Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#3821708 - 08/13/13 05:30 AM Re: A sobering insight into the world of flight sim development [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
Pizzicato Offline
Asleep at the Wheel
Pizzicato  Offline
Asleep at the Wheel

Vancouver, BC
Originally Posted By: wheelsup_cavu

The video arcades took a big bite out of my pocket in the 1980's too. It was almost impossible for me to go through less than twenty or thirty dollars in a weekend.

Wow... $20-$30 bucks per weekend would have been pretty serious money in the 80's. It would have been for me as a kid, anyway. I would have been lucky to see $5 per week back then. biggrin

---------
Pizzicato
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3821710 - 08/13/13 05:35 AM Re: A sobering insight into the world of flight sim development [Re: Pizzicato]  
toonces Offline
toonces  Offline

Honolulu, Hawaii
Man, was there a better feeling than being a 10 year old kid with 10 dollars worth of tokens in your pocket back around 1980 or so? Man alive, I remember that at most arcades you got like 50 or 60 tokens if you put $10 into the token machine, instead of the usual 4 for a dollar.

Oh man, walking around with pockets bulging with 40 or 50 or 60 tokens...that was living.

Great post votacx!

Last edited by toonces; 08/13/13 05:35 AM.

"A week or even a month for someone basically saying "shucks, this is pants" maybe. But their banhammer only has the forever setting. Gotta set phasers to stun for the localization of female undergarments, not kill yo." - Frederf
#3821711 - 08/13/13 05:37 AM Re: A sobering insight into the world of flight sim development [Re: Pizzicato]  
toonces Offline
toonces  Offline

Honolulu, Hawaii
That's actually a really timely post. I picked up Dragon's Lair off of Steam the other day for $5 because back when I was a kid there was just no way I could afford to finish the game at $1 a play.

Remember that?

Finally 30 years later I can find out what all the fuss was about!

"A week or even a month for someone basically saying "shucks, this is pants" maybe. But their banhammer only has the forever setting. Gotta set phasers to stun for the localization of female undergarments, not kill yo." - Frederf
#3821712 - 08/13/13 05:41 AM Re: A sobering insight into the world of flight sim development [Re: Pizzicato]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Originally Posted By: Pizzicato
Originally Posted By: wheelsup_cavu

The video arcades took a big bite out of my pocket in the 1980's too. It was almost impossible for me to go through less than twenty or thirty dollars in a weekend.

Wow... $20-$30 bucks per weekend would have been pretty serious money in the 80's. It would have been for me as a kid, anyway. I would have been lucky to see $5 per week back then. biggrin

Lol, I was in High School so I had a job and I was spending my money foolishly. If it had been up to my parents to give me the money I wouldn't have got 5 bucks a weekend.

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#3821758 - 08/13/13 11:11 AM Re: A sobering insight into the world of flight sim development [Re: Pizzicato]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
But if you were really good at the arcade games you played you could get extra lives and hence get a lot more play time out of your quarters. I remember a few rare occasions where one quarter gave me about 30 minutes of playing time.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3821825 - 08/13/13 02:39 PM Re: A sobering insight into the world of flight sim development [Re: Pizzicato]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
I rarely went because I rarely could play the few games that interested me. Usually they were always taken. So I was playing the Atari 2600, then the 800, then our 8088 PC.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3821869 - 08/13/13 04:27 PM Re: A sobering insight into the world of flight sim development [Re: Pizzicato]  
Skycat Offline
Hotshot
Skycat  Offline
Hotshot

Pennsylvania or Montana
I never had much money for arcade machines back in the late 70s and early 80s, since I was never given an allowance. I depended mostly on birthday and Christmas money as a kid.

I remember finally getting a chance to play Space Invaders (or maybe Asteroids?) in a Hills lobby during a weekly family shopping trip; my grandfather caught me and chastised me up and down for wasting my money, though in total I probably only spent about a dollar in quarters. (He grew up during the Great Depression and was notoriously thrifty his entire life.)

I remember Dragon Lair too, and how much I wanted to play it as a kid. It looked like the greatest thing in entertainment since the invention of the television. Alas, I had to content myself with watching the demos, or perhaps gameplay over somebody's shoulder.

Fortunately I was able to take advantage of the decline of the Atari 2600, when new game cartridges costed as little as $2 at my local drugstore. I built up a pretty sizeable collection of games, mostly titles by Activision and Intellevision. I remember a couple of them even came with special controllers...

Ahhh, good times. Good times. smile

Remove before flight
#3821875 - 08/13/13 04:35 PM Re: A sobering insight into the world of flight sim development [Re: Pizzicato]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
In addition to Dragon's Lair there was also Space Ace. Both of those cartoon-like games were fun and tough.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3821997 - 08/13/13 08:15 PM Re: A sobering insight into the world of flight sim development [Re: Pizzicato]  
knightgames Offline
Hotshot
knightgames  Offline
Hotshot

MA
Dig Dug, Defender, Berzerker, Pole Position, Gauntlet and Red Baron got my quarters. I used to go to this bar and they had a Mz. Pacman that they sped up to twice the normal speed. I couldn't play it at normal speed for the life of me, but twice the speed I played forever.

#3822011 - 08/13/13 08:38 PM Re: A sobering insight into the world of flight sim development [Re: Pizzicato]  
Smokin_Hole Offline
Smokin_Hole  Offline

JEEEEZUS!!! Are we really ALL middle-aged men, or what!? Seriously, I'd forgotten all about Dragon's Lair.

Toonces, I think its terrific that you are learning LUA with hopes to develop some sort of DC engine for DCS. At Microprose, wasn't that job done by just one guy? So it's doable. The problem with DCS may well be the large GPU demands. If there are more than 3 planes in my field of view at an airbase, the game turns slideshow. Falcon was behind it's time graphically but (guessing here) because of that it seemed to go pretty smoothly MOST of the time, even with the low processing power of the period. If they can get a DC engine to work and if EDGE adds better terrain AND things run with suitable smoothness, it will be revolutionary.

#3822018 - 08/13/13 08:55 PM Re: A sobering insight into the world of flight sim development [Re: Pizzicato]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
It was my understanding that DCS World was much more CPU intensive than GPU intensive. I've noticed that missions with large numbers of units tends to bog down performance and something like the number of units is handled by the CPU.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 08/13/13 09:05 PM.

#3822059 - 08/13/13 11:20 PM Re: A sobering insight into the world of flight sim development [Re: Pizzicato]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA

One thing that is definitely not sobering or new is developers whining about making flight sims. The more they whine...the less I care...it's getting old. I'm not going to start handing over money in the hopes that someday you will create something full featured like we used to get. I fell into that trap already and I'm done with the blind support. If it really isn't profitable than they wouldn't be doing it. Are we supposed to believe they are doing this out of the kindness of their hearts because they love us so much? Doubt it...we hear a lot of threats of "we're not gonna make anymore if <insert reason>"

With the way sims are stripped of offline features nowadays...I'm done buying them anyway...sooo the sobering insight is a lot of us just don't care anymore. I give my money to other genre's of gaming now...lot's of it.

I know it's a downer post...but....it's the same damn sob story we've been hearing forever from devs.

Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard
Windows 7 64 bit Home edition
Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
16 gig 1866mhz Corsair Vengence Pro memory
EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked 4gb Video Card
Intel 510 series 120gb SSD (boot drive)
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"

#3822074 - 08/14/13 12:28 AM Re: A sobering insight into the world of flight sim development [Re: Pizzicato]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
I'm with Jedi: make the games fun first, then add the rivet-counting stuff. "Fun" does not have to equal "dumbed down". Fun means to give the user an incentive to sit down and play the game. And that would make such a simulation game more accessible for a much broader audience, hence more copies are being sold, hence more money to reinvest into making the product even better - or add more depth.

Flaming Cliffs (whatever it's called right now) like fidelity with an interesting story/campaign in a (or several) interesting theaters (look at the old Microprose games like Gunship, F-19, M1 Tank Platoon), and maybe more western hardware, would be more than sufficient to draw larger crowds to the genre. A-10 C like fidelity can always be added at some later date.

On the other hand, if some keep designing systems simulators that are about as fun as creating Excel sheets, you've already cut down on your potential user base. Only very few people (compared to the potential global market) have the time and energy to come home from a long day at work to sit down for hours in front of their PCs to learn how to ramps-start a SU-25 (without labels of course, cause that would kill immersion; instead they also book an online course to learn Cyrillic). That, by definition, is called a niche market. smile

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#3822124 - 08/14/13 03:39 AM Re: A sobering insight into the world of flight sim development [Re: Pizzicato]  
Nodak01 Offline
Nodak01  Offline

coyote country
I'm waiting for the next generation of hardware, full 3D goggles in HD. Can't overlook the hardware angle, it can give a massive boost in fun. I doubt Il-2 would have had the success and following it did had the TrackIR not appeared at the same time. It was made for that game.

I'd have walked a long time ago were it not for the advancements in hardware. TIR, HOTAS, MFD's, extra throttle quads, and now integrated touch pads. It's the tech that's bringing the flight experience closer. Can't wait for the day I can fly and fight in a 1 to 1 scale HD 3D world, and not some zoomed out 2D flattened distortion, where visuals require zooming, labels, and other training wheel views to see only specks with limited SA. Put me in the cockpit and world totally, that will bring to life any flying combat game.

Seems much of the flight equipment today is high end, or crap, not much between. It's surprising the amount of high end flight sim equipment out lately, must still a viable market.

#3822170 - 08/14/13 08:30 AM Re: A sobering insight into the world of flight sim development [Re: Pizzicato]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
The rivet-counting system simulation is the comparatively easy part of simulation development, and it's the safest method to get the hardcore simmers on your side in the leading marketing campaign. Developers who do not have the resources to do both will do the rational and reasonable choice to concentrate on an engine that produces nice screenshots and of turning the aircraft technical manual into a mathematical representation.

You get what you get because no indie developer can afford to do it all. Actual game developers hired by a big publisher won't touch the subject even if they could make it "more fun" to begin with (partly because they are more experienced in the "fun" business) because they see no market potential in it. There you have, in a nutshell, the situation. I've hinted that in 2005 already.

Some way want to judge the developers' situation assessment from 2005 in all parts:
Part 1 (3 pages)
Part 2 (3 pages)
Part 3 (4 pages)
Part 4 (3 pages)
Part 5 (3 pages)

Visit the home of Steel Beasts!
...the ultimate armor sim...
#3822186 - 08/14/13 10:20 AM Re: A sobering insight into the world of flight sim development [Re: Pizzicato]  
Lewis-A2A Offline
Tom Thumb
Lewis-A2A  Offline
Tom Thumb

Lowestoft - UK
You might want to title the thread combat flight sim?

Also worth noting that as it stands at the moment in the 'now' we have more choice in flight sims and hardware across the board from high fidelity to relaxed realism to arcade than we have ever had before EVER.

#3822188 - 08/14/13 11:05 AM Re: A sobering insight into the world of flight sim development [Re: Lewis-A2A]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Lewis-A2A
You might want to title the thread combat flight sim?

Also worth noting that as it stands at the moment in the 'now' we have more choice in flight sims and hardware across the board from high fidelity to relaxed realism to arcade than we have ever had before EVER.
I think the main complaint from many here is not the lack of flight sim titles but the lack of Flight sim titles that have the same level of immersion as the flight sims from the 90's. I really do think it's a cultural thing. What Eastern European developers think should be designed and how it should be designed in a flight sim doesn't quite match with what Western gamers want and expect.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 08/14/13 11:06 AM.

#3822194 - 08/14/13 11:35 AM Re: A sobering insight into the world of flight sim development [Re: Pizzicato]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Guys, DI - Tornado's Campaign. Seriously. I WISH DCS had that. In complete truth.
Beginning with simulator time to get your hands on the real one...
With the right FX you could even make graphic to look like a '90 Military Flight sim.

*Sigh*

A man can still hope, right?

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#3822195 - 08/14/13 11:43 AM Re: A sobering insight into the world of flight sim development [Re: Pizzicato]  
Tom_Weiss Offline
Veteran
Tom_Weiss  Offline
Veteran

3rd Planet, Sun
the only flight sim that is really thriving today is FSX - the others survive.

I used to be mainly a LockOn fan, but since 2008 I am in FSX and as a skin maker I am 90% FSX because there is where the demand is, the blame for the sad state of flight sims is due to the developers lack of focus and overblown ambitions, Eagle Dynamics is at least on the right track with FC3.

#3822251 - 08/14/13 02:25 PM Re: A sobering insight into the world of flight sim development [Re: Pizzicato]  
SkateZilla Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
SkateZilla  Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran

Virginia Beach, VA
Originally Posted By: Pizzicato
I just saw this link in a discussion over at the Il-2 Battle of Stalingrad forums and thought it was really poignant:

http://bbs.thirdwire.com/phpBB3w/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9420&p=59528#p59528

It really puts into perspective all of the uninformed vitriol I've been reading on these forums recently:

"Flight sim developers are just trying to gouge us with their nickel and diming business models."

"I want everything, but I'm not paying $50. That's outrageous."

"I'm not buying if it hasn't got a cutting edge graphics engine, dynamic campaign, dedicated servers, historically accurate flight model and clickable cockpit."

It seems abundantly clear that our hobby - a hobby that's kept me entertained for over 30 of my 41 years is close to being done and dusted. Eagle Dynamics and 777 seem like pretty much our last hope, but there are still far too many of us that are taking the "I demand features A, B, C all the way through to Z, but I'm not buying until it goes on sale for less than $20" attitude.

I don't expect this post to have much of an impact, but I do hope it inspires some people to take a more considered view of where our hobby is really at and what the stakes are. If we genuinely care about this pastime, we need to be supporting it. I, for one, don't want to see this genre vanish forever.

Just my 2 cents.

T.K. has always had to put up with a lot over the years.

People also dont realize.. TW is a SMALL team. TW should just release the source code to the modding community.

Last edited by SkateZilla; 08/14/13 02:27 PM.

HAF922, Corsair RM850, ASRock Fata1ity 990FX Pro,
Modified Corsair H100, AMD FX8350 @ 5.31GHz, 16GB G.SKILL@DDR2133,
2x R7970 Lightnings, +1 HD7950 @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Fata1ity Platinum Champ.,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns�G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050), Oculus Rift CV
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throt., Pro Pedals, TM Warthog & MFDs, Fanatec CSR Wheel/Shifter, Elite Pedals
Intensity Pro 10-Bit, TrackIR 4 Pro, WD Black 1.5TB, WD Black 640GB, Samsung 850 500GB, My Book 4TB
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.