Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#3823306 - 08/16/13 07:44 PM Re: Anyone getting Space Hulk? [Re: - Ice]  
Charlie_SB Offline
Charlie_SB  Offline

I went to the developers homepage and read this quoute.

"Full Control makes games for old school gamers with little time to spare and few games to play. We specialize in turn based games in a hardcore theme. Tired of pastel colored farming games? We got something for you!"

Then it was go time for senor credit card and now I'm downloading space hulk. If these guys can get a license from games workshop and make proper warhammer 40K games I'm contributing. With years of that click fest accelerated time garbage, not to mention the horrible FPS, I finally see the light. I really hope for a full on turn based 40K battle against a buddy with an army of my choice ... over the internet.

-C-

Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#3823616 - 08/17/13 05:10 PM Re: Anyone getting Space Hulk? [Re: - Ice]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
Just bought it, I loved the original Space Hulk game on the PC.

If they managed to create an updated version to that I'm more than happy. Will report back in a couple of hours.

For the Emperor!

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#3823622 - 08/17/13 05:28 PM Re: Anyone getting Space Hulk? [Re: - Ice]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
Beware Para_Bellum,as I have learned the game is based on the boardgame,NOT the 1993 EA game Space Hulk.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#3823637 - 08/17/13 07:06 PM Re: Anyone getting Space Hulk? [Re: - Ice]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
Played the 1st couple of rounds and I like it. A lot. Very punishing and hard. Certainly no AAA game but quite enjoyable for a WH40k fan.

Burn xenos scum!

lawncareby20mm

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

#3823641 - 08/17/13 07:41 PM Re: Anyone getting Space Hulk? [Re: Charlie_SB]  
Wodin Offline
Wodin  Offline

Liverpool
You'll never see a PC version of the tabletop game. Iain at Slitherine told me it's a no go. GW are to protective of the tabletop game and say it would encroach on it's sales.

Originally Posted By: Charlie_SB
I went to the developers homepage and read this quoute.

"Full Control makes games for old school gamers with little time to spare and few games to play. We specialize in turn based games in a hardcore theme. Tired of pastel colored farming games? We got something for you!"

Then it was go time for senor credit card and now I'm downloading space hulk. If these guys can get a license from games workshop and make proper warhammer 40K games I'm contributing. With years of that click fest accelerated time garbage, not to mention the horrible FPS, I finally see the light. I really hope for a full on turn based 40K battle against a buddy with an army of my choice ... over the internet.

-C-

#3823651 - 08/17/13 08:54 PM Re: Anyone getting Space Hulk? [Re: - Ice]  
Charlie_SB Offline
Charlie_SB  Offline

Yeah, well even the mighty games workshop might snap out of it some day. The fans are growing up and will have families and jobs which does not allow them to spend Saturdays at the local gaming place. I don't need a copy of the board game. I just want that board game pace and perhaps the possibility to include a more interactive presentation of the universe.

I'm having quite a good time with Space hulk at the moment. It's not as punishing as I thought it would be so I might be able to control my temper and finish the campaign.

-C-

#3823685 - 08/17/13 10:48 PM Re: Anyone getting Space Hulk? [Re: - Ice]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
I've watched videos and everything and cannot see Hulk in there at all! Think the devs have pulled a fast one.

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle
#3823802 - 08/18/13 11:47 AM Re: Anyone getting Space Hulk? [Re: - Ice]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
I'm half through the main campaign and thought I'd give a bit of feedback.

The bad:

The production values are not up to par for a 30€ game. Simple as that. No cutscenes, no animated briefings, mediocre sound and grafics and limited length of the SP campaign would've been fine for a 15€ title, but demanding almost AAA price for what is clearly not an AAA title is not OK.

The game offers not enough feedback for the player. Line of sight? Better guess. And guess good. Another example: in one mission I was told to destroy two targets with either a flamer or 2 assault cannon shots. I shot the 1st target with the cannon but nothing happened. I only found out that the target was actually considered destroyed when I killed the 2nd one with a flamer and the mission suddenly ended. And yeah, a "you haven't given orders to all your terminators, are you sure you want to end the turn"-message would be nice and prevent the frustration of seeing your troops getting overrun because you forgot to set the guy guarding the rear to overwatch...

Lack of customization. It's nice that I can customize my (useless) banner, but I'd have MUCH more fun if I could actually customize my Space Marines' armour.

Performance: the game really struggles with many dead genestealers on screen. I've seen FPS drop from the 50s to below 10. Needs a patch.

Technical issues: something's wrong with the main screen/menues. My PC fans go into afterburner mode whenever I'm in the menues. In game everything's normal.

AI: the genestealers need a brain upgrade. Far too often they charge needlessly into overwatch sectors instead of massing at chokepoints and overwhelming the enemy.

The good:

Despite the negative points the game is actually fun. Seeing a plan work out really feels good and watching your Terminators getting ripped apart makes you want to try just one more round. Controls are simple to use and pose no problems. The grafics IMO do a fairly good job of bringing the TT to life. The game stays very true to the tabletop and if that's what you want you will not be disappointed. I'm really looking forward to try out MP, should be a lot of fun. If you expect more than the TT brought to the PC you're in for a disappointment though.

ATM I'd rate the game 6/10, 7/10 if you're a WH40K/Space Hulk fan.

#3823890 - 08/18/13 06:20 PM Re: Anyone getting Space Hulk? [Re: - Ice]  
jdbecks Offline
Room Clear!
jdbecks  Offline
Room Clear!

England
I really like the game and find it really fun, especially multilayer and I enjoy the fact you can make a turn, then quit the game and come back and take another turn etc.

I never played the board game, but it is basically a computerized board game and as most of the time the terminator player dies...I think that will be the hardest part for people who dont understand space hulk to get to grips with.

Is it worth £22, to me yes as the cinema is £12 then the price of pop corn and coke is about £6 its a good deal for me and I enjoy it more than Xcom but the game is like a rough diamond, luckily none of the bugs are game breaking and I look forward to the mission editor to be released as they will enable custom missions biggrin

it will be interesting to see what DLC they bring out.. They mentioned other space marine chapters

#3823909 - 08/18/13 07:15 PM Re: Anyone getting Space Hulk? [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
I would +1 that the game is too expensive at it's current condition. Don't get me wrong, the game is fun and the tactics are quite unique, but being hit by low FPS and game slowdowns in the SECOND mission in the game doesn't quite impress me given the price I've paid and considering my system.

I have a little grasp of the rules and tactics and so far have only lost 1 Terminator on the tutorial mission. My son played the same mission and almost got away with all his Termies on that same mission --- he ended up losing one too. I've now finished the first two missions and have kept all my guys alive. Nerdgasm on the assault cannon as well, yummy! This is getting me fired up to play WH40K again.

Some pics as proof:

Mission 1

Setting up my chokepoints in Mission 2

A Termie with an assault cannon (3 dice, hits on 5+) and another with a storm bolter cover the south corridor while two Termies with bolters and one with a shield and hammer cover the north corridor.

Mission 2

Aside from the massive slowdown and slideshow when trying to pan the camera, I'd say I'm quite enjoying this game. My son's doing a second round of the first mission now, trying to finish it without losing anyone.

- Ice
#3824030 - 08/19/13 12:55 AM Re: Anyone getting Space Hulk? [Re: - Ice]  
WynnTTr Offline
WynnTTr  Offline

Got it, finished it and would probably say that it's worth $30. Mind you, AAA games in Australia start at $60. Big AA games such as COD/BF, Bioshock go for $90 on Steam. So I'd definitely say Space Hulk was worth the money.

Where this game shines, like many others, is in MP. They've fully and faithfully recreated the board game feel. Nothing beats human AI and it was immensely fun trying to outthink the other guy.

The memories all came back, swearing at gun jams when the other guy had masses of genestealers in a room, the pure satisfaction of flaming a room full of genestealers, storm bolters sound like they should and you can squash genestealer bodies!
Overall I'm very happy with the game. It could do with bringing it up to modern day gaming standards - character track and growth like in rpg's, more cutscenes, longer campaigns but they're all just icing imo.

Good to be playing Space Hulk again.

#3824262 - 08/19/13 05:24 PM Re: Anyone getting Space Hulk? [Re: - Ice]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
Originally Posted By: WynnTTr

The memories all came back, swearing at gun jams when the other guy had masses of genestealers in a room, the pure satisfaction of flaming a room full of genestealers, storm bolters sound like they should and you can squash genestealer bodies!
Overall I'm very happy with the game. It could do with bringing it up to modern day gaming standards - character track and growth like in rpg's, more cutscenes, longer campaigns but they're all just icing imo.

Good to be playing Space Hulk again.

Well said.

BTW another patch has just been released, which should greatly reduce the performance issues due to lots of genestealer bodies lying around.

Some of the "god, this game is awful"-comments on the Steam forums are beyond ridiculous. I just read a post from a guy slamming the game where he states "I love Bioshock Infinite and Far Cry 3 but hate Space Hulk." He probably expected Space Hulk to be a shooter.

Yeah. I mean why is it I love vanilla icecream but find NASCAR boring?

banghead

#3824272 - 08/19/13 05:43 PM Re: Anyone getting Space Hulk? [Re: - Ice]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
The Steam forums are populated with idiots.They should have a special mark next to their name so you can avoid the drivel they come out with.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#3827953 - 08/27/13 03:56 PM Re: Anyone getting Space Hulk? [Re: - Ice]  
Grunt0331 Offline
Grunt0331  Offline

For anyone looking for more feedback on Space Hulk, check out the Grogheads review:

Grogheads Space Hulk Review

Last edited by Grunt0331; 08/27/13 03:56 PM.

de.ci.sive.ness\ n. 1. Ability to make decisions promptly and to announce them in clear, forceful manner. 2. See United States Marine.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.