Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#3863586 - 11/17/13 04:24 AM Re: X Rebirth only about 2 months away [Re: letterboy1]  
MojoFlow Offline
MojoFlow  Offline

Moose Jaw, SK Canada
Come on guys, HOTAS are so second millennia, when flying my space ships in the third millennia, I use...

my BRAIN!!!

http://www.skierpage.com/blog/2013/11/computers-william-gibson-and-brain-interfaces/

smile

Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#3863588 - 11/17/13 04:35 AM Re: X Rebirth only about 2 months away [Re: havoc04]  
tusler Offline
tusler  Offline

Hemet California
Originally Posted By: havoc04
Ok guys word of WARNING
If you are a HOTAS user like me (WARTHOG)
Prepare to be VERY disappointed. Cant use rudder pedals, alotta buttons can't be mapped. The game looks nice but as far as function for Multi ID HOTAS systems youre outta luck frown

Yep i preordered the thing and my Saitek Pedals and Thrustmaster HOTAS refuse to be configured. I have to unplug them to play with the Keyboard and mouse. Combat totally sucks flying with the default equipment.
Feels like I just wasted $$$. Should've bought an addon for FSX or gave the money to DCS F35 quickstart

If I had a crew chief my sim-race car would be fast too.
In All the Fun...Don't forget to ask Jesus to Save You before it's too late!
#3863589 - 11/17/13 04:38 AM Re: X Rebirth only about 2 months away [Re: letterboy1]  
FlashBurn Offline
FlashBurn  Offline

Washington State, USA
OOOOOGGGGGHHHHHH Gibson... More of a neal Stephen guy myself.. I mean Mafia pizza guy... come on now..

#3863597 - 11/17/13 04:58 AM Re: X Rebirth only about 2 months away [Re: letterboy1]  
MojoFlow Offline
MojoFlow  Offline

Moose Jaw, SK Canada
Just finished the audiobook of Snow Crash, had been a while since I first read it..

They are both great.

On topic,

I held off on purchasing this X game just because I am cheap right now, and have several games in Steam that I haven't even played yet. I plan on picking this up around Christmas (Steam sale FTW), I am sure they will have the main bugs sorted out by then.

I can't really disagree with them 'dumbing it down' if they did do that for this iteration. I remember about 3 false starts trying to get into X3 Terran Conflict, and not 'getting it' until I followed some in depth tutorials.

Appreciate hearing the feedback from those that have played it though.

Cheers!

#3863600 - 11/17/13 05:00 AM Re: X Rebirth only about 2 months away [Re: tusler]  
FlashBurn Offline
FlashBurn  Offline

Washington State, USA
Originally Posted By: tusler
Ok guys word of WARNING
Prepare to be VERY disappointed. Cant use rudder pedals, alotta buttons can't be mapped. The game looks nice but as far as function for Multi ID HOTAS systems youre outta luck frown

Yep i preordered the thing and my Saitek Pedals and Thrustmaster HOTAS refuse to be configured. I have to unplug them to play with the Keyboard and mouse. Combat totally sucks flying with the default equipment.
Feels like I just wasted $$$. Should've bought an addon for FSX or gave the money to DCS F35 quickstart

Each on of those is on its on joystick ID number.. and X stuff only supports 1. You can set the joystick to id 1 somewhere. Either within windows and maybe in game DONT KNOW. ANd yes that is LAME. In same boat. Although I could care less about the pedals working personally.

I am PRAYING they change that will all the flak right now. Should have been YEARS AGO IMO. BUt there is ppjoy... that can take those devices and fakes 1 device. But it will not give 100 percent functionality AND only works in windows Dev mod.

#3863601 - 11/17/13 05:07 AM Re: X Rebirth only about 2 months away [Re: MojoFlow]  
FlashBurn Offline
FlashBurn  Offline

Washington State, USA
Originally Posted By: MojoFlow
Just finished the audiobook of Snow Crash, had been a while since I first read it..

They are both great.

On topic,

I held off on purchasing this X game just because I am cheap right now, and have several games in Steam that I haven't even played yet. I plan on picking this up around Christmas (Steam sale FTW), I am sure they will have the main bugs sorted out by then.

I can't really disagree with them 'dumbing it down' if they did do that for this iteration. I remember about 3 false starts trying to get into X3 Terran Conflict, and not 'getting it' until I followed some in depth tutorials.

Appreciate hearing the feedback from those that have played it though.

Cheers!

Back off topic...

Years ago at seattle sci fi museum they had the original hand written manuscript of snow crash. Made my day. biggrin Actually a semi important novel as it gave us the term Avatar and others. Also some musings into internet. And its a DAMNED entertaining book.

Ok back on topic..

On the dumbing down... time will tell. Not going to lie.. I NEVER figured out how to build a space station. And the time I went all commerce it ended badly when I lost my trading fleet...to something? NO idea what.

#3863623 - 11/17/13 06:15 AM Re: X Rebirth only about 2 months away [Re: FlashBurn]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted By: FlashBurn
Originally Posted By: tusler
Ok guys word of WARNING

Each on of those is on its on joystick ID number.. and X stuff only supports 1. You can set the joystick to id 1 somewhere. Either within windows and maybe in game DONT KNOW. ANd yes that is LAME. In same boat. Although I could care less about the pedals working personally.

I am PRAYING they change that will all the flak right now. Should have been YEARS AGO IMO. BUt there is ppjoy... that can take those devices and fakes 1 device. But it will not give 100 percent functionality AND only works in windows Dev mod.

If you have a Cougar and modded pedals you can have everything on one joystick ID. It took me a bit of work to re-wire my CH Pro Pedals but it has been extremely useful in a lot of sims.

#3863648 - 11/17/13 07:43 AM Re: X Rebirth only about 2 months away [Re: letterboy1]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
This isn't DCS Space ship. Next complaint will be that you cant click the buttons and there aren't the correct amount of rivets...

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle
#3863652 - 11/17/13 07:51 AM Re: X Rebirth only about 2 months away [Re: letterboy1]  
Tempered Offline
Tempered  Offline

Well actually, it is a console port. Or maybe originally intended for consoles.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/2870/discussions/0/648811852432360549/

Last edited by Tempered; 11/17/13 07:52 AM.
#3863653 - 11/17/13 07:51 AM Re: X Rebirth only about 2 months away [Re: letterboy1]  
FlashBurn Offline
FlashBurn  Offline

Washington State, USA
Well Im pissed off that I am not jacked into the ship and I do not have an advanced AI that can react 10000 times faster than me. Why do I need buttons if I can interface directly with the ship?

OK fine its getting late and I lost my mind. biggrin

It is sort of funny. Ill let it rest. Still trying to figure out why so many "space ships" have wings.

I do not think its a console port.. It MIGHT get ported and everything points that way. As soon as they went borkers with xbox controller support for prelude it seemed a NO BRAINER that X was going that way. Nothing wrong with that IMO. Just as long as it goes full PC version and hacked up console version. biggrin

Last edited by FlashBurn; 11/17/13 07:55 AM.
#3863663 - 11/17/13 08:25 AM Re: X Rebirth only about 2 months away [Re: Tempered]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
Originally Posted By: Tempered

I wouldn't believe ANYTHING from the steam forums.

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle
#3863665 - 11/17/13 08:30 AM Re: X Rebirth only about 2 months away [Re: Tempered]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
This is not a "console port".

Anyone that followed the prerelease trailers and dev info knew the game was supposed to be more accessible aka "dumbed down", those that pre-ordered and are surprised about that now and raging about it didn't pay enough attention.

This series has a well known problem of being overly complicated to learn, and overly convoluted to master the more advanced 4X game features, many of us previous owners and fans of the series complained about that (even here in SimHQ) and so the devs were actually listening to previous fans/owners when they "dumbed it down", what they could have done better is leave in the old hotkey commands for the longtime players, and they've said they are going to put those hotkeys back in.

There are plenty of legitimate complaints about this release (poor joystick support, crashes etc) but repeatedly complaining that it's a console port is tired news...

i7-7700k@4.5ghz, GTX1080Ti,BenQ XL2420G-g-sync,Oculus Rift
#3863685 - 11/17/13 09:34 AM Re: X Rebirth only about 2 months away [Re: Mace71]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Originally Posted By: MaceUK33
Originally Posted By: peppergomez
Why must a space game have joystick controls?

Wow. Really?

Yes, really. Why should they? We use them in flight sims because that's what they really have but space games are pure fantasy so why MUST they have joystick control?

I am not saying they shouldn't, but people are not buying it because of that reason and I do not understand that.
In the lunar lander they use a joystick for rotational control and a T handle for translation moves

Joystick on the left and T handle on the right

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#3863720 - 11/17/13 01:24 PM Re: X Rebirth only about 2 months away [Re: letterboy1]  
shan2 Offline
Veteran
shan2  Offline
Veteran

Maryland, USA
It's incredible how primitive that looks after seeing the glass cockpits from modern jets. eek

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever.
#3863871 - 11/17/13 09:39 PM Re: X Rebirth only about 2 months away [Re: letterboy1]  
Tempered Offline
Tempered  Offline

@Alicatt

It's .... beautiful! cheers Thanks for the pic.

#3863878 - 11/17/13 10:05 PM Re: X Rebirth only about 2 months away [Re: Mace71]  
Tempered Offline
Tempered  Offline

Okay, how about this one.

http://i.imgur.com/8H5fsDy.png

#3863883 - 11/17/13 10:21 PM Re: X Rebirth only about 2 months away [Re: Tempered]  
FearlessFrog Offline
FearlessFrog  Offline

I know nothing about the game smile but it's not uncommon to have build symbols like XBOX360 in the shader output even if you don't target the console - it's just how the MS DX libs work. It's not quite a 'second shooter on grassy knoll' proof or anything smile

Having read a few comments about it (thanks ICE for the write-up btw), and having been a X3 player before, it does though seem that they made a number of design decisions to simplify gameplay, i.e. target controller layouts and reduce the trade/think/empire stuff. My best guess given how Egosoft have released titles in the past is that they had a bit of a brainfart about going more 'mainstream' in terms of gameplay, got hopelessly behind schedule after 7 years of dev and then decided to shove it out the door regardless (or go bust). The graphics look great, so perhaps just a case of lots of things will be added over time (both by ES and mods). It's not nice for fans of the old series, but it'll take a few more months/years to bake over time, ES have always been good about this in the past and the X series have always been kinda rough at launch..

I still plan to pick it up, although at the Christmas steam sale or something. X games take a long time to play.. smile

Edit: Also, just noticed on Steam that it's a 64-bit only game with a recommended 8GB of memory. If they were targeting the consoles / Xbox 360 then it would have been a tight squeeze with textures/geometry like that..

Last edited by FearlessFrog; 11/17/13 10:32 PM.
#3863889 - 11/17/13 10:48 PM Re: X Rebirth only about 2 months away [Re: Tempered]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.

You really want this to be a port? It isn't, but if it makes you happy to think it is then carry on.

#3863912 - 11/18/13 12:10 AM Re: X Rebirth only about 2 months away [Re: letterboy1]  
Tempered Offline
Tempered  Offline

I don't really want to believe anything. My mind doesn't work that way. I see the world and analyze what I see for what it is, based on the evidence available. I'll just drop the subject if it upsets you.

Last edited by Tempered; 11/18/13 12:10 AM.
#3863966 - 11/18/13 03:14 AM Re: X Rebirth only about 2 months away [Re: FearlessFrog]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted By: FearlessFrog
My best guess given how Egosoft have released titles in the past is that they had a bit of a brainfart about going more 'mainstream' in terms of gameplay, got hopelessly behind schedule after 7 years of dev and then decided to shove it out the door regardless (or go bust). The graphics look great, so perhaps just a case of lots of things will be added over time (both by ES and mods). It's not nice for fans of the old series, but it'll take a few more months/years to bake over time, ES have always been good about this in the past and the X series have always been kinda rough at launch..

Good insight FearlessFrog, it really does feel like someone in management made the decision to cut bait and force it out the door in a unfinished and not well playbalanced state.

The space combat and the graphics and the detailed station exteriors are definitely an improvement from previous games, when you fly by the hydroponics units and manufacturing facilities you see all these little detailed activities which bring the place to life, not to mention all the busy ship traffic within each zone doing their thing, parking, loading etc. This makes flying around playing a space tourist pretty fun in itself, especially with the ease of the XB360 controls.

But there's other key design ideas that are obviously unfinished, the inside of stations which sounded great but is pretty boring, empty and repetitive, the conversation tree which was a good idea but poorly implemented with dialogue options and voice acting that is comical at times, the NPC face graphics that use the same angry wrinkly old face for both genders making the NPCs look very strange old and angry, and most importantly the campaign which is buggy and doesn't give enough info on how to accomplish some of the more complicated things, along with some of the new menus which are actually not very intuitive at this point either.

So while most of the raging and complaining from longtime X fans focuses on the dumbing down or "console port" which they've always been against and hoped would fail, IMHO the real problem is that Egosoft shipped this in a unfinished state at a premium non-beta price.

Skyrim was a very dumbed down RPG compared to the traditional RPGs, but it never would have become GOTY and one of my personal favorites if it shipped with so many unfinished or buggy "dumbed down" features.

We know EGOSoft has a good track record of patching and enhancing their previous rushed games, and so there's a good chance that they will use the premium retail sales income to step up to do what is needed to finish it (they won't recover from this fiasco otherwise), barring that I think the modders will be able to tweak or eliminate some of the bothersome stuff, both of those things could still make this a great game experience in the long run, for now I am still enjoying flying around exploring, fighting, experimenting with the features.

This probably still won't satisfy the longtime X fans who want their dumbing down or console port predictions to be true.

PS. Some mods are already coming out to improve things:
http://xrebirth.nexusmods.com/?tb=mod&pUp=1

i7-7700k@4.5ghz, GTX1080Ti,BenQ XL2420G-g-sync,Oculus Rift
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.