Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3866393 - 11/22/13 12:47 PM OK, Xbox Boner owners... first impressions...  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida
I asked the same questions for the PS4... what do my guinny pigs have to say about the Xbox ONE, I know there will be issues connecting.

What games you playing? what resolution and framerate are they? Are they smooth? Graphics/sounds... do they play 5.1 surround sound?
Hows the voice command for kinetc? Can it be disabled or not used?

whats games are available right now for digital download?

and mostly for me... if you play BF4... how smooth is the gameplay with 64 players on console?

how is the gamepad? using wheels? how is FM5 with the gamepad?

thx

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3866519 - 11/22/13 05:48 PM Re: OK, Xbox Boner owners... first impressions... [Re: Magnum]  
ForSquirrels Offline
Veteran
ForSquirrels  Offline
Veteran

Just got mine and am stuck at work for a few more hours. I heard bf4 will be on a bunch of Black Friday deals so I may pick it up in a week. Until then it's ghosts.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when it deserves it."
--Mark Twain

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.

XBL: fmdckr81
#3866530 - 11/22/13 06:01 PM Re: OK, Xbox Boner owners... first impressions... [Re: Magnum]  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida
a good review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRM77-7EsY8

Like I said before... IF I had my man-cave still, Xbox One would of been great in it for the whole living room package thing... but now that I have my PC and consoles hooked up to my 32 inch monitor, 2 feet in front of me... I don't see the uses anymore for Xbox One... plus I have all the best Xbox One games on PC already, minus Forza.

jmo

#3866582 - 11/22/13 08:11 PM Re: OK, Xbox Boner owners... first impressions... [Re: Magnum]  
Goalie Offline
Goalie  Offline

BC, Canada
I have mine sitting beside me on my desk at work. Can't wait to go home and hook it up. It will be interesting to see how it compares to my PS4 which I'm pretty happy with at the moment.

#3866689 - 11/23/13 12:43 AM Re: OK, Xbox Boner owners... first impressions... [Re: Magnum]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
Once you plug it in, Microsoft installs a nefarious AI into your household forever.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#3866710 - 11/23/13 01:59 AM Re: OK, Xbox Boner owners... first impressions... [Re: Magnum]  
joec63 Offline
joec63  Offline

Olmsted Falls, OH
Xbox one arrived today. Set it up in a spare bedroom so don't have a cable box plugged it at the moment so can't judge the TV box capability. The day one update was 500mb. Didn't take that long to download, pretty uneventful. setting up the Kinect was painless. Just say "Xbox" and it will say listening in the top right corner. Every executable command will be listed in green text. Works well. The "use a code" command and snapping of apps is my favorite so far. Of course it knows me when I log in. That's freaky.

Console is very quiet, not near as noisy as the 360.

Very PC like now that games are being installed to the HD. Forza took a 6GB install and I was able to play at about 25%. Took awhile to finish.

Bought Forza, Dead Rising, Assassins Creed Black Flag, and Zoo Tycoon. Only played Forza and Dead Rising.

#3866717 - 11/23/13 02:14 AM Re: OK, Xbox Boner owners... first impressions... [Re: Magnum]  
LeemzHQ Offline
360 Gamertag = Leemz
LeemzHQ  Offline
360 Gamertag = Leemz
Hotshot

Massachusetts
Originally Posted By: Magnum
a good review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRM77-7EsY8

Like I said before... IF I had my man-cave still, Xbox One would of been great in it for the whole living room package thing... but now that I have my PC and consoles hooked up to my 32 inch monitor, 2 feet in front of me... I don't see the uses anymore for Xbox One... plus I have all the best Xbox One games on PC already, minus Forza.

jmo

Ok, Magnum, who do you think you're fooling? You KNOW you're going to break down and get this at some point. You're just fishing for enough positive press to help support your decision. Gaming hardware and software? It's your "crack". LOL

You want it. You need it. You....can....not....resist!!!

yep

"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
Edgar Allan Poe
#3866737 - 11/23/13 04:12 AM Re: OK, Xbox Boner owners... first impressions... [Re: Magnum]  
HogDriver Offline
Retired Flight Simmer
HogDriver  Offline
Retired Flight Simmer

I talked about mine a bit in the Forza 5 thread. To recap and then expand on that...

I had some initial trouble downloading the 500mb day one update. It just would not do it with my standard wireless or wired internet connection. It would immediately say there was a problem with the update, and repeated attempts failed. But it would say the console was connected to the internet... Eventually tethered my mobile phone as a hotspot and used 500mb of my mobile data plan to get the update. After that, things went a lot better. I still have no idea why this was, but I heard that Microsoft had some DDoS attacks or something.

Forza 5 took about 4 hours for to install and download the 6gb update. Great game though, and I spent most of the day playing it.

Kinect is part of what makes the Xbone feel next-gen. Voice commands work about 80% or better for me. I like being able to use voice commands, because it's faster to just say "Xbox, show my stuff" than to back out of a game the old fashioned way. I haven't played any games that use the Kinect as the main controller, because I don't own any. Forza 5 has head tracking using Kinect, but if you've used TrackIR, it feels crappy and poorly implemented. It's not like TrackIR, it's more like if you lean your body left or right, the viewpoint will awkwardly move left or right. I had to turn it off for now. Maybe some settings tweaking will make it work better, but I don't like the "head tracking" so far.

Games take a long time to install if you have crappy internet. They'll typically need to download a sizable update. 600+ mbs for Dead Rising 3, 1100+mb for Ryse. Probably took me an hour for Dead Rising 3 and closer to 2 hours for Ryse. Again, if your internet is more modern than our ^%&^ internet in Australia, you won't have as long of a wait. You can play an installing game after it has installed to a certain point.

When you play a game, to me I felt like I had just put a new graphics card into an Xbox 360. If you're coming exclusively from a 360, the jump in graphics will probably seem bigger. But most of you guys have decent gaming PCs, so the graphics probably won't impress as much. I have to say it's nice to have a console that can graphically compare to PCs again. The 360 had just been left so far behind by this point that I hated playing on it if there was a PC alternative. With the Xbone it will make choosing what version of a game to get a little harder.

One of my favorite things about the Xbone, is backing out of a game to do something else, like Skype, or browsing the different apps or stores etc, and then jumping right back into the game with no loading times or loss of progress. We finally have a console version of "alt-tabbing".

Being able to redeem some codes using QR codes with the Kinect is amazing. Redeeming The "Day One" codes included in my games, was a case of just holding the card up to Johnny 5 and it nearly instantly read it. Wish every code had this.

It's pretty cool to have the Kinect recognize you and automatically log you in. When I left the room to let updates download, the next time I walked in, the Kinect would see me and automatically snap out of power saving mode.

The in game DVR is pretty nice too. Although the videos it records are pretty grainy and compressed looking. Only 720p as well. Saying "Xbox record that" to record the last 30 seconds of gameplay will be great for games like Battlefield, where some really WTF or neat stuff often randomly happens. (it also always records the last 5 minutes of gameplay, but you have to go into the DVR software to use any of it)

I've only played Forza and Ryse so far. Love Forza, and Ryse probably deserves the 61/100 Metacritic rating it has. It looks nice, but it will get old fast.

I'm enjoying mine so far. I feel like I made the right choice to buy the Xbone first. Still want a PS4 later, but there's nothing for it yet that I want to play that isn't also on PC or Xbone.

I refuse to buy a flight sim that I have no interest in playing, on the off chance that MAYBE someday they'll make the one I really want to play.

#3866749 - 11/23/13 05:32 AM Re: OK, Xbox Boner owners... first impressions... [Re: Magnum]  
SkateZilla Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
SkateZilla  Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran

Virginia Beach, VA
Snap the Web Browser to the side, no more getting up to goto a laptop to get a Walk-Through :P

HAF922, Corsair RM850, ASRock Fata1ity 990FX Pro,
Modified Corsair H100, AMD FX8350 @ 5.31GHz, 16GB G.SKILL@DDR2133,
2x R7970 Lightnings, +1 HD7950 @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Fata1ity Platinum Champ.,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns�G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050), Oculus Rift CV
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throt., Pro Pedals, TM Warthog & MFDs, Fanatec CSR Wheel/Shifter, Elite Pedals
Intensity Pro 10-Bit, TrackIR 4 Pro, WD Black 1.5TB, WD Black 640GB, Samsung 850 500GB, My Book 4TB
#3866760 - 11/23/13 06:53 AM Re: OK, Xbox Boner owners... first impressions... [Re: Magnum]  
Goalie Offline
Goalie  Offline

BC, Canada
So far I'm pretty happy with my One. I'd have to say my experience pretty much mirrors HogDriver except the day one patch downloaded in a matter of minutes. My local store didn't have any of the games I wanted so I wound up getting Forza via digital download.

Forza is just over 30GB. It's been about 3 hours and I'm sitting at 50% right now. I could play the game after about 20 minutes of downloading. I've completed a few races and have to say it looks beautiful. I skipped Forza 4 for the 360 but it seems like a nice upgrade from what I remember Forza 3 being. Drivatars should be an interesting addition.

I prefer the One's interface over the PS4, but I really warmed up to Windows 8 so that might be why. The PS4's interface just seems dated to me. It's basic and it works, it just feels lacking for some reason.

Kinect works much better than I thought it would. Voice commands I'd say work 80% of the time like HogDriver said. I find the biggest issue I have is just not knowing all the commands. I need to find a list of all the voice commands you can use.

The console is pretty much a big black box and surprisingly heavy. I'm actually happy to see the size, knowing that it has tons of ventilation and a large fan inside. I don't foresee any overheating issues. It runs cool and nearly silent. I'd say it's quieter than my PS4.

If you have to get the newest thing out or have a tech addiction I'd say you can't go wrong with either one. Time will tell if the PS4's GPU advantage will make a big difference. If your on the fence and happy with your PS3 or 360 I don't see a reason to upgrade at the moment. There are some great games but the selection is limited at the moment. I'm sure in six months when more games are out it will be much more compelling to upgrade.

I have a feeling my Xbox One will get more time than my PS4, but then again there are more exclusives on the Xbox side that I'm interested in. Either console is a great choice and I really think this round will be pretty tight. It will be interesting to see how the consoles evolve over the next year or two.

#3866761 - 11/23/13 06:55 AM Re: OK, Xbox Boner owners... first impressions... [Re: Magnum]  
Goalie Offline
Goalie  Offline

BC, Canada
I should also add I haven't had any issues with Xbox Live but I didn't get home from work until after 6PM Pacific time so I may have missed the initial wave of people upgrading and downloading.

I had far more issues with PSN on day one than Live.

#3866812 - 11/23/13 01:35 PM Re: OK, Xbox Boner owners... first impressions... [Re: Magnum]  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida
Oh I admit Leemz, I'm looking for justification on buying the new Xbox One, but unfortunately, at this point I'm not really seeing one.

Like I sad before, IF I still had my man-cave then I would already have it, but when it will be hoked to my PC monitor HDTV, 2 feet away... WHY? I already have a Alienware X51 that kicks ass... plays all my PC exclusives like SB Pro PE, DCS, and Combat Mission... but also already have in all it's PC glory, compared to consoles... Ghost, BF4, AC:BF, NFS Rivals... and all play and support my gamepad nicely. And got my old gaming group, Tactical Gamer, back to play with which require comms, teamwork, and tactics... like I got with the console... hell, I don't even know why I keep my 360... maybe for the EA sport titles I rarely play but like.

I want to move on away from consoles, away from gaming in general... but like you said... to me it's an addiction... so who knows... must be strong. wink

#3866818 - 11/23/13 01:51 PM Re: OK, Xbox Boner owners... first impressions... [Re: Magnum]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
Can anyone say how they attached their current headsets to the ONE?

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle
#3866824 - 11/23/13 02:24 PM Re: OK, Xbox Boner owners... first impressions... [Re: Magnum]  
ripper998 Offline
ripper998  Offline

San Antonio, Tx
Curious why the drive to move away from gaming mags?

#3866828 - 11/23/13 02:40 PM Re: OK, Xbox Boner owners... first impressions... [Re: Magnum]  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida
bored of it all, and new interest... Scuba Diving and Motorcycle cruising.

#3866845 - 11/23/13 03:35 PM Re: OK, Xbox Boner owners... first impressions... [Re: Mace71]  
HogDriver Offline
Retired Flight Simmer
HogDriver  Offline
Retired Flight Simmer

Originally Posted By: MaceUK33
Can anyone say how they attached their current headsets to the ONE?

None of the current headsets work with the Xbone. I think they are making an adapter for them later on though I could be wrong.

I bought BF4, Zoo Tycoon, and Powerstar Golf today. Played one match of BF4 and it was amazing on Xbone. Ran better than my PC version. Would still be playing right now if my wife didn't want me to install Zoo Tycoon for her. (3 GB update, so a couple hours to wait)

Powerstar Golf is kind of fun but looks like a 360 game.

Magnum I know how you feel about games. I'm in a similar mindset with sims at the moment. Nobody's making any I want to play. At this point I'm happier just to play console and other kinds of games.

I refuse to buy a flight sim that I have no interest in playing, on the off chance that MAYBE someday they'll make the one I really want to play.

#3867253 - 11/24/13 07:49 PM Re: OK, Xbox Boner owners... first impressions... [Re: Magnum]  
ForSquirrels Offline
Veteran
ForSquirrels  Offline
Veteran

The One comes with a headset, but current ones won't work with it. I am pretty sure my Turtle Beach wired headset won't work since it used the red and white RCA cables for sound from the console and unless I missed it there isn't anywhere for them to plug in on the One.

I have my One plugged in with my DirecTV receiver. OneGuide works decently, although I haven't used that too much. Swapping channels with voice control is pretty decent, my only problem was the Kinect misunderstanding me a few times, usually because as soon as I started trying voice control my toddler started trying to repeat what I was saying. When it works voice command is pretty sweet though.

Everything seems like it loads pretty fast (well, once it is installed, I think Ghosts took 30-45 mins to download and install a patch before it was playable) and getting into a game feels a lot faster than anything on my 360 did. I can get things to snap to the side but haven't played too much with getting them to work, almost everything seems like it has to load full screen to get set up first and since I was just looking around I didn't bother with it too much.

The only problem that I have had (aside from dealing with my toddler yelling over my voice commands) is the party chat. I got into a party on Friday night with a friend. I could see both of us transmitting he was in party chat and I wasn't so we couldn't hear each other. It took 20 minutes of messages back and forth to realize that I was in a sub-menu of the party and had to back out to enable chat. When you join a party I don't get why it isn't enabled by default. We had another friend who joined later on and said he had a similar issue with his first party earlier.

With the emphasis on digital versions of games I don't see why MS didn't put a 1TB hard drive in the One. With each game being 30-50GB downloads it won't take much of a library with that and apps and your game videos on the DVR to fill up. At least thats what I am assuming, although I just have one game so far.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when it deserves it."
--Mark Twain

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.

XBL: fmdckr81
#3867260 - 11/24/13 08:45 PM Re: OK, Xbox Boner owners... first impressions... [Re: ForSquirrels]  
Goalie Offline
Goalie  Offline

BC, Canada
I've read MS will at least allow external storage on the Xbox One via a software update. It would be nice if we could upgrade the hard drive like the Playstation.

I do like the fact that the PS4 controller has a standard headphone jack on it. Much nicer than having to get a set of proprietary headphones.

#3867272 - 11/24/13 09:44 PM Re: OK, Xbox Boner owners... first impressions... [Re: ForSquirrels]  
SkateZilla Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
SkateZilla  Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran

Virginia Beach, VA
Originally Posted By: ForSquirrels
The One comes with a headset, but current ones won't work with it. I am pretty sure my Turtle Beach wired headset won't work since it used the red and white RCA cables for sound from the console and unless I missed it there isn't anywhere for them to plug in on the One.

You need an 3.5 MM to RCA Composite Cable

IE ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882719271 )

Which plugs into the 3.5mm AV Port next to the Ethernet.

HAF922, Corsair RM850, ASRock Fata1ity 990FX Pro,
Modified Corsair H100, AMD FX8350 @ 5.31GHz, 16GB G.SKILL@DDR2133,
2x R7970 Lightnings, +1 HD7950 @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Fata1ity Platinum Champ.,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns�G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050), Oculus Rift CV
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throt., Pro Pedals, TM Warthog & MFDs, Fanatec CSR Wheel/Shifter, Elite Pedals
Intensity Pro 10-Bit, TrackIR 4 Pro, WD Black 1.5TB, WD Black 640GB, Samsung 850 500GB, My Book 4TB
#3867382 - 11/25/13 04:21 AM Re: OK, Xbox Boner owners... first impressions... [Re: Magnum]  
ripper998 Offline
ripper998  Offline

San Antonio, Tx
My brother in law picked one up, he and my sister were over for a family dinner last night and I asked him his impression. Now he hadnt hooked it up to his cable box yet, but he said it was pretty meh. He couldnt see a huge difference between it and the xbox 360 for bf4. He said it still slows down in the same places on Operation Locker which he hoped it wouldnt. Overall he was expecting more but again, he isnt using it yet for the other features.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.