Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#3827578 - 08/26/13 06:44 PM The most comprehensive representation of racial distribution in America ever made.  
Desert Eagle Offline
Master of the Weird
Desert Eagle  Offline
Master of the Weird
Veteran

Portugal
http://www.wired.com/design/2013/08/how-...#slideid-210281

Fascinating on how some places the divide is so clear, like Detroit for example.

2010-oo All Your rights belong to Me

By reading this You acknowledge that Your body and soul, including all your worldly possessions, are now property of this poster. Any unauthorized use of them will be punished.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3827594 - 08/26/13 07:16 PM Re: The most comprehensive representation of racial distribution in America ever made. [Re: Desert Eagle]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
My first serious complaint about that map:

Latino is NOT a race. Latino/Hispanic simply refers to someone from a Spanish speaking country or somene who has parents that came from Spanish speaking countries. There are white Latinos, black Latinos, Asian Latinos, etc.

Ugh.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3827598 - 08/26/13 07:20 PM Re: The most comprehensive representation of racial distribution in America ever made. [Re: Desert Eagle]  
Wireman Offline
Lurker Extraordinaire
Wireman  Offline
Lurker Extraordinaire
Hotshot

The First State, USA
In the past, most forms and applications had Hispanic as a race. So, not too hard to accept the Latino carryover.

#3827600 - 08/26/13 07:22 PM Re: The most comprehensive representation of racial distribution in America ever made. [Re: Desert Eagle]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
It's still an erroneous classification. It would be like saying Jewish is a race.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3827617 - 08/26/13 08:10 PM Re: The most comprehensive representation of racial distribution in America ever made. [Re: Desert Eagle]  
Wireman Offline
Lurker Extraordinaire
Wireman  Offline
Lurker Extraordinaire
Hotshot

The First State, USA
And yet, that was done on the same forms. duck

#3827642 - 08/26/13 09:22 PM Re: The most comprehensive representation of racial distribution in America ever made. [Re: Desert Eagle]  
Kontakt5 Offline
Hotshot
Kontakt5  Offline
Hotshot

Many anthropologists argue that race is an arbitrary classification anyway, it's more accurate to describe classifications according to language families. Panzer is right- Jewish is not a race. However, it's presumably more convenient for some reason or another for people to classify themselves or others into racial categories.

No one gets out of here alive.

#3827662 - 08/26/13 10:03 PM Re: The most comprehensive representation of racial distribution in America ever made. [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
letterboy1 Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
letterboy1  Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Latino is NOT a race. Latino/Hispanic simply refers to someone from a Spanish speaking country or somene who has parents that came from Spanish speaking countries. There are white Latinos, black Latinos, Asian Latinos, etc.

Ugh.

Colbert used the word "truthiness" before on his show and it perfectly describes the conflict between what is linguistically correct and what is commonly accepted.

For example, the word "racist" used to have a specific definition, but because of the often convenient method of rounding off to the nearest true sounding word, we change the words and meanings on the fly and they get accepted due to popular vote. Now any comment that is remotely related to race is deemed "racist."

To go against this phenomenon is to joust windmills. What a racket; we get taught proper grammar, syntax, vocabulary and so forth and then we watch it get sodomized right in front of us just when we learned to revere it.

The issue is not p*ssy. The issue is monkey.
#3827682 - 08/26/13 11:06 PM Re: The most comprehensive representation of racial distribution in America ever made. [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
WileECoyote Offline
WileECoyote  Offline

Argentina

Ugh.

Well, yeah... I mean, I certainly don't look like the typical portray of Latino, which is usually a Mexican "Pancho Villa style" smile

But I can understand the confusion, years of the same image combined with the majority of people not traveling to these countries generate that. I still find every day people thinking that South Africa is all black people, when in reality there are 8% of whites, and the whitest kind of white: blond hear and blue eyes. Like this cutie. woot

When you're feeling sad, just remember that somewhere in the world, there's someone pushing a door that says "pull".
#3827786 - 08/27/13 05:26 AM Re: The most comprehensive representation of racial distribution in America ever made. [Re: Desert Eagle]  
777 Studios - Jason Offline
777 Studios - Jason  Offline

Southern California or Moscow
When I look at the map for SoCal I can tell if the Asian population is Vietnamese or Chinese simply based on the neighborhood although they are the same color on the map. Also, in CA it is folks of Mexican descent mainly and in South Florida it is Cubans and in New York it is probably Puerto Ricans. The map is only making broad lumps.

Jason

#3827838 - 08/27/13 11:10 AM Re: The most comprehensive representation of racial distribution in America ever made. [Re: 777 Studios - Jason]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: 777 Studios - Jason
When I look at the map for SoCal I can tell if the Asian population is Vietnamese or Chinese simply based on the neighborhood although they are the same color on the map. Also, in CA it is folks of Mexican descent mainly and in South Florida it is Cubans and in New York it is probably Puerto Ricans. The map is only making broad lumps.

Jason
I believe Orange, CA has a major Vietnamese community there.

#3827844 - 08/27/13 11:27 AM Re: The most comprehensive representation of racial distribution in America ever made. [Re: 777 Studios - Jason]  
Bearcat99 Offline
Bearcat99  Offline

USA
Ugh.

This is true.. and as quiet as it is kept .. most Latinos in the Americas are primarily of Native descent ... in the Carribean it is mostly European and African as most of the natives in the Carribean were exterminated. Most Mexicans/Central Americans are of Aztek descent, South Americans are largely of Incan and Mayan descent with European, African and East Indian sprinkled in there.

Jason

Nerw York is a mixed bag when it comes to Latinos.. The Bronx and upper Manhattan is largely Perto Rican and Dominican .. Queens has a large Columbian population .. and other Spanish speaking nationalities are liberally spread throughout the city.

Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.
#3827865 - 08/27/13 12:32 PM Re: The most comprehensive representation of racial distribution in America ever made. [Re: Desert Eagle]  
No105_Archie Offline
No105_Archie  Offline

Veteran

N. Atlantic east of Canada
Interseting stuff; but I do agree with Panzer. Calling Latino a 'race' is like calling British a race. How would folks react if we divided up a city or state into the places where the people came from the British Isles vs the places where the people came from Scandanavia ??

Once upon a time we segregated the Englsih from the Irish from the Italians

Using this logic: is a Chinese person of a different 'race' than a Japanese person ?

All my folks for at least 400 years have come from SW Engalnd and N Ireland. Am I therefore a different 'race' from a person whose ancestors came from Switzerland for the last 400 years ?

Archie Smythe

carpe diem
#3827900 - 08/27/13 02:21 PM Re: The most comprehensive representation of racial distribution in America ever made. [Re: Desert Eagle]  
Wireman Offline
Lurker Extraordinaire
Wireman  Offline
Lurker Extraordinaire
Hotshot

The First State, USA
Those are good questions Archie. Perhaps someone should have asked them a few generations back before the U.S. Government started putting them on their various forms.

#3827908 - 08/27/13 02:33 PM Re: The most comprehensive representation of racial distribution in America ever made. [Re: Desert Eagle]  
No105_Archie Offline
No105_Archie  Offline

Veteran

Are you saying that US government forms actually ask what "race" you are ? You would get in heaps of trouble for asking that on a form up here. Race, religion, sexual preference, etc are all considered private info.

Archie Smythe

carpe diem
#3827914 - 08/27/13 02:44 PM Re: The most comprehensive representation of racial distribution in America ever made. [Re: Desert Eagle]  
Wireman Offline
Lurker Extraordinaire
Wireman  Offline
Lurker Extraordinaire
Hotshot

The First State, USA
That is what I'm saying. I always pick a different one to confuse them when they collate my forms. The last one was "Other" with the "Subterranean Lizard Person" as my answer.

#3827925 - 08/27/13 03:17 PM Re: The most comprehensive representation of racial distribution in America ever made. [Re: No105_Archie]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Originally Posted By: No105_Archie
Are you saying that US government forms actually ask what "race" you are ? You would get in heaps of trouble for asking that on a form up here. Race, religion, sexual preference, etc are all considered private info.

Don't you have to answer those on the Census form Archie?

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#3828042 - 08/27/13 06:33 PM Re: The most comprehensive representation of racial distribution in America ever made. [Re: KraziKanuK]  
Fitz505 Offline
Fitz505  Offline

Upstate NY
In the US, it has a lot to do with various Federal and State affirmative action programs, education equality programs, etc., all based on race, gender and probably how many toes you have on each foot. Before I replied, I did a quick Google search and then decided I didn't want to spend the next hour typing in all the Federal and State programs that use race and gender as qualifying issues.

#3828050 - 08/27/13 06:52 PM Re: The most comprehensive representation of racial distribution in America ever made. [Re: Desert Eagle]  
No105_Archie Offline
No105_Archie  Offline

Veteran

Quote:
Don't you have to answer those on the Census form Archie

That's a good question. I really can't remember if it was there or not. .....besides, didn't our illustrious federal gov't make the whole excercise optional a few years back ?

I do some IT work for the province and I know that they won't ask about race , religion etc on applications for housing or welfare or any sort of permit. The healthcare will give you an optional question on religion if you want some sort of cleric to visit you in hospital.

Archie Smythe

carpe diem
#3828053 - 08/27/13 06:58 PM Re: The most comprehensive representation of racial distribution in America ever made. [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
777 Studios - Jason Offline
777 Studios - Jason  Offline

Southern California or Moscow

Jason
I believe Orange, CA has a major Vietnamese community there.

Westminster, CA near Orange and just across the 405 Frwy. from Huntington Beach is called Little Saigon.

Jason

#3828163 - 08/28/13 12:12 AM Re: The most comprehensive representation of racial distribution in America ever made. [Re: 777 Studios - Jason]  
VonBarb. Offline
Earth-bound misfit
VonBarb.  Offline
Earth-bound misfit
Hotshot

The Dust,Pandora

Jason

Not to mention folks of Middle Eastern descent together with Native Americans under "Other". How is that going to be useable for statistics ?

Cheers

Nico

"Et s'il ne pleure personne, que Dieu nous le pardonne "

ArmA2/OA - RoF - FSX

ASUS P8P67 Pro Motherboard - Intel i5 2500K @ 3.3Ghz - 8Gb G-Skill DDR3 1866Mhz - Gainward GTX660 Ti Phantom II - Win7 Ultimate 64bits - Saitek av8r
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.