Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
#3830310 - 09/01/13 06:27 PM DCS WWII: Europe 1944  
Silver_Dragon Offline
Silver_Dragon  Offline

Arafo, Canary Islands, Spain
RRG Studios announced new project: DCS WWII: Europe 1944

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1855052#post1855052
Quote:
RRG Studios announces an upcoming Kickstarter campaign for DCS WWII: Europe 1944, a start of an exciting new flight simulation series.

MOSCOW, Russia – September 1, 2013 - Legendary flight simulation designers Ilya Shevchenko, Igor Tishin, and Matt Wagner are excited to announce an upcoming Kickstarter campaign for a new WWII flight simulation being developed for the PC. DCS WWII: Europe 1944 is the start of an exciting new flight simulation series. Built by industry veterans at RRG Studios with the same approach that made famous flight sims of the past great, and in partnership with the experts at the Fighter Collection and Eagle Dynamics, the simulation aims to satisfy seasoned aces as well as attract new pilots to the genre.

DCS WWII: Europe 1944 will take the player to the skies over Western Europe at the height of WWII in 1944. Players will attack enemy ground vehicles in the famous P-47 Thunderbolt in the Battle of Falaise, or intercept waves of B-17 Flying Fortresses in their Messerschmitt Bf.109; or attempt to fend off incredible new Me.262 jet fighters in their suddenly slow and obsolete propeller-driven Spitfires.

With successful Kickstarter funding of stretch goals, the project will include more famous historical aircraft, such as the Lockheed P-38, de Havilland Mosquito, Messerschmitt Me.262, and even a flyable version of the Boeing B-17.

The simulation is based on the award-winning DCS engine used in such stellar products as DCS: P-51D Mustang and DCS: A-10C Warthog. DCS WWII: Europe 1944 will boast an all-new EDGE landscape engine, as well as many new and updated features.

As all simulations in the DCS line, DCS WWII titles will boast detailed recreations of famous WWII aircraft and meticulous modeling of individual aircraft systems. Combat missions over a huge game world painstakingly recreated from period maps will offer rich single-player experience recreating famous battles from both sides.

DCS WWII will also ship with advanced AI that recreates historical tactics and models pilots of varying skill levels, from bumbling rookies to merciless aces. Other features such as the dynamic weather and seasons, comprehensive training, robust multiplayer , a powerful mission and campaign editor, as well as a mission replay system, pilot log book, and other features will all add up to incredible player experience.

“With unparalleled attention to detail, our developers have decades of experience with aerial combat simulations,” said Ilya Shevchenko of RRG Studios. “We are famous for our ability to make our games fun while maintaining unwavering dedication to historical realism. We can do it because the relatively simple aircraft of the WWII era do not require extensive training, and nimble controls and simple weapons naturally lead to fast-paced close-quarters battles.“

“We want to open a new page in WWII combat simulations,” said Matt Wagner of Eagle Dynamics. “At the same time we strive to recapture everything that made the flight simulations of the past great, starting with a thick spiral-bound manual and comprehensive training, and ending with great free-for-all multiplayer. We want to keep creating the content that we enjoy creating and that our fans enjoy playing for years to come.”
The team intends for DCS WWII: Europe 1944 to act as the forerunner of a long-running DCS WWII simulation series covering all theaters of WWII, and expanding into other nearby conflicts, such as the Korean War.

In addition to industry-leading attention to detail, incredible graphics, unparalleled flight dynamics, and award-winning multiplayer, DCS WWII: Europe 1944 will also shop with an innovative distribution model. As the last major release in the DCS line, DCS World, DCS WWII will also be distributed via a free-to-play model. The full-featured core game will be available as a free download, allowing anyone to check out the game and its features. Additional modules containing new aircraft or new gameplay areas will be available as a separate purchase.

The free-to-play model allows a wider audience access the core game by, in essence, offering a free demo that allows anyone to try the game before they buy it. At the same time, the model accurately reflects immense development costs attached to historically accurate study sims.

The Kickstarter campaign for the title will launch on September 5th.

About RRG Studios

RRG Studios brings over 10 years of experience with WWII flight simulations to the table. Staffed with flight sim veterans that worked on the greatest WWII flight sim series of the 21st century, we literally wrote the book on the new generation of flight sims.

About Eagle Dynamics

Eagle Dynamics is the studio responsible for the biggest modern aviation sims of the past twenty years. In-house experts have industry-best experience with physics, avionics, ballistics, and all other components that go into making a successful flight simulation. Eagle Dynamics continues to redefine the genre and continuously sets the bar high with each new release.

About the Fighter Collection

The Fighter Collection is the company that manages Eagle Dynamics. It is based in Cambridge, England, and it operates Europe’s largest fleet of airworthy WWII aircraft. The Fighter Collection runs the annual Flying Legends airshow, giving us unprecedented access to the aircraft we simulate.

More News to the Front
#3830323 - 09/01/13 06:58 PM Re: DCS WWII: Europe 1944 [Re: Silver_Dragon]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
Luthier...hmmm.

I was not really happy with Pacific Fighters and CloD so my enthusiasm is a bit... cautious.

Will take a look at the kickstarter site when it does live and then decide whether to support this or not.

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#3830338 - 09/01/13 07:40 PM Re: DCS WWII: Europe 1944 [Re: Silver_Dragon]  
Silver_Dragon Offline
Silver_Dragon  Offline

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1855106&postcount=521
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
Re-read it.

DCS World is the core for all the DCS modules at the current moment. DCS: WWII will be another standalone core with the WWII modules and terrain. However, the content for both could be ported to each one like Luthier said. You could bring a B-17 over to DCSW or put an A-10 into DCSWWII if you so wished.

Correct

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1855109&postcount=523
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=MadCat=- View Post
So all the high detailed additions to DCS:WWII will still be available to plug into DCS:W if one so desires.
Sounds great, as I shortly wondered if the Dora might be the last WWII addition we see to DCS:W.

Great times lie ahead

Greetings
MadCat

Correct

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1855126&postcount=532
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobek View Post
So what will then actually be the difference between WWII and World?

Time period. We figured it'd be a little weird to have A-10C strafing Panzers over Calais, or B-17s bombing modern-day Crimea.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkmater View Post
Yeah I thought the whole idea of world was to have one platform, that continually builds upon itself. Worlds not that old and already its being cut into parts and pieces.

Hopefully, AI advances and graphic advances are shared. Again the pure benefit of a single platform is the common advancement of all things connected to it.
It is a shared platform. There really isn't two separate branches of it from a development point of view, just end-user.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRed View Post
cant wait for the kickstarter video...does a ETA already exist?

September 5th. We have a whole series of videos, interviews, etc.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1855144&postcount=540
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyTheLung View Post
Can't wait for more info on the initial WWII terrain. One big map? Or a bunch of mid sized maps? Either way, awesome!

We'll see how well we do with kickstarter. Core game will have one large Normandy terrain. If we hit stretch goals, we'll have more maps.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cichlidfan View Post
I would imagine that will depend on the success of the Kickstarter.

Right. Less than a year from now, or a bit more time if we hit stretch goals.

Last edited by Silver_Dragon; 09/01/13 07:40 PM.

More News to the Front
#3830345 - 09/01/13 07:48 PM Re: DCS WWII: Europe 1944 [Re: Silver_Dragon]  
SlipBall Offline
disillusioned
SlipBall  Offline
disillusioned

East Coast U.S.A.
Could be real good or...but we know that already

Post composed with speech to text, it woks grape!

Clod
OEM screenshots & videos of Eu release..So I fly the original game because I am a off-liner and the game's AI was broken after the last good patch, game version 1.0.13954
GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
#3830383 - 09/01/13 09:17 PM Re: DCS WWII: Europe 1944 [Re: Silver_Dragon]  
Silver_Dragon Offline
Silver_Dragon  Offline

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1855435&postcount=642
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_D View Post
One question I think this might be sort of important..will we be allowed to place runways and camps into the mission editor..of our choice..meaning place remote airfields..and so on..let's say in my case allow to insert a " Ramitelli " airbase in Italy...just wondering...

We're not planning any changes to the mission editor for DCS WWII specifically.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Dragon View Post
Other question. That product wil have a "free" base with DCS: World or need paid for them with the new theater?

The free base for DCS WWII will contain several flyable aircraft. The exact set depends on whether we hit Kickstarter stretch goals.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinkill View Post
1. Is the kickstarter funding needed to fund the basic game, or just the extended content?

We can probably finish the basic game without the kickstarter, but it'll be a little less of everything, especially on the ground.

Basic kickstarter funding we're looking for will allow us to comfortably do everything we wish to do and have all the time that we need, which is the luxury I personally have never had in my entire career.

Quote:
Quote:
2. What will be included in the free to pay version, versus the paid content?

Depends on stretch goals. We'll have the complete list published on the 5th.

Quote:
Quote:
3. The emphasis on online play is clear, and the AI ambition also sounds encouraging, will the game feature the usual high quality DCS campaign style and structure? Will there be a campaign for each aircraft, or one campaign in which the user can fly multiple aircraft types?

There is no emphasis on online play! I myself am actually a primarily offline player. We are definitely planning extensive single-player with comprehensive, historical campaigns. There will be at least one campaign for each flyable aircraft in all stretch goals.

Quote:
Quote:
4. The aircraft listed are the flyable aircraft?

The B-17 and Me.262 are not flyable in the basic version.

Quote:
Quote:
5. Are there any non flyable AI only aircraft planned alongside these?

Yup.

Quote:
Quote:
6. Usual questions about the flyable bombers - will the crew positions be mannable, will players be able to play a coop mission where they man different crew stations on the same aircraft?

Flyable bombers only show up in stretch goals. We are planning everything you're asking for.

Quote:
Quote:
7. I know you would be very wary of setting a target date, but as this sim builds on the existing DCS World platform, it can't be five years into the future...any hints on a target release date?

Less than a year for the core game; a little more if we hit stretch goals.

Quote:
Quote:
8. Do people who contribute to the kickstarter funding get any considerations regarding premium status eg early access to beta, access to special content, special status online etc

Yes, yes, and yes. Depending on your contribution level you may even directly contribute to in-game content, such as paintschemes, pilot appearance, etc.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo38 View Post
Hmm. That implies that one of the aircraft would be free ... else it would be "free to watch" rather than "free to play."

There will be several flyable aircraft in the free version.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfy1967 View Post
I`ll put cash into this a:when it works straight out of the box and b:when it contains everything stated on the box, my memory is capable of remembering Pacific Fighters and CloD which was dumped on an unsuspecting community in a clearly un-finished state.

So Mr Shevchenko what assurances can you give the community that this new project isn`t going to be a dud????

The reason we are doing a kickstarter is precisely this. I have never once in my career had enough time and money to develop the project as I wanted it. It was always a - "I need X dollars and Y months to build this." "OK, we'll give you 0.7X and Y-6 months, and if you don't do everything plus a few extra features, we're shutting you down."

I did not enjoy that, the team did not enjoy that, and the fans did not enjoy that.

I have absolutely no desire to go down that road again. I swore off flight sims altogether after the last fiasco. The fact that I am back means that I am hoping to turn a new page.

If you are asking for assurances though, of course I can't offer anything but words at this point. The initial release will be available free of charge though, so I really do not see what you have to lose when you try it out. Conversely, I see absolutely no reason to release a broken game for free, thus making no money initially and losing any chance of making any in the future.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
This is exciting news. Is this the end of Eagle Dynamics in house WW2 aircraft however? I was kind of hoping we'd at least get an Spitfire MK: 9 and an ME-109 to the same standard as the P51?

We have a symbiotic relationship with ED. In any case, final quality check is on them, not us. You should know them well enough to rest assured that they won't allow anyone to besmirch the DCS name with an inferior product.

More News to the Front
#3830436 - 09/01/13 11:40 PM Re: DCS WWII: Europe 1944 [Re: Silver_Dragon]  
Trooper117 Online smile
Hotshot
Trooper117  Online Smile
Hotshot

UK
I'll be watching this with some genuine interest.

1. You can't have enough WWII flight sim games.
2. It will be British/American/Luftwaffe.
3. It will make a change from the Russian Front.
4. If it has a Med/North Africa setting I'll be on it forever, lol!

#3830445 - 09/02/13 12:01 AM Re: DCS WWII: Europe 1944 [Re: Silver_Dragon]  
strider21 Offline
strider21  Offline

Halifax,NS
I am excited. A new western front flight sim does not come along all that often.

Last edited by strider21; 09/02/13 12:02 AM.
#3830485 - 09/02/13 03:28 AM Re: DCS WWII: Europe 1944 [Re: Silver_Dragon]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Must be good, all discussion on it is already banned on 777 forums!

H

[Linked Image]
#3830527 - 09/02/13 05:40 AM Re: DCS WWII: Europe 1944 [Re: Silver_Dragon]  
W1ndy Offline
W1ndy  Offline

Sign me up. The more the merrier. 1944 will offer different machines than will be in BoS, I suppose not being an expert.

Last edited by W1ndy; 09/02/13 06:02 AM.
#3830554 - 09/02/13 08:41 AM Re: DCS WWII: Europe 1944 [Re: Silver_Dragon]  
SAPPER Offline
SAPPER  Offline

Portugal
777 Forums can be really... well anal really. The ban on freetrack discussion comes to mind.

#3830558 - 09/02/13 09:06 AM Re: DCS WWII: Europe 1944 [Re: Silver_Dragon]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

Interesting times...

Its a ambitious project, announced with Luthier's usual style smile

If he can pull it off then it should be very good, though after watching the P51 start up vid im not sure im that hardcore...lol.

We will see, deff going to wait before putting any money into it.

Last edited by BKHZ_Furbs; 09/02/13 09:31 AM.
#3830563 - 09/02/13 09:26 AM Re: DCS WWII: Europe 1944 [Re: HeinKill]  
Trooper117 Online smile
Hotshot
Trooper117  Online Smile
Hotshot

UK
Originally Posted By: HeinKill
Must be good, all discussion on it is already banned on 777 forums!

H

Yes, it was being discussed in the 'Free subject' area.. I think there is a chink in the BoS armour that they don't want exploited.
A lot of flight simmers are die hard fans of the European side of the WWII air war, and would jump at the chance to fly a credible new sim in that area.
The thing is, most fans would buy both products if they are good, and that is only to be commended to help expand the genre.
Not sure why Developers don't see it that way, unless of course it's all about profit, which is wholely understandable by the way smile

#3830569 - 09/02/13 09:46 AM Re: DCS WWII: Europe 1944 [Re: Silver_Dragon]  
FlashHeart Offline
Old fart
FlashHeart  Offline
Old fart

52°56'N 0°02'W (UK)
"Legendary flight simulation designers" ?

How good of them to think so.

Notice how it's the "Europe 1944" yet we again see only one British aircraft invovlved. Then we get P-47, P-51, P-38 and B-17.

I'm not interested in buying any more US aircraft, I've got dozens from over the years, mostly repeats of previous iterations, and I certainly won't touch the Third Reich stuff, so this one can sail right on by without stopping.

btw guys, I'm not anti-US at all - just getting fed up of the same old same old

Last edited by FlashHeart; 09/02/13 10:31 AM.

"The way you keep forgeting things, you'd think you'd remember"
- my wife
#3830584 - 09/02/13 11:09 AM Re: DCS WWII: Europe 1944 [Re: Silver_Dragon]  
bogusheadbox Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke
bogusheadbox  Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke

Well its interesting and disheartening at the same time.

Making 2 separate products (2 dcs worlds) is a little short sited.

IMO it should be left as one world, where the mission designer chooses the terrain/theatre then sets the available aircraft.

That way you can have accurate missions or if the user wants, you can have crazy missions with a host of different time period a/c. for instance, those that want to do fly-ins would love to turn up in radically different aircraft. Think of the money this could generate by people seeing in game a different aircraft and say.. "Hay that looks nice, how is it, how does it handle, ok I may buy that."

To have the two (DCS W and DCS WW2) as separate products means that one of the two DCS worlds can technically fall behind and possibly be subject to less development due to the lack of income generated.

If its kept as a whole, everyone can have what they want and it will be the replacement for other flight sims. The mission designers can stipulate what they want and that should be the only limitation.

We have already had enough hassles with the lateness of the Nevada terrain, the extreme length in between release of flyables, the Black shark 2 debacle.

My mind can already think of the problems involved with having DCS WW2, DCS world, DCS Vietnam, DCS Ground combat, DCS traffic controller......... as as separate entities and the costs involved in porting over aircraft and what nots.

Fighterops...

The only TRUE Stealth crowd funded game.

Devs said there was stuff there, but you just couldn't see it.
#3830587 - 09/02/13 11:17 AM Re: DCS WWII: Europe 1944 [Re: Silver_Dragon]  
saf1 Offline
saf1  Offline

Denmark/Sweden
Really interesting project. Think it's about time that DCS P-51 customers will be able to use their DCS P-51 in an environment that should be incorporated from the start.

The other aircraft mentioned in the announcement also looks interesting - most important though, is to se how the map environment will run om peoples equipment, when released.

Now there is an opportunity for the P-51 to do something in its right element and therefore I also hope that RRG do not go into the trap by, shooting at too high goals in the start up phase, however, remains on the ground, thinking about development time and money.

Together with the community they "RRG" will be able to add elements (game vice and environmental vice) to the project bit by bit, without jeopardising the project, with too high development cost, development time and too high ambitions.

I wish them luck and hope the community dont have to wait too long and most important - keep us updated.

Up there the world is divided into bastards and suckers. Make your choice. Derek Robinson, Piece of Cake, 1983. Sådan er det bare.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, ASUS Motherboard P9X79 Pro, Seagate Baracuda Green 2TB SATA 3.0, DCZ SSD Agility 3 Series 2.6 120GB, HD7950 3GB GDDR5 PCI-E, Corsair XMS3 1600Hz 8GB Vengeance CL9, INTEL Liquid Cooling LGA1155 - LGA2011, INTEL LGA2011 Core I7 3.6Ghz - 3820, Silver Power SP - SS850 850W PSU, 24" Benq HDMI LED Monitor
#3830588 - 09/02/13 11:20 AM Re: DCS WWII: Europe 1944 [Re: Silver_Dragon]  
Trooper117 Online smile
Hotshot
Trooper117  Online Smile
Hotshot

UK
Well, lets not negativity get in the way before the thing is even produced, give it a chance to prove whether it's viable or not.
The funny thing is, any new sim seems to get the same negative attitudes rising up. Just look at BoS... when that was announced, we had the doom and gloomers yelling that 'RoF was finished', 777 won't be able to do both, gnashing of teeth etc, but in reality, it's anything but. RoF is still continuing with its output and patches regardless.

#3830593 - 09/02/13 11:38 AM Re: DCS WWII: Europe 1944 [Re: Silver_Dragon]  
Georgio Offline
Georgio  Offline

Hockley, UK
If it's Normandy then any sim worth it's salt has to have Typhoon action as an absolute minimum to be credible; these aircraft made the Axis life in France very miserable.

#3830594 - 09/02/13 11:38 AM Re: DCS WWII: Europe 1944 [Re: Silver_Dragon]  
bogusheadbox Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke
bogusheadbox  Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke

its not about doom and gloom for me, far from it.

But I would prefer that DCS world stayed as DCS world. NOT DCS world 1, world 2, world 3.... etc. I can see many many many problems that can arise from this.

DCS world was created for one purpose. That is one world where all aircraft a simply just purchasable addons to be done with as the mission designer desires.

Making multiple worlds immediately nullifies this (which was the core of the DCS design).

What other changes to DCS world will we see?

------------

Lets take one example.

DCS WW2 does really well (it should there is a bucket load of WW2 fans out there). A load of 3rd party devolopers realise the money is at the DCS WW2 world and move there. Content for standard DCS world slows. With the slowing of content naturally comes the slowing of development until normal DCS will be secondary product .

Not that this WILL happen of course, its just a possibility. But if its all kept under one banner, that will mean that DCS means quality for all, means one world not many. means if I buy DCS Cessna, I will be able to fly alongside all other aircraft if I want without worrying about which world I will fall into.

I don't want to have to worry about DCS WW2 has better development that DCS world etc.. I just want all this fantastic content (with the new engine which is badly needed) to be happy under the one banner.

Last edited by bogusheadbox; 09/02/13 11:45 AM.

Fighterops...

The only TRUE Stealth crowd funded game.

Devs said there was stuff there, but you just couldn't see it.
#3830600 - 09/02/13 11:58 AM Re: DCS WWII: Europe 1944 [Re: Silver_Dragon]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
Didn't Luthier write that both versions will be possible, a merged one and a standalone version?

I'd personally prefer a single DCS world. That's the beauty of the whole thing.

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#3830602 - 09/02/13 12:07 PM Re: DCS WWII: Europe 1944 [Re: Silver_Dragon]  
saf1 Offline
saf1  Offline

Denmark/Sweden
It undoubtedly gives DCS two football fields to play on, when it comes to development of modules, which I think has been a contributory factor when you consider the cooperation between the two.

Up there the world is divided into bastards and suckers. Make your choice. Derek Robinson, Piece of Cake, 1983. Sådan er det bare.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, ASUS Motherboard P9X79 Pro, Seagate Baracuda Green 2TB SATA 3.0, DCZ SSD Agility 3 Series 2.6 120GB, HD7950 3GB GDDR5 PCI-E, Corsair XMS3 1600Hz 8GB Vengeance CL9, INTEL Liquid Cooling LGA1155 - LGA2011, INTEL LGA2011 Core I7 3.6Ghz - 3820, Silver Power SP - SS850 850W PSU, 24" Benq HDMI LED Monitor
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.