Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#3845655 - 10/03/13 11:24 PM Re: If you have not yet backed, what would it take? [Re: no_one_you_know]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
Originally Posted By: no_one_you_know
It would take Luthier having absolutely nothing to do with it. Giving money now for something that may be playable in 6 years doesn't seem like a good risk.

Understanding you just like to twist a knife in Luthier every chance you get with your exaggerations, it shouldn't take to long to create a playable demo. There are always delays in this type of work but there is a very good chance it could be done in far less than two years. Considering there is a working game engine, with two aircraft already done, there shouldn't be too many road blocks in creating another three aircraft and the relatively small Normandy map. That said it will be interesting to see if the EDGE SDK will allow community modders to add a small strip of Southern England in time for the initial release.

Last edited by Chivas; 10/03/13 11:25 PM.

Intel core I7 4790K @ 4.4
Asus Maximus Hero VII Motherboard
16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Cougar Throttle/X55 Throttle/Saitek Levers
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
Voice Activation Controls
#3845742 - 10/04/13 03:14 AM Re: If you have not yet backed, what would it take? [Re: luthier]  
kestrel79 Offline
kestrel79  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
Alright I'm finally in for 40 bones. P47 is my fav plane I can't resist smile

Intel i5 2500k // Asus P8P67 // 16GB G.Skill RAM // RX480 8GB // 27" monitor // VKB Black Mamba Mk.III // Warthog Throttle // TFRP Pedals // W7
#3845838 - 10/04/13 10:06 AM Re: If you have not yet backed, what would it take? [Re: Chivas]  
Andrew McP Offline
Andrew McP  Offline

Kent, UK
Originally Posted By: Chivas
The future of combat flight sims is actually very bright.

My experience says otherwise. But my experience is tainted by the fact I have almost zero interest in online games (despite having sunk way too much money into iRacing during a stagnant period --- now coming to an end, thankfully! -- for modern racing sims). So I've been waiting for a decent campaign engine in a sim since Comanche-Hokum.

I still wish they'd been able to keep developing that engine. It wasn't perfect by any means, but the scale of operations were large enough to present a challenge, and small enough that my actions felt important (I always felt like a spare part in Falcon4's impressive war machine). I could also influence the way the ground war developed with my actions, and it's that kind of involving, satisfying interaction I'm after.

But that requires imagination rather than just the incredible modeling talent which the few remaining sim projects focus on. And while I appreciate the effort that goes into that modelling, for many years I have been given amazing cockpits to sit in, but no really compelling reason to fly them.

I appreciate I'm in a minority among this small community, but I think I'm in a majority of the potential audience for flight sims. Give me Strike Commander's story and Falcon 4's modelling and they can have my $1 any time they like!

Talking of money, I have entered into complex negotiations with the team responsible for allowing me access to the contents of my wallet, and they have reluctantly agreed to release the princely sum of $1 in order to facilitate a medium term wager on the triumph of hope over experience.

There's no fool like an old fool. ;-)

#3845886 - 10/04/13 12:43 PM Re: If you have not yet backed, what would it take? [Re: luthier]  
Bearcat99 Offline
Bearcat99  Offline

USA
Originally Posted By: luthier
Hey folks,
I haven't really reached out to SimHQ, for which I apologize. I think this is the farthest from "official" community that still has a lot of participants, and the criticism here has been the strongest. So this is probably the best place to ask.

The kickstarter did very well and we're very happy to have reached our goal. If nothing else changes, this is still a huge success and we'll work very hard to deliver a lean mean flight sim and keep the series going.

However we'd really like to try to reach those stretch goals.

The feeling I have now is that we're offering too much for free. We were probably overly optimistic, and we expected to hit a lot more stretch goals. We did not. The free portion is at least partially to blame. To many people, there's no incentive to back. The project will still come out with enough free content to keep them excited.

So, I have two questions:

1. How would you react if we cut down the free portion to non-backers? Anyone who had already backed the project would receive everything exactly as promised earlier, three free planes minimum, etc.
However non-backers would receive only ONE free plane in the initial release, similar to DCS World with the Su-25.

2. Is there anything else that could sway you personally to back this project in the next five days?

We really want to make that Me.262 flyable. At the current rate, that's not going to happen. What should we change?
Please don't hold back!

I am already in at a substantial level so I am getting everything + stretch when it comes wave I think that cutting down the free portion to non backers is a no brainer. If DCS WWII goes like the other DCS modules then non backers should just pay for the planes they buy. I am assuming that the base DCS WWII World will be free like DCS world and maybe come with one flyable .. or maybe not..but I think that non supporters should pay for what they get. I don't think that they should get any freebies. Look man the past is the past .. You don't owe is anything but a decent product upon release so from my perspective as long as you deliver on that then I am happy. I think that the product should and hopefully will stand on it's own merits and that once released it will advertise itself to a large extent for better or worse and as long as it is for the better it will all fall into place. Just keep us updated within reason and make a good product.

Originally Posted By: 911dan
Luthier, since the announcement of the KS the one good move you made thus far was limiting your engagement on the forums. Posting here is a mistake. Do your best to bring your vision to the next generation of WWII sims and let the chips fall where they may.

Luthier is a seasoned veteran of the UBI forums so he is well aware of what he is getting into as you probably already know.. wink but I think that engagement on the forums is important.. but I think it should be limited to actual progress and specific otherwise folks will start to get antsy.. and comments like the ones below (although I have to admit Andrew was much more reasonable in his post.. ) .. which are old and un called for will sprout like weeds. Look I am certain that everybody in here who bought CoD has spent more money on beer and junk since they bought it than they did on CoD, so some of us just need to grow up and just get over it.. It's a new day and if you want in then get in if you don't then stay out but the nastiness and the vitriol is just uncalled for. It really is that simple folks. I am certain that whatever pain anyone who felt burned by CoD experienced pales in comparison to what Ilya & crew felt seeing their project go the way it did for whatever reason it went that way.. so we all need to move on from there. He has. It's a new day.. a new dawn.. and with all the sim goodness coming down the pike folks need to anticipate basking in the noontime sun rather than complaining about the chill of the previous night.

Originally Posted By: Hellfire257
The sky to fall down.

Originally Posted By: no_one_you_know
It would take Luthier having absolutely nothing to do with it. Giving money now for something that may be playable in 6 years doesn't seem like a good risk.

Originally Posted By: Andrew McP
What would it take? A time machine, so I could go back and forget Cliffs of Disappointment.
It was CoD which made me re-evaluate my attachment to this hobby. I'd already fallen out of love with Eagle and the decisions they'd made to keep their corner of this tiny, struggling hobby alive. CoD just hammered the last nail into the coffin of my enthusiasm and made me retreat to a PC capable of running Longbow2.

Ah, those glorious tutorials! Argghhh, those awful low res graphics. ;-)

However 20 years on from the previews of Tornado which got me into this hobby, I still can't resist reading flight sim forums. I'm like a fan of horror movies, crouching behind the couch, watching through gaps in my fingers. I know it's all going to end in tears, but I can't stop watching!

Having said all that, I still wish this project the very best of luck. Prove me wrong. Be incredibly successful. I mean it! But me and my wallet are staying over here, behind the sofa, making Spitfire noises and trying to remember the days when I was optimistic about this stuff.
Ah, I was young and foolish once! Now I'm just old and stupid. ;-)

Somehow I think that with all the stuff coming down the pike you and your wallet may be having some issues in the near future.. wink

Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.
#3846326 - 10/05/13 11:02 AM Re: If you have not yet backed, what would it take? [Re: GrimLeo]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Originally Posted By: GrimLeo
We should make it a rule that if you don't KS pledge DCS WWII, you can't complain about DCS WWII when it comes out. right

And I think we should make a rule that prevents such idiotic posts!

OR,

In order to cater your desires we could make a rule that forces all democracies to be instantly replaced by dictatorships which after all is the basis of your post!

#3846331 - 10/05/13 11:19 AM Re: If you have not yet backed, what would it take? [Re: ricnunes]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: ricnunes
We should make it a rule that if you don't KS pledge DCS WWII, you can't complain about DCS WWII when it comes out. right

OR,

In order to cater your desires we could make a rule that forces all democracies to be instantly replaced by dictatorships which after all is the basis of your post!

LOL, talk about idiot posts...

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#3846372 - 10/05/13 02:43 PM Re: If you have not yet backed, what would it take? [Re: luthier]  
msalama Offline
msalama  Offline

Quote:
...if you don't KS pledge DCS WWII, you can't complain about DCS WWII when it comes out.

Oh, let them complain. Just remember that those complaints are completely ignorable since they're not participating smile

#3846397 - 10/05/13 04:07 PM Re: If you have not yet backed, what would it take? [Re: ricnunes]  
shadylurker Offline
shadylurker  Offline

Originally Posted By: ricnunes

OR,

But lets take this deeper, You have to be part of the democracy to take part in it. You can't piss and moan about France and expect them to take you seriously if you don't even live there.

#3846412 - 10/05/13 04:54 PM Re: If you have not yet backed, what would it take? [Re: luthier]  
SlipBall Offline
disillusioned
SlipBall  Offline
disillusioned

East Coast U.S.A.
Last call!! woot

Post composed with speech to text, it woks grape!

Clod
OEM screenshots & videos of Eu release..So I fly the original game because I am a off-liner and the game's AI was broken after the last good patch, game version 1.0.13954
GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
#3846425 - 10/05/13 05:41 PM Re: If you have not yet backed, what would it take? [Re: luthier]  
Logan Offline
Head Tater peeler
Logan  Offline
Head Tater peeler

All done now. cheers

Logan,
Head Tater peeler,OIC of nothing
#3847616 - 10/08/13 11:56 AM Re: If you have not yet backed, what would it take? [Re: luthier]  
BigC208 Offline
BigC208  Offline

Charlotte NC USA
Bit late I know. A Typhoon or Tempest instead of the me262 would've made me pull the trigger. Normandy map and no Tiffy? I understand why they're doing it but still. I'm going to sit back and wait until it goes retail. Take the one free plane for a spin and take it from there.

5930k@4.5ghz, 32gb ram, gtx1080ti, Samsung 55 inch 4k, Warthog Hotas, MFG Crosswind, VKB Black Mamba, VKB Gunfighter MCE Ultimate, Reverb G2.
#3848449 - 10/10/13 02:58 AM Re: If you have not yet backed, what would it take? [Re: Andrew McP]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Originally Posted By: Andrew McP
Originally Posted By: Chivas
The future of combat flight sims is actually very bright.

My experience says otherwise. But my experience is tainted by the fact I have almost zero interest in online games (despite having sunk way too much money into iRacing during a stagnant period --- now coming to an end, thankfully! -- for modern racing sims). So I've been waiting for a decent campaign engine in a sim since Comanche-Hokum.

I still wish they'd been able to keep developing that engine. It wasn't perfect by any means, but the scale of operations were large enough to present a challenge, and small enough that my actions felt important (I always felt like a spare part in Falcon4's impressive war machine). I could also influence the way the ground war developed with my actions, and it's that kind of involving, satisfying interaction I'm after.

But that requires imagination rather than just the incredible modeling talent which the few remaining sim projects focus on. And while I appreciate the effort that goes into that modelling, for many years I have been given amazing cockpits to sit in, but no really compelling reason to fly them.

I appreciate I'm in a minority among this small community, but I think I'm in a majority of the potential audience for flight sims. Give me Strike Commander's story and Falcon 4's modelling and they can have my $1 any time they like!

Talking of money, I have entered into complex negotiations with the team responsible for allowing me access to the contents of my wallet, and they have reluctantly agreed to release the princely sum of $1 in order to facilitate a medium term wager on the triumph of hope over experience.

There's no fool like an old fool. ;-)

Beautiful..and so very true.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#3850502 - 10/16/13 12:36 AM Re: If you have not yet backed, what would it take? [Re: luthier]  
JV44HeinzBar Offline
JV44HeinzBar  Offline

Stuck in Yankee land..ugh
S!,
Well, to be honest, I kinda forgot about DCS:WW2. Real life will do that frown Anyhow, I just went to the KS webpage and I no longer see an option to donate. Am I overlooking something, or has the KS program stopped?

HB

American by Birth; Southern by the Grace of God.

www.jagdverband44.com

My Rig:
Win 10 Pro 64
AMD Ryzen 3900x
EVGA GTX 780 3gb (stock)
16gb ddr4 3200
2Tb nve HD for OS
3 6tb 7200 WD black HDD
Asus 570 motherboard
HP Reverb G2, Virpil CM2 Throttle, Virpil Warbrd base with Warbrd grip
#3850534 - 10/16/13 02:59 AM Re: If you have not yet backed, what would it take? [Re: JV44HeinzBar]  
Taxman Offline
Taxman  Offline

Portland, OR USA
Originally Posted By: JV44HeinzBar
S!,
Well, to be honest, I kinda forgot about DCS:WW2. Real life will do that frown Anyhow, I just went to the KS webpage and I no longer see an option to donate. Am I overlooking something, or has the KS program stopped?

HB

The KS was completed on October 5th. Funding reached 159K, but don't know if Paypal fiquires are included.
From my reading there maybe a new KS to fund the B-17 project, but not in the near future.

Taxes are my part time profession, flying is my passion.
#3850620 - 10/16/13 11:33 AM Re: If you have not yet backed, what would it take? [Re: luthier]  
Allen Offline
Hotshot
Allen  Offline
Hotshot

Ohio USA
KS is over.

New KS next year??

Other money source: Next year, sell betas of DCS:WW2 content on Steam (to those not in KS program). I notice that worked well for another game I'm "involved" in (supported by buying a beta). That game got more income in a week of selling betas than they got out of the entire KS (so they say).

FWIW

Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 23P (1080p) + SAMSUNG 32" Odyssey Neo G7 1000R curve (4K/2160p) + 23P (1080p), AMD R9-7950X (ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420), 64GB RAM@6.0GHz, Gigabyte X670E AORUS MASTER MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~52TB storage, EVGA 1600W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, AORUS Thunder M7 Mouse, W11 Pro
#3857139 - 11/01/13 06:53 PM Re: If you have not yet backed, what would it take? [Re: Allen]  
JV44HeinzBar Offline
JV44HeinzBar  Offline

Stuck in Yankee land..ugh
Originally Posted By: Allen
KS is over.

New KS next year??

Other money source: Next year, sell betas of DCS:WW2 content on Steam (to those not in KS program). I notice that worked well for another game I'm "involved" in (supported by buying a beta). That game got more income in a week of selling betas than they got out of the entire KS (so they say).

FWIW

+1

Since I missed out on the KS, I'd support DCS:ww2 by purchasing via Steam. I really regretting that I missed out on the KS program. I'd like to have another chance to support this future sim.

HB

American by Birth; Southern by the Grace of God.

www.jagdverband44.com

My Rig:
Win 10 Pro 64
AMD Ryzen 3900x
EVGA GTX 780 3gb (stock)
16gb ddr4 3200
2Tb nve HD for OS
3 6tb 7200 WD black HDD
Asus 570 motherboard
HP Reverb G2, Virpil CM2 Throttle, Virpil Warbrd base with Warbrd grip
#3858160 - 11/04/13 12:24 PM Re: If you have not yet backed, what would it take? [Re: luthier]  
LuseKofte Offline
LuseKofte  Offline

The input in control setup will not recognize my leo bothnar USB controllcard

So I will have to buy me a new Warthog just for this game. That is kind of all fashion.
If they updated and improved the settings I would be all over this sim

Last edited by Le0ne; 11/04/13 12:25 PM.
#3866183 - 11/22/13 01:43 AM Re: If you have not yet backed, what would it take? [Re: LuseKofte]  
julian265 Offline
julian265  Offline

Originally Posted By: Le0ne
The input in control setup will not recognize my leo bothnar USB controllcard

So I will have to buy me a new Warthog just for this game. That is kind of all fashion.
If they updated and improved the settings I would be all over this sim

It recognises mine. The only incompatibility that I'm aware of is some of the earlier BU0836's with Windows 7.

#3869987 - 12/01/13 08:37 PM Re: If you have not yet backed, what would it take? [Re: luthier]  
robmypro Offline
robmypro  Offline

It would take an act of God. Not happening. Ever.

#3872274 - 12/06/13 04:03 AM Re: If you have not yet backed, what would it take? [Re: luthier]  
Frederf Offline
Frederf  Offline

For me to get excited about this I would require aircraft numbers as seen in historical engagements and historical behavior from all participants.

I'm so very over the IL-2 style 8 planes randomly generated meeting 8 opposing planes and the AI circle fighting until on or the other is destroyed. If lead can't fly a historical cruise speed for a human wing I'm out.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.