Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#3851531 - 10/18/13 06:17 PM Re: Women Drivers! [Re: ColJamesD]  
ColJamesD Offline
ColJamesD  Offline

USA
I know about the fob.

My car has push button start too.

What I meant someone can't just pry that button out and have direct access to the electronics behind it and start the car without needing the fob?

I keep my fob in my key chain and my key chain attached to the belt keeper.

I have never misplaced a set of keys or lost a set of keys.

What's in the box? C'mon, what's in the boooox?
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3851532 - 10/18/13 06:23 PM Re: Women Drivers! [Re: ColJamesD]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
There's nothing "direct" about electronics in today's cars. LOL
It's not about making a circuit at the button, that's just an "event" for the car's computer to know to start the car IF the fob is present. It can be hacked, but that's not something 99.9% of car thieves can do. If the car still has a keyed start, that's still the weak link, unless, similarly, it uses a transponder or something along the lines of that fob.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#3851537 - 10/18/13 06:35 PM Re: Women Drivers! [Re: ColJamesD]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted By: ColJamesD
I know about the fob.
What I meant someone can't just pry that button out and have direct access to the electronics behind it and start the car without needing the fob?

The button is just a button, they would have to pry out the keyless receiver/control module that the button wiring harness connects to, to bypass it and start the ignition the way they do when they bypass the keyed ignition... but then again that module might need to send a signal to the ECU for the car to start similar to how some keyed ignitions talk to a RFID chip on the key... so hotwiring a modern car with ignition security is not all that easy anyhow.

From the aspect of bypassing it, I think it's probably more complicated to bypass keyless for the average car thief unless they target that specific car often and know where the components for that car are located, I think these days even having a stick shift often scares away the average car thieves, most of them spend time stealing easy popular parts chopshop cars like Camry/Prius/Civic etc.

I'm sure there's always the chance that some talented car thief focuses mainly on specific cars and has experience on how to steal it, nothing is thief proof, but usually even basic security features are enough to encourage thieves to steal the easier car parked next to you, unfortunately nothing stops people from smashing your windows and stealing whatever is visible or that they hope is hiding in the glovebox, I've never had a car actually hotwired and stolen but have had plenty of breakins and stereos stolen.

i7-7700k@4.5ghz, GTX1080Ti,BenQ XL2420G-g-sync,Oculus Rift
#3851664 - 10/19/13 01:47 AM Re: Women Drivers! [Re: Li'lJugs]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
Originally Posted By: Li'lJugs
In the end, we both have to SHARE the road, hey?

Sure, and I agree that it cuts both ways. Ultimately, driving on the roads here in SoCal is a crazy adventure every day.

#3852301 - 10/21/13 08:49 AM Re: Women Drivers! [Re: kludger]  
Comrade_Hedgehog Offline
Comrade_Hedgehog  Offline

The Sticks, England.
Originally Posted By: kludger
Originally Posted By: ColJamesD
I know about the fob.

The button is just a button, they would have to pry out the keyless receiver/control module that the button wiring harness connects to, to bypass it and start the ignition the way they do when they bypass the keyed ignition... but then again that module might need to send a signal to the ECU for the car to start similar to how some keyed ignitions talk to a RFID chip on the key... so hotwiring a modern car with ignition security is not all that easy anyhow.

From the aspect of bypassing it, I think it's probably more complicated to bypass keyless for the average car thief unless they target that specific car often and know where the components for that car are located, I think these days even having a stick shift often scares away the average car thieves, most of them spend time stealing easy popular parts chopshop cars like Camry/Prius/Civic etc.

I'm sure there's always the chance that some talented car thief focuses mainly on specific cars and has experience on how to steal it, nothing is thief proof, but usually even basic security features are enough to encourage thieves to steal the easier car parked next to you, unfortunately nothing stops people from smashing your windows and stealing whatever is visible or that they hope is hiding in the glovebox, I've never had a car actually hotwired and stolen but have had plenty of breakins and stereos stolen.

You could always use Q's approach.
(Might mean a fair amount of paper work involved though, exploding cars tend to do that. smile )

Its not the bullet with your name on it you have to worry about.
But the one addressed:
"To Whom It May Concern"
#3852311 - 10/21/13 09:39 AM Re: Women Drivers! [Re: ColJamesD]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Actually, one could change "Women" to "Atlanta" in the subject heading and describe what I saw in nine years of living there, gender non-specific.

Worst. Drivers. Ever.

My pet peeve is when there is a sign saying a lane is closing and to merge. In Atlanta that means racing as far forward as one can until the merge is forced and do one's best to make the bottle neck as slow and dangerous as possible....which was SOP for Atlanta drivers.

The other was actively blocking people trying to merge into traffic, particularly on the Interstate. The number of times I saw someone actually pacing me - speeding up and slowing down to block me - was rediculous.

I was so happy to move back to the Birmingham area.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#3852313 - 10/21/13 09:49 AM Re: Women Drivers! [Re: Dart]  
Comrade_Hedgehog Offline
Comrade_Hedgehog  Offline

The Sticks, England.
Originally Posted By: Dart
Actually, one could change "Women" to "Atlanta" in the subject heading and describe what I saw in nine years of living there, gender non-specific.

Worst. Drivers. Ever.

My pet peeve is when there is a sign saying a lane is closing and to merge. In Atlanta that means racing as far forward as one can until the merge is forced and do one's best to make the bottle neck as slow and dangerous as possible....which was SOP for Atlanta drivers.

The other was actively blocking people trying to merge into traffic, particularly on the Interstate. The number of times I saw someone actually pacing me - speeding up and slowing down to block me - was rediculous.

That happens over here. (UK)

Its not the bullet with your name on it you have to worry about.
But the one addressed:
"To Whom It May Concern"
#3852459 - 10/21/13 05:50 PM Re: Women Drivers! [Re: Dart]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Originally Posted By: Dart

Worst. Drivers. Ever.

Sounds a lot like the drivers in Southern California too. yep

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#3852491 - 10/21/13 06:56 PM Re: Women Drivers! [Re: ColJamesD]  
NH2112 Offline
Veteran
NH2112  Offline
Veteran

Jackman, ME
Boston & eastern MA drivers in general have all of them beat. The only place I've ever seen drivers that bad was Korea.

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
#3852592 - 10/21/13 09:41 PM Re: Women Drivers! [Re: ColJamesD]  
jazjar Offline
jazjar  Offline

Boston is the American Autobahn... People there think they're hot stuff so the average speed on the highways is 85mph. Oh and also, they don't drive that well.

#3853866 - 10/24/13 06:50 PM Re: Women Drivers! [Re: Greiss]  
Top Gun Offline
Lifer
Top Gun  Offline
Lifer

Roch-Vegas NH
Originally Posted By: Greiss
Another inherent problem that Toyota drivers can't seem to grasp is turning on your headlights when it's dark or raining. Honda drivers have this issue too and these are the two biggest offenders on the road.

Toyota and Honda both need to dump the electro-luminescent garbage that plagues the instrument panel. Clueless drivers of both brands aren't attentive enough to even figure the whole concept of headlights on anyways.

Do a little test, next time you're out on the road and it's raining or at dusk, take note which cars don't have their tail lights on, only the DRL's.

Dude, what's your issue with Toyota, my Camry is from 06 and the lights stay on all the time. You have to roll the switch back to shut them completely off.

Must be a WA thing as I don't see the issue you're complaining about in New England...

XboxLive Tag: DOBrienTG1969

Dave O'Brien,
Top Gun Photography
Nikon D500 & D7200
Nikkor 70-200VR AF-s F/2.8
Sigma 50-500 & 17-50 F2.8
Sigma 150-600
#3853872 - 10/24/13 07:05 PM Re: Women Drivers! [Re: ColJamesD]  
Charlie_SB Offline
Charlie_SB  Offline

I'd like cars that would give bad drivers electric shocks and then take them straight home while cursing at them the whole way. Then the car should refuse to start the rest of the week.

I'd also like a device that would make cars that try to pull out in front my motorcycle reverse (and then the driver would be sentenced to life on a bicycle for attempted motorcyclecide).

More automation can only be better. There must be thousands and thousands of incidents every day that could be avoided by:
1. Cars that can check their own blind spots
2. Cars that brake automagically when needed
3. Cars that force you to keep good distance to the car in front of you.
4. Cars that wont start if you are under the influence
5. Cars that force you to keep something of a speed limit when in traffic.

-C-

#3854347 - 10/26/13 06:27 AM Re: Women Drivers! [Re: ColJamesD]  
FastCargo Offline
FastCargo  Offline

http://www.statisticbrain.com/male-and-female-driving-statistics/

Yep, women drivers are the worst because a bunch of men say so.

FC

#3854352 - 10/26/13 06:48 AM Re: Women Drivers! [Re: ColJamesD]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Must be true then.
See, the problem with those stats is that those are based on violations. Guys don't get out of tickets. Women do, so you can count on their number being about 10x higher than reported if they got tickets the way we do.
On the crashes, the problem is that they're often oblivious that they've even BEEN in a wreck, or they just cause a series of wrecks in their wake behind them and are none the wiser.
driving

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#3854365 - 10/26/13 08:35 AM Re: Women Drivers! [Re: ColJamesD]  
NH2112 Offline
Veteran
NH2112  Offline
Veteran

Jackman, ME
I've noticed that male drivers tend to cause accidents because of their aggressiveness, and female drivers by being indecisive and oblivious.

ETA I wanted to clarify that I'm not saying all women drivers are indecisive and oblivious, only that women drivers who I've seen get in accidents tended to be indecisive as to what they wanted to do and oblivious to conditions around them. Now if any of our female members read this, I'll come across as slightly less of a chauvinistic douchebag A-hole. smile

Last edited by NH2112; 10/26/13 05:45 PM.

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
#3854367 - 10/26/13 08:44 AM Re: Women Drivers! [Re: NH2112]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Originally Posted By: NH2112
I've noticed that male drivers tend to cause accidents because of their aggressiveness, and female drivers by being indecisive and oblivious.

Not a good mix. wink

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.