Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3806283 - 07/07/13 10:48 PM Obutto and alternatives?  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz
Due to some basement flooding this past spring, I'm going to probably have to ditch my ABC pit build. The issue is, I don't have a room for a dedicated sim pit anywhere else in my house, and don't want to risk damaging my PC or sim gear because the public works dept decided back-washing the sewage system wasn't really that important this year....

That means that I'm going to move my current Ikea Jerker desk (AWESOME work station BTW, despite the name...)to the basement to use as storage shelving, and look to a generic, multi purpose pit that support the following:

-Flight simming, including support kit such as TM MFDs (down the road at least)
-Point and click style gaming (Think Civ 5)
-Mixed control gaming: Think Arma (moving between foot and vehicle control gear) or KSP moving between ship building and flying
-Act as a desk from when I work from home occasionally (If I'm ever back in a work-at-home situation, I'll get a dedicated work space)
-Racing Sims

The ideal monitor arrangement would be 3 ~30" screens (or maybe one larger, higher res screen) and a central touch screen that would allow for gauges and touch controls in flight simming.

My gear is currently in my Sig, but I'd like to be able to move relatively easily between setups. ie: I don't want to have to reach for the screw driver if I decide I want to go from FSX to Civ 5.

I know many love the obutto 'pits, but I also remember seeing someone (might have been the actual manufacturer) posting a sim-cockpit similar to the obutto on the site, but I can't remember what it was called. Just trying to layout all my options.

I'm also open to other suggestions people have.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by AggressorBLUE; 07/07/13 10:52 PM.

My Rig:i5-3570k @ 4.2 GHZ W/ Corsair Hydro H110 Cooler / Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo / GTX 1070/ 16 Gigs DDR3 RAM / A Few SSDs, and a Bunch of HDDs / All held together by: Corsair C70 Case

Other Assets Deployed:
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog SN#22621/CH Throttle Quad/MFG Crosswind Pedals SN#0004 smile
TrackIR TIR 5 w/ TrackClip Pro biggrin
Simpit: Obutto R3VOLUTION

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3806347 - 07/08/13 03:17 AM Re: Obutto and alternatives? [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
vsempizdetz Offline
vsempizdetz  Offline

Hey man, I've been in a search of exactly the same kind of desk, for the exact same kind of purposes, for almost half a year. Obutto promises to deliver to these requirements but the price tag and general hassle of getting one was not for me. What worked was getting a fredrik desk (great desk but would have preferred galant for the height adjustability) and getting stationary glides for my office chair. Then, I took off the armrests and screwed in straight metal brackets under both the left and right sides of my office chair where the armrests used to screw on (insert sexual reference here). Finally, a 2x4 was screwed on top of the bracket on each side. This would attend to flight simulation purposes. Yes, all-in-all it's quite a mediocre solution with one disadvantage: no armrests.

If you're good with tools however, construct your own 'office' chair using a car seat. I tried that out myself once to no avail, but if I went through with the project I'm certain it would be really promising.

Check out Volair Sim or Playseat for something pre-made that might satisfy what you're looking for.

Anyway, good luck!

#3806355 - 07/08/13 04:18 AM Re: Obutto and alternatives? [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
kestrel79 Offline
kestrel79  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
I do flight sims as well as racing sims in my Obutto no problem. You'd probably have to go with the newer one if you want 3 x 30 monitors.

It's also comfy and I can sit in it for hours.

Intel i5 2500k // Asus P8P67 // 16GB G.Skill RAM // RX480 8GB // 27" monitor // VKB Black Mamba Mk.III // Warthog Throttle // TFRP Pedals // W7
#3806394 - 07/08/13 08:52 AM Re: Obutto and alternatives? [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
531 Ghost Offline
USMC
531 Ghost  Offline
USMC
Veteran

Elizabeth City NC

Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

#3806462 - 07/08/13 02:29 PM Re: Obutto and alternatives? [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz
@vsempizdetz

Thanks for the info, Volair sim is actually the Obutto type setup I was thinking of (but couldn't remember the name). Would you be able to show a pic of your setup?

The price for a pit like this is something I'm willing to pay, as a well built sim-pit will last much, much longer than say, a new gaming PC.

I figure if this is more than $500, I'll probably push it back to later in the year though.

@Kestrel
How much of a hassle is it to swap between racing and flying? Also, do you do any mouse/keyboard type gaming in the seat.

@Ghost
Noticeably absent from those comparisons is the Volair pit, which looks to be obuttos closest competitor. As I recall from the last time I looked at Obutto, my head was spinning with all the different mounts and attachments. To be clear, I'm not ruling out the Obutto, but if there's better value to be had, I'm game.

My Rig:i5-3570k @ 4.2 GHZ W/ Corsair Hydro H110 Cooler / Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo / GTX 1070/ 16 Gigs DDR3 RAM / A Few SSDs, and a Bunch of HDDs / All held together by: Corsair C70 Case

Other Assets Deployed:
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog SN#22621/CH Throttle Quad/MFG Crosswind Pedals SN#0004 smile

#3806467 - 07/08/13 02:44 PM Re: Obutto and alternatives? [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz
From the Volair site:

On paper, the Volair looks like it has more value than the Obutto, but the question then shifts to build quality. $1000 for a fully loaded evolution pit is a lot, but again, I'm willing to consider the price as this is something that will be with me a long time.

One issue I do see with the Volair, is that it looks like my Saitek Combat rudder pedals might not fit (IIRC, the first gen Obutto pits had this problem as well, rectified with the Evolution pit).

Other Assets Deployed:

#3819876 - 08/08/13 01:25 PM Re: Obutto and alternatives? [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
obutto Offline
obutto  Offline

CHINA | USA
As a heads up the Volair is just a rebranded GT-Omega v.1 cockpit, with some subtle changes to the mounting locations. How I know this is because GT Omega is our UK dealer, and because our US distributor is always on the ball.

I've never used the GT Omega, or the Volair incarnation, but if you want ergonomic use of your keyboard/mouse then I'd be very surprised if either can achieve this, and that's coming from someone that gave up using desks in '06, and have soley been using the obutto cockpits for work & play smile

Best wishes with your decision though!

#3820018 - 08/08/13 06:08 PM Re: Obutto and alternatives? [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
kestrel79 Offline
kestrel79  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
Switching between flying and racing I wish was a little easier, but it only takes about 10 minutes for me.

1-unclamp and unplug wheel and store it in closet.
2- unplug racing pedals and store.
3-install joystick stand between legs, plug in my x52.
4-plug in my CH pedals
5-lock in my x52 throttle on my shifter mount. (I store it on here at all times because my DFGT wheel shifter is on the wheel itself.)

Mouse and keyboard games are fine, I play tons of RTS and FPS games on steam with no problem with the keyboard tray.

Intel i5 2500k // Asus P8P67 // 16GB G.Skill RAM // RX480 8GB // 27" monitor // VKB Black Mamba Mk.III // Warthog Throttle // TFRP Pedals // W7
#3820058 - 08/08/13 08:10 PM Re: Obutto and alternatives? [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
JAMF Offline
Frugalite & P-38 fan
JAMF  Offline
Frugalite & P-38 fan

The Netherlands
I doubt I would enjoy racing a FFB wheel on a Volair. Two long parallel tubes supporting the desk/wheel mount? No triangles for rigidity?

#3820066 - 08/08/13 08:41 PM Re: Obutto and alternatives? [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
Snicks Offline
Snicks  Offline

I recently purchased the Obutto R3volution and that was only after almost buying the Volair. You are right that the Volair looks great for the price but when looking closely at it I was left feeling it was of a much lower quality. Look at the table top for example. Just a sheet of metal with bent over edges. The keyboard tray is rather small too. You only ever see Volair using mini keyboards with it because if you use a full sized KB you have very little room for a mouse.

Being an avid gamer including first person shooters I need a keyboard tray with room to throw a mouse around.

I think the Volair is a nice cockpit but for a little more money you can have damn near a masterpiece in the Obutto R3volution.

Built mine the other day and its been a pleasure to use.

#3820711 - 08/10/13 10:45 AM Re: Obutto and alternatives? [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
Snicks Offline
Snicks  Offline

Thought I'd share. I have more to do but the basics are there...

#3821719 - 08/13/13 06:11 AM Re: Obutto and alternatives? [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
Wild_Turkey Offline
Wild_Turkey  Offline

Texas
I love my Obutto R3volution. If you are worried about water, throw some 4x4 or 4x6 runners down and bolt/screw the obutto legs/skids to those to raise it all up.

i5 3570k ivy(4.5 OC), ASUS Maximus V Formula, 16gb GSkill RipJaws 2133mhz, 2xEVGA SuperClocked+ GTX 680 in SLI, 2x Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD's(1 for OS, 1 for Games), Corsair H100 Watercooler,ASUS Xonar Phoebus SC, Windows 7 x64, Razer BlackShark BF3 Headset. CoolerMaster Cosmos II, XFX Pro 1250w. Samsung 46" LED TV(7100 series) ASUS VG278HE 27"144Hz, Saitek Pro Flight pedals, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Razer Nostromo, Razer Naga, Razer Deathstalker Ultimate.
#3821835 - 08/13/13 03:01 PM Re: Obutto and alternatives? [Re: Wild_Turkey]  
CyBerkut Online content
Administrator
CyBerkut  Online Content
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Originally Posted By: Wild_Turkey
I love my Obutto R3volution. If you are worried about water, throw some 4x4 or 4x6 runners down and bolt/screw the obutto legs/skids to those to raise it all up.

Hell, make a pontoon platform!

#3830744 - 09/02/13 06:42 PM Re: Obutto and alternatives? [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
milan_croatia Offline
milan_croatia  Offline

Split, Croatia
To Agressor blue
Obutto R3volution is not compatible with your MFG pedals...you will need width adjustment plate for that.

Some users reported that other obutto models are to narrow for my pedals too... keep it in mind

#3832369 - 09/05/13 08:20 PM Re: Obutto and alternatives? [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
MPPC_Mike Offline
Owner Main Performance PC
MPPC_Mike  Offline
Owner Main Performance PC

Washington, DC
We also compared the oZone to the Volair -

We are also creating one for the R3Volution, but keep in mind, Volair's comparison posted prior is full of stuff that is not true. The only thing correct in their comparison to the r3v is that it doesn't come with a triple monitor mount.

That is something you are paying extra for if you are not wanting triple screens. So they give the appearance of value, but in the end, you may be paying for extra's you may never use.

Michael G. Main - President
Main Performance PC LLC.
http://www.mainperformancepc.com/
#3860979 - 11/11/13 02:35 AM Re: Obutto and alternatives? [Re: MPPC_Mike]  
Volair_Sim Offline
Volair_Sim  Offline

Indianapolis, Indiana
Originally Posted By: MPPC_Mike
but keep in mind, Volair's comparison posted prior is full of stuff that is not true.

Like what exactly Mike???

Actually your comparison is misleading as Volair pedal base is adjustable (up/down) just like oZone. Saying that Volair is not available with single mount is also false as you can take the arms and have a single monitor config. Lastly, you can have computer interchangeability with Volair just like obutto. In fact probably a better one since you have a larger table (provided standard I may add) vs. little wheel mount.

How about we refer the folks to the independent reviews (including one at SimHQ - Volair Sim Review ) and let them draw own conclusions.

Volair Sim - Affordable Flight | Racing Cockpits
www.volairsim.com
#3860985 - 11/11/13 02:53 AM Re: Obutto and alternatives? [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
Volair_Sim Offline
Volair_Sim  Offline

Indianapolis, Indiana
I wanted to respond to AggressorBLUE regarding few items with Volair:

Looks like it has been few months since your post so this may not matter to you anymore but...

1. The Saitek combat rudder pedals WILL fit. It is a tight fit but they work.

2. Lastly, someone asked about keyboard ray being too small for std keyboard - as shown below, a full size keyboard and mouse will fit.

Good luck. Whatever choice you make, any sim cockpit will GREATLY increase your sense of realism and immersion.

Last edited by Volair_Sim; 11/11/13 03:03 AM.

Volair Sim - Affordable Flight | Racing Cockpits
www.volairsim.com
#3861105 - 11/11/13 12:57 PM Re: Obutto and alternatives? [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
531 Ghost Offline
USMC
531 Ghost  Offline
USMC
Veteran

Elizabeth City NC
As long as we're throwing out SimHQ review links, here's a few...

http://www.simhq.com/_technology3/technology_184a.html
http://www.simhq.com/_technology3/technology_173a.html
http://www.simhq.com/_technology2/technology_151a.html

Volair Sim, claims they are NOT a rebranded GT Omega cockpit (as Obutto claims).

In any case, there are options to pick from. Play nice.

Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

#3861439 - 11/12/13 05:07 AM Re: Obutto and alternatives? [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
Vorlander Offline
Vorlander  Offline

South Africa
G'day all,

My first time on the forum. I have bought an Obottu Revolution cockpit. Being shipped from the UK to South Africa at the moment.
My concern is that I have MFG crosswind rudder pedals and that the pedals won't fit in the cockpit.

Has anybody done some modifications to their Obutto Rev cockpit to fit wider pedals? Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you

#3884272 - 12/26/13 05:02 PM Re: Obutto and alternatives? [Re: Vorlander]  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz
Originally Posted By: Vorlander
G'day all,

My first time on the forum. I have bought an Obottu Revolution cockpit. Being shipped from the UK to South Africa at the moment.
My concern is that I have MFG crosswind rudder pedals and that the pedals won't fit in the cockpit.

Has anybody done some modifications to their Obutto Rev cockpit to fit wider pedals? Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you

Any update here, compatability with the crosswinds is a big concern for me.

And thanks for the replies from everyone (including reps from both obutto and Volair. Im still weighing my options at the moment, but Im hoping to pull the trigger in the next month or so.

Also, does anyone have info on how adjustable the monitor mount on the revolution is without the triple monitor package?

Last edited by AggressorBLUE; 12/26/13 06:53 PM.

Other Assets Deployed:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.