Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3838510 - 09/18/13 02:16 AM Question for any police  
TankHunter Offline
Misanthropic Peon
TankHunter  Offline
Misanthropic Peon

I know this place has a bunch of LE, so I figure to ask here.

A friend of my family recently lost her daughter in a hit and run. I haven't heard anything about this "person" being caught and assume that it hasn't been put into a cell yet. I am wondering what the odds are of the driver being apprehended and tossed into a deep dark place for what he/she did? My assumption at this point is that the odds are rather low.

She was a pedestrian and as far as I'm aware this happened in an urban center in Ireland.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by TankHunter; 09/18/13 02:16 AM.

l'Audace, toujours l'audace

I don’t have pet peeves; I have major, psychotic hatreds. - George Carlin

Even if you have a crown and sit at a throne
In the end you will have nothing
Even if you are destined for great riches
In the end you will return to the dust
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3838519 - 09/18/13 02:43 AM Re: Question for any police [Re: TankHunter]  
RossUK Online cowboy
RossUK  Online Cowboy

Eastbourne, UK
Sorry for your friends loss.

I am in UK but our procedures in LE are similar to over there; it depends on a few things what happens next - do you know if there are any witnesses who can give descriptions of the car/driver? If not there is still plenty of enquiries that can assist in catching the driver.

1. Firstly CCTV is very helpful, it does not even need to be near where the accident occurred as nowadays the camera could be equipped with a system which records every car's number plate and stores it. This can be gone through by the investigating officers to narrow down the cars in the area at the approximate time of the accident. Most cars have up to date record of ownership on them.

2. House to house enquiries. Can be useful if someone saw/heard something that may be innocuous in itself but could assist with the bigger picture. Police may also set up a checkpoint at the scene of the accident and stop everyone driving through at the time of when the accident occurred (this can be useful if the driver was a regular commuter for instance). The drivers stopped will be asked several questions and these cross-checked against various things, the next point being one of them).

3. Paint transference. From the clothing of the daughter maybe paint (or glass fragments). This paint/glass is usually identifiable as used by the car manufacturer. Another way of narrowing down the make or even model of car.

4. Guilt. Most of these incidents are perpetrated by normal people, not hardened criminals and though they fled the scene initially, they may watch the news or whatever; hear about the death and become too guilt stricken and hand themselves in. Happens more than people would think; especially if they have told friends family who can also "grass" on them.

5. The car. It is actually quite difficult to get rid of a car easily; scrap yards keep records nowadays so if point 3 was used to trace the make/model of car the investigating officer could trawl yards to see if a car had been scrapped. Also, if it was dumped and set alight, most cars have VIN numbers which are etched to chassis in several places and can be linked to the owner.

In summary, there are several lines of enquiry the Police can and will investigate; forensics is a big thing as is the CCTV but there are probably other things that are or will be done so don't lose faith yet. I am not a traffic officer so I am sure there are lines of enquiry that I may have missed but I think the success rate in tracing the offenders in these sort of incidents is quite high from reading somewhere.

I hope this helps somewhat and hope the driver is traced; having young kids myself I am constantly worried as you cannot be looking after them all the time.

Ross

Last edited by RossUK; 09/18/13 02:44 AM.
#3838989 - 09/19/13 01:25 AM Re: Question for any police [Re: TankHunter]  
TankHunter Offline
Misanthropic Peon
TankHunter  Offline
Misanthropic Peon

Thanks for the reply. As far as I'm aware there was no news reports on it, and I don't know if this happened in a commercial area or a residential area. The family has been shaken by it and I haven't gotten an opportunity to talk to them. She was 26 and was days from returning from Ireland after completing her studies there.

l'Audace, toujours l'audace

I don’t have pet peeves; I have major, psychotic hatreds. - George Carlin

Even if you have a crown and sit at a throne
In the end you will have nothing
Even if you are destined for great riches
In the end you will return to the dust
#3839082 - 09/19/13 09:21 AM Re: Question for any police [Re: TankHunter]  
VF9_Longbow Offline
Hotshot
VF9_Longbow  Offline
Hotshot

Tokyo, Japan
paint transfer as mentioned above, and the family or the police should be calling all autobody repair shops asking for details about repairs to the front end of any vehicles recently.

gruesome but depending on the kind of trauma on the victim's body they may be able to determine the make of the vehicle i.e. the height of the bumper or hood as well as shape of the front end. this could assist greatly if campaigning at many autobody repair centers as it is highly likely they'll find a vehicle that received suspicious front end repairs that also matches the trauma data of the victim.

hope the driver turns themself in or at worst the police find the culprit.

#3839096 - 09/19/13 10:46 AM Re: Question for any police [Re: TankHunter]  
Comrade_Hedgehog Offline
Comrade_Hedgehog  Offline

The Sticks, England.
Hmm, just tried Googling this, can't find any news, don't know if that is a good thing or bad....

Hope they catch the bugger.
Afraid to say they'll probably get no more than 5 ish years. frown

Its not the bullet with your name on it you have to worry about.
But the one addressed:
"To Whom It May Concern"
#3839121 - 09/19/13 12:09 PM Re: Question for any police [Re: TankHunter]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Re: CCTV, even if the cameras don't have number plate recognition, as long as the video recording is of good enough quality it can be run through an ANPR system at a later date, that was one of the services I could offer when I was working with those systems.
Also, you can request excerpts from any video recording under the freedom of information and data protection acts but it will cost you about £10 - not sure if this applies to Ireland but it does in the UK.

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.