Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#3834294 - 09/09/13 07:21 PM Re: Rome 2 reviews [Re: kilosierra]  
Forward Observer Online content
Forward Observer  Online Content

Central Arkansas,US of A
Originally Posted By: kilosierra
-------
I only own Rome I out of the TW series and am no way a Hardcore-Player, so possibly that because I`m not so critical like others. I don`t like the new UI though, not very user-friendly IMO and in parts confusing. Btw, there isn`t a manual pdf, right? This is bad IMO, I like to print manuals and read them.

--------

Overall, I`m quite happy with it, could be better and should have waited for a sale, but hey, alone this cinematic camera position is great.

Yes, there is a PDF manual. It's about 25 pages long, but if one takes out the Index, installation instruction, blank pages for notes, credits, and warranty, there is only about 15 to 17 pages of actual game play instruction including 2 pages listing the controls.

Go into your Steam library and right click on the Rome II listing. You will see a drop down listing including the PDF file for the manual.

Cheers

P.S. I suck at Rome 2 naval battles also. Just haven't gotten the hang of it yet.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3834342 - 09/09/13 08:48 PM Re: Rome 2 reviews [Re: Forward Observer]  
kilosierra Offline
kilosierra  Offline

The very north of Germany
Great,

THX for that hint, I only searched the local files for the manual, would never have looked for it in the steam library!

btw, agree with your view about that "review" from Mr. Chick.

Rome is my favorite RTS game genre, I`m fascinated with the Roman Empire since I was a teen 35 years ago.

Last edited by kilosierra; 09/09/13 08:56 PM.

i7 6700k @ 4,5 GHz
GTX1070
Asus Z170 Pro Gamer
16 GB RAM
500 GB Crucial CT500MX200 SSD
Toshiba DT01ACA300 HDD
Samsung SyncMaster BX2450 LED
W10 64
#3834381 - 09/09/13 09:16 PM Re: Rome 2 reviews [Re: Airdrop01]  

Central Arkansas,US of A
Originally Posted By: Airdrop01
First generation i7 is what I have, I believe. Do you think that could be causing the literal crash?

I really have no clue other than the fact that I have seen several people post that they were having issues with a fairly decent current gen GPU, but a 1st gen Intel CPU. I think Mace also mentioned that he had the same processor and is having issues.

One just never knows with PC hardware since there are simply so many configurations out there. If you're an avid gamer you just get the best you can afford and take your chances.

This is probably the reason that consoles are so popular. One simply trades off complexity, depth of play, and the best graphics possible for uniform reliability.

Cheers

#3834477 - 09/09/13 11:54 PM Re: Rome 2 reviews [Re: Mace71]  
VMIalpha454 Offline
VMIalpha454  Offline

Chattanooga, Tn
Ok, so my earlier review was a little hasty. Initially I had no real complaints with this game but yesterday changed my mind. Battles are much too fast, units break entirely too quickly, and units are often decimated with ridiculous speed. I do not think I have ever seen a unit in an exhausted state even though they are constantly sprinting around. Legionaries should fight as a unit but they immediately lose their formations which compromises their combat ability. Any reinforcements you send then decimate your own men by pelting them in the back with pilis. Sometimes, far too often, your forces just melt away before you really have a chance to do much. It is frustrating to see a 20 unit force flee the field after 6 minutes total fighting time and then to see their actual losses are slight. I have seen my units rout even though they still have most of their men. Gone, it seems, are the days of having your best army weather the attacks of two 20 unit armies because of your tactics and their mettle. You may as well cancel construction of your barracks and build a ballet studio instead because your Legionaries are just about as useful as a cohort of ballerinas. It seems the skirmisher is the premier unit type to have, as they can effectively decimate just about any unit. They even hold their own with specifically melee units. Especially if they are slingers being run by the AI. You may as well just auto resolve all the naval battles because despite how visually spectacular they are it isn't all that much fun watching all your ships sink. At first I chalked that up to my own ignorance of the mechanics of the naval battles, but now that I have played more I am starting to think that something is flawed with the system. Some provinces just spend eternity in revolts because of squalor, which there are only a handful of remedies for and which are not always available. The result is that your limited number of armies are perpetually tied to your home provinces rather than out conquering the world. If you leave the only means of maintaining public order is removed. The turns are far too long. It should not take me longer than a year to sail to Greece from Italy, and it should not take me more than a year to march from the base of Italy to the top. Rather, it should take something like a few days to travel from Italy to Greece and approximately 6 weeks to travel from the base of the boot to the top (assuming 20 miles per day with one day of rest per week. Approx 736 miles.) It would be nice to have seasonal turns, but barring that possibility, movement should be adjusted so that you can actually do all that could be done in a year's time. The ability for armies to become transport fleets is great, but flawed. I think it is more a pathfinding issue but I have had far too many instances where I clicked an ocean space, with a beach nearby, and my army wastes a full year marching around the map to some other point to get into the water. So much for my well timed attack or reinforcement. The year long turns also render the special agents and characters useless because they don't live long enough to warrant any effort to groom them. It has been my experience that many turns consisted of building about two buildings, and then clicking end turn. Then you wait for 5-10 minutes for the computer to do it's turn. Then you repeat. Maybe with a 5 minute battle mixed in somewhere. Against rebels. Again. Not too big a deal if you do that a lot with seasonal turns, but with year long turns the issue presents itself. This game has loads of potential, but it's current flaws leave me feeling like I have wasted a lot of time doing nothing when I get done playing it. Here's hoping that CA will listen to the fans of this series and remedy these issues.

Last edited by VMIalpha454; 09/10/13 12:35 AM.

"I have only two men out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold."
1stLt. Clifton B. Cates, USMC
in Belleau Wood, 19 July 1918
#3834554 - 09/10/13 03:13 AM Re: Rome 2 reviews [Re: Mace71]  
saghen Online cool
saghen  Online Cool

USA
Anybody check out the angry gamer's review of RTW2? lol

Interesting comments throughout. Hilarious starting at 4:45. lol Benny Hill.

#3834580 - 09/10/13 04:42 AM Re: Rome 2 reviews [Re: Mace71]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
Good review, once you get past the funny stuff and boombastic delivery he makes good points, another non-fluffy review from someone who cares about the series and hopes they fix it, which in my book is better than the usual reviewers who just give it 80% so as not to risk their SEGA advertising checks or their future press review copies...

Even if people have a personal issue with these specific reviewers and their style, CA/SEGA needs to understand this is sub par and they need to fix it and not just waste the next year working on lame DLC that no one will buy due to the problems with the core game until the game and all DLC show up on Steam sales, the fixing won't happen unless some honest (if admittedly overdramatic) reviewers take them to task for it.

i7-7700k@4.5ghz, GTX1080Ti,BenQ XL2420G-g-sync,Oculus Rift
#3834611 - 09/10/13 07:47 AM Re: Rome 2 reviews [Re: Mace71]  

Central Arkansas,US of A
While I don't think Joe was unfair in his review and he pretty much gave it the same score I would have, it was hard for me to watch his video all the way through because of all the ranting and screaming.

If he wants people to take him seriously he needs to cut back on the caffeine and chill out a bit. Otherwise his comments were pretty much on the mark.

I'm up to turn 150 now with almost 60 hours of play and the only battle glitch I have encountered was one of the enemy landing ships getting stuck moving on the beach in a circle around another ship that had already landed.

I had to quit the battle and take a loss because of it since I couldn't defeat that one unit stuck in their ship plowing around in the sand.

It sure seems like some of this stuff should have shown up in play testing somewhere along the line before release.

Cheers

#3834626 - 09/10/13 08:39 AM Re: Rome 2 reviews [Re: Mace71]  
Santhonax Offline
Santhonax  Offline

Temporarily relocated to Brita...
I've got about 50 hours of playtime in now, and pretty much stick by my earlier review. Now that I've downloaded the slower units and beefier morale mod, battles are much more akin to previous TW titles, though they still need some work to get the morale spot-on (you also see the impact of fatigue much more readily). Using one of the first gen i7s, I've had about 4-5 crashes so far, but as a previous poster mentioned, I have about the same number of crashes with Shogun as well... CA definitely needs to work on helping everyone else that can barely play the game though.

I have yet to run into any of these "battlefield flags" in anything except a sally by the defender (so 2-3 battles out of my entire campaign so far, on turn 124, and I usually fight 2-3 battles a turn), and having this cited by some of the more vociferous crowd highlights the lack of actual playtime they've spent with the game. More importantly, I've yet to see the AI "bypass" my army to hit the flags until they start to lose the battle rather horribly, at which point they send a few units out in an attempt to steal victory from defeat. All in all I don't find them to be any more cheesy than the multiplayer flags you could take in Shogun II, and again, I've only seen them 2-3 times in 50 hours...

The "dumbed down" UI isn't really dumbed down that I can tell, rather it's simply hidden. Once you get into the menus the food/provincial happiness/unit statistics/cultural impacts/etc. are still there.

The only real "simplification" that I've seen is the lack of formational commands for units, the inability of legionaries to throw pilums without attacking, and the inability of phalanxes to maintain their formations if attacking. Then again, having played every TW since the first Shogun, I really consider anything past the first Medieval Total War to be pretty dumbed down. Unit speed and morale have been constant headaches since Rome I and Medieval II, and I have always been forced to grab up the first mod I can to address it. Overall I'd say that the campaign is better this time around (even with the long turns, which I'm okay with since it's mapping out a ton of factions), whereas the tactical battles are worse. Again though, nothing that won't be modded or patched out in time.

As before: give it some time to be patched and modded. CA should have waited another 4-6 months before releasing, but it isn't a "CoD lite" game, and I would argue that it could prove to be a great game in 6 months to a year. Save your money until then.

Ebola for you!
#3834667 - 09/10/13 11:08 AM Re: Rome 2 reviews [Re: Forward Observer]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
Originally Posted By: Forward Observer
While I don't think Joe was unfair in his review and he pretty much gave it the same score I would have, it was hard for me to watch his video all the way through because of all the ranting and screaming.

If he wants people to take him seriously he needs to cut back on the caffeine and chill out a bit. Otherwise his comments were pretty much on the mark.

I'm up to turn 150 now with almost 60 hours of play and the only battle glitch I have encountered was one of the enemy landing ships getting stuck moving on the beach in a circle around another ship that had already landed.

I had to quit the battle and take a loss because of it since I couldn't defeat that one unit stuck in their ship plowing around in the sand.

It sure seems like some of this stuff should have shown up in play testing somewhere along the line before release.

Cheers

Well, uhm, he's kinda called 'Angry' Joe so his name kinda gives it away smile

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle
#3834816 - 09/10/13 04:11 PM Re: Rome 2 reviews [Re: Mace71]  

Central Arkansas,US of A
Yeah Mace, I'm familiar with his reviews, but they are hard to watch and listen to because of the over the top style and screaming.

I certainly don't have virgin ears and a well placed F-bomb or two is fine for emphasis, but he tends to over do it when he doesn't like something. It tends to trivialize what he really has to say.

Still, at least he seems to be sincere and I continue to be amazed that so many reviewers initially gave this game scores in the 9's and 10's range. Did they really play the game or simply mail in their reviews in return for advertising graft?

Cheers

#3834831 - 09/10/13 04:44 PM Re: Rome 2 reviews [Re: Mace71]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
Yeah I have the same problem watching Angry Joe reviews I usually like his points but the delivery sometimes gets in the way of it, maybe a generational thing (I'm getting old).

Besides some of the gameplay design and AI issues (which will hopefully be patched), I'm glad to hear some of you farther along who can play without technical issues still seem to be enjoying it ok overall even after more hours.

I'm still only 6hrs into it and the slowdown mod helped, I will look for that morale mod too, now if we just had a mod for the way the troops break formation on contact that would make a big difference for me.

i7-7700k@4.5ghz, GTX1080Ti,BenQ XL2420G-g-sync,Oculus Rift
#3835105 - 09/11/13 01:02 AM Re: Rome 2 reviews [Re: Mace71]  
Lipfert Offline
Lipfert  Offline

Ayr, Ontario
Hola,

Playing well on my system, i7-3930K 16GBs RAM Dual 680s with SSD for OS and RAID 0 Velociraptors. Things do need tweaking, but overall I am really happy with the purchase.

Will keep an eye on Mods and expect this to get better as they are released.

Last edited by Lipfert; 09/11/13 01:08 AM. Reason: Poor Grammar

JG1 Lipfert - Jagdgeschwader 1 "Fritz Schmenkel" "Oesau" "Richthofen"
#3835323 - 09/11/13 12:31 PM Re: Rome 2 reviews [Re: Mace71]  
Duchess Offline
(Formerly Joe Stallin')
Duchess  Offline
(Formerly Joe Stallin')

Ontariariooo
Still happy with my purchase,

I wonder if the units breaking so quickly is related to the command ability of the general or some other factors? Although if you look at many battles in history, a routing army doesn't necessarily mean they're getting mashed to a pulp. If there's somewhere to run, they'll run wink

TBH I haven't really seen it as a problem, as I'm used to playing Empire where my thin red line of redcoats will take abuse to the last man without turning away. That I feel is just as wonky.

#3836455 - 09/13/13 04:39 PM Re: Rome 2 reviews [Re: Mace71]  

Central Arkansas,US of A
The second patch was released in beta earlier this week for testing and may be release for automatic application shortly--maybe today. One can still apply it manually through Steam if they want to try it out.

Here's a link to the list of fixes, which seems quite extensive:

Patch 2

Cheers

#3836498 - 09/13/13 05:49 PM Re: Rome 2 reviews [Re: Mace71]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
Just re-downloaded EB for Rome 1 (the only decent Rome TW game) and will have to make do with that for my Rome fix.

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle
#3836817 - 09/14/13 01:48 PM Re: Rome 2 reviews [Re: Mace71]  
Airdrop01 Offline
Chief Pheasant Controller
Airdrop01  Offline
Chief Pheasant Controller
Hotshot

Kansas, USA
Unbelievable. Mine still shuts down / reboots entire system after winning second prologue battle in valley where Samnites are counter attacking. Right on world map after battle.

"For I know the plans that I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Matthew 5:11

Indeed we call blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of the perseverance of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, because “the Lord is compassionate and merciful. James 5:11
#3836835 - 09/14/13 02:55 PM Re: Rome 2 reviews [Re: Mace71]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
I think CA went to the pub every day and left some monkey's to make the game.

#3842970 - 09/28/13 03:15 PM Re: Rome 2 reviews [Re: Mace71]  

Central Arkansas,US of A
I thought I would link this review. It's a very intelligent and well written. The guy makes the point that he thinks that CA knew the game wasn't ready, but was forced to meet the release date by Sega:

He gave the game a 4 out of 10. Also linked is their view of a early pre-release review demo, which is pretty telling and was a hint of what was coming.

Review:
http://www.incgamers.com/2013/09/total-war-rome-2-review

Pre-release demo for reviewers:
http://www.incgamers.com/2013/08/total-war-rome-ii-preview

This is the first ever TW game to actually get more than one negative review (as compiled by Metacritic)
NapoleonTW actually got one, which is kind of amazing since it was much better than its predecessor--Empire.

Out of 55 "professional" reviews Rome 2 now has 5 negative (below 5 out of 10) and 7 mixed (5 to 6 out of 10).

Personally, the game is running well for me--and at 250 plus hours so far, I am still getting entertainment out of it. Consequently, I would have given it at least a 6. Currently as patched--maybe a 7 and more patching could raise it to an 8. Only time will tell.

I just don't tend to be that critical of game mechanics (I might if I was a reviewer) and have the patience to work around glitches until they are fixed.

I also have to admit that I am a total graphics whore and a fan of the series.

Oddly, I hardly ever played the first Rome game since I was not a big fan of period, but this time around, I sort of getting in to it.

Salutaria!

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.