Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#3860373 - 11/09/13 09:54 AM Re: Star Citizen Rage post from their forum [Re: kludger]  
Wodin Offline
Wodin  Offline

Liverpool
I agree..the worst thing is he probably isn't the only one..comparing the money paid in with the amount of backers.

Originally Posted By: kludger
He spent 2 grand on this game?

Something tells me this is just the beginning of this guys' dissapointment run...

#3860387 - 11/09/13 12:32 PM Re: Star Citizen Rage post from their forum [Re: Discord]  
Speyer Offline
Speyer  Offline

Some people are in 15k...

#3860399 - 11/09/13 01:08 PM Re: Star Citizen Rage post from their forum [Re: Discord]  
shan2 Offline
Veteran
shan2  Offline
Veteran

Maryland, USA
Holy crap! If given the choice, I would happily buy ships with real money for a released game...but that is a lot of optimism. ..

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever.
#3860442 - 11/09/13 04:48 PM Re: Star Citizen Rage post from their forum [Re: Discord]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

A lot of us spent quite a bit of money when the game still was not a certain that it would be released. (before they met their fundraising goal.)

15k on a game is a lot. But if you have money (and lots of it) 15k is the price of a weekend vacation or a night out at a really expensive club with a group of friend.

2k on a game isnt. If you took all the money you wasted eating out or buying smokes / liquor you would put 2k into a game over a year period and still have extra money left over.

I dont have 2k in the game but I do have about 1k and I dont feel bad about spending that money at all. There just is not a game out there that will do what this game promises and I have no problem spending extra money to help them make it better. At this point they cant afford to make a crappy game else no one in their crew will ever work in the industry again.

Hell, I spent more than that on FSX addons over the years anyways and no one ever called me crazy for that.

Last edited by Master; 11/09/13 04:50 PM.
#3860446 - 11/09/13 05:01 PM Re: Star Citizen Rage post from their forum [Re: Discord]  
Feetwet Offline
Son of Birmingham
Feetwet  Offline
Son of Birmingham

Houston, Tx
Hey Master, not trying to make u feel bad. In my spare time I might want to,work on one of your ships as a gunner. I'm cross eyed so I will be cheap biggrin .

MWO callsign Feetwet
#3860464 - 11/09/13 06:34 PM Re: Star Citizen Rage post from their forum [Re: Discord]  
shan2 Offline
Veteran
shan2  Offline
Veteran

Maryland, USA
Master,

I'd have no problem dropping a few large on a finished and available game. But Star Citizen isn't even in Alpha. That's the part that bugs me. But to each their own. People of have a right to spend their own money the way they see fit.

#3860470 - 11/09/13 06:56 PM Re: Star Citizen Rage post from their forum [Re: shan2]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Originally Posted By: shan2
Master,

I'd have no problem dropping a few large on a finished and available game. But Star Citizen isn't even in Alpha. That's the part that bugs me. But to each their own. People of have a right to spend their own money the way they see fit.

The only problem with that is in this case if all these whales didnt drop the large money on it when it was in crowd funding then the game would have either never been made or made at a very reduced budget. The whales are the ones who generated all the game hype with the news sites which in turn brought in all the smaller backers.

Dont get me wrong. I fully understand your viewpoint and normally I would NEVER have spend 1k on a video game let alone a game that is 2-3 years out from being finished. But like I said if no one spent the big money to fund the game it would never have been feasible to make it. So I am glad those people did so and I am glad to put in my 1k too.

What I dont like though is all those people who dropped big money into the game and now feel like they are owed something special. That is not even remotely what the crowd funding was about and yet you see it time and time again on their official forums.

THOSE are the whales you should be searching for! smile

#3860488 - 11/09/13 08:11 PM Re: Star Citizen Rage post from their forum [Re: Discord]  
shan2 Offline
Veteran
shan2  Offline
Veteran

Maryland, USA
Oh, I'm not whale hunting. I prefer the role of a mercenary to pirate--it's a lot less time intensive. smile

I understand the role of the people backing this game and the feature creep that allows. Frankly, I'd be happy just to get Squadron 42. It's perplexing the degree of faith people have put into the vision of one man. Really, when was the last time that Chris Roberts put out a space sim? 12 years ago, right?

I loved almost every one of the games he put out for Origin. But that was the last century. That's why I'm taking a wait-and-see attitude with the funding. If it works out, I reap the benefits that the original backers funding the game. If it doesn't...I don't lose too much.

On the other hand, I'm willing to spend much more after the game is released than the starter ship package I bought. And I hope there are a lot of people with a similar mindset so the game can expand after release.

#3860505 - 11/09/13 09:26 PM Re: Star Citizen Rage post from their forum [Re: Discord]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
I'm just happy my little contribution helped get the game past the initial campaign. Still holding on to my original Freelancer but have been chopping and changing the others.

There is a further sale of the time limited ships on 26Nov so anyone wanting one of those M50s or Starfarers or even the Idris Corvette the time is almost here. Ben Lesnik (WCLoaf) said they would post up a list of ships and at what times they would be available.

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#3868429 - 11/27/13 05:34 PM Re: Star Citizen Rage post from their forum [Re: Master]  
strykerpsg Offline
strykerpsg  Offline

Land of the Morning Calm
Originally Posted By: Master
Hell, I spent more than that on FSX addons over the years anyways and no one ever called me crazy for that.

Amen on that. Mine has been sitting untouched for more than a year now and with this coming down the pipeline, it may very well go unused for quite some time.

Laptop:
Alienware M17 R3
i7-6820MQ
32 GB DDR3 1600Mhz memory, Win10 Pro 64 bit, DX11,
24GB GTX 980M video
Alienware Graphics Amplifier w GTX 1080 Strix Edition 8GB
A-10 Warthog HOTAS Joystick w/ Pedals
#3868743 - 11/28/13 01:18 PM Re: Star Citizen Rage post from their forum [Re: shan2]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Frankly, I'd be happy just to get Squadron 42.

Yes, me too!

Actually I have some mixed feeling regarding the main subject in this thread:
- I do understand that those who bought ships that were supposed to be "limited editions" are "pissed" because after some time those same ships where available for everyone else and without being limited. This is a matter of NOT being faithful to what was "promised". Afterall there were people that actually bought those ships because they were "limited" or else some of these same people wouldn't never bought those same ships (would probably buy others or even none).
- But I also understand the need for the devs to make everything possible to gather funds in order to be completely and totally independent or any publisher, retailer, or any other "third party" investor. This made me respect these guys very much - making a AAA game (which currently the gaming market is almost only composed by CoD, Battlefield and GTA series) without the need of a publisher and any other major investor which in the end will always dictate how or in what terms the game should be released is an "almost impossible" task!

Fortunally for me, I basically only care about "Squadron 42" and don't care that much about the "Star Citizen" part. I may or could end up playing "Star Citizen" but if and when I do it, I'll probably play it only in a private dedicated server with my friends - I doubt that I'll play (at least seriously) in the "official" Star Citizen" server. Regarding the "official" Star Citizen" server, I'll probably end up try it a bit for an hour or two tops but I likely won't return.
I also only "invested" $50 in this game (which is the "normal price" for a game), so the situation that "triggered" this thread and doesn't affect me at all!

It's perplexing the degree of faith people have put into the vision of one man. Really, when was the last time that Chris Roberts put out a space sim? 12 years ago, right?

Don't get me wrong, but the "faith people have put into the vision of one man" in this case Chris Roberts is very well-founded because if there's someone (and probably the only one) who's capable to putting up and successfully completing a project of this scope, that person is certainly Chris Roberts!
I don't know when did you start playing video/computer games, but in my case I started in a ZX Spectrum in the mid 80's and then I moved to a 386 PC and one thing I can tell you regarding video/computer games:
- There's a before Wing Commander (by Chris Roberts) and there's an after Wing Commander! Wing Commander definitely revolutionized how games looked and played, for example before Wing Commander, 3D objects (if and when existed) weren't textured (they were simply colored polygons). With this I remember that for example before Wing Commander, ALL games fitted inside a low density floppy disk and you could even have several games inside a single floppy disk (even more if it was an high density one) but with Wing Commander you needed 4 high density floppy disks! biggrin That was extremely remarkable at that time!
Also an another important mark in the gaming industry (and also by Chris Roberts) was Strike Commander, this sim/game implemented a 3D cockpit, textured terrain which are features that all of we flight simmers can't live without and which again it was "pioneered" by Chris Roberts and most of the things we currently have in terms of PC sim technology are the same as in Strike Commander but of course more evolved (such as more texture and screen resolutions for example)!

So yes, people (like me) have more than enough reasons to put a LOT of faith in Chris Roberts. I doubt that currently there is someone else in the gamming industry that could do what he's doing with Start Citizen.

#3868834 - 11/28/13 03:29 PM Re: Star Citizen Rage post from their forum [Re: Discord]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

It is not just "faith" as when he first did his crowd funding he had a fully working beautiful looking prototype. It is not like everyone blindly threw money at him. They saw who it was and what he already had and knew it was something they wanted to happen.

#3868858 - 11/28/13 04:11 PM Re: Star Citizen Rage post from their forum [Re: Discord]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Personally I have been waiting for something like this since Privateer 2

The first computer game to "hook" me was Elite on the BBC B, before that it was typing in BASIC programs with a ZX80 at home and at college machine code programing with an AIM65, so Elite was the big thing with me. Move on a little and I built myself a 386SX with a 387 maths co-pro and Strike Commander came out and I could not play it on my 386, I had to use my brother's 486DX machine, I loved the game play and the graphics in it then I got Wing Commander 3 and that made me look around for WC1&2 missed privateer but got WC 4 and then Privateer 2 and Roberts was in the blood then smile

I never seen Freelancer until just over a year ago when I found a still sealed copy in a store in Germany.

So I really have been looking for that game that got me lost in the stars like Elite and Privateer2 did and pledged and subscribed to try and make sure it was going to get made. I first registered for SC in Sept 2012 so have been there since the beginning when it was unsure that it was going to go ahead. Since then I have met a few fellow Citizens and have made some good friends in a lot of different countries.

I'm the one in the Scottish Kilt smile

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.