Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#3822502 - 08/15/13 12:46 AM Re: Pump your own gas? [Re: Skycat]  
.Wombat. Offline
.Wombat.  Offline

Texas
Originally Posted By: Skycat
Montana lawmakers briefly considered a similar proposal about 15 years ago. The argument in favor of a self-service ban was that average motorists are unqualified to dispense flammable, hazardous liquids (or some-such nonsense). More likely, it was either to create jobs or to protect tax revenue by preventing diesal motorists from buying cheaper agriculture specified fuel. Either way, the proposal died pretty quickly.

Speaking of Pennsylvania, at some point I noticed that the ratchety 'hands free' tab on gas pump handles were removed from most self service pumps. I used to bypass this by wedging my loose gas cap into the space between the hand guard and the trigger lever.

Well, working in the industry, I can sometimes vouch for the latch removal. I've seen TONS of folks who start dispensing in their cars, then walk to the store with the pump still filling the car. You're pumping something that with a bottle and some cloth makes a great bomb and not thinking anything of it.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3822535 - 08/15/13 02:51 AM Re: Pump your own gas? [Re: Dervish]  
WileECoyote Offline
WileECoyote  Offline

Argentina
Don't you guys have this kind of stations up there? If not, you should. This way you have something to look at in the meanwhile.

WHATCH OUT! Might not be safe for work and definitely not safe for wives.

When you're feeling sad, just remember that somewhere in the world, there's someone pushing a door that says "pull".
#3822599 - 08/15/13 07:44 AM Re: Pump your own gas? [Re: Dervish]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
most garages here have the latch removed and the garages are mostly self serve, infact I can only think of one garage that the owner herself comes out and pumps the petrol/diesel for you and she doesn't do it all the time.

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#3822780 - 08/15/13 05:36 PM Re: Pump your own gas? [Re: Dervish]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Meanwhile, stores like Lowe's now have self-checkout lanes so you can have one person watching 6 lanes checkout at once.

The only scenario I can imagine where having someone else pump your gas is attractive is if I'm getting gas during a wretched storm or when the weather is 20 below freezing or something. I'd rather stay in the car where it's dry and warm, sure.

As for NJ having cheap gas, yeah, that's because of the refineries. Other states could have it that cheap too if they'd allow them to build some refineries locally. I don't know NJ's gax tax vs other states, but I know in FL we've suffered because the big economic crash 5 years ago made people stop driving so much in addition to buying more efficient cars to use less gas and buying less stuff resulting in fewer trucks driving around moving stuff. All told, gas consumption dropped and by extension the taxes collected from what is sold dropped so road maintenance (funded by said tax) has really gone bad.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3822813 - 08/15/13 06:26 PM Re: Pump your own gas? [Re: Dervish]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I've always found it ironic that the taxes for gasoline (both State and Federal) primarily go to fund highway expansion and public transportation. It's ironic because more people using public transportation means less people driving which in turns means less gas being used and less taxes generated. So as the demand for public transportation increases, the money coming in to fund it decreases.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3822913 - 08/15/13 10:29 PM Re: Pump your own gas? [Re: Dervish]  
Falcon Six Two Offline
Resident BAMF
Falcon Six Two  Offline
Resident BAMF

NJ
As an NJ resident, it is a royal PITA not being able to pump my own gas. I'd be in and out so much faster.

Celeritas, Impetus, Violentia
#3822954 - 08/16/13 12:39 AM Re: Pump your own gas? [Re: Dervish]  
Timothy Offline
Hotshot
Timothy  Offline
Hotshot

Phoenix - Ft. Carson
Saddest part, about NJ, I'm about to start dating a girl from there. Thank goodness she seems to have commonsense and wants to move out of state state when she finishes college. If she wasn't so nice, smart, and gorgeous, there would be nothing good in NJ.

I remember years ago working in Scranton and going through NJ. I had to get some gas, I paid and went out and started pumping gas. They got really really mad at me for it too. I then had to wait for like 15 minutes for the one attendant to pump gas for me.

Last edited by Timothy; 08/16/13 12:51 AM.

Keep Calm and Check Canopy

There are no ex-paratroopers, only ones off jump status

Learn Economics at:
http://www.mises.org
Carthago delenda est
#3823170 - 08/16/13 03:40 PM Re: Pump your own gas? [Re: Dervish]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
I haven't been in NJ in 20 years and I doubt at this point I'll ever want to again.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3823179 - 08/16/13 03:54 PM Re: Pump your own gas? [Re: Dervish]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Is Newark still considered to be the armpit of NJ or is the whole state an armpit now?

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3823276 - 08/16/13 06:39 PM Re: Pump your own gas? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Hyena Offline
Hyena  Offline

Houston
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
I look at these things from a pragmatic perspective. If people pumping gas means less people on unemployment benefits then I'd go for that.

But I would be nice if you could wave the guy off and do your own gas. Same price.

I have a friend who used to own a 911. He would pay the valet when parking then go park the car himself. Valet still got paid, he just didn't like them driving his car.

"He's not just a regular moron. He's the product of the greatest minds of a generation working together with the express purpose of building the dumbest moron who ever lived."
#3823303 - 08/16/13 07:37 PM Re: Pump your own gas? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Vertigo1 Offline
Veteran
Vertigo1  Offline
Veteran

Zeta Aquilae System
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Is Newark still considered to be the armpit of NJ or is the whole state an armpit now?

I've been told the southern part is fairly decent.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

“One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” -Milton Friedman

Quem Deus vult perdere, prius dementat
#3823305 - 08/16/13 07:41 PM Re: Pump your own gas? [Re: Top Gun]  
Vertigo1 Offline
Veteran
Vertigo1  Offline
Veteran

Zeta Aquilae System
Originally Posted By: Top Gun
Originally Posted By: ColJamesD
I hate that entire Fakking state along with New York and New York City and Boston and every State on the East Coast/New England area.

Everytime I've been on the East Coast, I have always gotten the impression that the people up there think they poop don't stink and that they are God and that they are better than the rest of the country and the world!

stereo type much... rolleyes

My only qualm is that he is associating VT,NH,and Maine with NYC,Mass,NJ,CT,and RI.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

“One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” -Milton Friedman

Quem Deus vult perdere, prius dementat
#3823359 - 08/16/13 09:45 PM Re: Pump your own gas? [Re: Dervish]  
NH2112 Offline
Veteran
NH2112  Offline
Veteran

Jackman, ME
Well ME, NH, and VT all voted for Obama in the last election, so it seems the 3 of us are becoming Mass Lite at a breakneck pace.

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
#3823380 - 08/16/13 11:04 PM Re: Pump your own gas? [Re: Dervish]  
Aero Offline
Aero  Offline

Milwaukee, USA
Here's a question I had when I first moved to Oregon. Do you tip the attendant? *Can* you tip the attendant? If I got really good service, I'd be happy too, but I never saw quality worth a tip.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.