Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
#3832368 - 09/05/13 08:16 PM Re: DCS WWII: Europe 1944 Kickstarter [Re: 159th_Viper]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
Originally Posted By: 159th_Viper
Originally Posted By: MaceUK33

Duke Nevada-ukem Forever you mean?

Yeah, you keep telling yourself that yep

Well, when you've been promised it since Feb 2011 it sorta, kinda is...

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle
#3832371 - 09/05/13 08:23 PM Re: DCS WWII: Europe 1944 Kickstarter [Re: SkateZilla]  
Mogster Offline
Hotshot
Mogster  Offline
Hotshot

England
I'm in, for the good of the genre. I do want this to succeed.

I'm surprised by Olegs involvement, after CloD I'm not sure if his presence will be viewed as a plus or a minus. I do wonder how involved he actually is. He obviously has other commitments, maybe more of a thankyou to Luthier? He is one of the few names in the flightsim genre that's recognisable to the general gaming community.

WAS C2D 8500 3.16ghz, 285gtx 1gb, 4gig ram, XP NOW Win7 64, I5 2500K, SSD, 8Gig ram, GTX 570
#3832373 - 09/05/13 08:31 PM Re: DCS WWII: Europe 1944 Kickstarter [Re: SkateZilla]  
FearlessFrog Offline
FearlessFrog  Offline

> I'm in, for the good of the genre. I do want this to succeed.

Yeah, the weird thing about the hobby is that in forums you get the impression that some people actually do not want something like this to succeed, like some sort of Pyrrhic victory. They then move on to claiming the genre is dead, with a sort of faux angst.

I can get apathy or even understand just ignoring it (fine, I don't follow fly fishing), but sometimes these things seem to inspire all sorts of 'I am upset' over-spill that turns grown men into vindictive kids. It's a recurring theme that's gone on for 20 odd years in the flight sim community (even BBS's used to have the 'angry anonymous'). It happens in a lot of hobbies I guess. (shrug)

smile

#3832375 - 09/05/13 08:33 PM Re: DCS WWII: Europe 1944 Kickstarter [Re: SkateZilla]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
I find very comical the set of flyable aircraft chosen by these guys and their historical Inaccuracy (and the lack of research by these guys)!
Lets see, the map of this DCS WWII: Europe 1944 will be Normandy which means that we're talking about D-Day and probably the preceding months (Allied gaining Air Superiority over Northern France, namely Normandy), right? Than WHY OF HELL ON EARTH that the flyable Luftwaffe aircraft (and variants) and the Focke-Wulf FW190D-9 and the Messerschmitt Bf-109K-4 being that the production for both aircraft only stated on August 1944 (well after the D-Day invasion) and only entered in service after this date?!

Things like this and the lack of dynamic campaigns means NO THANKS for me!

#3832376 - 09/05/13 08:33 PM Re: DCS WWII: Europe 1944 Kickstarter [Re: Mace71]  
159th_Viper Offline
Flyin' it like I Stole it......Always!
159th_Viper  Offline
Flyin' it like I Stole it......Always!

Texas, USA

Well, the fact that you fail to draw a distinction between EDGE on the one hand and Nevada on the other is indicative enough. Be that as it may, I suppose you are entitled to your opinion, however misguided it may be. Honestly, comparing it to what, Duke Nukem (?) is just stirring, or is that trolling.

Airframe #36
159th Guards Aviation Regiment
"Airspeed, Altitude, or Brains; you always need at least two."
#3832378 - 09/05/13 08:37 PM Re: DCS WWII: Europe 1944 Kickstarter [Re: 159th_Viper]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
Originally Posted By: 159th_Viper

Well, the fact that you fail to draw a distinction between EDGE on the one hand and Nevada on the other is indicative enough. Be that as it may, I suppose you are entitled to your opinion, however misguided it may be. Honestly, comparing it to what, Duke Nukem (?) is just stirring, or is that trolling.

[admin edit: no personal attacks]

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle
#3832380 - 09/05/13 08:44 PM Re: DCS WWII: Europe 1944 Kickstarter [Re: SkateZilla]  
FearlessFrog Offline
FearlessFrog  Offline

Mace, edit your post please. There's no need for it, and it'll just get worse and probably trash the thread anyway. You and Viper have had a say, and you probably don't give a monkies anyway so what's the point..

#3832382 - 09/05/13 08:46 PM Re: DCS WWII: Europe 1944 Kickstarter [Re: SkateZilla]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

[admin edit: no personal attacks. Just because someone is a big name developer doesn't mean they aren't afforded the same protection against personal attacks. Keep it civil.]

Now hes back talking about a new sim as if CLOD and the last 9 years never existed...come on.

Im going to back the sim because we need more world war 2 flight sims and i DO want this to succeed, just as much as i want BOS to succeed, but im not going to pretend Oleg and Luthiers last effort never happened.

#3832384 - 09/05/13 08:48 PM Re: DCS WWII: Europe 1944 Kickstarter [Re: SkateZilla]  
kestrel79 Offline
kestrel79  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
I wish them all the best, but after plunking down 100 bucks for a copy of CoD for my brother and I at launch and getting a crap buggy game that barely ran on his mid level pc no thanks.

Before I give them my cash I'd have to see more of the EDGE engine and what it can do differently than the current DCS engine.

Right now I'm committed to BoS.

Intel i5 2500k // Asus P8P67 // 16GB G.Skill RAM // RX480 8GB // 27" monitor // VKB Black Mamba Mk.III // Warthog Throttle // TFRP Pedals // W7
#3832385 - 09/05/13 08:49 PM Re: DCS WWII: Europe 1944 Kickstarter [Re: SkateZilla]  
kestrel79 Offline
kestrel79  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
I did get a good laugh at Oleg by the fireplace...I expect to see many flight sim memes made from that. As a graphic designer aye that logo is lookin rough, even with a limited budget you could make something much better than that.

Intel i5 2500k // Asus P8P67 // 16GB G.Skill RAM // RX480 8GB // 27" monitor // VKB Black Mamba Mk.III // Warthog Throttle // TFRP Pedals // W7
#3832386 - 09/05/13 08:49 PM Re: DCS WWII: Europe 1944 Kickstarter [Re: Mogster]  
ATAG_Bliss Offline
ATAG_Bliss  Offline

Originally Posted By: Mogster

I'm surprised by Olegs involvement, after CloD I'm not sure if his presence will be viewed as a plus or a minus. I do wonder how involved he actually is. He obviously has other commitments, maybe more of a thankyou to Luthier? He is one of the few names in the flightsim genre that's recognisable to the general gaming community.

Why would you be surprised? Oleg's team made the best WWII combat sim of all time, arguably the best combat sim ever made in history.

Do you honestly feel IL2COD's release was the fault of Oleg or Ilya? I'll never understand these comments. It's as if you think they wanted it released as it was.

Even in its buggy release, I could see all the painstaking details in it all. Stuff that has never been seen in another flight sim since. It boggles the mind how much passion there is in the game. And with the modders fixing various things, there isn't a WWII sim out there that comes close. What they tried to achieve is mind boggling. It's a shame more couldn't be arsed to see it. Because from those of us that enjoy it, we know just how much was achieved under the curtains of it all.

Will I support Ilya/Oleg? Without even thinking about it. They have made some of the only sims that I never tire of. The sandbox they have created in both IL2's is unsurpassed by any other sim out there. This is an absolute no brainer. And they don't need to waste 10's of 1000s on a video. Their previous work more than speaks for itself.

I haven't been this excited in a long time. These guys essentially defined proper combat sims.

I just find some of these comments hilarious. But carry on.

#3832389 - 09/05/13 08:53 PM Re: DCS WWII: Europe 1944 Kickstarter [Re: ricnunes]  
NineLine Offline
ED Community Manager
NineLine  Offline
ED Community Manager

BC, Canada
But those planes went into production in 1944? And the name of this sim is DCS WWII: 1944, not DCS WWII: D-Day? Are you confused? Trying too hard to find fault are we?

Originally Posted By: ricnunes
I find very comical the set of flyable aircraft chosen by these guys and their historical Inaccuracy (and the lack of research by these guys)!
Lets see, the map of this DCS WWII: Europe 1944 will be Normandy which means that we're talking about D-Day and probably the preceding months (Allied gaining Air Superiority over Northern France, namely Normandy), right? Than WHY OF HELL ON EARTH that the flyable Luftwaffe aircraft (and variants) and the Focke-Wulf FW190D-9 and the Messerschmitt Bf-109K-4 being that the production for both aircraft only stated on August 1944 (well after the D-Day invasion) and only entered in service after this date?!

#3832390 - 09/05/13 08:53 PM Re: DCS WWII: Europe 1944 Kickstarter [Re: SkateZilla]  
FearlessFrog Offline
FearlessFrog  Offline

Furbs, yeah I thought it was fairly horrific smile but in short summary (I'm at work, being naughty) I didn't care that much smile .

Balance over the last 10 years or so he's provided me lots of entertainment, and yes CLOD was disappointing in many, many ways, but overall I'm just an optimistic type so will drop some cash for this and BOS. I'm pretty sure he's not a bond villain, stroking white cats full of 15 million quid cat food, and that the reality of these situation is probably pretty far removed from how we perceive it on forums. I just spent $80 putting gas/petrol in a car, so have trouble worrying too much about these things. I can completely understand people staying clear though.

#3832393 - 09/05/13 08:56 PM Re: DCS WWII: Europe 1944 Kickstarter [Re: FearlessFrog]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
Originally Posted By: FearlessFrog
Furbs, yeah I thought it was fairly horrific smile but in short summary (I'm at work, being naughty) I didn't care that much smile .

Balance over the last 10 years or so he's provided me lots of entertainment, and yes CLOD was disappointing in many, many ways, but overall I'm just an optimistic type so will drop some cash for this and BOS. I'm pretty sure he's not a bond villain, stroking white cats full of 15 million quid cat food, and that the reality of these situations is probably pretty far removed from how we perceive it on forums. I just spent $80 putting gas/petrol in a car, so have trouble worrying too much about these things. I can completely understanding people staying clear though.

Nicely put, thanks.

yep

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#3832394 - 09/05/13 08:56 PM Re: DCS WWII: Europe 1944 Kickstarter [Re: ATAG_Bliss]  
NineLine Offline
ED Community Manager
NineLine  Offline
ED Community Manager

BC, Canada
Bottomline ends up being this, one of the theories was always that the were pushed by the producer. That excuse is off the table, so whether you agree with that theory or not, its all on them now. I was impressed with where CloD was wanting to go, dissapointed it never got there... now they have an opportunity to show us what they got. If the mess this up its game over for them, of that I am pretty sure, I would assume they know that... These people that dont see the potential are only missing out on more WWII era sim goodness.. sucks to be them, I'm in.

Originally Posted By: ATAG_Bliss
Originally Posted By: Mogster

Why would you be surprised? Oleg's team made the best WWII combat sim of all time, arguably the best combat sim ever made in history.

Do you honestly feel IL2COD's release was the fault of Oleg or Ilya? I'll never understand these comments. It's as if you think they wanted it released as it was.

Even in its buggy release, I could see all the painstaking details in it all. Stuff that has never been seen in another flight sim since. It boggles the mind how much passion there is in the game. And with the modders fixing various things, there isn't a WWII sim out there that comes close. What they tried to achieve is mind boggling. It's a shame more couldn't be arsed to see it. Because from those of us that enjoy it, we know just how much was achieved under the curtains of it all.

Will I support Ilya/Oleg? Without even thinking about it. They have made some of the only sims that I never tire of. The sandbox they have created in both IL2's is unsurpassed by any other sim out there. This is an absolute no brainer. And they don't need to waste 10's of 1000s on a video. Their previous work more than speaks for itself.

I haven't been this excited in a long time. These guys essentially defined proper combat sims.

I just find some of these comments hilarious. But carry on.

#3832399 - 09/05/13 09:07 PM Re: DCS WWII: Europe 1944 Kickstarter [Re: ricnunes]  
SkateZilla Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
SkateZilla  Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran

Virginia Beach, VA

Im gonna say this nicely.... you just over analyzed the entire Kickstarter.

The entire thing isnt based around D-Day, it was mentioned on playing a D-Day Re-Creation, but no where does it Say the entire Campaign is Centered around D-Day, Battle of the Falaise pocket and The Battle of Bulge are also mentioned a few times.

Calm down.

HAF922, Corsair RM850, ASRock Fata1ity 990FX Pro,
Modified Corsair H100, AMD FX8350 @ 5.31GHz, 16GB G.SKILL@DDR2133,
2x R7970 Lightnings, +1 HD7950 @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Fata1ity Platinum Champ.,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns�G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050), Oculus Rift CV
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throt., Pro Pedals, TM Warthog & MFDs, Fanatec CSR Wheel/Shifter, Elite Pedals
Intensity Pro 10-Bit, TrackIR 4 Pro, WD Black 1.5TB, WD Black 640GB, Samsung 850 500GB, My Book 4TB
#3832404 - 09/05/13 09:11 PM Re: DCS WWII: Europe 1944 Kickstarter [Re: SkateZilla]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

Bliss, if it wasn't for ATAG+TF CLOD would be history by now, condemned to being a horrible buggy mess of a sim.
You guys saved it.

If Oleg or Luthier are not to blame then who is? they had 7+ years of development plus 2 years of patches(alpha, beta,alpha...what ever) and it was such a mix of the awesome and dreadful that it was panned all over the flight sim community and rightly so.

Thats the last im saying on that anyway.

Im glad they are getting another chance, i hope they succeed and we get 2 new sims next year, god knows we went a long time with without any new WW2 flight sims.

Their ideas for DCS:44 are very exciting, i hope we get to see them.

#3832405 - 09/05/13 09:13 PM Re: DCS WWII: Europe 1944 Kickstarter [Re: BKHZ_Furbs]  
SlipBall Offline
disillusioned
SlipBall  Offline
disillusioned

East Coast U.S.A.
Originally Posted By: BKHZ_Furbs
[admin edit: no personal attacks, even on developers]

Now hes back talking about a new sim as if CLOD and the last 9 years never existed...come on.

Im going to back the sim because we need more world war 2 flight sims and i DO want this to succeed, just as much as i want BOS to succeed, but im not going to pretend Oleg and Luthiers last effort never happened.

Oleg worked hard for that chair and fire, you have to give him that. CLod was more a failure of him to make it playable for the older rigs out there, of which I had one on game release.

Post composed with speech to text, it woks grape!

Clod
OEM screenshots & videos of Eu release..So I fly the original game because I am a off-liner and the game's AI was broken after the last good patch, game version 1.0.13954
GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
#3832410 - 09/05/13 09:14 PM Re: DCS WWII: Europe 1944 Kickstarter [Re: NineLine]  
Remon Offline
Remon  Offline

Greece
Originally Posted By: SiThSpAwN
But those planes went into production in 1944? And the name of this sim is DCS WWII: 1944, not DCS WWII: D-Day? Are you confused? Trying too hard to find fault are we?

It's the usual ricnunes post, don't get too bothered by it.

As for the people crying for Oleg trying to remind us of CloDs failure, they seem to forget who made Il-2.

#3832411 - 09/05/13 09:17 PM Re: DCS WWII: Europe 1944 Kickstarter [Re: SkateZilla]  
Aladar Offline
Aladar  Offline

Fremont, CA
Im intruiged, but I feel that as a kickstarter, their pitch is really really weak.

They didn't sell me on a vision. What they want for their game. They essentially said "we'll have great planes, look at these people, they tell you why they love the game now fund us!"

I need to know what the game I'm gonna be investing will be like! The video did none of that. Should have tried to tell me why I should back this one over say, IL-2 BOS. Plus, to be honest 100k doesn't seem like an especially large ammount. Not sure what to feel about it.

Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.