Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3833698 - 09/08/13 11:59 AM Your opinion: Is ArmA 3 "ready" for Sept 12th release?  
Punisher5555 Offline
Punisher5555  Offline

Cleveland, Ohio
I don't think it is ready. If they do release it then it will be hit hard by the reviewers.

Is ArmA 3 ready
single choice
Release it already !!!
9%, 4 Votes
Yes, but still needs work.
62%, 28 Votes
No way.
29%, 13 Votes
Total Votes: 45
Voting on this poll ends: 09/13/13 11:58 AM

3 Samsung 27" LED Monitors powered by a Zotac 4GB 680GTX. Set at PCI Gen3. 5760 x 1080 resolution.
MSI z68a-gd80 (g3) motherboard
Ivy Bridge 3770k 3.5Ghz
32GB RAM (all .pbo's loaded into a 12GB RamDisk)
TrackIR4
zboard merc keyboard
Saitek X-52 stick/throttle/pedals
Logitech MOMO racing wheel/pedals
Razer Deathadder 3500 black mouse
Sony receiver for 5.1 surround sound. 5 speakers and powered sub-woofer.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3833700 - 09/08/13 12:02 PM Re: Your opinion: Is ArmA 3 "ready" for Sept 12th release? [Re: Punisher5555]  
Apocalypse31 Offline
Apocalypse31  Offline

Just two comments

1 - I think BIS will be dedicated to continous support for the game, bug fixes, etc

2 - Someone made a great point in another post; BIS doesnt have to add any content to the game, they just need to provide the systems. Modders will provide the crucial content anyway.

Last edited by Apocalypse31; 09/08/13 12:03 PM.

Rangers Lead the Way
#3833707 - 09/08/13 12:30 PM Re: Your opinion: Is ArmA 3 "ready" for Sept 12th release? [Re: Punisher5555]  
Sethos88 Offline
Sethos88  Offline

Denmark
- No campaigns whatsoever
- Built-in scenarios, both SP and MP are very lacklustre
- No 'heavy-hitter' mods or missions to show off the game's potential properly

If you go into this without knowing much about the game, especially for a reviewer there's very little to do. There's tons of potential and it has a great base for fantastic mods and scenarios that will propel the game to greatness. However, for people that don't want to sift through a metric ton of rubbish content on workshop which is going to happen and is happening now because it's novelty, the bulk of their experience is going to be dabbling around in the editor having to create your own fun ...

For the 'majority public' that wants a meaty experience, it's not ready.

That's just my opinion.

#3833712 - 09/08/13 01:04 PM Re: Your opinion: Is ArmA 3 "ready" for Sept 12th release? [Re: Punisher5555]  
Taosenai Offline
Arma 3 Stuff Maker
Taosenai  Offline
Arma 3 Stuff Maker

U.S.A.
Release it already. Once they get over the release date -- a fairly arbitrary thing in this age of endless beta and streaming distribution -- they can start breaking stuff again, rather than just making boring stability-oriented fixes. I'm having fun.

Last edited by Taosenai; 09/08/13 01:09 PM.

Taosenai, TMR Modular Realism Developer
"It is necessary to develop a strategy that utilizes all the physical conditions and elements that are directly at hand. The best strategy relies upon an unlimited set of responses."
-- Ueshiba Morihei
#3833715 - 09/08/13 01:20 PM Re: Your opinion: Is ArmA 3 "ready" for Sept 12th release? [Re: Punisher5555]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
Doesn't matter. It will sell millions because the kids will think it's DayZ or that DayZ will be coming out for it.

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle
#3833717 - 09/08/13 01:28 PM Re: Your opinion: Is ArmA 3 "ready" for Sept 12th release? [Re: Punisher5555]  
HogDriver Offline
Retired Flight Simmer
HogDriver  Offline
Retired Flight Simmer

Easy answer. We already know it isn't ready for release because the campaign is coming in pieces later on.

The way I see it is the release is basically the start of the "proper beta".

What is going to be in the release version that isn't already in the Dev beta we have now?

I refuse to buy a flight sim that I have no interest in playing, on the off chance that MAYBE someday they'll make the one I really want to play.

#3833722 - 09/08/13 01:43 PM Re: Your opinion: Is ArmA 3 "ready" for Sept 12th release? [Re: HogDriver]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
Originally Posted By: HogDriver
What is going to be in the release version that isn't already in the Dev beta we have now?

Nothing, I think we have it all now.

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle
#3833735 - 09/08/13 02:09 PM Re: Your opinion: Is ArmA 3 "ready" for Sept 12th release? [Re: Sethos88]  
Alexi_Alx_Anova Offline
Alexi_Alx_Anova  Offline

Frome/Bath UK
Originally Posted By: Sethos88
- No campaigns whatsoever

Correct, but it is promised. The main reason they are delaying it is because of all the AI tweaks they are doing. Designing something as complex as the campaign would end up being a never ending revision task. So their decision was to wait until the AI is sufficiently stable as to make the campaign design effective and efficient. This then begs the question, why wasn't AI sorted out earlier? They have admitted that as a mistake.

- Built-in scenarios, both SP and MP are very lacklustre

We've only seen a few of the scenarios so far. The rest are for final release. I can't see how you can critique something you've not actually seen/experienced yet.

- No 'heavy-hitter' mods or missions to show off the game's potential properly

Who releases major mods/missions when the game is in a state of flux? So far there are plenty of good mods and missions and it's known that many of the "heavy hitters" are already working on updating their Arma2 mods/missions.

If you go into this without knowing much about the game, especially for a reviewer there's very little to do.

So far I've spent many hours playing the SP scenarios released on Steamworks. It's been a seamless process and also been fun to give direct feedback to the mission designers and see them tweak the missions in response. Much more efficient than having to hunt down relevant forum topics, etc.

There's tons of potential and it has a great base for fantastic mods and scenarios that will propel the game to greatness. However, for people that don't want to sift through a metric ton of rubbish content on workshop which is going to happen and is happening now

How is this different from the metric ton of rubbish you need to sort through from Armaholic? Both Armaholic and Steamworks have rating systems, so knowing what's good or not is just the same. The advantage of Streamworks is it's much easier to get the missions in the first place.

the bulk of their experience is going to be dabbling around in the editor having to create your own fun ...

There is a learning curve, but a few of Jester's tutorial Youtube videos had me making really fun town sweep missions. An editor is part of the selling point for the game. Getting people to use it is a desired outcome for BIS.

#3833736 - 09/08/13 02:12 PM Re: Your opinion: Is ArmA 3 "ready" for Sept 12th release? [Re: HogDriver]  
Alexi_Alx_Anova Offline
Alexi_Alx_Anova  Offline

Frome/Bath UK
Originally Posted By: HogDriver

All the showcase scenarios. Plus bug fixes they get in between now and then (which can be a significant number).

Another thought, I wonder if the graphics card people wait until a game is formally released before they start trying to optimise drivers for them? The latest AMD 13.10 Beta drivers appeared to do wonders for me coming from 13.8 beta1, although I have no metrics to prove it.

#3833745 - 09/08/13 02:26 PM Re: Your opinion: Is ArmA 3 "ready" for Sept 12th release? [Re: Alexi_Alx_Anova]  
Sethos88 Offline
Sethos88  Offline

Denmark
Originally Posted By: Alexi_Alx_Anova
Correct, but it is promised. The main reason they are delaying it is because of all the AI tweaks they are doing. Designing something as complex as the campaign would end up being a never ending revision task. So their decision was to wait until the AI is sufficiently stable as to make the campaign design effective and efficient. This then begs the question, why wasn't AI sorted out earlier? They have admitted that as a mistake.

And you are just defending their decision, I'm not attacking it. I'm stating the obvious truth; no single-player campaign will deduct from any potential score and public image of the game. The majority doesn't care about their tweaking or issues with AI, they care about content.

We've only seen a few of the scenarios so far. The rest are for final release. I can't see how you can critique something you've not actually seen/experienced yet.

Considering that I know BIS and have played all their game on release, they have extremely few scenarios and rely on the community to create them. I'll bet you anything you will see minimal additions.

Who releases major mods/missions when the game is in a state of flux? So far there are plenty of good mods and missions and it's known that many of the "heavy hitters" are already working on updating their Arma2 mods/missions.

I wasn't asking for major mods to be out by now. I'm stating that without all the other content, the only thing the game has is mods and they aren't being properly developed yet either. So you basically have very little content.

So far I've spent many hours playing the SP scenarios released on Steamworks. It's been a seamless process and also been fun to give direct feedback to the mission designers and see them tweak the missions in response. Much more efficient than having to hunt down relevant forum topics, etc.

Yeah and so have I, there's so much straight up dogsh*t on Steamworks - Even the five star rated stuff is something slapped together in 15 minutes and is full of bugs. Me and my friend were trying out a bunch of stuff and were shaking our heads in disbelief over the amount of bugs and lack of effort. This is the kinda stuff an unknowing public have to get into, a series that is already know by the gaming majority as 'buggy and janky' - Their initial dose of content is going to be that rubbish?

How is this different from the metric ton of rubbish you need to sort through from Armaholic? Both Armaholic and Steamworks have rating systems, so knowing what's good or not is just the same. The advantage of Streamworks is it's much easier to get the missions in the first place.

And where did I claim the current system to be any better? They just made it easier to access and publish rubbish. You now also have big guys like JSRS who has said and demanded that none of his content will be released on Steam workshop.

There is a learning curve, but a few of Jester's tutorial Youtube videos had me making really fun town sweep missions. An editor is part of the selling point for the game. Getting people to use it is a desired outcome for BIS.

Yes, a part of. Releasing a content starved game where everything has to be manually acquired or built does not equal a great public reception. Games have been burned for less.

I'm not writing posts based on my views, because I've played the game since Operation Flashpoint and I know exactly what I'm getting into. I actually step back and take a look at the game from the 'other side' of the fence, people that haven't played ArmA games to exhaustion or know they ins and out of the game like you and i.

BIS is trying to get noticed by the bigger public, they are just aren't catering for the core group any longer - They are trying to shed themselves of the "janky / buggy" image they have, they are trying to build a proper retail experience which won't happen if you release without a campaign and rely on rubbish user content to keep afloat. Every single person outside of the community I talk to had no idea why they would release the game without the campaign.

They can't just take the "Oh let the community create" approach from day one if they want to go that route. They need to serve up some meaty content and THEN all the gravy is in the community content.

#3833746 - 09/08/13 02:27 PM Re: Your opinion: Is ArmA 3 "ready" for Sept 12th release? [Re: Punisher5555]  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida
The ArmA series has always been a snadbox, made for what the gamer's can do with it... sure, I believe it's ready. It will be babied and nurtured to perfection as time goes on.

And this post is a prime example about my post on reviewing games that pre-release with Alphas and betas.

#3833750 - 09/08/13 02:36 PM Re: Your opinion: Is ArmA 3 "ready" for Sept 12th release? [Re: Punisher5555]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
For my purposes, multiplayer coop, yes I believe it is ready.

Immediately following tomorrow's Military Monday, I am going to uninstall Arma2/OA to clear room for the full Arma3 install. I plan to prepare 3 or 4 new missions for the Military Monday Kickoff on Sept. 16th.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#3833816 - 09/08/13 06:07 PM Re: Your opinion: Is ArmA 3 "ready" for Sept 12th release? [Re: Punisher5555]  
Fudge93 Offline
Fudge93  Offline

England
I feel in the longer run they should delay the release to help with reviews. No campaign isn't going to help reviewers, and good reviews = more sales.

However I feel mods will be the greatest part of Arma 3 eventually. Maybe a big hitter will come out again.

combtpilot.co.uk
#3833819 - 09/08/13 06:11 PM Re: Your opinion: Is ArmA 3 "ready" for Sept 12th release? [Re: Punisher5555]  
FlashBurn Offline
FlashBurn  Offline

Washington State, USA
LAck of the campaign I really think will ding it up in the press. Personally holding off on buying until that at least shows up. At some point will get...but personally may be down the line somewhat. Tons of other stuff to keep me busy and all. But I do not like the strung out content model here. I want a meal and not little appetizers.

I am sure it is great for coop now. Lucky for AMRA series there are a lot of folks that make missions. Without that....UGH vary bad. Actually sitting a legit PVP multiplayer out of the box mod would be nice. They started that in OA, but felt unfinished. Certainly did not last long....those missions.

#3833823 - 09/08/13 06:17 PM Re: Your opinion: Is ArmA 3 "ready" for Sept 12th release? [Re: FlashBurn]  
Meatsheild Online content
Arma3 guy!
Meatsheild  Online Content
Arma3 guy!

Peoples Republic of Yorkshire
thing is, the press hasnt liked the BIS campaigns anyway as they were all pretty buggy, better to have nothing and say "it WILL be there, just after the release" than putting it in, but having it buggy as hell.

SimHQ Arma3 sessions, weekly semi-serious co-op action for all ages and skills! check the forum sticky for more info!

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3732626/SimHQ_Arma3_Sessions,_who,_wha#Post3732626

All spelling errors are included free of charge and courtesy of a broken spell checker!
#3833833 - 09/08/13 06:41 PM Re: Your opinion: Is ArmA 3 "ready" for Sept 12th release? [Re: Punisher5555]  
FlashBurn Offline
FlashBurn  Offline

Washington State, USA
BIS OFP was liked in the press for the most part. Whoever designed those....what happened! They where great IMO. Arma series ....UGh arma 1 was pretty bad. 2 was better...I actually liked it quite a bit despite bugs. OA was decent. So they CAN do it....OFP! Only thing is that releasing arma 3 as done without campaign....not sure it is good idea. Maybe better to keep that BETA till a campaign IMO. Like I said...I am holding off till then. I hope it is not TO long. may give in. Maybe. But I do not want to feel gipped. A solid single player campaign and good PVP would do it. But right now I fear pretty much COOP. Nothing wrong with coop BUT not in the mood personally this moment.

And I had issues with wonky FPS in the free alpha. Was running crossfired 5870's...it did not seem to like that much. So more time for all those kind of issues to get sorted is good for me!

Last edited by FlashBurn; 09/08/13 06:43 PM.
#3833921 - 09/08/13 10:56 PM Re: Your opinion: Is ArmA 3 "ready" for Sept 12th release? [Re: Punisher5555]  
JoeyJoJo Offline
Wurkin' man
JoeyJoJo  Offline
Wurkin' man
Hotshot

Colorado high-country
Just as with the last 3 in the series, I don't expect it to be up to 'AAA'-title standards on release; but just as with the last 3 BIS will continue to add/improve game content.

I'm sure it will be better at release than the last two

#3833973 - 09/09/13 03:32 AM Re: Your opinion: Is ArmA 3 "ready" for Sept 12th release? [Re: Punisher5555]  
Reschke Offline
Plankowner
Reschke  Offline
Plankowner

Vestavia, AL
With all the pre-release versions that people have bought it isn't going to be dinged anymore than all other games that have massive ideas with limited execution upon release.

Star Citizen Referal Code
STAR-MP6J-VFH7

i7-13700K @ 3.40GHz
32GB RAM
GeForce 3060RTX
MSI MAG Z790 Tomahawk
lots of SSD's and a good old fashioned 1TB HDD
Samsung G9 Odyssey 49"
TrackIR 5 with Track Clip Pro
Windows 11 64bit
Warthog #1397...compliments of SimHQ
#3834247 - 09/09/13 05:56 PM Re: Your opinion: Is ArmA 3 "ready" for Sept 12th release? [Re: Alexi_Alx_Anova]  
_michal Offline
poly pusher
_michal  Offline
poly pusher

Poland
Correct, but it is promised.

A lot of things was promised. Like proper FM for helicopters. Arma3 looks beautiful, what we already have is well done, but it lacks a lot of features and content I'm afraid we won't see.

#3834309 - 09/09/13 07:53 PM Re: Your opinion: Is ArmA 3 "ready" for Sept 12th release? [Re: Punisher5555]  
Sethos88 Offline
Sethos88  Offline

Denmark
Yeah the exclusion of the ToH-type FM was a major bummer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.