Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#3830751 - 09/02/13 07:28 PM Re: Allied Force Debriefing screen problem [Re: schnidrman]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Ah, the good ol' Logi. I used that when I flew AF when it came out. I hope your pots last longer than mine did!

Regarding a stick, I can confidently recommend a Warthog or CH gear. I would not recommend a Cougar simply because that HOTAS needs a bit more love to keep it working whereas a Warthog/CH will simply keep on going. If you want a setup you can tinker with, then the Cougar is a good "project joystick." If you just want to fly, Warthog or CH.

My setup is TM Warthog, TrackIR 5, Saitek Pro Flight rudders (the cheaper ones). I have headphones for the TrackIR LED clip, use VAC for the "radios," and use a touchscreen for my instruments. I would suggest getting a TM Warthog and using Morphine's excellent profile. The stick is the same as the F-16 stick, but obviously the throttle isn't, but you'll get used to is soon enough. I'd rather the "different layout" of the WH throttle than deal with the reliability issues I've been having with the Cougar ANT and RNG rotaries. And I own two Cougars... but like I said, "project joystick." Also, instead of getting rudders, which you will only use during taxiing and sometimes during dogfights, I would recommend getting Cougar MFDs. You will use your MFDs all the time, whether you are on the ground or in the air, regardless of mission, etc. so for me, it is the better investment compared to a rudder set. There is a setup option in BMS anyway that allows you to control your NWS with your stick, so at least taxiing is covered.

So, TM Warthog and TM Cougar MFDs first, rudders later.

- Ice
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3830791 - 09/02/13 09:12 PM Re: Allied Force Debriefing screen problem [Re: - Ice]  
schnidrman Offline
Jason Schneider
schnidrman  Offline
Jason Schneider

Kansas City, Missouri
Thanx for the advise. I had heard about the problems w/ wearable items in the Cougar and had been shying away because of it. Never realized that the flight stick was the same on the Hog. MFD's look way cool, but I might get a touch screen first.

schnidrman

[Linked Image]
#3830826 - 09/02/13 10:38 PM Re: Allied Force Debriefing screen problem [Re: schnidrman]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

If you get a touchscreen, then there is no need to get the Cougar MFDs. Simply "create" them on your Helios profile smile I simply suggest the MFDs as a "while you wait for your touchscreen"... having the OSBs at your disposal is a great help, but obviously a touchscreen is like infinite number of buttons!

Re: Cougar - my issues have been with the throttle rotaries so far. However, others have had problems with joystick "play" or free movement, or spring resistance, etc., hence the need for mods for a better experience with the Cougar. One of my Cougars has UberNXT2 + HALL sensors, the other is FSSB. If HALL sensors for the rotaries existed, I'd be using the Cougar throttle and FSSB stick. But such is not the case, so I stick with my reliable Warthog.

- Ice
#3830876 - 09/03/13 02:32 AM Re: Allied Force Debriefing screen problem [Re: - Ice]  
schnidrman Offline
Jason Schneider
schnidrman  Offline
Jason Schneider

Kansas City, Missouri
Sounds like the Warthog+touchscreen is the most cost effective for me right now, although the MFD's sound like something I'll want to add down the road.

[Linked Image]
#3831274 - 09/03/13 09:31 PM Re: Allied Force Debriefing screen problem [Re: schnidrman]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Like I said, if you get the touchscreen, you won't need the MFDs as you can "build" it inside the Helios profile. I had Cougar MFDs, but I've given them to my son since I no longer need them.

Check out this thread to see what my first Helios profile. I'll be posting v.2 soon.

- Ice
#3831319 - 09/03/13 10:45 PM Re: Allied Force Debriefing screen problem [Re: MigBuster]  
schnidrman Offline
Jason Schneider
schnidrman  Offline
Jason Schneider

Kansas City, Missouri
The CH Fighterstick looks good and the price is a lot better than the Hog, but my gut tells me the HOG is the way to go. Mainly because of the throttle controller. Still trying to decide though! confused

[Linked Image]
#3831324 - 09/03/13 10:57 PM Re: Allied Force Debriefing screen problem [Re: - Ice]  
schnidrman Offline
Jason Schneider
schnidrman  Offline
Jason Schneider

Kansas City, Missouri
Quote:
I had Cougar MFDs, but I've given them to my son since I no longer need them.

Is this the youngest Falconeer I read about a few months back? How's he coming along? Is he flying BMS also? Sounds too cool that your son is taking interest in this sim. I predict lots of great father/son bonding!

Will probably be a couple of months before I get all the stuff I want, but I think it will be worth the wait. I could probably get the CH stick right now, but I think I'm going to save up a little more and get the Hog and a touchscreen.

Thanks again,

schnidrman

[Linked Image]
#3831818 - 09/04/13 08:57 PM Re: Allied Force Debriefing screen problem [Re: schnidrman]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

+1 for the Warthog. I know people will recommend CH as well and it is a reliable product, but I've never used one so I am biased!

Yep, my son is who you've read about, though I doubt he'll be the "youngest Falconeer" for long. My 4-year old is very good at racing games now and he can win a few races at Burnout Paradise so his finger dexterity and hand-eye coordination is quite good. He just might usurp his older brother in a few years! Unfortunately, we've stopped flying BMS lately due to other games taking up his interest, but he's had a few odd flights here and there, practicing his landings.

- Ice
#3833064 - 09/06/13 10:46 PM Re: Allied Force Debriefing screen problem [Re: - Ice]  
schnidrman Offline
Jason Schneider
schnidrman  Offline
Jason Schneider

Kansas City, Missouri
I predict he will get back to BMS at some point, it's like an addiction you can't kick and never gets old. If your youngest gets in it, you'll almost have you a four ship! Get the wife involved and you got it! ROFLMAO! clapping
I like the Hog mainly because I might try DCS also, just for the A-10. IS DCS worth the time or is the A-10 in BMS just as good? Just wondering.

schnidrman

[Linked Image]
#3833091 - 09/06/13 11:26 PM Re: Allied Force Debriefing screen problem [Re: schnidrman]  
MigBuster Offline
MigBuster  Offline

UK
Originally Posted By: schnidrman
IS DCS worth the time or is the A-10 in BMS just as good? Just wondering.

Suggest giving DCS World with A-10C a look if you have the time and money.

BMS is centered on the F-16CM only - so although it blows every other F-16 sim out of the water the other aircraft are not to that level.

DCS A-10C is literally the USAF desktop Simulator they wanted minus the classified bits - so from an avionics POV it goes into as much and even more depth. The in game training is very good!

Its hard work against a modern Defence system in the A-10C - and you don't get a dynamic campaign engine like in Falcon.

'Crashing and Burning since 1987'
#3833109 - 09/07/13 12:06 AM Re: Allied Force Debriefing screen problem [Re: MigBuster]  
schnidrman Offline
Jason Schneider
schnidrman  Offline
Jason Schneider

Kansas City, Missouri
Thanks, M/B. Will probably get into DCS in a couple of months after I get more hardware and get a better handle on BMS. One question...is the cockpit for the A-10 in BMS similar to the DCS cockpit? If not, I'll probably just stay out of it until I get DCS. Thanks,

schnidrman

[Linked Image]
#3833220 - 09/07/13 08:57 AM Re: Allied Force Debriefing screen problem [Re: schnidrman]  
SAPPER Offline
SAPPER  Offline

Portugal
Unless there is a new A-10 for BMS, the A-10 BMS used to have is an A-10A not the C. Those are very diferent in capability to start with. The C also introduces some important cockpit diferences. Apart from that the A-10 you used to get was no where near the fidelity of the F-16, not to mention a DCS level product. Also all aircraft any version of falcon makes flyable will be using F-16 avionics.

#3833246 - 09/07/13 10:21 AM Re: Allied Force Debriefing screen problem [Re: schnidrman]  
MigBuster Offline
MigBuster  Offline

UK
Yes Falcon 4 is currently only for F-16s only if you are into the hard core side of things - and the A-10A and pit are a lite implementation for fun.

The A-10C pit is vastly different to the A-10A - DCS also has an A-10A module now with an Advanced flight model and pretty amazing cockpit - so if you like the A-10 DCS is more for you.

Regarding the F-16 avionics in Falcon - there is an FA-18C on the way being done where we may see changes in that regards.

'Crashing and Burning since 1987'
#3833438 - 09/07/13 07:37 PM Re: Allied Force Debriefing screen problem [Re: schnidrman]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

I think they've modelled the A-10A in BMS. The A-10C is much more updated and I find it easier to operate and fly, but this is comparing the A-10A in Flaming Cliffs 2 with the A-10C in DCS.

The A-10C is a beautiful aircraft and learning to use the gun is a whole different type of fun. When I went to BMS from DCS, I really missed the gun. The Viper just carries a squirt gun with limited ammo frown

The main problem I find with the DCS environment is kinda hard to explain. It's a mix of aircraft type and theatre. The A-10C is a very good CAS platform, very good fuel endurance, awesome payload, and when everything's gone, the gun still screams bad-assery. However, it is very limited in terms of air-to-air capabilities. You may win against a helicopter or a lucky shot against a stupid fast-mover, but most of the time, once an air fighter comes up, you'll find yourself hiding in the weeds. It'll also be this time that you'll be screaming into your radios asking for backup. This is nothing new and it is one of the limitations of the airframe, so we can't really blame the Hog as it was NOT designed for anything other than what it can do.

This is why I like the Viper. Any sort of load out will still leave you with at least 4 pylons for A-A missiles of your choice. Even when you are laden with bombs, you can still drop them (scrub the mission) and be ready for an A-A fight. I guess I didn't like the idea of running away.

As for the theatre, well, the map is fine, it's more of the "campaign engine" or "dynamic campaign" or "dynamic AI" that is missing. Unless the mission designer has taken great pains to make the mission very flexible and unique, you'll find that not many are replayable. Sure you can replay missions, but then you'll know where everything is. Kinda like watching a movie over and over, eventually it won't be fun if you know the ending. I lost most of my interest in DCS when majority of the missions were more about racking up kills and less about co-operation and tactics. When you're dropping bombs all day from 20,000 feet and people would even insist on 25,000 feet cruising, when there's nary a SAM threat or an air threat, well, I guess I've had enough of "target practice" and want a sim where the enemy can and does shoot back.

I guess it would've been cool if you could call on F-15s for air cover, but again, unless the mission is designed that way, you're SOL.

To be fair, I think the implementation of the TGP is 1,000x better in DCS than in BMS... I find it weird that you can't set SPI in BMS, but I hear they're working on that. Sometimes, as I set up an attack run or when I'm looking for targets of interest in convoys, the TGP will go berserk as well and I don't know why that happens. Very annoying!

/end rant

- Ice
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.