Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3827284 - 08/26/13 03:44 AM So what do you bring to work?  
Falcon Six Two Offline
Resident BAMF
Falcon Six Two  Offline
Resident BAMF

NJ
Hello all,

After a brief hiatus, I'm back. Somewhat. Those of you who've been around for longer than 5 minutes should recognize me.

Anyway, before I dive into this thread (keeping in line with my habit of posting about everything but simulations), I'll update everyone on my current lot in life. I left the Corps with an honorable discharge back in May of 2012 after four fruitful years being part of Uncle Sam's Motorcycle Club. I somehow managed to leave without a motorcycle endorsement on my license. Go figure. Did two tours to Afghanistan, got the t shirts, poker chips, ninja stars, and flasks. Escaped physically unscathed. Currently fighting the VA (but what else is new) for disability. Still have awful survivors guilt. But it's getting better. Made it into Time Magazine while I was at it somehow.

Prior to my enlistment in the Corps, I was a volunteer EMT. Throughout my time on active duty, I maintained my certification and I've been working as a paid EMT since July of last year. At the beginning of this summer, I was offered a full time position at one of my jobs, and currently work a 4 on, 4 off schedule in line with the police department in town (EMS chief is a retired Police Lt. Go figure). The catch is, on my 4 days off, I work my 3 other part time EMS jobs. EMS doesn't pay diddly squat, but I make enough to get by.

In the springtime I'm going to begin processing with the police department in the town I work full time for. So I figure by the time I'm hired, I'll have been discharged 2 years. That's actually not a bad wait time to get into a law enforcement job. And if Magnum is still around, he'll be the first one to know. God knows I've pestered him relentlessly through the years about being the po-po.

In October of this year, it will have been 10 years since I joined at the tender age of 13. My birthday is actually in August, but I was too lazy to sign up the day I turned the big one three. It's hard to believe that it's been ten years I've been posting on this forum. It's almost like I've grown up here. I got some of the best advice in the world about women and life in general from RS_Colonel31st (is he still here?), shan2, pfunk, 20mm, guod, Panzer, Sauron, 531_Ghost and countless others on these forums. It goes without saying that the forums have helped me become who I am today, in a sick, twisted sort of way. It's really amazing just how far technology can go to touch someone. A very belated thank you to all is in order.

So in short: I just turned 23 a few weeks ago. I have a lovely girlfriend of 3 years who I'll be proposing to as soon as I get hired as a cop (I'll actually be able to afford it then). I'm lucky in the fact that I have not one, but four jobs, and instead of hurting for work, I'm hurting for days off. I make enough to pay my bills, put money away for a house, put money away for the sake of putting money away, and still have some discretionary funds. I manage to pay all my bills on time, my credit score is 740something, and I can finally grow my hair again. It's been 10 years since I've been a member and I can't believe time flies that quick. Life isn't all that bad.

Anyway enough with the sappy #%&*$#. My question for everyone today is, what do you bring to work with you? Obviously this is dependent on your job, so feel free to chime in. I'm looking for ideas to make my work life easier. Unlike some EMS systems in my area, I'm not required to post at a location and I can just respond to assignments from whatever building I'm in (firehouse or squad building). However, because there have been times where I've been unable to return to the building for an extended period due to calls, etc, I've put together a bag of sorts (I've come into possession of 20-30 gear bags through the course of my military and EMS career. I bet I don't have as many as Magnum though, pretty sure he has a K-9).

I have 3 I generally bring to work (4 if a night shift).

The first is a small bag that I keep various little things in. I had it during Hurricane Sandy and it was priceless. It's configured as an Urban SAR (search and rescue) bag that is always with me at work. I threw a SOG Tomahawk in there during the storm, in case we had to break things to get to people who were trapped.

Bag 1

550 cord - few hundred feet
10 Ft of 1 inch tubular webbing (used w/ carabiners for improvised harness/rescue device)
4 rubber door stops
1 roll of blue flagging tape (used for marking locations or triage)
1 Wide Tip Sharpie (marking)
2 Carabiners (link to webbing for improvised anchoring/self rescue/extraction)
1 Zak Tool spring loaded window punch (very handy)
1 SOG Tomahawk
1 Boonie Cover (from Uncle Sam)
1 Balaclava
2 Pairs gloves (Mechanix/Oakley)
Extra batteries for everything
1 Headlamp
1 Gerber CLS knife
1 Knife Sharpener
1 Gerber Multitool
Few sets of ear plugs
Notepad/pen
1 Reflective Glow belt (same one that sells at the PX)
1 Cellphone charger
1 Shemagh
Few cheapo LED flashlights from Harbor Freight
Few cheapo headlamps from Harbor Freight

These are things that get added as needed during an actual operation
Extra radio batteries
Food/water source (CLIF bars/water bottles)
Maps of area being searched

What I'd like to add

Stanley FUBAR tool (I can't find any of these anywhere)

As you can see, it's easy to figure out why I have what I have in the bag. I have tools to gain access to structures, ways to mark locations already searched for victims/survivors, light sources (in addition to those on my person already), reflective items to make my location known if needed, prop doors open, etc.

As an aside, the above can easily be converted to an active shooter/war/delpoyment/perimeter bag for LE with the addition of extra rifle/handgun mags, shells, flex cuffs, maybe some OC for those so inclined, etc. I notice that lots of folks have a bag setup for ass whooping, but I strongly suggest building a SAR kit, especially for those who live in earthquake or flood prone areas. Those people you may be searching for and attempting to rescue may be your family. Food for thought.

The second bag is in case I get held over. It's got shower stuff, extra boots, socks, toiletries, and uniform items. It generally stays in my vehicle and I only grab it when necessary.

Bag 2

The third bag is actually super boring. It's my old issued USMC day pack. I use it to tote my laptop around. I've attached a survival kit and other #%&*$# to it to make more useful if needed.

Bag 3

The fourth bag (only for nights) contains my sleeping gear. It consists of a pillow, flat sheet, blanket, basketball shorts, and a spare wall charger for my cell. It also has various issues of those Real Estate magazines that have listings and pictures and all that nonsense for looking at houses, because I'm domesticated now.

Bag 4

I also have a police style patrol bag. The gigantic kind that Magnum may have had riding shotgun at some point. I kept clipboards, reference material, some books, extra radio mics, pens, and other misc. nonsense in there. That generally also stays in my personal vehicle unless I need something out of there. So the only two bags I really bring in are the small bag, and the backpack.

Patrol Bag

I have a myriad of other bags like I said, but I'm still trying to find use for all of them. I was a bit of a gear queer in the Corps, so I have an insane amount of stuff, and that's after I've given some away to other cops and emergency workers. It's almost like the Doomsday Preppers version of Hoarders (TV show), minus the unsanitary conditions and code violations.

So, what do you all bring to work, and why? What do you carry it in?

-Justin

Last edited by Falcon Six Two; 08/26/13 04:02 AM.

Celeritas, Impetus, Violentia
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3827291 - 08/26/13 03:55 AM Re: So what do you bring to work? [Re: Falcon Six Two]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
It's great to hear from you Justin. I hope you get that LEO career soon and thank you for serving our great country.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3827292 - 08/26/13 03:58 AM Re: So what do you bring to work? [Re: Falcon Six Two]  
Falcon Six Two Offline
Resident BAMF
Falcon Six Two  Offline
Resident BAMF

NJ
It paid the bills man. There's definitely worse jobs out there. But thanks!

#3827294 - 08/26/13 04:08 AM Re: So what do you bring to work? [Re: Falcon Six Two]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

About 40lbs more than I should be bringing. Man, I need to get back into shape!

#3827299 - 08/26/13 04:47 AM Re: So what do you bring to work? [Re: Falcon Six Two]  
oldgrognard Online content
Administrator
oldgrognard  Online Content
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Just my sunny loving disposition.

eBay has a large selection of those Stanley Fubars.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#3827301 - 08/26/13 05:09 AM Re: So what do you bring to work? [Re: Falcon Six Two]  
Falcon Six Two Offline
Resident BAMF
Falcon Six Two  Offline
Resident BAMF

NJ
Thanks. I feel like Tim Allen in Tool Time whenever I go online shopping.

#3827305 - 08/26/13 05:45 AM Re: So what do you bring to work? [Re: Falcon Six Two]  
oldgrognard Online content
Administrator
oldgrognard  Online Content
Administrator
Lifer

USA
But there are some good variations on it as well as some decent prices.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#3827323 - 08/26/13 07:31 AM Re: So what do you bring to work? [Re: Falcon Six Two]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
I remember seeing your photos from your training. Time flies glad you're out safe and sound.

Just waterproofs as I cycle to work, spare inner tubes, tools for bike and most importantly my sandwiches smile

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle
#3827327 - 08/26/13 07:52 AM Re: So what do you bring to work? [Re: Falcon Six Two]  
Apocalypse31 Offline
Apocalypse31  Offline

FOr work, I normally roll with the coyote brown assault pack. It can fit my uniform, boots, and shower gear - for post-PT. It also has a waterproof/wrinkleproof compartment for paperwork, super useful.

For hiking and cycling I go with a large camelback (the kind that has storage space). I can fit spare pump, food, extra water, signaling equipment, and has a storage compartment for my cell phone (which I normally keep in a waterproof tough-case)

I just got issued the Army Medium Ruck, and I'm liking it. It's large enough to actually fit 3 days of gear into for those 'long weekends'. It has a utility pouch in front with secure storage space for small items.

When I was a platoon leader in 2007, I spent alot of time at a combat outpost in Baghdad, and I would constantly struggle with which bag to bring with me. Back then the Army only had the assault pack, rucksack, and duffle bag. The assault pack was too small, and the latter were too large.

Rangers Lead the Way
#3827335 - 08/26/13 08:39 AM Re: So what do you bring to work? [Re: Falcon Six Two]  
BD-123 Online content
Old Scroat
BD-123  Online Content
Old Scroat

Naunton Beauchamp Worcestershi...
Large mug of tea and a dog (I work from a studio in my garden, semi-retired y'see)

#3827346 - 08/26/13 09:40 AM Re: So what do you bring to work? [Re: Falcon Six Two]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
There are very few things on an online board that truly make me emotional. The fact that I distinctly remember our chat here, the way you shaped your life, that's it been over five years since, and that you still remember that chat also is one of these things. I'm very happy if I have in been in a miniscule part responsible for your transformation from young guy with little vision to the accomplished veteran you are today - you sure grew up fast but that happens in the Motorcycle club I guess.

Very happy to hear you are doing good, and I hope you find a fulltime job that pays all the bills with more sparetime to enjoy the future wife.

What I bring to work is a terribly annoyed face, reserved for the other teams constantly requesting last-minute work on their projects...

#3827347 - 08/26/13 09:42 AM Re: So what do you bring to work? [Re: Falcon Six Two]  
Gopher Offline
Gopher  Offline

Midlands
I travel light, but that's because I have a desk job. A folder which has admin stuff in it, in case I need to refer to work or house details while I'm working (just got a place), a data stick for porting stuff around, a personal umbrella (a must in the UK) and a bottle of water.

In the car, I have a large blanket/mat in the boot, and I rescued two first aid kits at work because the bandages and plasters went out of date (H&S gone mad).

I was tempted to get a winter kit (shovel, some other crap) for the two weeks where it snows, but considering that my work commute is only 4 miles, I'd have to be having a really bad day to need it.

#3827351 - 08/26/13 10:09 AM Re: So what do you bring to work? [Re: Falcon Six Two]  
Lewis-A2A Offline
Tom Thumb
Lewis-A2A  Offline
Tom Thumb

Lowestoft - UK
sandwiches and a tape of 'have you tried turning it off and on again'

#3827356 - 08/26/13 10:28 AM Re: So what do you bring to work? [Re: Apocalypse31]  
Falcon Six Two Offline
Resident BAMF
Falcon Six Two  Offline
Resident BAMF

NJ
Gopher, I highly recommend putting that winter kit in your car. It's worth the one time you'll need it.

Originally Posted By: Apocalypse31
FOr work, I normally roll with the coyote brown assault pack. It can fit my uniform, boots, and shower gear - for post-PT. It also has a waterproof/wrinkleproof compartment for paperwork, super useful.

For hiking and cycling I go with a large camelback (the kind that has storage space). I can fit spare pump, food, extra water, signaling equipment, and has a storage compartment for my cell phone (which I normally keep in a waterproof tough-case)

I just got issued the Army Medium Ruck, and I'm liking it. It's large enough to actually fit 3 days of gear into for those 'long weekends'. It has a utility pouch in front with secure storage space for small items.

When I was a platoon leader in 2007, I spent alot of time at a combat outpost in Baghdad, and I would constantly struggle with which bag to bring with me. Back then the Army only had the assault pack, rucksack, and duffle bag. The assault pack was too small, and the latter were too large.

For my casual hikes (thank goodness for no more humps), I use a CamelBak MULE in CB. Half my #%&*$# is in CB. It's either that, or black. I also have a large ALICE pack that I'm never getting rid of. Best pack I've worn w/ my plate carrier to date. There's no end all be all for bags from what I've found. That's why I have so many smile2

For my last pump, I brought over the CamelBak MULE (left the wire with it 99% of the time) and an older CamelBak Motherlode (they have a weird spelling) I got from my team leader prior to him getting discharged. I only left the wire with that on long missions. The ALICE stayed in the hooch and just held most of my crap.

Are you one of the Batt boys? If so, I'm jealous. You guys get to go to some sweet training. I actually emailed a Ranger recruiter while on my second pump, but when he told me I'd have to do six months in the Big Army before I was eligible to submit a package to go to Regiment, that totally turned me off.

-Justin

#3827357 - 08/26/13 10:29 AM Re: So what do you bring to work? [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Falcon Six Two Offline
Resident BAMF
Falcon Six Two  Offline
Resident BAMF

NJ
Originally Posted By: RSColonel_131st
There are very few things on an online board that truly make me emotional. The fact that I distinctly remember our chat here, the way you shaped your life, that's it been over five years since, and that you still remember that chat also is one of these things. I'm very happy if I have in been in a miniscule part responsible for your transformation from young guy with little vision to the accomplished veteran you are today - you sure grew up fast but that happens in the Motorcycle club I guess.

Very happy to hear you are doing good, and I hope you find a fulltime job that pays all the bills with more sparetime to enjoy the future wife.

What I bring to work is a terribly annoyed face, reserved for the other teams constantly requesting last-minute work on their projects...

Time flies when you're having fun man. Hope all is well.

-Justin

#3827378 - 08/26/13 11:40 AM Re: So what do you bring to work? [Re: Falcon Six Two]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Yep, can't complain myself though it's a time for re-orientation for me this year. No more girlfriend for once.

Actually quite impressive that people as young as 22 have done two tours in that camel place. I'm glad you came back single piece.

#3827386 - 08/26/13 12:28 PM Re: So what do you bring to work? [Re: Falcon Six Two]  
Timothy Offline
Hotshot
Timothy  Offline
Hotshot

Phoenix - Ft. Carson
Body Armor, ACH, Camelbak bottle full of ice tea, maroon beret, and a Kindle (Army is always hurry up and wait).

Keep Calm and Check Canopy

There are no ex-paratroopers, only ones off jump status

Learn Economics at:
http://www.mises.org
Carthago delenda est
#3827391 - 08/26/13 12:32 PM Re: So what do you bring to work? [Re: Falcon Six Two]  
531 Ghost Offline
USMC
531 Ghost  Offline
USMC
Veteran

Elizabeth City NC
Wow, didn't realize any of what I said was all that significant. Good to hear you are doing well in the civilian world. I live my working life by these words: Do what you love, love what you do, or, don't do it. I've never worked a day in my life.

Now, what do I bring to work? A good attitude.

Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

#3827403 - 08/26/13 12:52 PM Re: So what do you bring to work? [Re: Falcon Six Two]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Great post Ghost. Not everyone gets the chance to do what they truly love but it's definitely a goal worth pursuing.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3827414 - 08/26/13 01:25 PM Re: So what do you bring to work? [Re: Falcon Six Two]  
Dervish Offline
Hotshot
Dervish  Offline
Hotshot

I always take my S&W MP9, but I never get to use it.

FTX Global
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.