Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3845926 - 10/04/13 02:29 PM Swedish Delights (SB Pro PE)  
TankHunter Offline
Misanthropic Peon
TankHunter  Offline
Misanthropic Peon

This is an AAR from the Saturday mission hosted by the Germans and made by an evil Swede named profevil (Duke just put up an AAR of the same mission).

The basic idea of the mission is that a Swedish task force is to advance and take a series of objectives, I had command of a tank section which was attached to a CV9040 platoon which was run by a group of Ausies. The area that the operations take place in is the deepest darkest part of Sweden, where if there aren't trees in the way it is swampland. In other words imagine Finland...

The task at the start is to follow rt. green, the IFVs are to branch off at the blue marker and attack through the woods (and swamp) while I cover from a support by fire position which is off map in the second screen, it is about 1k west of the CSS marker.

I get to the area and await orders to take up position at the support by fire marker, while waiting nothing is spotted except for a very surprised ATGM team at the CSS marker.

The CVs make their move and I take up the support by fire position.

At about that time the Soviets make their move.

The result was 3 dead enemy tanks and 1 CV90 lost. Friendly arty lands not long after to be sure the enemy is finished.

The tanks move up to help support the clearing of Bravo. Thankfully there was nothing in the area. It was then occupied by the CSS assets and I await the next move, which is to follow the CV90s north.

Soon after we are on the move...

...at times through recently cleared areas...

...and generally ravaged locations.

The orders after we get to the staging area is to advance along rt. recon and to the rail bridge at road red which is some 2k west of Foxtrot.

After the tanks and the 9040s are across the river we are tasked with assaulting Foxtrot. I head at full speed down the road until contact is made with the leading CV90 formation. They had some fun.

However some action was to be had for me. About 2x platoons of T80s charge down the northern road heading to Foxtrot. They don't last long.

We set up SE of Foxtrot covering the northern road with one tank, and another covering a bridge to the east while the mech infantry cover the northern road up close. However the mission is complete and the enemy avoids further action.

To be honest my section lucked out, the other tank platoons in the force suffered pretty horrible losses, about 6 tanks were lost, 1 to a lucky enemy artillery shell which crashed through the roof armor and 5 others in an infantry ambush. These forces were east of me, mostly heading north directly to the objective. If I had encountered more infantry than the 1 ATGM team it may well have been a very short mission for me. They have really upped the game of the infantry. Before they could be nasty, now they are just terrifying.

The other change that makes life interesting are "silent" kills. In other words you shoot a tank, you have killed it and it is no longer a threat, but it isn't apparent that it isn't a threat. Its something that games like Steel Fury do really well but SB never did, till now. Before the main gun of the killed vehicle would immediately depress, now there is no indication that the vehicle is destroyed unless it is burning or had popped its turret. Its a small but major change in the game. The last engagement lead me to shooting at already killed T-80s because I wasn't sure if they were alive or dead. 'Tis better to waste ammo than get wasted by still live tank.

The arty changes are also pretty nice, earlier in the AAR I pretty much jumped out of my seat when the ICM artillery barrage was screeching overhead, it is pretty terrifying. It was a good inauguration of the new update.

All in all it was a good, well hosted mission.

Last edited by TankHunter; 10/04/13 02:34 PM.

l'Audace, toujours l'audace

I don’t have pet peeves; I have major, psychotic hatreds. - George Carlin

Even if you have a crown and sit at a throne
In the end you will have nothing
Even if you are destined for great riches
In the end you will return to the dust
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3845929 - 10/04/13 02:31 PM Re: Swedish Delights (SB Pro PE) [Re: TankHunter]  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida
Very nice action and cockpit shots... Thx again.

#3845999 - 10/04/13 05:21 PM Re: Swedish Delights (SB Pro PE) [Re: TankHunter]  
enigma6584 Offline
enigma6584  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
Excellent AAR TankHunter! One of these times I'm going to have to join those Germans in a game. I hear they host a great server and are always helpful and patient. Is that map one of the new maps that came with version 3.0?

#3846037 - 10/04/13 06:28 PM Re: Swedish Delights (SB Pro PE) [Re: TankHunter]  
TankHunter Offline
Misanthropic Peon
TankHunter  Offline
Misanthropic Peon

The map was around before the new version came out, how long before I haven't a clue.

l'Audace, toujours l'audace

I don’t have pet peeves; I have major, psychotic hatreds. - George Carlin

Even if you have a crown and sit at a throne
In the end you will have nothing
Even if you are destined for great riches
In the end you will return to the dust
#3851389 - 10/18/13 12:24 PM Re: Swedish Delights (SB Pro PE) [Re: TankHunter]  
Immermann Offline
SimHQ's resident fire enthusiast.
Immermann  Offline
SimHQ's resident fire enthusiast.

Luleå/Norrbotten/Sweden
Originally Posted By: TankHunter
In other words imagine Finland...

LOL! Too true wink

"When I saw The Matrix at a local theatre in Slovenia, I had the unique opportunity of sitting close to the ideal spectator of the film - namely, to an idiot." - Slavoj Zizek
#3851486 - 10/18/13 04:29 PM Re: Swedish Delights (SB Pro PE) [Re: TankHunter]  
strykerpsg Offline
strykerpsg  Offline

Land of the Morning Calm
I love this series! Thanks for sharing.

Laptop:
Alienware M17 R3
i7-6820MQ
32 GB DDR3 1600Mhz memory, Win10 Pro 64 bit, DX11,
24GB GTX 980M video
Alienware Graphics Amplifier w GTX 1080 Strix Edition 8GB
A-10 Warthog HOTAS Joystick w/ Pedals
#3851732 - 10/19/13 08:47 AM Re: Swedish Delights (SB Pro PE) [Re: TankHunter]  
Ronin_GE Offline
Ronin_GE  Offline

Nice AAR!

Silent kills :-)

There a few indicators wether a tank is killed. And I have to say esim is modelling them pretty well:

Save ones:
-it is burning
-its turret lies about 30ft text to the tank

Less then save ones:
-it is not moving or shooting at you
-gun is either in maximum depression or elevation(depending on gun mount and turret power system)

Sometimes you have the crew incapacitated with your hit, and you see none of the above signs.

nec cupias, nec metuas

official steelbeasts website
www.steelbeasts.com
Panzerbataillon 911(v) Webseite
www.steelbeasts.org
#3852309 - 10/21/13 09:31 AM Re: Swedish Delights (SB Pro PE) [Re: Ronin_GE]  
Comrade_Hedgehog Offline
Comrade_Hedgehog  Offline

The Sticks, England.
Originally Posted By: Ronin_GE
Nice AAR!

Silent kills :-)

There a few indicators wether a tank is killed. And I have to say esim is modelling them pretty well:

Save ones:
-it is burning
-its turret lies about 30ft text to the tank

Less then save ones:
-it is not moving or shooting at you
-gun is either in maximum depression or elevation(depending on gun mount and turret power system)

Sometimes you have the crew incapacitated with your hit, and you see none of the above signs.

I find shooting it till it changes shape or colour is the safest method.
attack

Its not the bullet with your name on it you have to worry about.
But the one addressed:
"To Whom It May Concern"
#3853131 - 10/23/13 02:56 AM Re: Swedish Delights (SB Pro PE) [Re: TankHunter]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

ahoy Well done.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.