademark.

To "counter" your example if give you another:
Lets look at the UH-60 Blackhawk helicopter (used by the US military and others around the world):
- The company/commercial name (and therefore trademark) of that helicopter is Sikorsky S-70.
- While the Military name (and therefore public) for the same helicopter is UH-60 Blackhawk and therefore there isn't any problem using this name in a flight sim. The only thing that I'm not sure about is the "Blackhawk" name -> I don't know if the Blackhawk name is also a company/trademark name or if it's only a US military name but if a flight sim developer wants to make a sim which models the UH-60 Blackhawk and wants to "play safe" than the dev should name the helicopter "UH-60" (without the Blackhawk name).
Actually this is what ED does with DCS FC3, look at this:
http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/shop/modules/lock_on_flaming_cliffs_3/

As you can see, they mention that you can Fly in the game the F-15C, A-10A, Su-27, Su-33, MiG-29A, MiG-29S, Su-25T, and Su-25. Note that there aren't any names such as Boeing or Eagle included.
If what you're saying was true, than ED would be sue for this, wouldn't it?

Besides, an another proof that military names aren't company/trademark names:
- Lets look at the F/A-18 Hornet strike fighter aircraft. F/A-18 Hornet is the name used in USA (US military) while in Canada (Canadian Armed Forces) the name for the same aircraft is CF-188 (without the Hornet name).

I don't get it, judging from your other posts here, you seem to not enjoy the game and/or hate BIS, so why waste all of our time with your rageposts about something you apparently despise?

#3871755 - 12/04/13 11:55 PM Re: AAF New Units Incoming [Re: JoeyJoJo]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Originally Posted By: NoUseForAName
I don't get it, judging from your other posts here, you seem to not enjoy the game and/or hate BIS, so why waste all of our time with your rageposts about something you apparently despise?

And why waste your time with stupidposts like that?

First, yes I don't like the decision that BIS did regarding ArmA3 that's "public" but if you know how to read you'll see that this part of the forum is called ARMA SERIES which means that IT'S NOT EXCLUSIVE to ArmA3 - This is also where people post things about ArmA2 and even Armed Assault and Operation Flashpoint (made by BIS) which are games that BTW I enjoyed very much! So and therefore I end up seeing ArmA3 threads.
Second, I have the right to post in whatever thread or room that I wish and you don't have anything to do with it!
Third, even if I don't like the decisions regarding ArmA3 that doesn't mean that I can't follow anything related to ArmA3 or any other game for that matter and again you don't have anything to do with it!
Forth, didn't you learn that you should respect other people's opinions even if they are different from yours??
Fifth and repeating the second point, you don't have anything to do with where and what I post! NOW GO BOTHER SOMEONE ELSE!

#3871786 - 12/05/13 01:41 AM Re: AAF New Units Incoming [Re: Tyco]  
Fridge Offline
Fridge  Offline

Fredericton, NB, Canada
Although I understand your point about possibly calling things by their designations instead of trademarked names I think that it is more complicated to avoid litigation than that - likeness (Apple vs Samsung) is important to consider.

However, I'm going to choose not to continue this discussion after this post as you seem to violate your own points in the above post: namely #2 (right to post), #4 (respect other peoples opinions) and #5 (repeating #2) with regard to other people.

Fridge
----------
1) Altitude above you;
2) Runway behind you;
3) Fuel in the truck;
#3871854 - 12/05/13 06:18 AM Re: AAF New Units Incoming [Re: ricnunes]  
Meatsheild Offline
Arma3 guy!
Meatsheild  Offline
Arma3 guy!

Peoples Republic of Yorkshire

Second, I have the right to post in whatever thread or room that I wish and you don't have anything to do with it!

actually, as a privately run forum, you dont have any "right" as such to post where you want, you can post where the admin says you can post. Free speech etc only applies to public spaces (parks,streets etc) and government areas. smile

Anyway, carry on! what what! wave2

SimHQ Arma3 sessions, weekly semi-serious co-op action for all ages and skills! check the forum sticky for more info!

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3732626/SimHQ_Arma3_Sessions,_who,_wha#Post3732626

All spelling errors are included free of charge and courtesy of a broken spell checker!
#3871872 - 12/05/13 07:23 AM Re: AAF New Units Incoming [Re: ricnunes]  
JoeyJoJo Offline
Wurkin' man
JoeyJoJo  Offline
Wurkin' man
Hotshot

Colorado high-country

And why waste your time with stupidposts like that?

First, yes I don't like the decision that BIS did regarding ArmA3 that's "public" but if you know how to read you'll see that this part of the forum is called ARMA SERIES which means that IT'S NOT EXCLUSIVE to ArmA3 - This is also where people post things about ArmA2 and even Armed Assault and Operation Flashpoint (made by BIS) which are games that BTW I enjoyed very much! So and therefore I end up seeing ArmA3 threads.
Third, even if I don't like the decisions regarding ArmA3 that doesn't mean that I can't follow anything related to ArmA3 or any other game for that matter and again you don't have anything to do with it!
Forth, didn't you learn that you should respect other people's opinions even if they are different from yours??
Fifth and repeating the second point, you don't have anything to do with where and what I post! NOW GO BOTHER SOMEONE ELSE!

Because now this thread is completely off topic because you're mad about...something. This thread WAS about Arma 3 and the new content coming out, which you don't like; and you've added nothing constructive to the conversation.

Whatever, back to playing

Last edited by NoUseForAName; 12/05/13 07:28 AM.
#3871913 - 12/05/13 11:25 AM Re: AAF New Units Incoming [Re: Fridge]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Originally Posted By: Fridge
Although I understand your point about possibly calling things by their designations instead of trademarked names I think that it is more complicated to avoid litigation than that - likeness (Apple vs Samsung) is important to consider.

However, I'm going to choose not to continue this discussion after this post as you seem to violate your own points in the above post: namely #2 (right to post), #4 (respect other peoples opinions) and #5 (repeating #2) with regard to other people.

Really I don't get the later part of this post of yours - We were having a civilized discussion (as far as I know). Since when I disrespected your opinion? I didn't agree with you post/opinion regarding BIS not calling the correct names because of trademark issues and I posted respectful arguments, that's all...
What I'm "mad" about is NoUseForAName post, which was completely unrelated to our "discussion" and to this thread for that matter, nothing more, nothing less!

#3871916 - 12/05/13 11:41 AM Re: AAF New Units Incoming [Re: JoeyJoJo]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Because now this thread is completely off topic because you're mad about...something. This thread WAS about Arma 3 and the new content coming out, which you don't like; and you've added nothing constructive to the conversation.

Whatever, back to playing

No, this thread is completely off topic because and only because of your post!
What I did post in other threads/forums as nothing to do with this thread and I find amusing that you give yourself the trouble to follow my comments here in SimHQ and comment here (or elsewhere) what I did post in other threads/forums - What's more offtopic than this? Really if you have nothing else to do, instead of following my posts and reminding me of my past posts than I advise you to get a life.

For what's worth I didn't even criticized these new units and for what's worth the "mad about ArmA3" is a past by me now (BIS could even make an ArmA in space that I don't care anymore) and I just read this thread because I like to see models of new units, no matter what in game.
And what I simply posted was my disagreement with Fridge that if BIS used correct names (Merkava IV instead of Slammer for example) that they could be sued.
Finally and again for what's worth, it's curious to see that most people that posted in this thread really hated these new units and the BIS decision to include them but you seem to only pick on me - So and again, GET A LIFE and now my discussion with you ends here and right now!

#3871917 - 12/05/13 11:45 AM Re: AAF New Units Incoming [Re: Meatsheild]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Originally Posted By: Meatsheild

actually, as a privately run forum, you dont have any "right" as such to post where you want, you can post where the admin says you can post. Free speech etc only applies to public spaces (parks,streets etc) and government areas. smile

Anyway, carry on! what what! wave2

Oh really?? And are you a moderator here in SimHQ by any chance?
Like I say if someone can come to a thread a comment what I did in other unrelated threads why can I comment something that someone posted in THIS THREAD?
Whatever.... rolleyes

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.