Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#3868562 - 11/27/13 11:06 PM Elite Dangerous  
stewartforgie Offline
stewartforgie  Offline

Grangemouth. Scotland.
Things are progressing really well. This looks like it is going to be huge!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6WmsnwNq98

Cheers,
Stewart.
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#3868577 - 11/28/13 01:00 AM Re: Elite Dangerous [Re: stewartforgie]  
TheBlackPenguin Offline
TheBlackPenguin  Offline

Looks incredible and I am really happy they have joysticks working! Is that TrackIR on the monitor?

#3868582 - 11/28/13 01:16 AM Re: Elite Dangerous [Re: stewartforgie]  
Paul Rix Offline
Paul Rix  Offline

NW of Austin, Tx
Now I am definitely going to have to get an Oculus Rift next year!

Last edited by Paul Rix; 11/28/13 01:16 AM.

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.
Carl Sagan
#3868584 - 11/28/13 01:24 AM Re: Elite Dangerous [Re: stewartforgie]  
Lancelot Offline
Lancelot  Offline

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Dont know if its going to be huge, but so far i'm more that satisfied with what they are showing and how its seems to be heading.
Hope they keep this way.

Si hay que huir, YO PRIMERO!!!
#3868610 - 11/28/13 02:20 AM Re: Elite Dangerous [Re: stewartforgie]  
No Name Offline
Veteran
No Name  Offline
Veteran

I have a lot of confidence in them. Seems like they are making great choices. Thanks for that link.

Mobo ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0)
Memory CORSAIR XMS3 8GB DDR3
GPU 2 EVGA 680 FTW 4GB
CPU Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz)
Drives 2 HITACHI Deskstar 3TB 2 Crucial 256 GB SSD Displays 3 HP ZR30w 30" monitors
UPS Cyberpower PP2200SW
PSU Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W
Case COOLER MASTER CM Storm Trooper
Drive LITE-ON Black 12X Blu-ray
CPU cooler Noctua 6 Dual Heatpipe
Fans COOLER MASTER SickleFlow 120
OS Windows 7 Premium
#3868682 - 11/28/13 09:58 AM Re: Elite Dangerous [Re: stewartforgie]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

I've been following this since launch and I must admit I prefer the class of Frontier release of videos and pictures to the "SHOVELFUL-TO-YOUR-FACE" of other companies.

*cough-S cough-C*

I can't physically wait anymore.
Awesome.

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#3868753 - 11/28/13 01:29 PM Re: Elite Dangerous [Re: stewartforgie]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Plus, let's face it. David Braben (with Ian Bell) created the genre and defined it.
It's impossible to think about ANY space exploration game without bringing Elite to mind.

He's the one. He'll give us the boundless space. biggrin

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#3868931 - 11/28/13 07:59 PM Re: Elite Dangerous [Re: stewartforgie]  
Wodin Offline
Wodin  Offline

Liverpool
At least in this game when you buy it you also get to keep everything you paid for..without having to buy bogus insurance which is a rip off in the real world let alone in games where it's virtual! I can't believe this insurance thing has been pulled apart and people be up in arms about it.

#3868940 - 11/28/13 08:16 PM Re: Elite Dangerous [Re: stewartforgie]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
Firstly, let's not slag off other space sims as surely more the merrier? Chris Roberts was the biggest backer of E:D too...

I am looking forward to this, although I really don't like how the Cobra's look, way too chunky. Looks far sleeker in the original wireframe graphics and I did not use to imagine the cockpit as a bubble right up the back, but in the front panel near the gun.

But I'll be getting a Fer-de-lance at the first opportunity anyway smile loved that ship.

When is it due to be released?

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle
#3868977 - 11/28/13 09:44 PM Re: Elite Dangerous [Re: stewartforgie]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Heh, honestly I just compared the class in showing progress development. wink
On the other hand there's insurance in Elite too, just it's a small fee and (I don't know if this is true only for Elite) it's not mandatory. Risky though.

As for ship design, there's a good post about that. Ships in Star Citizen are more akin to planes design whereas Elite is closer to naval design.

Whether this is good or bad, it really just boils down to personal taste.
Me? I can see myself only in an Elite universe.
400 BILLIONS solar systems just quite cut it for me wink

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#3868985 - 11/28/13 09:58 PM Re: Elite Dangerous [Re: komemiute]  
Lancelot Offline
Lancelot  Offline

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Originally Posted By: komemiute
400 BILLIONS solar systems just quite cut it for me wink

Yeeeaaa.... i'm concerned that after a couple of months i will not have any system new to know or explore! wink

Last edited by Lancelot; 11/29/13 07:40 PM.

#3868989 - 11/28/13 10:11 PM Re: Elite Dangerous [Re: stewartforgie]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

rofl

Yep, At least there's ship customisation to play with...

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#3869043 - 11/29/13 03:00 AM Re: Elite Dangerous [Re: stewartforgie]  
WynnTTr Offline
WynnTTr  Offline

I'm a bit leery with the fact that I need to spend 80GBP for the full game. That comes to about $145AUD - a pretty ridiculous amount to ask for the full game.

Sure you get a basic game for less but c'mon, planetary landings, something that was considered a major feature and often used as an ad for E:D, is now considered an "expansion"? The same for walking inside your ship? That's now considered an "expansion" too?

All of these little things should be features in the game. Maybe I'm showing my age but when I read "expansions" I thought it would mean new content such as missions, worlds, other ships. Not features that should be (and some advertised) as core features.

Hate to say it, but at least with SC you get the full game and all its features for $35. No making owners pay extra if they wanted to walk inside their ship or other featu... er.. "expansions" of the game.

What next? Want to remote trad expansion? Want to EVA expansion?

#3869045 - 11/29/13 03:06 AM Re: Elite Dangerous [Re: stewartforgie]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

That is the only thing that really holds me up from buying the game too. It just seems like they are features that will break MP gameplay if I am cooping with a friend and I can walk around my ship and land on planets but he cant. I am ok with ships being extra or other exclusive content but not core gameplay elements.

Else I would have backed ED a long time ago. I have no problem dropping money on SC but I dont want to have tiers of gameplay that prevents me playing with friends.

#3869085 - 11/29/13 06:18 AM Re: Elite Dangerous [Re: WynnTTr]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: WynnTTr
I'm a bit leery with the fact that I need to spend 80GBP for the full game. That comes to about $145AUD - a pretty ridiculous amount to ask for the full game.

Sure you get a basic game for less but c'mon, planetary landings, something that was considered a major feature and often used as an ad for E:D, is now considered an "expansion"? The same for walking inside your ship? That's now considered an "expansion" too?

All of these little things should be features in the game. Maybe I'm showing my age but when I read "expansions" I thought it would mean new content such as missions, worlds, other ships. Not features that should be (and some advertised) as core features.

Hate to say it, but at least with SC you get the full game and all its features for $35. No making owners pay extra if they wanted to walk inside their ship or other featu... er.. "expansions" of the game.

What next? Want to remote trad expansion? Want to EVA expansion?

The way I see it SC does planetary landing completely differently.
There's no seamless planetary landing plus there's no real orbits for celestial bodies. Planets are scaled down and... well it's not space.

I've grown with Elite since the first iteration. Space is huge, with countless stars and with orbits, solar systems wide happenings... I just can't see it reduced to a sequence of very far checkpoints...

I will not stick myself to the "how much people throw to which games"... but again, give the sheer size and scope of Elite Dangerous, 80 are nothing.
Plus those are only the first expansions we know of...

I can’t stop myself to percieve SC as pretty limited >IN COMPARISON< ... by itslf it's still pretty cool.

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#3869089 - 11/29/13 06:38 AM Re: Elite Dangerous [Re: stewartforgie]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Come to think of it... for 35$ SC still doesn't have planetary landing. And still not for whatever sum you dish out.

You have a checkpoint... cutscene... you're on planet.

Which is fine, as long as YOU have fun. But don't come here and tell me that's landing...

Same way, everyone I kniw who pledged SC dished in more than ten times 35 $.

Which is still fine if you are happy...

Peace.

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#3869096 - 11/29/13 06:58 AM Re: Elite Dangerous [Re: stewartforgie]  
WynnTTr Offline
WynnTTr  Offline

You utterly missed the point of what I was saying.

Ok completely take out planetary landings or whatever. Where do the supposed "expansions" end?

And these expansions should really be called in game core features.

It is not an expansion in terms of extra content like worlds or ships even. It's stuff that seems to be a feature of the game.

So I ask again - where does it end? An expanded combat expansion that people will now have to pay for? An EVA expansion... Oh hey lets throw in a bar expansion or a toilet expansion while we're at it. Where does it end?

When do I say i bought a complete game - wait actually I know the answer to that: 80GBP.
But then no doubt they'll come up with a REAL expansion in the traditional sense and we'd be paying more then too.

I'm more than willing to pay an amount for a game if I feel they're doing right by their supporters. I'm an MWO Overlord, have about 20k gold eagles right now, and yes I've spent huge amounts on SC.

But hey, they were all by choice cos I didn't feel that a company was trying to nickel and dime me with neverending core features of the game ... sorry "expansions". I could have stopped completely at $35 for SC and still gotten the FULL game with access to everything that a Grand Admiral has paid... exact... same... content.

Can the same be said for E:D.?

#3869103 - 11/29/13 08:12 AM Re: Elite Dangerous [Re: stewartforgie]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

I'll start with some concept...

First:
Easy man, chill.

I have no pleasure in trolling and I'm afraid (I might be mistaken, though) you're thinking I'm trying to.

Don't be. I love videogames and I think Chris Roberts can pull off anything he wants.

I also understand you're pretty fired up about SC, and it's comprehensible. It looks amazing.
And I KNOW for sure hundreds of thousands of people are going to enjoy it massively.

Why? Because it's going to offer them be what they are looking for.
Which is fantastic.

Second:
That said, your fear of what "Expansions" in Elite can cause or mean is pretty badly put.
I like to think that anything I said about SC is based on actual informations I have.

Have you read anything about Elite from the Design Archive?

If we don't start with a common ground there's no need for this textual-skirmish...

Third:
This
Quote:

So I ask again - where does it end? An expanded combat expansion that people will now have to pay for? An EVA expansion... Oh hey lets throw in a bar expansion or a toilet expansion while we're at it. Where does it end?

When do I say i bought a complete game - wait actually I know the answer to that: 80GBP.
But then no doubt they'll come up with a REAL expansion in the traditional sense and we'd be paying more then too.
is textbook definiton of F.U.D.

All of this was explained and covered by the most basical Elite Dangerous FAQ.
Plus is quite gratuituos, nonsensical and flamish.

Fourth:
Quote:

I'm more than willing to pay an amount for a game if I feel they're doing right by their supporters. I'm an MWO Overlord, have about 20k gold eagles right now, and yes I've spent huge amounts on SC.

This is what I'm talking about...
Based on past experiences, I prefer Frontier game-design to Chris Roberts. Choices.
I'm not saying yours are wrong. I will not let you piss on mine.

Last edited by komemiute; 11/29/13 08:15 AM. Reason: Typos and links

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#3869104 - 11/29/13 08:17 AM Re: Elite Dangerous [Re: stewartforgie]  
WynnTTr Offline
WynnTTr  Offline

Thanks... I guess.

Maybe not cos you haven't answered anything at all except vague references to a FAQ. Educate me if I'm wrong about the expansions.

Forget SC.

This is like selling BF4 or any other game without some features and then charging for that feature later on as "an expansion".
What if EA made BF4 but then decided to say if you want to hop in a jet, that's in our jet expansion for $20. Tanks.. that's our tank "expansion" for $20.

Actually it's worse than that in E:D's case. Take the planetary model. So if you're in combat and you're winning, the guy who bought that expansion can just evade you by going planetside.

That's like me shooting a guy in BF4, CoD, Arma3, insert any game you like here, and my enemy suddenly crossing an arbitrary line where I can't shoot him anymore. That core feature of the game is closed off to me.

You don't see a problem with that?

#3869105 - 11/29/13 08:19 AM Re: Elite Dangerous [Re: stewartforgie]  
WynnTTr Offline
WynnTTr  Offline

And you still havne't answered: when will it end? what feature will they implement under the term "expansion" that we have to pay for more?

EDIT: I'm looking at this wiki and the FAQ but still nothing about what they propose about further game features been called "expansions" other than, more than once, a reminder that paying the 80GBP will net you all future expansions.

But there's little point arguing over it - this is the path that E:D has chosen to take.

But call it for what it is - the full game is 80GBP.

Last edited by WynnTTr; 11/29/13 08:36 AM.
#3869108 - 11/29/13 08:23 AM Re: Elite Dangerous [Re: stewartforgie]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Are you even interested in Elite Dangerous?

Let's see... have you noticed I added a link to the Elite Dangerous FAQ?
And that thing is like a holy wall of text?
And that's not even close to vague?

You're a big boy and I firmly believe you can also find Elite Dangerous official forums all by yourself, if so you wanted.

And I still don't like your attitude.
I'm not here to entertain you, to convince you are right/wrong/left or whatever.

You're simply having wrong impressions about Elite Dangerous.

Now, are you happy with it? Cool with me.
You want to correct your point of view? You have all the means to -> Cool with me.

Last edited by komemiute; 11/29/13 08:31 AM.

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#3869136 - 11/29/13 12:29 PM Re: Elite Dangerous [Re: stewartforgie]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
I had no idea about the pricing structure for E:D, I'll no doubt buy it regardless but does seem a little odd.

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle
#3869144 - 11/29/13 01:18 PM Re: Elite Dangerous [Re: stewartforgie]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

How so? If I may help, that is...

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#3869151 - 11/29/13 01:38 PM Re: Elite Dangerous [Re: stewartforgie]  
Lancelot Offline
Lancelot  Offline

Buenos Aires, Argentina
From a economic point of view, certainly SC it's a better deal, but the true is that it's been years since we don't have an space sim with the scope and dimension of E:D or SC, so i beleive the best for those who love this kind of game is to pledge for both, and play both. Time will tell which will end up to be our favourite, but i think both will be highly enjoyable and entertaining.

About planet landing on E:D that it should be there from the beginning, well, probably they could do that, but we have noh idea how many extra resources and time would take to have them with a quality that goes in hand with the rest of the game. So maybe that would be too risky for the developer, and choose to leave it for later. They have their reasons, and its they job to evaluate the risk and rewards.

Personally i don't see planet landing on Elite as a must to get it now or from the beginning, i prefer to have the game earlier (too many years of starvation for an space sim) and later on have the add-on that adds planet landing.

#3869154 - 11/29/13 01:52 PM Re: Elite Dangerous [Re: stewartforgie]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Nicely put.
My thoughts exactly.

Plus the latest videos are REALLY interesting...

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#3869173 - 11/29/13 02:47 PM Re: Elite Dangerous [Re: Lancelot]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Lancelot
Personally i don't see planet landing on Elite as a must to get it now or from the beginning, i prefer to have the game earlier (too many years of starvation for an space sim) and later on have the add-on that adds planet landing.

SO then lets look at the known future expansions then...

Paid Expansion List:
COOPing one ship
Quote:
Will I be able to hire crew for my ship?Edit

Yes, just like last two Elite games you will be able to hire NPC crews for the larger multi-crew ships in the initial release.
Player crews however is something to be considered for a future expansion.

Planetary Landing

Quote:
Will it be possible to manually land on planets?Edit

Yes, just like last two Elite games you will be able to seamlessly freeform enter and fly through planet atmospheres and land on their surface in the first expansions within a year after the first release.
Note: If you register for the £80 - Digital Download Pack and up, you will receive every expansion that will ever be released for the game.

Docking with other ships

Quote:
Will landing and docking be seamless in "Elite: Dangerous"?Edit

Yes, just like in all the previous Elite games you will be able to manually dock with space stations seamlessly.
Future expansions will also add posibility to dock with capital ships land on planets. Landing and docking will be doable either using auto pilot, or manually. Additionally to simply flying into a station's door, in E:D you'll have to fly and land your ship onto the landing pad within the station. /quote]

Walking Around
[quote]Can I walk around the ship, planets and space stations?Edit

Yes, you will be able to walk around ship interiors, board ships and walk in space stations and on planets with cities, forests and big game hunt wildlife in an expansions. The content for Elite is huge, so a sensible strategy is used to add to the game in stages.
See this Zoo Tycoon - Dev Diary for a glimpse of the technology that Frontier Developments have for this.
Note: If you register for the £80 - Digital Download Pack and up, you will receive every expansion that will ever be released for the game.

Atmospheric Flight

Quote:
A major feature that Elite: Dangerous will have is freeform atmospheric flight and seamless landing on planets and walking on living planets with cities and wildlife in expansions soon after the initial release.

That is the problem I have with this game. I am fine with making a bunch of new ships, equipment or missions and charging for that... but I dont like charging for core gameplay features that will no doubt fragment your ability to play MP/COOP.

It will probably all come down to how they package all these features for resale.

Last edited by Master; 11/29/13 02:48 PM.
#3869234 - 11/29/13 06:11 PM Re: Elite Dangerous [Re: stewartforgie]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
I'm going to enjoy both games.

#3869260 - 11/29/13 07:28 PM Re: Elite Dangerous [Re: stewartforgie]  
No Name Offline
Veteran
No Name  Offline
Veteran

But can either one measure up to the masterpiece that is X Stillbirth?

Mobo ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0)
Memory CORSAIR XMS3 8GB DDR3
GPU 2 EVGA 680 FTW 4GB
CPU Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz)
Drives 2 HITACHI Deskstar 3TB 2 Crucial 256 GB SSD Displays 3 HP ZR30w 30" monitors
UPS Cyberpower PP2200SW
PSU Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W
Case COOLER MASTER CM Storm Trooper
Drive LITE-ON Black 12X Blu-ray
CPU cooler Noctua 6 Dual Heatpipe
Fans COOLER MASTER SickleFlow 120
OS Windows 7 Premium
#3869315 - 11/29/13 09:53 PM Re: Elite Dangerous [Re: stewartforgie]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Master... I don't know what to make of you.
I know you are not stupid. I've read many of your posts, I think alike in many regards... but then you dish out stuff like this last post of your and I am really speechless. Or waiting for a punchline.

Maybe the co-op part was hard to read altogether so it requires a little clearing up.

But your sorry attempt at trolling by trying to place atmospheric flight and planetary landing as two different paid expansions is debunked by the same piece you use as evidence.

As already stated, if genuinely interested ED forums will welcome everyone looking for proper infos.

I'm nobody's caretaker. Or part of the dev team.

But since passive aggressive approach seems so in, as of late, I'll give it a shot. Tell me if I'm going good.

You dish out hundreds of $ for virtual goods in a game and you are a loyal supporter.

I put 80£ (and that's it... I will geyANYTHING ) for the only game so far with a realistic rendition of a whole galaxy, seamlessly explorable and I am a gullible moron being milked by an evil company.

Do yourself a nice favor, don't bother with Elite.

Last edited by komemiute; 11/29/13 09:54 PM.

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#3869347 - 11/29/13 10:59 PM Re: Elite Dangerous [Re: stewartforgie]  
Aero Offline
Aero  Offline

Milwaukee, USA
Primarily what I like about what I'm seeing in Elite Dangerous is a very clear and achievable development plan. The "expansion" model seems reasonable enough given the circumstances, and the Roller Coaster Tycoon analogy fits it well. The basic product is most of what I'm interested in in a space sim, and then their expansion prioritization meshes well with my own: atmospheric flight on the 'pretty important' end and first person segments on the 'don't care' end.

I suppose it's inevitable on the internet that it would degrade to a SC versus Elite flamewar (crowd funding seems to make these things even more vitriolic). I surely anticipate I'll be playing them both, though I tend to lean more toward Elite based on their respective histories mainly because Elite took a harder scifi/sim approach, though SC does seem to be heading in that direction more than Privateer/Freelancer.

#3869360 - 11/30/13 12:10 AM Re: Elite Dangerous [Re: stewartforgie]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

The point is that core gameplay features are being included as "expansions." That is the whole point I was making. The listed features are NOT part of the main game you buy.

So If I buy the game and a few other friends buy the game odds are good we wont be able to play with each other because of a content missmatch. This may or may not be the case with ED as they have not expanded on exactly how it will work.

The largest FUBAR that I have seen a game do was RoF forcing people to buy a 20 dollar map. It literally fragmented the MP community. Even in my 8 man squadron it means people just could not play during squad night for 1-2 hours when that map rolled into play.

The same case is happening with ED.

COOP
Planetary Landing
Docking with other ships
Atmospheric Flight

Even if all 4 of those features are included in the very first expansion it will still mean that there will be gameplay missmatch between even small groups of friends trying to play the game together. It also sets a huge precedents for them to do the same with other features.

Until they display exactly how they are going to do it and prove to me it wont fragment my small group of friend I want to play with I see absolutely no reason to give them any money.

This is NOT an SC vs ED thing. I am just opposed to the way ED did their expansion stuff. Extra ships are fine, extra missions would be fine, but not core features. I just dont see why they are doing it and how it will work without completely #%&*$# up the MP community.

#3869368 - 11/30/13 12:25 AM Re: Elite Dangerous [Re: stewartforgie]  
WynnTTr Offline
WynnTTr  Offline

Don't bother Master, they just refuse to see it objectively. Even when I tried to take SC out of the equation.... twice.

And yet they go back to it like a mantra. We'll then I'll oblige - SC full game + all features - $35 USD. Elite full game + features - 80GBP.

Just tell your friends that if they ask. I know I'll be telling people I know how it is. And I wouldn't be lying.

The thing is I'm an Elite fan as we'll. I played Elite well before WC. I'm not here to knock it, just tell it how I see it.

#3869370 - 11/30/13 12:35 AM Re: Elite Dangerous [Re: Master]  
Lancelot Offline
Lancelot  Offline

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Originally Posted By: Master

That is the problem I have with this game. I am fine with making a bunch of new ships, equipment or missions and charging for that... but I dont like charging for core gameplay features that will no doubt fragment your ability to play MP/COOP.

It will probably all come down to how they package all these features for resale.

Well you are an avid and long time flight simulator fan i beleive, and most likely (of course can't be sure) you played IL-2, which i will take as an example. In that sim, with several addon we had after the release of the game, you were forced to have the addon to play with those who already had it. Well, i think, and of course it's just speculation, this will be similar. You will have to buy the addons to play with those that have them installed. But, you still have the choice of not buy it and play singleplayer, or multiplayer with players with the same version.

Having said that, most certainly SC seems to have from the start a far more reacher mutiplaye gamplay experience, but we still have two years, at least, until we get the game. Elite will come out next year, with multiplyer, of course not with the depth of SC, but its less than one year away. If its released next year as they announced.
Maybe, and it's a big MAYBE, by the time SC it's released (final game, not beta), we will have Elite with the addon that allow us to walk outside of the ship, and land on planets and other ships.

Besides, i must admit that i pledged for E:D too because it seems that will offer a darker universe and a better lonewolf experience, something that goes very well with my antisocial personality. biggrin.

#3869372 - 11/30/13 12:47 AM Re: Elite Dangerous [Re: komemiute]  
Lancelot Offline
Lancelot  Offline

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Master...
Do yourself a nice favor, don't bother with Elite.

Hey, easy there tiger, its just an opinion. Noh need to get all baffled up (hope that is the right expression smile ).
Lets not make this like SC forum, where evem some tiny criticism you get viciously attacked as a troller, crybaby, winner, and on and on.
And if you praise something, you will also get attacked of worshipper. It's unbeleivable! right

WynnTTr is right, with SC with 35 dollars you get the full game, in the end of 2015 or in 2016. With elite you have to pay 80 GBP without ship boarding, planetary landing, and walk outside the ship, but you will get it on 2014. smile
It is like it is, noh point to attack or defend any of those games for that, it's only a matter of choice.

Salut!

#3869384 - 11/30/13 01:04 AM Re: Elite Dangerous [Re: stewartforgie]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

The problem with that example though is that the IL-2 expansion had like 1-2 years between them. They are saying that they will have the first expansion for ED out within a month or two of the game dropping.

Again, I will just have to wait and see. I would love to play it and im not above abandoning the SC ship for ED if ED turns out better but I dont see a reason to give them my money right NOW. I just dont have as much faith in it as with SC.

Also even though the full game for SC comes out 15-16 there should be the alpha for the open world and sq42 by the time ED releases.

Last edited by Master; 11/30/13 01:06 AM.
#3873714 - 12/09/13 12:54 PM Re: Elite Dangerous [Re: stewartforgie]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Ok, exciting times ahead!

Backer App (the website through which you had to pledge to get access to the game) has finally closed!
The new shop will be up soon!

Transition means Alpha play INCOMING! smile

Hold on to your HOTAS...
Elite is coming.

Last edited by komemiute; 12/09/13 12:55 PM.

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#3873985 - 12/09/13 10:04 PM Re: Elite Dangerous [Re: stewartforgie]  
Lancelot Offline
Lancelot  Offline

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Unfortunately i only pledged enough to have acces to the beta. frown

I'll wait for some cool videos from you komemiute! smile

#3874028 - 12/09/13 11:39 PM Re: Elite Dangerous [Re: stewartforgie]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Uhrr... I'm first round beta. :P
I know for sure it'll be a limited experience so far... but I wouldn't mind follow someone who have alpha.

For that reason I've put in the main forum a new thread with updated info (as fast as I possibly can, with family and such)...

Stay tuned!

EDIT: Hell, some duplicated info never killed anybody...
Here's a thread full of info about people with alpha access that will try to stream or youtube stuff...

http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9172

Have fun!

Last edited by komemiute; 12/09/13 11:41 PM.

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#3874089 - 12/10/13 01:47 AM Re: Elite Dangerous [Re: stewartforgie]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

I regret not buying the alpha for this lol but then again if I could I would buy every game lol.

I really hope this becomes something! (All my old reservations remain but damn it would be great to have a good elite again)

#3874167 - 12/10/13 06:18 AM Re: Elite Dangerous [Re: stewartforgie]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

All in all I'm still more than convinced that alpha are not so important.
Wait did I just say that?!?!

biggrin

Ok got to explain... I mean that, especially in this case, the alpha is a bit too pricey when first round beta starts just few weeks after. With 100 £ more in my pockets.

That said if I was to magically receive an alpha pass I would not sleep anymore...

Alpha is simply disjointed missions presenting to the players limited experience focussed on single gamellay aspects. It's little more than a little 1 vs 1 space arena.

Day after day this Dogfight module will be enriched with more and more features till it's a proper beta. And I can finally jojn in.

Man, Master, I do REALLY hope we're getting THE Elite.
Doubts after all are good. They keep us on our toes and objective.

Sorry for the edgy reactions before.
Kids are absorbing lotsa energies and left us parents totally depleted.

Also sorry for the lenghty explanation. :P

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#3874666 - 12/11/13 01:29 AM Re: Elite Dangerous [Re: komemiute]  
Lancelot Offline
Lancelot  Offline

Buenos Aires, Argentina

I honestly can't remember which beta version i have acces. I pledged the package that gave me the phisical game DRM free. And can't go check on the backer account app because it's closed momentarely.
I think i only have acces to seccond round beta. frown

Last edited by Lancelot; 12/11/13 01:31 AM.

#3875342 - 12/12/13 04:25 AM Re: Elite Dangerous [Re: Lancelot]  
TheBlackPenguin Offline
TheBlackPenguin  Offline

Originally Posted By: Lancelot

I honestly can't remember which beta version i have acces. I pledged the package that gave me the phisical game DRM free. And can't go check on the backer account app because it's closed momentarely.
I think i only have acces to seccond round beta. frown

I think the months for access are:

December: Alpha
January: First Phase Beta
February: Second Phase Beta
March onwards: Gamma before final release sometime. All backers who are entitled to the game can play from Gamma onwards.

#3877203 - 12/14/13 11:24 PM Re: Elite Dangerous [Re: stewartforgie]  
Lancelot Offline
Lancelot  Offline

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Thanks Penguin for the info.

#3877667 - 12/15/13 10:47 PM Re: Elite Dangerous [Re: stewartforgie]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Look here at 0:40 for some hair raising video of a canopy breach! jawdrop

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.