Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3840751 - 09/23/13 05:28 AM New Guy, New Mission  
Wesley Offline
Wesley  Offline

Hey all, new guy here. I've been around Hollo Pointe before and I was flying on Eno's server earlier tonight - few hours ago. Talked to a couple of ya on teamspeak. Background - I've been interested in flight games since I was about four. I had some on Windows 98, not that I really remember them. I'm 19 by the way. My first major jump into flight stuff was FSX around 2007. I didn't have a good PC then, but got a good laptop in '09. Flew with a small group of guys, if anyone has flown in "747s & Airliners ONLY" hosted by Morgas1 then I was ApacheC424. Mainly flew the 747, 737, Beechcraft Baron 58 (G1000 on occasion), P51, Spitfire MkIX (By Realair), a little FW190 and a fair bit of use from the F-18. I also did mod work for the guys I flew with, mainly fixing/modifying the aircraft to suite our preferences.

I bought A-10C on steam June 30th this year, it was my re-entry into sims. I've been off FSX for about a year and a half because of school and home - recent renovations kept me from setting up my Saitek flight equipment.
I'm absolutely pleased with DCS and have since tried FSX again when my TrackIR5 came in last week - I found FSX to be far worse then I last remember.......how perspectives change! Moving my head around in the F-18 I became very annoyed to find the pilot's head outside the cockpit or in the seat - and easily able to see that most of the aircraft isn't modeled from that view.

I did find DCS: World a couple weeks after buying the A10, and fortunately by then the serials had been merged to world aswell so I downloaded world and on the last steam day sale picked up everything excluding the A-10A and Su-25. I have yet to try the other craft, but have fiddled with CA.

So for now it's the A-10C, of which I mainly need to work on CCIP bombing. I'm fine with CDU waypoints, CMS, TGP, Mavericks, TAD, DSMS - and nearly all the other weapons. I'm obviously far from seasoned - but I know what I am doing! What I do do, however, will be a tad sloppy - I'm flying with an Xbox Controller at the moment - I didn't think the Saitek yoke would be very appropriate or useful. I have a HOTAS Warthog on order and waiting to be shipped. (I did originally order from NCIX and had to cancel - they didn't deliver after order placement of July 23. Emails back and forth. They dodged many questions and long story short are likely on credit hold.)

I've been around a few servers online, saw some things I liked and didn't like. As a result, I'd like to try to contribute something that I like, and hope others will aswell. So I'm diving right in and will be working on a CAS mission for MP featuring the A-10C, Su25T, CA & some AI air power. I'll outline that in another thread. If anyone has some tips & tricks or what could pass for good "standard practices" / basics for making MP missions, or missions in general - let me know! I'm not lazy, and will be digging around here and the ED forums but help is appreciated!

EDIT: Link here ---> My Mission Plan

Last edited by Wesley; 09/25/13 02:22 AM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3840843 - 09/23/13 02:16 PM Re: New Guy, New Mission [Re: Wesley]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
Welcome!

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#3840857 - 09/23/13 03:06 PM Re: New Guy, New Mission [Re: Wesley]  
Michiel Offline
Senior Junior Member
Michiel  Offline
Senior Junior Member

The Netherlands
Hi and welcome

a very senior junior member ;-)
#3840863 - 09/23/13 03:26 PM Re: New Guy, New Mission [Re: Wesley]  
Longbow fanatic Offline
Longbow fanatic  Offline

Santa Fe, NM USA
welcome! DCS is awesome, though it takes a lot of time to get a grasp of the aircraft, be it the A-10 or the Su-25 or F-15... I think DCS has the prettiest clouds in sims today!

My only big beef with DCS is it's taking so dang long to get a real fast moving jet study sim ) ie the F-18)

But at least it's coming! I burned out on the A-10 a long time ago.. If you're intersted , chk out the Seven G F-18 sim in development, I have the 1.03 demo and I've been playing that " early bulid" shooting carrier landings all day long, I love it. And the new videos of it show much improvement.... it's at 95 percemt comlpletion.. hopefully it has a campaign, or at least decent missions...
\
Have fun with DCS , might see you on the server some day, handle is "Longreach"

Why do people think flight sims are nerdy???
#3840881 - 09/23/13 04:19 PM Re: New Guy, New Mission [Re: Wesley]  
Wrecking Crew Offline
Smooth Operator
Wrecking Crew  Offline
Smooth Operator
Hotshot

Colorado
Originally Posted By: Wesley
Hey all, new guy here.

I've been around a few servers online, saw some things I liked and didn't like. As a result, I'd like to try to contribute something that I like, and hope others will as well. So I'm diving right in and will be working on a CAS mission for MP featuring the A-10C, Su25T, CA & some AI air power. I'll outline that in another thread. If anyone has some tips & tricks or what could pass for good "standard practices" / basics for making MP missions, or missions in general - let me know! I'm not lazy, and will be digging around here and the ED forums but help is appreciated!

Hey, Wesley -
Welcome to the fun house at SimHQ! Glad you found us here. I've enjoyed flying with you on Hollo Pointe.

I'm working on a new guide that explains my scheme for flags and group names -- here is an older version that explains the flags but comes up short on the group naming.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwHk38uryutrdE5IWjM2TU4wb0U/edit?usp=sharing
I hope to get the new guide posted next weekend.

A couple of gotchas in the ME right now... in fact, I've not been using it much with the latest v126. Waiting for the next patch that will hopefully fix a few things - especially the artillery Fire At Point. Most mission logic can be accomplished with the regular ME and events/triggers, and the Mist scripting capability adds in much more logic capability if you want to incorporate it. I do use Mist for detecting particular unit types in zones -- while the regular event logic can, for instance, detect a Blue Group in a zone, it can't distinguish between an a/c vs a vehicle, etc., but the Mist script stuff can. Lots of good stuff is in the DCS Mission Builders Corner.
http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=112179

Night time missions are kinda broken now, as the IR Pointer can't be seen with NVGs. I think CA is working OK -- vehicles Set Path was broken for a while but that's fixed; a Client Ground Commander cannot control AI a/c in multiplayer but can in ME Single Player testing so don't design in a/c control 'cause it won't work.

That was a fun MP session last Friday, but geez, flying all night up past midnight is stretching it for me anymore.

Do you have a computer that you can use as a server?

Wrecking Crew

#3841396 - 09/24/13 08:00 PM Re: New Guy, New Mission [Re: Wesley]  
Wrecking Crew Offline
Smooth Operator
Wrecking Crew  Offline
Smooth Operator
Hotshot

Colorado
Yo, Wesley, folks,
Link to the new Flags document,,, I am going to post it to DCSW Forums also.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3610212#Post3610212

WC

#3841497 - 09/25/13 02:21 AM Re: New Guy, New Mission [Re: Wesley]  
Wesley Offline
Wesley  Offline

I'm editing a link to the mission rundown - on ED forums, into the OP above, if you are on ED forums as well feel free to suggest anything that you think would help make the mission better.

WC - Thanks for the info, I will look into the advance scripting once I get really under way. Right now I am doing initial planning and the like, trying to take my time so I don't lose focus or get overwhelmed. I have made some fiddle missions in ME before, but nothing crazy, or for MP.

Tonight I had the pleasure of meeting a 12 year old flying DCS in a Huey. He had some issues getting the engine started after due to the 1.2.6 update. I have the Huey, never flew it - so I printed out the appropriate manual pages and we went through it together and got him in the air. I proceeded to get back in the A-10 and setup as FAC with WP rockets, TGP, Smoke pod (used at low levels so he could see me before I marked with WP), ECM (always have it). We didn't get to do much - it was dragon's training, targets dead and it didn't respawn as it should. I started my own server on my rig and we got oriented again, but then he had to go. Oh well, there's always tomorrow. In regards to that, thanks for the info on IR/NVG marking. I was going to suggest that me and him try that next! Good to see a young kid on DCS though, he was quite competent with the Huey.

I've been loving the A-10 and can do nearly everything on it well, not A++ excellent but good enough! Once my HOTAS Warthog arrives and I setup my rudder pedals - I will venture to other aircraft and the Huey does look to be very enjoyable.

Thanks all for the welcome, hope to see you up in the virtual skies!

EDIT:
WC - I can run the missions on the PC I fly on. Not ideal I know, but it can handle it. Otherwise, I do have an old PC I can setup to do the task, which I am considering.

Last edited by Wesley; 09/25/13 02:27 AM. Reason: Added a bit.

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.