Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3855730 - 10/29/13 09:07 PM FSX to Prepar3d v2.0  
KaspeR Offline
KaspeR  Offline

Hi everyone,

Just a week ago, I decided to fire up FSX again after a long break from it. I installed my usual FTX scenery, REX, did the bojote cfg tweaks, and some basic aircraft add-ons. After 3 days of tweaking, playing with options, installing scenery, I STILL cannot get it to run how I want. I feel like I'm spending more time tweaking the sim than actually flying in it.

Here's my question. I've read a lot about Prepar3d and I think it sounds like an amazing idea and don't even get me started on the improvements scheduled to be in version 2.0, but is it for me? I keep reading their license agreement and it says not for consumer or personal use, but then it's readily available to purchase and download right from their website.

I would LOVE an updated version of FSX to take advantage of my newer hardware, and I see so many people on forums speaking about Prepar3d. Do I have to start my own company or what?!

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3855737 - 10/29/13 09:31 PM Re: FSX to Prepar3d v2.0 [Re: KaspeR]  
malibu43 Offline
malibu43  Offline

SoCal
You aren't the only one confused by the licensing. This topic has been beaten to death at Avsim, so much that it's now officially off limits for discussion. Some people there act like they're trying to find reasons not be able to use it, which always puzzled me. My guess is that the licensing is part of the agreement with Microsoft and Lockheed technically has to tell you it's not for entertainment purposes. Otherwise Lockheed probably couldn't care less what you use it for. They aren't going to come knocking at your door to make sure you aren't using P3D for entertainment purposes.

That being said, here is a breakdown of their licenses. http://www.prepar3d.com/product-overview/prepar3d-license-comparison/

As long as you are using P3D for "training", "learning", or "simulation", you fall under the professional license option. I don't know about you, but I think it would be darn near impossible not to do one of those three things when using the software. No where does it say that you aren't allowed to have fun or be entertained while also accomplishing those other things.

For me personally, I plan on using P3D to educate a K-12 student(s) about flying, so I plan on getting an academic license.

edit - I obviously do not work for LM, most of this post was just my opinion or interpretation.

Last edited by malibu43; 10/29/13 09:58 PM.

Sager NP8671 17.3" Notebook, i74720HQ (3.6GHz), GTX 970M (3.0GB), 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB 7200RPM HD, TrackIR 4, CH HOTAS and rudder pedals
#3855743 - 10/29/13 09:38 PM Re: FSX to Prepar3d v2.0 [Re: malibu43]  
KaspeR Offline
KaspeR  Offline

Originally Posted By: malibu43
This topic has been beaten to death at Avsim, so much that it's now officially off limits for discussion. Some people there act like they're trying to find reasons not be able to use it, which always puzzled me.

Sorry to bring up such a worn out topic, I haven't really visited Avsim forums. You answered my question perfectly though so thank you for that.

It's funny, I used Microsoft Flight briefly, but I LOVED the fsx engine with some more modern updates. I'm going to save up for the professional license, and grab version 2.0 when it comes out.

Thanks again.

-Kris

#3855749 - 10/29/13 09:55 PM Re: FSX to Prepar3d v2.0 [Re: KaspeR]  
malibu43 Offline
malibu43  Offline

SoCal
Originally Posted By: KaspeR
Originally Posted By: malibu43
This topic has been beaten to death at Avsim, so much that it's now officially off limits for discussion. Some people there act like they're trying to find reasons not be able to use it, which always puzzled me.

Sorry to bring up such a worn out topic, I haven't really visited Avsim forums. You answered my question perfectly though so thank you for that.

No worries. My intention was not to discourage it being discussed here. I was just letting you know that you aren't the only one confused by it. (I edited my post to make that a little more clear)

Last edited by malibu43; 10/29/13 09:57 PM.

Sager NP8671 17.3" Notebook, i74720HQ (3.6GHz), GTX 970M (3.0GB), 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB 7200RPM HD, TrackIR 4, CH HOTAS and rudder pedals
#3855783 - 10/29/13 11:00 PM Re: FSX to Prepar3d v2.0 [Re: KaspeR]  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz
to be fair, other touchy topics at Avsim these days include favorite colors, days of the week, and weather
rolleyes

Anyway, in addition to Malibus points (all of which I agree with) some things to other consider about P3D/P3d 2.0:

While its a touchy subject among some groups of users, it's also been very dividing among developers. Some devs support it 100%, even letting you choose the option to choose to FSX or P3D when installing the add on. Some devs are (IMHO) taking a advantage of the situation and making you buy a separate package for either title. Some devs offer their title for FSX "only", and look the other way/don't care/won't officially support P3D use, but it's usually pretty easy to port their products over. Finally, there are some devs that have products that just won't work with P3D (for any number of reasons) including a few that actually go so far as to actively block the usage of their product in P3D.

And that's the current state. As of this writing, P3D is basically "FSX Accelleration Plus." The improvements to the engine amount to being a (badly needed) service pack. It fixes some minor issues like the "blurries" but other than that, it's going to be 97% the same experience, except some of your mods might not work.

And that last point, for me, has been the deal breaker. P3D doesn't fix enough (again, as of this writing) to off set loosing mods like my A2A collection, PMDG products, or VRS Tacpack. (if any of these work, someone please correct me).

I'm waiting to see how P3D 2.0 turns out before I jump into the waters. THe double edged sword will be that the more they change/fix, the more they'll aftermarket products will become incompatible. For Me, FSX with mods> P3D 2.0 without.

My Rig:i5-3570k @ 4.2 GHZ W/ Corsair Hydro H110 Cooler / Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo / GTX 1070/ 16 Gigs DDR3 RAM / A Few SSDs, and a Bunch of HDDs / All held together by: Corsair C70 Case

Other Assets Deployed:
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog SN#22621/CH Throttle Quad/MFG Crosswind Pedals SN#0004 smile
TrackIR TIR 5 w/ TrackClip Pro biggrin
Simpit: Obutto R3VOLUTION

#3855829 - 10/30/13 12:02 AM Re: FSX to Prepar3d v2.0 [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
malibu43 Offline
malibu43  Offline

SoCal
Originally Posted By: AggressorBLUE
to be fair, other touchy topics at Avsim these days include favorite colors, days of the week, and weather
rolleyes

LOL. Very true!

Anyway, in addition to Malibus points (all of which I agree with) some things to other consider about P3D/P3d 2.0:

While its a touchy subject among some groups of users, it's also been very dividing among developers. Some devs support it 100%, even letting you choose the option to choose to FSX or P3D when installing the add on. Some devs are (IMHO) taking a advantage of the situation and making you buy a separate package for either title. Some devs offer their title for FSX "only", and look the other way/don't care/won't officially support P3D use, but it's usually pretty easy to port their products over. Finally, there are some devs that have products that just won't work with P3D (for any number of reasons) including a few that actually go so far as to actively block the usage of their product in P3D.

And that's the current state. As of this writing, P3D is basically "FSX Accelleration Plus." The improvements to the engine amount to being a (badly needed) service pack. It fixes some minor issues like the "blurries" but other than that, it's going to be 97% the same experience, except some of your mods might not work.

And that last point, for me, has been the deal breaker. P3D doesn't fix enough (again, as of this writing) to off set loosing mods like my A2A collection, PMDG products, or VRS Tacpack. (if any of these work, someone please correct me).

I'm waiting to see how P3D 2.0 turns out before I jump into the waters. THe double edged sword will be that the more they change/fix, the more they'll aftermarket products will become incompatible. For Me, FSX with mods> P3D 2.0 without.

I'll clarify that I'm not buying P3D on day one or anything like that. I'm waiting for release and and reports of compatibility issues (or hopefully lack there of), and what kind of visual and performance gains people are really seeing. Assuming all my addons will work with P3D, I'll probably make the switch if I can get a little more eye candy and a decent performance boost.

I don't have nearly as much payware as other folks do when it comes to addons, and I think what I do have is supposed to work. REX, ORBX/FTX, A2A C172, AF F-4U. Not sure about the GAS PT-17.

FWIW - the A2A C172 is supposed to be P3D compatible, and I believe the Aircraft Factory F4U is too. So it's possible some of the other A2A stuff is.

#3855889 - 10/30/13 03:10 AM Re: FSX to Prepar3d v2.0 [Re: KaspeR]  
KaspeR Offline
KaspeR  Offline

Thanks for your replies guys.

I also don't have too much payware for fsx at the moment. Just the big ones. I do have A2A's P-51D but, overall, I haven't wanted to put too much into fsx because I can't stand the engine. I've always had trouble getting it to look right, and is the main reason why I've recently been looking into Prepar3d.

I may wait also, and just see how it goes in a few months... I just hope ED's Nevada map comes out before then to keep me occupied!

#3855925 - 10/30/13 05:40 AM Re: FSX to Prepar3d v2.0 [Re: KaspeR]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
Yeah for me the main thing with the license is mainly whether the license is solid enough to attract the 3rd party developers...

I'm interested in P3D v2.0 but only if I don't have to spend tons of time doing my own ports of FSX products to get it to work, I want official support, needing to do all my own porting and tweaking is why I don't fly X-Plane10 much...

i7-7700k@4.5ghz, GTX1080Ti,BenQ XL2420G-g-sync,Oculus Rift
#3855996 - 10/30/13 11:56 AM Re: FSX to Prepar3d v2.0 [Re: KaspeR]  
TerribleTwo Offline
Hotshot
TerribleTwo  Offline
Hotshot

And if the licensing isn't confusing enough, the name Prepa3rd makes no sense. Prepared for what? And why is the a freaking 3 in the name?

"College graduates should not have to live out their 20s in their childhood bedrooms, staring up at fading Obama posters and wondering when they can move out and get going with life" - Paul Ryan
#3856102 - 10/30/13 04:03 PM Re: FSX to Prepar3d v2.0 [Re: TerribleTwo]  
malibu43 Offline
malibu43  Offline

SoCal
Originally Posted By: TerribleTwo
And if the licensing isn't confusing enough, the name Prepa3rd makes no sense. Prepared for what? And why is the a freaking 3 in the name?

Prepare for flying airplanes? Using modern 3d graphics?

#3857117 - 11/01/13 06:28 PM Re: FSX to Prepar3d v2.0 [Re: TerribleTwo]  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz
Originally Posted By: TerribleTwo

LM is positioning the product as a way to train pilots, thus preparing them for their jobs. The branding makes sense to me. ::shrugs::

But yes, the licensing is pointlessly confusing. I'm guessing there are two factors driving why things are this way:

1. Microsoft wanted to get some cash out of FSX's dieing husk, but not have to do any work for it. BUT they also didn't want to completely close the door on FSX coming back in sequel form one day, in case that market opened back up. Namely, they wanted to make sure Flight didn't have competition from P3D 2.0.

2. LM doesn't want the support headaches that come from dealing with individual consumers. To them, that market is too small to warrant the support overhead. So for them, loosing the ability to directly market to consumers wasn't a deal breaker.

My Rig:i5-3570k @ 4.2 GHZ W/ Corsair Hydro H110 Cooler / Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo / GTX 1070/ 16 Gigs DDR3 RAM / A Few SSDs, and a Bunch of HDDs / All held together by: Corsair C70 Case

Other Assets Deployed:
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog SN#22621/CH Throttle Quad/MFG Crosswind Pedals SN#0004 smile
TrackIR TIR 5 w/ TrackClip Pro biggrin
Simpit: Obutto R3VOLUTION

#3857163 - 11/01/13 07:59 PM Re: FSX to Prepar3d v2.0 [Re: KaspeR]  
KaspeR Offline
KaspeR  Offline

Well, I'm excited that FSX is living on in one form or another. Maybe they'll even include Occulus Rift support?! ha

#3858358 - 11/04/13 08:56 PM Re: FSX to Prepar3d v2.0 [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
_michal Offline
poly pusher
_michal  Offline
poly pusher

Poland
P3D doesn't fix enough (again, as of this writing) to off set loosing mods like my A2A collection, PMDG products, or VRS Tacpack. (if any of these work, someone please correct me).

A2A planes work in P3Dv1.4 out of the box, but don't have P3D native installer, with the exception of C172 Trainer which has dual installer (FSX/P3Dv1.4) and is supported on both platforms.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.