Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3800153 - 06/21/13 10:13 PM Any folks here shoot bands in dimly lit clubs?  
No Name Offline
Veteran
No Name  Offline
Veteran

I have been lately.

I frequent one club that usually uses red stage lighting. I always ask bands beforehand, and sometimes they request that I not use a flash, and I don't like cranking up ISO too high because it gets noisy.

Do any folks who've shot this sort of thing have suggestions as to white balance settings, and shutter speed?

Here's my gear:

Canon EOS 7D
Canon EF 50mm f1.8 fixed lens

For previous band shoots, I used a Youngnoo YN565EX speedlight and a Gary Fong diffuser dome. I have usually had shutter speed anywhere between 100-160, fstop at 1.8 and ISO between 800-3000 or so, and AWB.

One band also asked that I not get too "up on the stage" (I guess they've had some pushy photographers in the past). I have debated bringing my 28-135mm zoom lens but without flash, I think that wouldn't work due to the low light. What do others think?

The club is pretty small, so it's not like I'm going to be too far away to get some good shots with fixed lens. The club presents a few specific challenges- there's a large monitor that hangs from the ceiling and obscures the top of the performer's head when I shoot from the stairs (which would otherwise offer a great angle), and the spotlights aren't evenly pointed, instead focusing on one spot on stage and leaving the other performers in the dark.

And any good advice in general about shooting bands in dimly lit clubs would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Mobo ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0)
Memory CORSAIR XMS3 8GB DDR3
GPU 2 EVGA 680 FTW 4GB
CPU Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz)
Drives 2 HITACHI Deskstar 3TB 2 Crucial 256 GB SSD Displays 3 HP ZR30w 30" monitors
UPS Cyberpower PP2200SW
PSU Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W
Case COOLER MASTER CM Storm Trooper
Drive LITE-ON Black 12X Blu-ray
CPU cooler Noctua 6 Dual Heatpipe
Fans COOLER MASTER SickleFlow 120
OS Windows 7 Premium
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3802734 - 06/28/13 10:26 PM Re: Any folks here shoot bands in dimly lit clubs? [Re: No Name]  
Aiobhill Offline
Aiobhill  Offline

Have two friends who did this professionally/semi-professionally.

Forget the zoom lens; don't zoom, walk. Bring maximum aperture size lens, 1.8 is good enough, but there is a Canon 50mm 1.2 iirc, that you might be able to lease for a day or two. Also use exactly that aperture, might lead to some vignetting, which is a complete non-issue in this scenario. As for ISO, in doubt go higher. (Too) high ISO means some grainyness which you can correct or at least diminish in post-processing, low ISO means blurred pictures, which you will throw away. White balance is irrelevant if you shoot in RAW, as you can correct any mistakes later.

Depending on how much out of hand - or not - the parties in your club go, you might want to bring something to protect your lens/camera from beer or other undesirable fluids.

#3804928 - 07/04/13 02:06 PM Re: Any folks here shoot bands in dimly lit clubs? [Re: No Name]  
Fracture Offline
Fracture  Offline

Ohio
General rule of thumb, is first 3 no flash. This means you can shoot the first 3 songs of a set and may not use the flash. If you use flash in bigger venues you will most likely never be allowed to shoot there again. Stupid rule, but they take it serious.

Here is shot of mine from a couple years ago. Very little light. Had to time the pulses of the lighting.

50mm|iso-6400|f-1.4|125th

Here is a blog post by Allen Ross Thomas on red lighting

dealing with red light

Hope that helps. smile

#3815839 - 07/29/13 06:55 PM Re: Any folks here shoot bands in dimly lit clubs? [Re: No Name]  
Yojimbo Offline
Yojimbo  Offline

Sunny Dorset, England
Originally Posted By: peppergomez
I have been lately.

I frequent one club that usually uses red stage lighting. I always ask bands beforehand, and sometimes they request that I not use a flash, and I don't like cranking up ISO too high because it gets noisy.

Do any folks who've shot this sort of thing have suggestions as to white balance settings, and shutter speed?

Here's my gear:

Canon EOS 7D
Canon EF 50mm f1.8 fixed lens

you have a 7D push it to ISO12800 and stop pixel peeping smile (and turn off 3rd stop ISO increments - they're no good)

Originally Posted By: peppergomez

For previous band shoots, I used a Youngnoo YN565EX speedlight and a Gary Fong diffuser dome. I have usually had shutter speed anywhere between 100-160, fstop at 1.8 and ISO between 800-3000 or so, and AWB.

One band also asked that I not get too "up on the stage" (I guess they've had some pushy photographers in the past). I have debated bringing my 28-135mm zoom lens but without flash, I think that wouldn't work due to the low light. What do others think?

The club is pretty small, so it's not like I'm going to be too far away to get some good shots with fixed lens. The club presents a few specific challenges- there's a large monitor that hangs from the ceiling and obscures the top of the performer's head when I shoot from the stairs (which would otherwise offer a great angle), and the spotlights aren't evenly pointed, instead focusing on one spot on stage and leaving the other performers in the dark.

And any good advice in general about shooting bands in dimly lit clubs would be much appreciated.

Thanks

yeah people are there to watch and enjoy the band, not the backside of a "photographer"

forget your flash and fong dong (infact sell the fong dong) people don't want to have a flash in their face either, and chances are you'll kill all atmosphere created by the lighting no matter how bad it is..

if you're going to get into Gig photography, time to upgrade your zooms to 2.8's

and its a "prime" not fixed.. neaner

talk to the lighting technician before hand and ask if he'll re-position the lights (and perhaps change the colour for you too)

rock on! band

#3815993 - 07/30/13 02:19 AM Re: Any folks here shoot bands in dimly lit clubs? [Re: No Name]  
VF9_Longbow Offline
Hotshot
VF9_Longbow  Offline
Hotshot

Tokyo, Japan
flash photography is fine if you know how to do it well and if the club allows it, but most clubs hate it.

i agree that zooms must be f2.8 or they're otherwise useless for indoor photography.

consider renting a 70-200 f2.8 as that is a top notch lens that will let you get things done properly.

another option would be an 85mm f1.4 or f1.8.

f1.8 85mm's can be bought pretty cheaply and have much better reach and image quality than the 50 f1.8's do.

#3820703 - 08/10/13 08:43 AM Re: Any folks here shoot bands in dimly lit clubs? [Re: No Name]  
Recon3 Offline
Recon3  Offline

Close to going insane (Vancouv...
Hi peppergomez,
I've shot a lot of concerts over a 30yr career as a newspaper photographer. Fracture is right in that, normally in larger venues it's a '1st-three-songs-no-flash' rule. Flash can spot-blind the performers and distract the audience. You always want to be as indiscreet as possible...even wear dark clothing if possible.

I've never asked a lighting tech to alter the lights just for me....I think you'd only be able to do this if you knew him/her/the band very well or, in a very small venue, got there early and found out the lighting tech had no idea what they were doing. In this rare case you can give them pointers...always be courteous and generous with your help. In any case shoot RAW.

Right now I use a Nikon D3S and D700. 17-35mm (*or 35-70mm) on one camera and 70-200mm on the other (all are f2.8) Having two cameras allows for quick switching from wide to telephoto shots without spending the precious few seconds it takes to switch lenses on one camera.

Concert lighting is notoriously bad, especially the first three songs. F/2.8 lenses (or better) are where it's at, however f2.8 (or 1.8) means more glass which equals more money, so it's all about what you can afford.

Sometimes bands start their concerts with very low light and build it up later with louder/more upbeat music and hotter lights. Other bands can have a bigger/brighter opening first few songs then trail off into slower music before reaching another crescendo.

As Aiobhill said watch out for beer, etc. It's rare you'd get wet but a few years back Ozzy Osbourne used a fire extinguisher to spray the crowd AND us in the photo pit. I was soaked as were my cameras.

cheers and good luck.

1 degree every 72 years
#3820745 - 08/10/13 03:14 PM Re: Any folks here shoot bands in dimly lit clubs? [Re: No Name]  
Recon3 Offline
Recon3  Offline

Close to going insane (Vancouv...
Btw, I wouldn't shoot a concert with a flash because (a) not allowed to anyway and (b) I want the stage lighting to help the mood of the photos. Most times during concerts, as you know, light is always changing. You could be shooting ISO 6400 125th/sec at 2.8 one minute and then 500/f5.6 the next. ...just roll with the punches ;-)

1 degree every 72 years
#3823392 - 08/16/13 11:36 PM Re: Any folks here shoot bands in dimly lit clubs? [Re: No Name]  
letterboy1 Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
letterboy1  Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
What an awesome thread! I have not tried to do this kind of photography, but it is interesting nevertheless! smile

The issue is not p*ssy. The issue is monkey.
#3824289 - 08/19/13 06:09 PM Re: Any folks here shoot bands in dimly lit clubs? [Re: No Name]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
Glad this is about photography. I came in here to tell you that you don't have to shoot them. If you don't like the music, just leave!
(Only kidding).

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#3824314 - 08/19/13 08:06 PM Re: Any folks here shoot bands in dimly lit clubs? [Re: Pooch]  
JAMF Offline
Frugalite & P-38 fan
JAMF  Offline
Frugalite & P-38 fan

The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: Pooch
Glad this is about photography. I came in here to tell you that you don't have to shoot them. If you don't like the music, just leave!
(Only kidding).
Been tempted to reply, but managed to resist, until your post.

You have to wait for the lighting effects, then you'll have a better shot. Some bands are very active, so you better go for the most active one first. The singer usually. You might wing him, that will slow him down enough. winkngrin

#3825887 - 08/22/13 08:42 PM Re: Any folks here shoot bands in dimly lit clubs? [Re: No Name]  
ECV56_PolTen Offline
ECV56_PolTen  Offline

Buenos Aires, Argentina
If you can read Spanish, then there's an interesting article on the subject HERE

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.