Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#3762048 - 04/03/13 06:45 PM Re: Thrustmaster Warthog Extension DIYr [Re: recoilfx]  
roads Offline
roads  Offline

Nice, This makes me want to go to Obi and get the stuff but I cant make the Joystick ghettostyle, I cant.

The Base what dimension does the tube have? Do you think its possible to insert an S Tube to bring the stick more between the legs? This is my next problem to find something U-shaped to achieve this.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3762138 - 04/03/13 08:31 PM Re: Thrustmaster Warthog Extension DIYr [Re: recoilfx]  
tietze Offline
tietze  Offline

Haha, you might have a sense of aesthetics that I lack ;-)

The base PP plastic tubing is about 110mm, so the ends end up being around 120mm in diameter.

I'm not sure that I follow you on the S and U shaped tubing?

Black Shark: Controller profile & setup, TrackIR profile, pit.
Casual couch pilot, watching capped.tv... Callsign: JET
#3762249 - 04/03/13 11:34 PM Re: Thrustmaster Warthog Extension DIYr [Re: tietze]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Originally Posted By: tietze
Haha, you might have a sense of aesthetics that I lack ;-)

The base PP plastic tubing is about 110mm, so the ends end up being around 120mm in diameter.

I'm not sure that I follow you on the S and U shaped tubing?

I think he's going for an arrangement more like a typical helicopter's cyclic stick. Instead a straight extension, the upper part curves in closer to your torso (above your legs). The curve allows the extension shaft to remain clear of the seat / cushion.

The problem that potentially introduces, is that the higher that you extend the stick shaft above the base, the more stick movement/throw you have to make to achieve full authority in each axis... unless you change the sensors in the base, or introduce some sort of gearing into the base.

#3785315 - 05/21/13 01:27 PM Re: Thrustmaster Warthog Extension DIYr [Re: recoilfx]  
roads Offline
roads  Offline

OK my engineer has the extension ready to go. Its quite simple, precision milled aluminium. The length is variable, you can order it in any reasonable length (7.5 to 10cm recommended). The price is € 48,50 + shipping so its 6€ in Germany and 10 euro Rest of EU. There is no cable included.

This is where you order via mail:

Werner Albrecht
ALBRECHT
Feinwerkmechanik GmbH & Co.KG
Motorradtechnik
Lochhamer Straße 29a
82152 Martinsried/Planegg
Tel. 089/85 89 65-0
Fax 089/85 89 65-27
info@albrecht-fm.de
www.albrecht-fm.de

Last edited by roads; 05/21/13 01:28 PM.
#3785572 - 05/21/13 07:31 PM Re: Thrustmaster Warthog Extension DIYr [Re: recoilfx]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
Thanks, sent a message.

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
#3786194 - 05/22/13 07:59 PM Re: Thrustmaster Warthog Extension DIYr [Re: recoilfx]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Any pics of the real item? No way at all to change the offset of the stick? Also, per experience, it was a pain fitting the cable in a smaller-diameter center-shaft... why not make it wider? Just suggestions.

- Ice
#3787724 - 05/26/13 12:31 AM Re: Thrustmaster Warthog Extension DIYr [Re: recoilfx]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
I got an email back from Werner Albrecht.....total price is 75Euro which suggests the shipping is quite a lot more than stated in the post by 'roads'.

Any clarification on this?

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
#3788791 - 05/28/13 07:00 PM Re: Thrustmaster Warthog Extension DIY [Re: recoilfx]  
luckyluca Offline
luckyluca  Offline

If interested i'm selling most of my flight sim gear and hardware and have a 5" metalnwood warthog extension with ps2 cable on sale
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3788161#Post3788161

#3792428 - 06/05/13 03:52 PM Re: Thrustmaster Warthog Extension DIY [Re: recoilfx]  
roads Offline
roads  Offline

OK sorry for not answering faster but I was in hospital last week. I just got the extension and its nice. The offset can be set and it holds together strongly. Here are the pics of the real item. Shipment is clarified its 17€ EU wide and 6,90€ Germany. I told him it’s a bit cheaper to buy the postage ticket online but he wants to bring the packages to the post office himself. Its near him cant do anything about that, sorry. Some Colors are possible but that’s 10 euro plus, you will have to ask him about that as I dont care about those, its fine as it is.

Paradaz tell him its 65,50€ shipment included EU, must have been a mistake he did not check the prices, hes no online seller yet but a precision mechanic. Dont expect Paypal any time soon. All I can say he is reliable and you will get the product.

And here is a picture where you can see the offset I have set.

Last edited by roads; 06/05/13 03:58 PM.
#3815998 - 07/30/13 02:53 AM Re: Thrustmaster Warthog Extension DIYr [Re: recoilfx]  
hannibal Offline
hannibal  Offline

Originally Posted By: recoilfx
Sorry, my original sizes (3/4 to 1/2) is wrong. It is actually 1" to 1/2".

However, 1"x3/4" is not too big. If fact, my Warthog Extension Mk III (hehe) is using this size.

Here are some pictures on how I did it.

Materials: 2 Copper 1" to 3/4" reducers 1 Gardena Metal hose repair connector 1" Copper pipe Screws

Can you tell me where did you get your 1" to 3/4" copper reducers from? ones i bought from home depot have a steep angle, which introduces unnecessary play between the reducer and the garena 5/8 connector...

#3828436 - 08/28/13 05:55 PM Re: Thrustmaster Warthog Extension DIYr [Re: recoilfx]  
iHover Offline
iHover  Offline

Berne NY
OK Ive traveled all over tring to find anything that will work to make this dang thing. Ive come up totally empty.
Anyone here want to make some money? I would like a six inch extension and am willing to pay for it I was planning on getting one of the manufactured ones but cant get into the german site and the US guy isn't responding to email.
Name a price and when you could get it to me. PM me here or email me at bgrant@nycap.rr.com I don't care if its super pretty just that it works and will hold up.

#3828539 - 08/28/13 09:28 PM Re: Thrustmaster Warthog Extension DIYr [Re: recoilfx]  
hannibal Offline
hannibal  Offline

i gave up also. im going to make my own cyclic from scratch. i decided to leave my 400$ warthogs untouched

#3828991 - 08/29/13 06:44 PM Re: Thrustmaster Warthog Extension DIYr [Re: iHover]  
Lucky Offline
Old Guy
Lucky  Offline
Old Guy

Upstate N.Y.
Originally Posted By: iHover
OK Ive traveled all over tring to find anything that will work to make this dang thing. Ive come up totally empty.
Anyone here want to make some money? I would like a six inch extension and am willing to pay for it I was planning on getting one of the manufactured ones but cant get into the german site and the US guy isn't responding to email.
Name a price and when you could get it to me. PM me here or email me at bgrant@nycap.rr.com I don't care if its super pretty just that it works and will hold up.

Hey neighbor, you can build one fron a gardena hose connector

http://www.amazon.com/Gardena-39035-8-In...hose+connectors

and 2 1/2" PVC male adaptors and a 1/2" Pvc coupling. It measures about 5.5" long when done. You'll also need a PS2 extension. If you can solder you can build this. Cost less then $20.00. I built one, works perfectly.

Core i9 10900k @ 5.0GHz
Corsair H115i CPU cooler
Asus ROG Maximus XII Formula
Asus ROG Strix RTX 2080 OC 8GB DDR6
32GB Team T-Force Night Hawk DDR4 3200,
Corsair HX850i 850W PSU
TIR5 With Trackclip Pro
Win 10 x64
#3829377 - 08/30/13 02:16 PM Re: Thrustmaster Warthog Extension DIYr [Re: recoilfx]  
hannibal Offline
hannibal  Offline

the gardena hose adapters work perfectly. the problem is that the reducer coupler (from home depot) has a slant that introduces play at the joint of the reducer and warthog threaded base, which creates a problem where moving the stick does not move the threaded base until a certain angle.

much easier to do buy a pre-made one.. saves time and effort, and u can enjoy right away.

in my case, i am going to leave my 400$ warthogs alone...

#3830246 - 09/01/13 03:52 PM Re: Thrustmaster Warthog Extension DIYr [Re: hannibal]  
iHover Offline
iHover  Offline

Berne NY
Originally Posted By: hannibal
the gardena hose adapters work perfectly. the problem is that the reducer coupler (from home depot) has a slant that introduces play at the joint of the reducer and warthog threaded base, which creates a problem where moving the stick does not move the threaded base until a certain angle.

much easier to do buy a pre-made one.. saves time and effort, and u can enjoy right away.

in my case, i am going to leave my 400$ warthogs alone...

I would buy a premade one but no one is making them. Leaving it alone just isn't an option , its a very poor stick as is, way to stiff precision is impossible with it. I would prefer to pay someone out right to make one, I have neither the time or skill for a DIY solution.

Last edited by iHover; 09/01/13 03:54 PM.
#3830440 - 09/01/13 11:53 PM Re: Thrustmaster Warthog Extension DIYr [Re: recoilfx]  
hannibal Offline
hannibal  Offline

guys from new zealand make them. "if" i were to pursue extending my hog controllers, i wouyld buy it from them... i only see 2 kinds being sold

#3837538 - 09/16/13 11:28 AM Re: Thrustmaster Warthog Extension DIY [Re: recoilfx]  
Rivet Offline
Rivet  Offline

I had been wanting to build a joystick extension for quite a while but never seemed to quite get round to it. Part of that was deciding on the method and also sourcing the right parts i.e. the hose connector for one thing (I never thought to look on Amazon.com assuming that they wouldn't deliver to the UK like so many other companies, but on this item they do).

The basic idea came from recoilfx's solutions - - thank you - - but with a few differences to suit my hardware and limited workshop. My controller is a TM Cougar with Ian Johnston's U2 NXT mod. This left me with the original gimbals shaft spare. I thought it would be good to try to incorporate it into the extension.

Materials:
Beech:
For the wooden bits
Copper ferrules : Made from 1x 1" 90 degree pipe bend. That was just what I had to hand. Anything will do as long as it's around 1".
Original Cougar gimbals shaft:
Steel tubing: This came from an old busted garden swing seat and is approx 1.25" external diameter.
The Gardena 39035 5/8-Inch Metal Garden Hose Connector:
A bit of scrap aluminium:
A PS2 extension lead:
Two part epoxy adhesive:
Some time and patience.

Having got all the bits and pieces together including a PS2 extension cable I set to work.
Rather than scour the local plumbing merchants and DIY outlets for suitable copper pipe to fit inside the swing seat tube I decided to utilize my wood lathe and make something to fit exactly. Turning the wooden bush and drilling the hole for the old gimbals shaft went without a hitch.

The old gimbals shaft however, has two "lugs" on it so I was left with two options. First I could grind off the lugs so the shaft would fit the wooden bush, or I could leave them intact and try to cut a slot in the wooden bush. I went with cutting the slot as this would facilitate making the handle adjustable later on.

Next, the copper pipe joint was cut to give me two ferrules. Fine, but they were too small to fit over the turned wooden bush. My solution was to split them and open them up enough to slide over the wooden bush. They'll be epoxied in place anyway.

This pic shows all the components used except the wiring. The first four components from the left go to make up the part of the extension the handle locates into. A small hole in the white tubing was drilled to take a small self tapping screw (shortened to suit) to bear on the copper ferrule to lock the handle at the desired angle. The old gimbals shaft is eventually glued into the wooden bush with two part epoxy.

The other end of the extension, the bit that fits into the Cougar's base and U2 NXT gimbals shaft was made as follows:
Again, another wooden bush was turned and drilled, but this time with a lip on it to match the outside diameter of the tubing. The bush had to be done in two parts this time as the hose connector had to be "captive". These two parts I finally glued together with ordinary PVA. Some careful use of a small chisel cut the profile in the wood to match (as near as I could) the cnc'd profile of IJ's gimbals shaft. It ended up a nice tight fit even if it doesn't look too pretty.

The problem with wood is that it isn't quite as hard as metal and repeated assembly and disassembly could very quickly wear the wood away. My solution to this was to make a small fishplate from some scrap aluminium and fix that to the bottom of the bush. This assembly will be fixed in place in the tube with epoxy.

The following three pics show the top and bottom assemblies test fitted together and also how the final assembly will look.

All that's left to do now is the wiring and final assembly.

The ends of the PS2 cable had to be carefully trimmed circular to fit into the locations in the shaft. I did this with a very sharp wood chisel with the connectors held in a vice (be careful not to over tighten and distort or break the connector). Once trimmed to fit there is not a lot of material left on the connectors. Carefully does it is the key here.

A point to note is that the original male connector in the Cougar's (and probably Warthog's ) handle has a plastic locating tab to fit in the female connector in the base. This tab is positioned slightly differently to the PS 2 tab and socket. I overcame this by fitting a fine grinding bit into a Dremel type tool and elongating the slot in the female PS2 socket. It worked a treat and I didn't have to break off the tab on the original Cougar connector.

The cable was then cut to length and the wire ends prepared for soldering. Don't forget the shrink tubing.

All wires soldered and the unit is ready for testing. I coiled up the small amount of excess cable into the extension tube and connected it to the Cougar's base. Nothing is glued permanently at this stage as it all may have to come apart again if it doesn't work. I needn't have worried but it's best to be safe. The stick with extension calibrated perfectly using the Cougar HOTAS CCP. It WORKS - YAY!!! yeah

That done successfully, The final outer bit of shrink tube was applied. You can see the small self tapping screw fitted to the tube to the right of the pic. This bears onto the copper ferrule shown protruding and facilitates handle adjustment.

After the test the original gimbals shaft was glued into the wooden holder using epoxy, and after coiling the excess cabling into the tube, the bush holding the hose connector was glued into the other end of the tube and the whole lot left over night to cure.

Here's a pretty poor pic of the almost finished extension in situ in a hastily built pedestal made from MDF. I don't have a proper cockpit yet (or the brownie points needed with my good lady to build one which is more to the point hahaha ) so my setup is a bit of a mess at the moment and not ideal, but it does work. I just have to tart up the extension tube so it looks good and black. A black joystick on a white shaft doesn't look that great. Still, that's just my opinion.

Oh, I couldn't let it go like that so here's the finished article.

Ah that's better. A bit of black carbon fibre vinyl wrap finishes it off nicely. I will tidy up the disgraceful wiring and strive for a better overall layout ..................... honest biggrin .

No original Joystick parts were harmed or altered in any way during the making of this extension. hahaha

#3838426 - 09/17/13 10:00 PM Re: Thrustmaster Warthog Extension DIY [Re: recoilfx]  
hannibal Offline
hannibal  Offline

looking good! i am impressed...

#3838869 - 09/18/13 08:32 PM Re: Thrustmaster Warthog Extension DIY [Re: recoilfx]  
Rivet Offline
Rivet  Offline

Thanks hannibal. Now comes the difficult bit. Persuading the wife to let me build a pit eek

#3838889 - 09/18/13 09:08 PM Re: Thrustmaster Warthog Extension DIY [Re: recoilfx]  
hannibal Offline
hannibal  Offline

if you have room for it, go for it! as for me, my cyclic project got set back 2-3 weeks. my spring system isnt centering exactly. frown

im dying to order the ebay car seats and actually sit on something.
owe well
i have time, oculus is a ways, away..

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.