Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3789199 - 05/29/13 04:57 PM Chinese HQ-1/2  
Mdore Offline
Mdore  Offline

Chinese HQ-2.

I've read a poorly translated source that said the HQ-2B had a "single-pulse system", which might mean a monopulse system, so that's possibly what the thing on top is. But that's just a guess. http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/china/hq-2.htm

Anyone have any more accurate info?

Last edited by Mdore; 05/29/13 05:01 PM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3789618 - 05/30/13 02:14 PM Re: Chinese HQ-1/2 [Re: Mdore]  
Lonewolf357 Offline
Lonewolf357  Offline

That's what I found about it, it's from Jane's land-based air defence, year 2003:

Description (HQ-2B model)
The HQ-2B battalion is a mobile version of the HQ-2J unit and comprises the following components:
six trainable single rail launchers carried on the rear decking of lengthened NORINCO Type 63light tank chassis,
all the missile/launcher firing controls, power supply systems and necessary electronics are located in the hull area
with access provided by latched side panels
24 missiles (six on the launcher vehicles with the remainder at the battalion reload storage site or on transloader
vehicles)
variable number of transloader vehicles and a ZD-2(B) missile guidance station.
The HQ-2B missile is similar to the HQ-2J described previously but is fitted with a moderate dispersion angle HE
fragmentation warhead, an anti-jam digital code radio-command guidance system, an integrated circuit autopilot and
an FM phase comparison proximity fuzing circuit. The weapon has head-on, crossing target and tail-chase engagement
capabilities.
The Single-Shot Kill Probability (SSKP) of a single round against a target with a velocity of <=565 m/s is 0.92 and
against a target with a velocity of <=750 m/s is 0.73. Targets up to a maximum velocity of 1,000 m/s can be engaged.
If required, the HQ-2B can be fired from the semi-fixed single rail launcher assembly used for the other HQ-2family
members.
The ZD-2 (B), missile guidance station comprises the following subsystems:

2FA(B) radar receiver-transmitter trailer (believed to have the NATO codename `Gin Sling-B') which is fitted inside
its cabin with:
a. the main E/F-band radar transmitter unit
b. the main E/F-band radar receiver unit
c. an auxiliary I/J-band range measuring radar transmitter
d. a monopulse radar receiver unit
e. an antenna feeder system
f. an antenna servo system.
On the trailer's cabin roof are:
a. the main radar's elevation scan antenna
b. the main radar's azimuth scan antenna
c. the target illuminator radar antenna
d. the D-band missile command guidance transmitter antenna
e. the secondary telescope and video TV camera tracker head assembly
f. the auxiliary range measuring radar antenna receiver box.
The missiles own tracking transponder system operates in the D-band.

2X(B) truck-mounted display shelter which acts as the combat command centre for the battalion. This contains the
IFF display, the video TV tracker and large PPI screen displays, the radar and launcher control systems, the
battalion system status displays, main battalion and higher echelon communications and a training engagement
simulator system.

2M(B) truck-mounted command communications shelter is equipped with the battalion and higher echelon signals
equipment including the cryptography units for encoding and decoding of signal traffic.
The guidance station can operate in normal main radar target acquisition scan, selected target track and
illumination, monopulse (as an ECCM technique) and TV tracking modes. The co-ordinate difference between the target
and the missile is obtained by using the relative co-ordinate system in the 2Z(B)-shelter truck. The ranges and angle
co-ordinates of the target and the missile are also obtainable with the secondary digital tracking system.
Maximum detection range of the main radar system is in excess of 100 km, with a stable automatic tracking range
of over 75 km. The maximum auxiliary range measuring capability is in excess of 60 km and the secondary TV tracking
range for use in heavy ECM environments is around 45 km.

the 2Z(B) truck-mounted co-ordinate shelter which carries the TV video and IFF electronics, the co-ordinate
tracking system for the targets and missiles, and a microcomputer for firing solution computations and generation
of missile command and control instructions

the 2P(B) truck-mounted power distribution centre which carries the distribution board system for the output of the
generator trucks. It supplies by cable the power outputs to all the guidance unit subsystems

three 2D(B) truck-mounted generator systems (one of which acts as a spare). Each system has one shelter-mounted 50 Hz diesel generator and converter unit to provide three-phase 50 Hz and three-phase 400 Hz AC
electrical supplies to the power distribution centre truck.

#3789633 - 05/30/13 02:50 PM Re: Chinese HQ-1/2 [Re: Mdore]  
Mdore Offline
Mdore  Offline

Thanks for the info.

Everything I've read so far says that the Chinese version of the HQ-2 looks like this.

And the export HQ-2 looks like this.

I'm still baffled why the HQ-2 in my first post is so different. Anyway thanks again for the info.

#3852003 - 10/20/13 04:51 AM Re: Chinese HQ-1/2 [Re: Mdore]  
Billsnavycareer Offline
Billsnavycareer  Offline

#3852005 - 10/20/13 04:55 AM Re: Chinese HQ-1/2 [Re: Mdore]  
Mdore Offline
Mdore  Offline

Wow! Thanks for the photo. I wonder if they got the idea for doing that, from the SA-3. It's possible it might be using LORO.

#3852020 - 10/20/13 06:11 AM Re: Chinese HQ-1/2 [Re: Mdore]  
Billsnavycareer Offline
Billsnavycareer  Offline

COH-9A was originally a tracking radar for AAA, and latterly a modification version was integrated as an additional I-band range tracking function on SJ-202. The dish on the top of the horizontal E/F-band Lewis scanner is its antenna.

#3852102 - 10/20/13 02:44 PM Re: Chinese HQ-1/2 [Re: Billsnavycareer]  
piston79 Offline
piston79  Offline

Originally Posted By: Billsnavycareer
Click to reveal..

COH-9A was originally a tracking radar for AAA, and latterly a modification version was integrated as an additional I-band range tracking function on SJ-202. The dish on the top of the horizontal E/F-band Lewis scanner is its antenna.

Chinese "Amazonka"?

#3852168 - 10/20/13 08:30 PM Re: Chinese HQ-1/2 [Re: piston79]  
Billsnavycareer Offline
Billsnavycareer  Offline

Not exactly. ROC pilots were very clear only the E/F band signal from SJ-202 brought a direct threat and they usually pay zero attention to the illumination from AAA tracking radars and EW radars due to the band selection of System-12 RWR onboard. Ambushing was a fashion during the 1960s' among the HQ-2 batteries, but the new System-12 was a major compromise to this, and the I band RO function was a solution to gather fire solution before the E/F band scanners transmitted on.

Moreover, the I band tracking radar is an extra help in an ECM scenario. As I also remember, when No. 23 research institute was selected to developed HQ-3, COH-9A was applied to track the tested missile.

#3852174 - 10/20/13 08:52 PM Re: Chinese HQ-1/2 [Re: Mdore]  
piston79 Offline
piston79  Offline

"Amazonka" is a range finding device too:

http://www.ausairpower.net/APA-SNR-75-Fan-Song.html

It also operates in a different band, so I find it similar...

What is ROC? (Republic of China?)

#3852195 - 10/20/13 10:45 PM Re: Chinese HQ-1/2 [Re: piston79]  
Billsnavycareer Offline
Billsnavycareer  Offline

No doubt, rangefinders are operated at higher frequency and all seems to be the same, but the purpose of application is not purely for RO with some sort of ECCM philosophy applied.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Food Safety and Bad Roommates
by KRT_Bong. 04/04/24 02:16 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.