Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3850123 - 10/15/13 04:21 AM Was Oculus Rift just turned obsolete??!!  
JG301_HaJa Offline
JG301_HaJa  Offline

Rödeby/Sweden
castAR on kickstarter, this could be super cheers

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tech...system/comments

"Live to fight another day"

MA790FXT-UD5P, Chieftec 850W CFT-850G-DF Super Series
AMD Ph II X4 955 BE, 8GB DDR3 1333 (4x2 paired)
2x XFX HD6870 1 GB, RAID0 array 300 GB primary
and 500 GB Sata secondary, DVD Burner Sata, SyncMaster P2350
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3850135 - 10/15/13 05:54 AM Re: Was Oculus Rift just turned obsolete??!! [Re: JG301_HaJa]  
USMC BEANS Offline
USMC BEANS  Offline

Seattle, Washington
Cool

#3850186 - 10/15/13 11:11 AM Re: Was Oculus Rift just turned obsolete??!! [Re: JG301_HaJa]  
Smokin_Hole Offline
Smokin_Hole  Offline

I can't believe Valve fired her. She's brilliant!

#3850190 - 10/15/13 11:24 AM Re: Was Oculus Rift just turned obsolete??!! [Re: JG301_HaJa]  
HogDriver Offline
Retired Flight Simmer
HogDriver  Offline
Retired Flight Simmer

But just like Oculus Rift, it's probably going to suck if you already have to wear prescription eyeglasses...

Looks cool and I'm definitely interested, but the eyeglasses thing...

I refuse to buy a flight sim that I have no interest in playing, on the off chance that MAYBE someday they'll make the one I really want to play.

#3850196 - 10/15/13 11:39 AM Re: Was Oculus Rift just turned obsolete??!! [Re: JG301_HaJa]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
Interesting concept.

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#3850217 - 10/15/13 01:11 PM Re: Was Oculus Rift just turned obsolete??!! [Re: JG301_HaJa]  
Fridge Offline
Fridge  Offline

Fredericton, NB, Canada
No. This is, as far as I can tell, an augmented reality piece where the Oculus Rift is a 3d display piece. One augments what we see while the other replaces what we see. I might be reading this wrong.

Fridge
----------
Things which do you no good in aviation:
1) Altitude above you;
2) Runway behind you;
3) Fuel in the truck;
4) The airspeed you don't have.
#3850223 - 10/15/13 01:25 PM Re: Was Oculus Rift just turned obsolete??!! [Re: JG301_HaJa]  
Brun Offline
Brun  Offline

London Town
I think you've got it right.

#3850312 - 10/15/13 04:39 PM Re: Was Oculus Rift just turned obsolete??!! [Re: Fridge]  
Remon Offline
Remon  Offline

Greece
Originally Posted By: Fridge
No. This is, as far as I can tell, an augmented reality piece where the Oculus Rift is a 3d display piece. One augments what we see while the other replaces what we see. I might be reading this wrong.

It's not exactly like that. Don't see it as an AR system, just a portable projection system with head tracking.

What this can do for flight sims is you can build a hemisphere using some retroreflective material, and have it suspended above your head. That can solve VRs (like the rift) problem of no way of seeing where your controls are.

Two things I will probably have problem with is the active 3d system they're using, and pico projectors aren't that good for gaming. The shutters they're using aren't meant for prolonged use, I and many other people get headaches after a while. The projectors isn't as big of a problem as technology wull get better (can't wait to see pico laser projectors with this).

#3850357 - 10/15/13 06:12 PM Re: Was Oculus Rift just turned obsolete??!! [Re: Smokin_Hole]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
Originally Posted By: Smokin_Hole

Always remember, there's plenty of brilliant people that need to be fired wink

You never know.

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#3850467 - 10/15/13 10:59 PM Re: Was Oculus Rift just turned obsolete??!! [Re: JG301_HaJa]  
CyBerkut Online content
Administrator
CyBerkut  Online Content
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Gene has been posting about it on here, since before the Kickstarter.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3842596/Disruptive_technology_is_putti#Post3842596

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3849854/The_castAR_Kickstarter_is_live

I suspect the micro projector performance will surprise you, due to how they work when combined with the retro-reflective material.

For anyone that is at all interested, I'd recommend getting on to Technical Illusion's forums. Jeri is very accessible on there.

And yes... I think this will be a better approach for most people interested in flight sims using hardware controls, such as HOTAS. Time will tell.

#3850519 - 10/16/13 01:58 AM Re: Was Oculus Rift just turned obsolete??!! [Re: JG301_HaJa]  
Frederf Offline
Frederf  Offline

It's a refreshing take on what is obviously a needed step in display and control.

I see this device and those like it as integrating one or all of three discrete components: display, head tracking, and implement tracking. I have no strong opinion on the display aspect as the light wavefront at the eye is what's important not how it came to be there. Far, near, reflected, refracted, whatever produces the best wavefront with the minimum of ancillary costs (weight, cost, power requirement, discomfort, etc.).

When it comes to the head tracking aspect I haven't seen anyone quite hybridize accelerometers and optical methods properly. Accelerometers work without interference but have drift. Optical methods are temperamental but are absolute in space. The best system would hybrid the accelerometer and optical inputs to bridge optical gaps and prevent acceleration drifts. Discriminating between various tracking points via pulse coding or otherwise seems obvious and prevents performance problems. With unique tracking points one removes the limits of head motion quite easily.

Implement tracking isn't something I've given much thought but requires a camera most likely and possibly the hybrid optic/accel combo. A glove or other means of making the hand participate in the optical scene seem obvious. Cameras start to get expensive per number so multi purposing them saves on cost. A small array not on the person (static) could be calibrated by moving a point source in different locations and having each camera record that position.

Placing the implement tracker on the person means chaining the knowledge of the implement to the knowledge of the person. Lag and position problems are doubled as the uncertainty in each step is additive or even multiplicative.

The clever thing about retroreflective material is if it is suitably directional multiple users could share a surface provided they are far apart angularly without crossbleed of imagery.

Last edited by Frederf; 10/16/13 02:00 AM.
#3850727 - 10/16/13 04:23 PM Re: Was Oculus Rift just turned obsolete??!! [Re: JG301_HaJa]  
SkateZilla Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
SkateZilla  Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran

Virginia Beach, VA
not to get all off topic,

But that Camera Angle had just the right amount of Cleavage to keep my attention through out the looooong boring explanation of what they are building.

Awesome Planning in regards to filming.

HAF922, Corsair RM850, ASRock Fata1ity 990FX Pro,
Modified Corsair H100, AMD FX8350 @ 5.31GHz, 16GB G.SKILL@DDR2133,
2x R7970 Lightnings, +1 HD7950 @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Fata1ity Platinum Champ.,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns�G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050), Oculus Rift CV
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throt., Pro Pedals, TM Warthog & MFDs, Fanatec CSR Wheel/Shifter, Elite Pedals
Intensity Pro 10-Bit, TrackIR 4 Pro, WD Black 1.5TB, WD Black 640GB, Samsung 850 500GB, My Book 4TB
#3850733 - 10/16/13 04:32 PM Re: Was Oculus Rift just turned obsolete??!! [Re: SkateZilla]  
blindone Offline
Master of None
blindone  Offline
Master of None

Denver, Colorado
Originally Posted By: SkateZilla

But that Camera Angle had just the right amount of Cleavage to keep my attention through out the looooong boring explanation of what they are building.

mmmmilk.

#3850755 - 10/16/13 05:21 PM Re: Was Oculus Rift just turned obsolete??!! [Re: Peally]  
FearlessFrog Offline
FearlessFrog  Offline

Originally Posted By: Peally
Originally Posted By: Smokin_Hole

Always remember, there's plenty of brilliant people that need to be fired wink

You never know.

The backstory on this (i.e. gossip) is interesting, in that:

- Valve owned the tech rights to CastAR, in that Jeri and the hardware team were employed by Valve. What you invent is owned (at the very least partially) by your own employer, especially in CS/IT/Gaming.

- Valve want to concentrate on Steambox\Steamcontroller\SteamOS first with the hardware people they have. They thought AR was not inline with what they wanted to do.

- Jeri really wanted to pursue CastAR, so (and this is the freaky bit when you think about it), Gabe and Valve decided to release the tech to her for free and say 'good luck, go for it'. They let about 25 people go.

I've not seen CastAR in action, but it looks great and I'm certainly interested in throwing in with the kickstarter.

#3850781 - 10/16/13 06:16 PM Re: Was Oculus Rift just turned obsolete??!! [Re: SkateZilla]  
Ratcatcher Offline
Ratcatcher  Offline

North Yorkshire, UK
Originally Posted By: SkateZilla

What a relief... I thought it might just have been me!

#3850936 - 10/17/13 12:31 AM Re: Was Oculus Rift just turned obsolete??!! [Re: JG301_HaJa]  
Frederf Offline
Frederf  Offline

Certainly not, I was verifiability in love by the 3 minute mark.

I still don't get why Valve would cast off something of such obvious value. They are pretty clever overall so they must have seen it.

#3851023 - 10/17/13 08:08 AM Re: Was Oculus Rift just turned obsolete??!! [Re: JG301_HaJa]  
Nomad76 Offline
Nomad76  Offline

The problem is it seems intended to do nothing more than create a kind of cube of 3d space. So you likely won't be able to use it in any currently existing game, and it'll require entirely different kinds of game design. Which I fear will tend to be gimmicky.

I have doubts that you could use it to create a kind of cave VR environment to use in flight simulators. It's designed to be projected onto a comparatively small area. The angular coverage won't be great enough, you'd find that you're looking at a kind of spotlight of view and around it in your peripheral view you'll see nothing. VR glasses also have a narrow field of view but they block out the periphery, with this you'd see beyond that, but there'd be nothing there.

It's an interesting idea, but it's currently an idea without an application. Maybe you could use it to visualize models in 3d modelling work, and other specialized applications, but for games it'll require completely new games. Made just for one expensive piece of hardware.

I'd love to play with it, but I'm not sure how much can be accomplished when you're limited to a kind of cube of space. Well, a cube and a bit of a narrow window in one direction, but the point of it is to create the impression of holograms on top of the surface, not depth into the screen.

#3851044 - 10/17/13 10:32 AM Re: Was Oculus Rift just turned obsolete??!! [Re: JG301_HaJa]  
Ratcatcher Offline
Ratcatcher  Offline

North Yorkshire, UK
Yes, I would have to agree with your concerns. It does really look "neat" but how practical will it be to actually use in current games, or as you say, will it require a whole new game process to go forward specifically written for the device?

Thats maybe why they let her go from Valve, which at the end of the day, is a buisness. If you are personally connected to a design you do become somewhat blinkered in your thoughts about it. I think Valve took a step back and thought "yeah thats neat, but we can't actually use it for what we do"

#3851355 - 10/18/13 09:26 AM Re: Was Oculus Rift just turned obsolete??!! [Re: JG301_HaJa]  
Nomad76 Offline
Nomad76  Offline

Something has just occurred to me. Really the kickstarter page already had this info but I didn't see it. They're suggesting it could be used for tabletop wargaming.

And suddenly I can imagine. I see the vision. I remain super skeptical that it'll happen, but I see it. Either a traditional turn based style wargame or maybe even an RTS, done in a VR tank style. Now it's limited, you can only really look at it from one side, so it's not like you can have people surrounding it on all sides. And more to the point, I'm not sure you could use it with more than one person at a time. Which is an issue because tabletop wargames have always been social games with multiple people playing together.

I know everyone's thinking Warhammer, but my only tabletop gaming experience has been Battletech. I'm imagining a three dimensional battlefield, with rendered units walking up and down the terrain.

Or with an RTS, I can see using the wand to tap on a unit to select it, or to draw a box to select multiple units or whatever.

Also I saw the part where they plan to have a clip on reflector thing so the glasses can be used as normal VR glasses. So that should provide compatibility with nearly anything, IF they have driver support for it. But I'm not sure they expect to. I'm talking about something like Nvidia's 3d solution, which generally works on any game running on Nvidia hardware except with the possibility of some flaws like some things being rendered at the wrong depth.

I actually am excited about the idea of this. I just worry that it'll be released and then fizzle because of a vicious cycle where not enough developers make games for it because not enough people are buying it because not enough developers are making games for it.

#3851362 - 10/18/13 10:19 AM Re: Was Oculus Rift just turned obsolete??!! [Re: Nomad76]  
Valisk_61 Offline
Valisk_61  Offline

Widnes, UK
Originally Posted By: Nomad76
Now it's limited, you can only really look at it from one side, so it's not like you can have people surrounding it on all sides. And more to the point, I'm not sure you could use it with more than one person at a time. Which is an issue because tabletop wargames have always been social games with multiple people playing together.

I'm not sure where you've got that from? It can be viewed from all sides, by multiple people simultaneously.

Here's another vid:

FS~Valisk 'Val'
www.skiesoffire.org

"I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson about the limitations of humans. I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive." - Randall Munroe
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.