Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
#3855231 - 10/28/13 05:52 PM Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64  
Andromedius Offline
I Love Camembert
Andromedius  Offline
I Love Camembert

Nancy, North-East of FRANCE
Hi, everyone,

First, let me briefly introduce myself : I'm a long time lurker of these forums I've always quite enjoyed due to the passion and expertise of many of you,'virtual' and real pilots.
I'm a 45 years old french litterature teacher living in France (no surprise here) and I've been 'simming around' for the last 30 years, enjoying almost every flight simulator 'games' from the golden era to the very latest titles of our time. pilot

The reason why I break my silence pattern is that a few weeks ago I decided to fire up some of my all my good old sims, including 'my' Jane's collection (Jane's USNF, Jane's Longbow 2, Jane's F-15, Jane's USAF) and the DID titles (EF2000 2.0, F-22 ADF, Total Air War).

while I'm currently running a Seven 64 bits OS, the amazing thing is that I succeded in playing with most of them. And right now, I'm having such a great time! O the nostalgia...

But when i tried to launch Jane's F-15, I ended up like everyone else with the same issue regarding 'the dead-menus syndrome'. Reading these forums, I found out a work-around (the 'Ctrl+Alt+Del'trick)that allowed me eventually to play this great game again. But still, it was kinda frustrating and I'm an obstinate one.

Then I had a strange idea: I decided to add the Jane's F-15.exe to my Steam platform (obviously as a non-steam game...) and guess what ? The game launched and the menus were fixed !!!
Right now, those of you who were banging their heads against huge thick walls (in a totally metaphorical way, I hope) are problably quite happy to read that, but... as always there's a catch banghead , hence the 'partial' in the title of my post.

Indeed, things are not that good... Let me explain. Though the mission editor, the training mode and the quick action mode, are fully functionnal, the Custom missions and the Campaign crash. Yeah, I feel your pain, but all is not lost...

I found out that you could fix the custom missions issue quite easily by copying them in the "training folder of the game" (there are in fact no difference between missions and training mission).
In doing so, I was able to play the great 'First Night Mission', courtesy of Eric 'Snacko' Marlow, without any glitches (I had access to the full briefing, map and loadout designed for this mission). And that felt amazing...

So that leaves us with the campaign issue which unfortunately I can't do nothing about - so I'll resort to the 'Ctrl-Alt-Del fix' to play it again.

But I can say that we got a lot already fixed by this 'Steam-trick' :

-'Training'
-'Reference'
-'Options'
-'Quick missions mode'
-'Custom missions' (transfered to the training folder).
-'Mission Builder/Editor'.

And I'd really like to know if this really works for the rest of you, Jane's F-15 simmers...

Anyways, I thought this could prove useful and that maybe someone more skilled than me (trust me, it's not that hard...) could step in and solve this last issue. But for now, I'm quite happy with this 'partial fix'.
Getting back to 'the Mud' is a real treat... Good Times.

I do hope reading this long text wasn't a burden to you all (hopefully I didn't make a fool out of me and there aren't too many spelling mistakes...)

Have a great day, wherever you are, and fly fun and safe,

Over and out, salute

Andromedius.

p.s : And, by the way, the smileys on these boards are awesome...

Last edited by Andromedius; 11/10/13 10:53 AM.

'Au Royaume des aveugles, les borgnes sont mal vus'. Pierre Dac.
In the land of the blind, one-eyed men are badly looked upon.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3855512 - 10/29/13 12:08 PM Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. [Re: Andromedius]  
Andromedius Offline
I Love Camembert
Andromedius  Offline
I Love Camembert

Well, I'm getting back to you after some feedback from several friends who tried 'the steam fix' and I bring bad news...

Sadly, this trick doesn't seem to work for everyone.
The custom missions brought into the training folder make the game crash when you try to access some options before. oops

Strangely enough, the game will let you open the map and the target view pretty easily. You can fire up the mission and play it just fine... as long as you don't try to mess with the loadout and the crew. There's a workaround if you play the mission as it is, but it has too many limitations to deliver a satisfying experience.

The odd thing is I don't encounter this issue on my computer, so I'll try to find out why I seem to be immune to this instablility.
Wonders of Windows... Go figure...

In the meantime, I sincerely apologize for getting some of your hopes up but maybe someone else can dig up and find a solution. notworthy
If the issue with Jane's USAF menus was eventually solved, I guess it is probably doable with Jane's F-15...

Still a partial fix then, but not good enough for now...

Over and out,

Andromedius.

ps : For those of you who may be interested, here's my dropbox public link for Eric 'Snacko' Marlow's 'First Night' mission :
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14017931/First_Night.rar

Last edited by Andromedius; 10/29/13 01:53 PM.

#3856464 - 10/31/13 09:03 AM Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. [Re: Andromedius]  
Goose Offline
Goose  Offline

Thanks for your effors. I have a XP copy installed in my computer in order to play Jane's F-15 from time to time, but it's a pity that doesn't work in Windows 7.

#3856492 - 10/31/13 11:14 AM Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. [Re: Andromedius]  
damson Offline
damson  Offline

Hiding in the bushes
Originally Posted By: Andromedius

If the issue with Jane's USAF menus was eventually solved, I guess it is probably doable with Jane's F-15...

Was it solved on Windows 7? Even on XP it was still not 100% functional. I will have to test some oldies on my Win7 64-bit PC.

#3856583 - 10/31/13 03:00 PM Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. [Re: Andromedius]  
Lion Offline
Lion  Offline

Canada
Sadly no go. The menu looks fine when I hop in but I try to select one of the sub-menus and it just keeps showing the intro circular menu. frown

#3856771 - 10/31/13 10:58 PM Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. [Re: damson]  
Andromedius Offline
I Love Camembert
Andromedius  Offline
I Love Camembert

Originally Posted By: damson

Was it solved on Windows 7? Even on XP it was still not 100% functional. I will have to test some oldies on my Win7 64-bit PC.

Actually, there's a patch for the menu issues on USAF and it's working great.
It's called 'USAF Tackleberry's patch'. Thanks to it, I've been playing the game for quite a while now (Win 7 64 bits) and accessing the menus without any issues. Still a great game by the way !

Instructions are as follows :

1. Install stock version of the Jane's USAF

2. Apply Patch 1.02F

3. Apply Tackleberry's Patch

4. Run by USAF.bat (and not the original .exe for USAF.)

Here's the link to the patch (virus free, I checked):
http://ulozto.net/xe1A75NX/jutp-exe

Or the file via my dropbox public link : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14017931/JUTP.exe

Obviously, I take zero credit for this fix created by Tacklebbery as I'm merely passing on the info. I just think it would come in handy for those of you who still want to play USAF.

Enjoy !

Over and Out,

Andromedius.

#3856921 - 11/01/13 09:50 AM Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. [Re: Andromedius]  
damson Offline
damson  Offline

Hiding in the bushes
Thanks Andromedius for the link, why the file is so huge? Almost 20 MB, does it change anything else in USAF beside the fix for the menu issue?

#3856998 - 11/01/13 02:14 PM Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. [Re: damson]  
Andromedius Offline
I Love Camembert
Andromedius  Offline
I Love Camembert

Originally Posted By: damson
Thanks Andromedius for the link, why the file is so huge? Almost 20 MB, does it change anything else in USAF beside the fix for the menu issue?

You're more than welcome, Damson.

To my - humble - knowledge, there's no issue.
Basically, the Jutp.exe creates a USAF.bat, the one you'll use from now on to launch the sim. In order to fix the graphical incompatibilities of the menus the patch also modifies a lot of .bmp files, hence the size of the JUTP.exe. Other than that, I've seen no changes to the sim - except for the fact that the menu are now functionnal again !!!

I've made a shortcut for USAF.bat on my deskptop and replaced the ugly USAF.bat icon with the one from the USAF.exe and, tada! it works nicely.thumbsup

I wanted to run this sim for a long time and I had never found any easy fix for it, but a few mounths ago, as I was browsing the forum of Gulf Kinght's Air Base, I stumbled upon a thread including the download link for the patch.

Original thread is here : http://www.gulfknight.net/viewtopic.php?...start=120#p3462

As I mentioned before, there's no problem with the patch. So if you want to play the game, you should definitely give it a try. Let me know if you encounter any issue, I'll humbly do my best to help.

Once again, giving credit where credit is due, that is to Tackleberry, for creating this amazing patch.

Over and Out,

Andromedius

Last edited by Andromedius; 11/01/13 02:29 PM.

#3857172 - 11/01/13 08:22 PM Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. [Re: Andromedius]  
Staniol Offline
Staniol  Offline

Hungary
Thanks for the info!
I got quite excited to see USAF again, but no luck for me.
Although all the menus are working fine (which is a huge achievement), I have CTD every time a mission is getting loaded.
Nevermind, I am not even sure I want to ruin my great memories about USAF.

Freedom of speech is our birth right, but the privilege of being heard needs to be gained.
#3857192 - 11/01/13 09:05 PM Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. [Re: Staniol]  
Andromedius Offline
I Love Camembert
Andromedius  Offline
I Love Camembert

Originally Posted By: Staniol
Thanks for the info!
Although all the menus are working fine (which is a huge achievement), I have CTD every time a mission is getting loaded.

I'm sorry to hear that, Staniol... sigh
Just out of curiosity, did you patch your USAF to version 1.02F ? (this is important).
Did you try changing the resolution settings or the quality settings in the 'preferences' menu ?
And are you running under Seven 64 or 32 ? It's always difficult to tell if a fix is gonna work when there are so many different PC configurations outhere...

As for the great memories, trust me, the sim is still fun to fly.

Over and Out,

Andromedius.

Last edited by Andromedius; 11/01/13 09:16 PM.

#3857212 - 11/01/13 09:45 PM Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. [Re: Andromedius]  
Staniol Offline
Staniol  Offline

Hungary
Thanks for the info!

Just out of curiosity, did you patch your USAF to version 1.02F ? (this is important).
Did you try changing the resolution settings or the quality settings in the 'preferences' menu ?
And are you running under Seven 64 or 32 ? It's always difficult to tell if a fix is gonna work when there are so many different PC configurations outhere...

Over and Out,

Andromedius.

Hi.
Win7 64bit here.
I5, Nvidia 660GTX.

Done everything according to the readme (stock usaf, 102f, new patch).
Did not touch too many things in the optoins, tried with the defaults, changed resolution and some options, no cigar.
Thanks for the help anyway!

PS: one thing, is it required to start usaf between the patches?

Freedom of speech is our birth right, but the privilege of being heard needs to be gained.
#3857229 - 11/01/13 10:29 PM Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. [Re: Staniol]  
Andromedius Offline
I Love Camembert
Andromedius  Offline
I Love Camembert

Thanks for the info!

Over and Out,

Andromedius.

Hi.
Win7 64bit here.
I5, Nvidia 660GTX.

Done everything according to the readme (stock usaf, 102f, new patch).
Did not touch too many things in the optoins, tried with the defaults, changed resolution and some options, no cigar.
Thanks for the help anyway!

PS: one thing, is it required to start usaf between the patches?

Hi again,

Well, If I recall correctly, I ran the game (and launched a training mission) before applying the official patch and the patch/fix. You could give it a go. It's odd because my specs are almost the same as yours - except I have a 580 GTX.
Did you install the patch in the same folder as your USAF install ?
Got the sim working right after I installed the fix, all I had to do was mess around with the resolution to maintain the aspect ratio (though I could play in 1920X1080, I don't want the game to look 'stretched').

I don't want you to waste your time, but something tells me it should work for you as well. The fact you can launch the game and navigate through the menus is a good clue. The CTD occuring when loading a mission could also be related to a driver issue...

Then again, one can never tell with these old games...

Edit : I just checked on the boards where I got the link for the patch and some people have been reporting the same issues as yours due to drivers... Did you update yours recently ? Mine are the last official ones (not the beta ones, I'm no BF4 'addict'ar15 ) and everything is fine. If you didn't update (that would be surprising, judging by your specs and the fact you seem to know your stuff) may I kindly suggest you do?

Good luck !

Last edited by Andromedius; 11/01/13 10:44 PM.

#3857301 - 11/02/13 01:46 AM Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. [Re: Andromedius]  
baltika Offline
baltika  Offline

Scotland
First of all, a big thank you to Andromedius for pointing out the Tackleberry patch.

Last time I got Jane's USAF to fly right was on my old Win XP rig, and even then there were "issues"

But Tackleberry's patch has sorted it all out - again, thanks for the heads up wink

Staniol, I had the same problem as you at first (CTD on loading missions) and I can confirm that a driver update fixed it.

I am running Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit, 16Gb RAM, with a Geforce GTX 580 card. I was on the 320.49 drivers and got a CTD at every mission load.

I updated to the latest 331.65 and now everything is running great biggrin

Now reliving some of those USAF memories yep

Slainthe!

#3857404 - 11/02/13 12:05 PM Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. [Re: Andromedius]  
Andromedius Offline
I Love Camembert
Andromedius  Offline
I Love Camembert

Hi, everyone !

It's great to see people enjoying this good old sim again !
And thanks for the kind words, baltika. Do dheagh shlàinte, ou 'Santé', comme on dit en France... biggrin

At least, I've done something right this time (still bummed by this 'menu-fix fail' on Jane's F-15...)banghead
So, as you guys seem to appreciate it, I thought I'd keep on passing some good intel regarding our beloved USAF.

Not sure if you know about this site, http://www.bobsyouruncle.net/mcflyhome.htm , but though it's not updated anymore, it's full with mods and utilities for USAF. Most of the links are still active. It's probably one of the last places on the web where you'll find such an exhaustive amount of mods regarding USAF.
tomcat
Trust me, I've raided the place...

All of this being possible thanks to the dedication of McFLy and many others passionate people who kept the dream flying through the years. Here's the credits page on the site if you want to know more about them : http://www.bobsyouruncle.net/Credits.htm

The good stuff :

- Skins : http://www.bobsyouruncle.net/skins.htm

- Better cockpits : http://www.bobsyouruncle.net/cockpits.htm

- Better 3 Models : http://www.bobsyouruncle.net/3D%20Models.htm

- Missions : http://www.bobsyouruncle.net/missions.htm

- Various utilities (including the 'RWR fix') : http://www.bobsyouruncle.net/utilities.htm

- An addon campaign called 'Falklands War pack'(just scroll down to find it): http://www.bobsyouruncle.net/mcflyhome.htm

- The 'archives' pages also contains some interesting flight models among many other things : http://www.bobsyouruncle.net/archivespage1.htm

Once again, I hope this will be of interest for those of you who are climbing back into the cockpit in Jane's USAF.
As always, feel free to share your experience and enjoy the ride !!!

Over and Out,

Andromedius.

Last edited by Andromedius; 11/02/13 12:13 PM.

#3857964 - 11/03/13 08:59 PM Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. [Re: Andromedius]  
Staniol Offline
Staniol  Offline

Hungary
Big thanks, its working fine! Woohoo!

#3857971 - 11/03/13 09:44 PM Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. [Re: Andromedius]  
Andromedius Offline
I Love Camembert
Andromedius  Offline
I Love Camembert

Yeah! Success !

yeahyeahyeah

Enjoy !

Over and Out,

Andromedius.

#3859115 - 11/06/13 09:39 AM Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. [Re: Andromedius]  
baltika Offline
baltika  Offline

Scotland
Just a quick update on some further testing. . .

I installed USAF & updated to v1.02F on my Win7 desktop, then applied Slikk's old USAF [Pure] update for the FM fixes, 3d models, skins etc, then applied Tackleberry's patch on top of that.

To my joy the whole thing ran just fine (although you do have to strictly follow the install path procedure for USAF [Pure]).

Then, just for fun, I decided to take it to the next level - zipped the working USAF [Pure] install from my Win 7 rig, copied it to my Win 8 laptop, and unzipped there (again, maintaining the file structure to keep the [Pure] add-on happy).

Ran it using the Tackleberry USAF.bat file, held my breath. . .

band

Success! No menu glitches, drop-downs working, 3d running nice and smooth. Result!

Now have USAF up and running on my Win 8 laptop, working through those interactive training missions and looking forward to getting to grips with the campaigns.

I think we need to hire Tackleberry to take a look at some of the older flightsims for us - maybe he can sort the JF-15 menu probs, and I hear the BoB 2 guys are looking for someone to help get it running right in Win8. . .

Thanks again to Andromedius for highlighting this fix thumbsup

#3859545 - 11/07/13 02:22 PM Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. [Re: Andromedius]  
Andromedius Offline
I Love Camembert
Andromedius  Offline
I Love Camembert

Getting back to you on the menu fix for Jane's F-15... found some interesting idea here : http://www.zeus-software.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=630 (the last post).

If you want to try the 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 with more success, you need to download the utility called 'Aqrit's ddwrapper'. You'll find it here: http://bitpatch.com/ddwrapper.html (the download link is at the top of the page).
Uncompressed the archive and copy/paste the aqrit.cfg and ddraw.dll files into Jane's F-15 main directory.

Then open aqrit.cfg and edit the line : ForceDirectDrawEmulation = 0 to ForceDirectDrawEmulation = 1.
Save and you're done.

Next, add Jane's F-15 to your Steam game and launch the sim via Steam (this is mandatory). You'll should have the active menu and most of the functions available just like I mentionned in my first post. I'm pretty confident this will work for most of you.

Be aware this doesn't fix the crash when you try to launch a custom mission or play the campaign, though...
I havent made any progress on this front. I don't understand why I can play the training missions or import custom missions into the training missions folder without any issues while the game crashes each time I try to play via the campaign or the custom missions menus...

But at least you should be able to use the mission builder safely and access the options without using Ctr-Alt-Del.

That's a start...

Major Edit :

SOLVED !!! SOLVED !!! SOLVED !!!

well, what do you know...

The reason why the custom missions crashed was the little movie animations at the bottom of the screen.
So, boldly I decided to cut/paste all the files in the Movies folder from Jane's F-15...I backed them up obviously.
Then I launched the sim and IT WORKS !!!
No more animation at the bottom of the screen and I fired up the mission successfully !!!
Even got the Steam overlay properly working... Fancy that...
So Jane's F-15 is now working in glide mode with no menu issues under seven 64 bits and with Steam !!!

I figure we probably don't have to back up all the movie files but as I don't know which ones to select specifically, that will have to do for now. Maybe someone more skilled and knowledgeable can sort out the files.

Since I've began to post on this forum, people have been very kind and supportive so I'd really appreciate some of you to give me some feedback on this possible fix. Jane's F-15 on Steam ? Am I hallucinating or is this actually working ?

I really hope so. I am really, really happy right now... And I'll hope most of you will feel the same way...

As always, I take absolutely zero credit for this. All I did was collect some infos and try a few tricks. Seems it turned out better than I expected. I'm pretty sure a decent coder would nail this far more efficiently.

But for now if this gets validated by other simmers, if people can fly this great sim again, then I'll call that a win for most of us, 'Mud' lovers...

Over and Out,

Andromedius.

Last edited by Andromedius; 11/07/13 05:37 PM.

#3859589 - 11/07/13 04:42 PM Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. [Re: Andromedius]  
Lion Offline
Lion  Offline

Canada
Could you clarify which files in the movies folder you backed up and removed?

Also I tried using that wrapper you linked to and launched from Steam - it hung on the intro movies and promptly crashed. Never done that before.

EDIT: Okay, I removed *all* the files in the Movies folder (backed them up) and the game is working 100% now on Windows 7 64-bit!! :O Didn't have to launch from Steam though.

Last edited by Lion; 11/07/13 04:48 PM.
#3859592 - 11/07/13 04:56 PM Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. [Re: Andromedius]  
Andromedius Offline
I Love Camembert
Andromedius  Offline
I Love Camembert

Hi,

I basically backed up everything and left nothing in the 'Movies' folder.

The reason why you crashed is probably due to the fact that the game was trying to access some movies, you don't want that... Get rid of the Movies.
At first, it's important to deactivate every video in the 'Miscellaneaous section'.
As for the ddrawwrapper you gotta only use acriq.cfg (edit the file like I mentionned before)and ddraw.dll.

But don't leave anything in the 'Movies' folder for now.

I hope this helps.

I have it fully working now. I'll probably make a video in the coming days...

Edit : YES !!! I'm glad it's working for you!

As for me, it only works via Steam...
If I launch the sim without steam I end up with the same menus issues and have to resort to Alt+Ctrl+Del again...
Go figure... Well, at least that means we have 'options' biggrin ...

So, the good news is that we appear to have a fix that could work for many people... I like that.

Enjoy.

Last edited by Andromedius; 11/07/13 05:03 PM.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.