Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#3846941 - 10/07/13 03:17 AM Re: Got part of the medical bill from daughters crash... [Re: Magnum]  
ripper998 Offline
ripper998  Offline

San Antonio, Tx
Of course our system is broke. Blame the insurance companies and greedy hospitals. My brother in law is self employeed and makes six figures a year. His wife just had a child and they dont have insurance because he found its cheaper to pay out of pocket. When they had the child in the hospital, without insurance just for the delievery it was going to cost him $30K. When he told the hospital he could pay cash if they would give him a discount, they dropped the bill to $5K. What a ripoff our system is. Insurance companies are a scam

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3846943 - 10/07/13 03:25 AM Re: Got part of the medical bill from daughters crash... [Re: Magnum]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
No worries, Obamacare will fix all of those problems......

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3846947 - 10/07/13 03:33 AM Re: Got part of the medical bill from daughters crash... [Re: Magnum]  
TankHunter Offline
Misanthropic Peon
TankHunter  Offline
Misanthropic Peon

No, it will just solve the problem of poor people having the risk of not having health insurance, all this is done in in a market friendly way (I.E., the right people still get the tons of money that they always have been getting).

Last edited by TankHunter; 10/07/13 03:34 AM.

l'Audace, toujours l'audace

I dont have pet peeves; I have major, psychotic hatreds. - George Carlin

Even if you have a crown and sit at a throne
In the end you will have nothing
Even if you are destined for great riches
In the end you will return to the dust
#3846948 - 10/07/13 03:34 AM Re: Got part of the medical bill from daughters crash... [Re: Magnum]  
Phas3e Offline
Phas3e  Offline

New Zealand
I'm glad we have free health care in NZ, that must really hurt.

#3846964 - 10/07/13 04:26 AM Re: Got part of the medical bill from daughters crash... [Re: Magnum]  
Legend Offline
Legsie is such a
Legend  Offline
Legsie is such a
Hotshot

Zutphen, NL / ShangHai, China
Very sorry to hear, Magnum. And yes, I agree that these prices are ridiculous.

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more inexplicable.
There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
#3846976 - 10/07/13 05:12 AM Re: Got part of the medical bill from daughters crash... [Re: Magnum]  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida
When it rains, it pours... Just heard a warrant has been issued for her arrest... DUI... My concern now is that I beleave, and rightfully so IMO, that insurance won't pay any if crime committed while doing it...

But I didn't use my car insurance, used medical... So maybe I'm wrong.

#3846978 - 10/07/13 05:22 AM Re: Got part of the medical bill from daughters crash... [Re: Magnum]  
HitchHikingFlatlander Offline
HitchHikingFlatlander  Offline

California
Magnum sorry to hear of medical costs and the problems you and your daughter are facing. And also sorry to talk politics, in the end at least your daughter is alive to the tale however much the tale sucks.

I've got a bad feeling about this.....
#3846980 - 10/07/13 05:26 AM Re: Got part of the medical bill from daughters crash... [Re: Magnum]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA
Originally Posted By: Magnum
When it rains, it pours... Just heard a warrant has been issued for her arrest... DUI... My concern now is that I beleave, and rightfully so IMO, that insurance won't pay any if crime committed while doing it...

Wait...you mean she was intoxicated on the scooter at the time of the accident?

Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard
Windows 7 64 bit Home edition
Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
16 gig 1866mhz Corsair Vengence Pro memory
EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked 4gb Video Card
Intel 510 series 120gb SSD (boot drive)
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"

#3846989 - 10/07/13 06:04 AM Re: Got part of the medical bill from daughters crash... [Re: Magnum]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS

That sucks Magnum, I'm sorry to hear it. I would think medical would still pay, but I doubt auto would. Medical shouldn't care, they cover the person, not the circumstances.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#3846991 - 10/07/13 06:07 AM Re: Got part of the medical bill from daughters crash... [Re: Magnum]  
HogDriver Offline
Retired Flight Simmer
HogDriver  Offline
Retired Flight Simmer

Crap. Sorry Mag. Wonder if the Aussie healthcare system covers vasectomies, because I sure as hell don't want kids. Oh wait, I'm married, I never have sex anyway. All good. thumbsup

That's a bunch of #%&*$# though. $56K for ER...

I had a minor procedure on my foot once in Texas, when it came time to pay for it, it was actually cheaper to not have insurance. I was like WTF, you mean because I don't have insurance, it's actually cheaper for me than for someone who DOES have insurance? So they're paying MORE on top of paying the insurance premiums? Cost me like $200.

Another example is I had pretty significant dental surgery in May. (in Australia, with no coverage) And it maybe cost me $5000-6000. That included surgeon's fee, anathesiologist's (sp?) fee, hospital fee etc. I shudder to think what it would have cost in America.

I refuse to buy a flight sim that I have no interest in playing, on the off chance that MAYBE someday they'll make the one I really want to play.

#3847000 - 10/07/13 06:44 AM Re: Got part of the medical bill from daughters crash... [Re: Magnum]  
ColJamesD Offline
ColJamesD  Offline

USA
I was in the Hospital two years ago for Bronchitis.

I paid my copay (over $1,600) and when it's all said and done, I still received bills from the person who looked at my X-Ray results ($285 after my insurance and I'd already paid over $450 to the hospital's Radiology department) and a physician ($696) who examined me for about 5 min.

I was told those 2 people were contracted to the Hospital but their services are not included in the hospital bill and my insurance doesn't cover them.

The bill I received for the physician came from an office in Philadelphia and I went to the Hospital here in Plano, TX.

I was suspicious of that bill.

I thought it was a scam.

But after further research, it was real.

Why would a physician who contracts his services out to a hospital in Plano, TX use a Philadelphia address to send out bills for his service?

What's in the box? C'mon, what's in the boooox?
#3847002 - 10/07/13 07:23 AM Re: Got part of the medical bill from daughters crash... [Re: Magnum]  
kaa Offline
kaa  Offline

France

Very sorry to hear about the legal complications of your matter...maybe some aquaintances you get in your job could help you to soften your trouble ? or here at SimHQ ?

Last edited by kaa; 10/07/13 07:26 AM.

"Anyone can shoot you down if you don't see him coming but it takes a wonderfully good Hun to bag a Camel if you're expecting him."
Tom Cundall.
#3847026 - 10/07/13 09:02 AM Re: Got part of the medical bill from daughters crash... [Re: Magnum]  
Comrade_Hedgehog Offline
Comrade_Hedgehog  Offline

The Sticks, England.
Are you still string down the barrel of losing one's man cave Mag?
You might be able to turn this to one's advantage?

(Let the evil scheming commence. Mwhahahaha!
Remember you are the head of the house!)

smile

Its not the bullet with your name on it you have to worry about.
But the one addressed:
"To Whom It May Concern"
#3847027 - 10/07/13 09:09 AM Re: Got part of the medical bill from daughters crash... [Re: Magnum]  
jdbecks Offline
Room Clear!
jdbecks  Offline
Room Clear!

England
what would have happened if you never had insurance?

#3847036 - 10/07/13 10:56 AM Re: Got part of the medical bill from daughters crash... [Re: jdbecks]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: jdbecks
what would have happened if you never had insurance?
Most likely she would have been treated at the nearest county (public) hospital and the bill would be paid in installments. That's standard operating procedure with most uninsured cases.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3847059 - 10/07/13 12:46 PM Re: Got part of the medical bill from daughters crash... [Re: ColJamesD]  
Cold_Flying Offline
6079 Smith
Cold_Flying  Offline
6079 Smith

Quebec, Canada
Originally Posted By: ColJamesD
I was in the Hospital two years ago for Bronchitis.

I paid my copay (over $1,600) and when it's all said and done, I still received bills from the person who looked at my X-Ray results ($285 after my insurance and I'd already paid over $450 to the hospital's Radiology department) and a physician ($696) who examined me for about 5 min.

I was told those 2 people were contracted to the Hospital but their services are not included in the hospital bill and my insurance doesn't cover them.

The bill I received for the physician came from an office in Philadelphia and I went to the Hospital here in Plano, TX.

I was suspicious of that bill.

I thought it was a scam.

But after further research, it was real.

Why would a physician who contracts his services out to a hospital in Plano, TX use a Philadelphia address to send out bills for his service?

You see, there's something wrong with all that, because from my experience having to pay cash when my medicare card was expired - money I was refunded when it was renewed - all of that would probably total about $300 tops here.

I think an x-ray here, if you have to pay because your medicare card is expired, is less than $50. A standard doctor's visit is also in the $50 (or less) range unless things get complicated.

Question everything!
#3847060 - 10/07/13 12:48 PM Re: Got part of the medical bill from daughters crash... [Re: Magnum]  
Wireman Offline
Lurker Extraordinaire
Wireman  Offline
Lurker Extraordinaire
Hotshot

The First State, USA

The plot thickens. Sorry to hear about you and your problems with this. Hope it works out for you. This is making me dread the coming teen years of the new generation.

#3847110 - 10/07/13 02:57 PM Re: Got part of the medical bill from daughters crash... [Re: Magnum]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
Damn Magnum, sorry to hear, hope things work out somehow.

i7-7700k@4.5ghz, GTX1080Ti,BenQ XL2420G-g-sync,Oculus Rift
#3847138 - 10/07/13 03:43 PM Re: Got part of the medical bill from daughters crash... [Re: Magnum]  
Wrecking Crew Offline
Smooth Operator
Wrecking Crew  Offline
Smooth Operator
Hotshot

Colorado
This is going to sound crass - but are you financially responsible, or is she? Was she out of the house -- not living with you -- at the time of the accident?

WC

#3847191 - 10/07/13 05:23 PM Re: Got part of the medical bill from daughters crash... [Re: Magnum]  
Chef Offline
Chef  Offline

North Carolina
Magnum, you need to call the hospital/physician office(s), etc... and negotiate what to pay them. I have worked at six hospital and everyone of them discounted self pay balances. Our patient population is older and able to pay better than most but we only ever collect about 5% on Self Pay balances. In the past I've seen people setup payment plans for $1/mo (that's not a typo) on $35,000 bills. You probably won't be able to get away with that anymore but $25 or $50/mo is possible.

You health insurance should still pay the bill when you auto insurance wouldn't. I'd be a little surprised if your insurance doesn't have an Out of Pocket that limits what you have to pay before they pay 100%. Mine for example pays 80% (in network) and I am responsible for 20% up to $3000. After that the insurance pays 100% for the rest of the year. That's medical. My dental insurance sucks but that is different.

There are pretty complex formulas on how charges are calculated and we contract out to third parties what we charge for services. They're weighted on the complexity of the services each hospital offers. When Medicare pays a set rate for a visit based on your diagnosis. If it costs the hospital more than that to care for the patient they loose money. If it costs less...which is unusual, the hospital makes money. Medicaid pays about 30% of charges. The rest of the charges are usually adjusted off. The United States Healthcare system is going thru some pretty significant changes with the Affordable Care Act effective October 2013 and switching from ICD9 to ICD10 coding which means we going from 3,000 diagnosis codes to 97,000 diagnosis codes effective October 2014. Which means the government will have significantly more ways to deny payment for "coding" errors.

I read one comment on how "greedy" hospitals are. Hospitals usually loose money. This year we actually turned a 2.2% profit in our little non-profit hospital and it was the best fiscally this hospital ever did. Its interesting how if someone was build a house they wouldn't bat an eye at paying electricians, plumbers, builders etc... separately for their services but expect it to be different at a hospital. Doctors perform services at hospital, they usually don't work for them. However, that again is changing with the ARRA act (which is different that the Affordable Care Act). It's sort of "encouraging" physicians to partner with hospitals to upgrade their systems or they will eventually be penalized with lower payments from Medicare.

I have always felt that self pay patients always got screwed the most on their bills if they didn't negotiate and paid in full. That said, 95% of our self pay patients do not pay and we don't put a lien on them. Most do go to collections but I'm sure most are used to the calls even if we get a legitimate phone number from them.

This is for a non-profit hospital. I'm not sure how for-profit hospitals work but I wouldn't work for one because I don't feel like healthcare should be a money making business in principal.

Just make a phone call an negotiate. The absolute worst that can happen is you remain in the situation you are in now.

The road less traveled is filled with fewer needy people.
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.