Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#3821607 - 08/13/13 12:38 AM Star Citizen update  
Executed Offline
Executed  Offline

CT, USA
This post outlines a lot of features:
Star Citizen Explained

For those of you who haven't been following, Star Citizen crowd funding is now at about $15M!
The new website is up and the game is looking really sharp. A quick rundown of recient news:
-Tentative release date is 2015, hanger module is going to be out Fall 2013, Alpha testing starts winter 2013, and beta in 2014.
-Male or female character role.
-Currently there is about 20k alpha slots still available.
-Persistent universe, free content updates, dedicated official servers, TIR and Oculus Rift support, made with Cryengine3.
-While it is a 'space combat' simulation, other roles are encouraged, encluding explorer, merchant, mining, bounty hunter, pirate.
-The alpha/dog-fighting module is slated for release in Fall 2013.
-The Hanger module is going to be release around Aug 28, 2013 where you will be able to see and interact with the ships in your hanger.

Star Citizen

See you in the 'verse!

#3821848 - 08/13/13 03:36 PM Re: Star Citizen update [Re: Executed]  
kestrel79 Offline
kestrel79  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
Sounds pretty cool. So how does one get in the Alpha? Can I just buy the actual game itself or do I have to pledge hundreds of dollars?

I was going to wait until the actual release but I might give it a go what the heck. I'm a huge space sim nerd way back to X-Wing.

Intel i5 2500k // Asus P8P67 // 16GB G.Skill RAM // RX480 8GB // 27" monitor // VKB Black Mamba Mk.III // Warthog Throttle // TFRP Pedals // W7
#3821888 - 08/13/13 04:56 PM Re: Star Citizen update [Re: Executed]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
If the alpha testing is this fall, that's not too bad. I think that was in the package I picked up a while back.
The website is pretty nice.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#3821951 - 08/13/13 06:50 PM Re: Star Citizen update [Re: Executed]  
Georgio Offline
Georgio  Offline

Hockley, UK
So this and Elite Dangerous are going to go head to head. Interesting.

#3822038 - 08/13/13 09:41 PM Re: Star Citizen update [Re: kestrel79]  
JAMF Offline
Frugalite & P-38 fan
JAMF  Offline
Frugalite & P-38 fan

The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: kestrel79
Sounds pretty cool. So how does one get in the Alpha? Can I just buy the actual game itself or do I have to pledge hundreds of dollars?

You can get access to Alpha and Beta with the $40 Digital Mercanary package:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/133-digital-mercenary-lti

The $30 Digital Scout package is the same, but without the Alpha and Beta access:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/134-digital-scout-lti

#3822042 - 08/13/13 09:52 PM Re: Star Citizen update [Re: Executed]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

If you want to buy into the game at this point you really should paypal someone with the game the money and let them buy it and gift it back to you. 1) it will be 5-10 dollars cheaper and 2) you will get Life Time Insurance instead of the 6 months they are selling now.

Or you can buy it in game and gift it to someone with LTI and they can break the package down to credits and then use those credits to buy the package with LTI and gift it back to you. There is like a 24hr waiting period using this method since you cant break a purchase down once you buy it right away. You have to wait x number of days/hours (I think it is 24hr).

Last edited by Master; 08/13/13 09:53 PM.
#3822077 - 08/14/13 12:32 AM Re: Star Citizen update [Re: Executed]  
n4p0l3onic Offline
n4p0l3onic  Offline

what does the insurance do? and I'm still very confused to this day, is the game an MMO with SP or you can experience it all in SP while having opportunity to go online? and how does it work if it the latter, I mean if you acquire something while offline or online will it appeared on the counterpart mode?

#3822159 - 08/14/13 07:32 AM Re: Star Citizen update [Re: Georgio]  
CTR69 Offline
CTR69  Offline

Originally Posted By: Georgio
So this and Elite Dangerous are going to go head to head. Interesting.

I'm more interested in X Rebirth vs Star citizen on Gamescom next week. I hope it'll be cold war type of thing, where each tries to impress even more than planned with gameplay demos and presentations.

ED doesn't have any demos or anything to show, while these two can really go at each other.

#3822244 - 08/14/13 02:07 PM Re: Star Citizen update [Re: n4p0l3onic]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Originally Posted By: n4p0l3onic
what does the insurance do? and I'm still very confused to this day, is the game an MMO with SP or you can experience it all in SP while having opportunity to go online? and how does it work if it the latter, I mean if you acquire something while offline or online will it appeared on the counterpart mode?

Its complicated but...

When you first start the game you have two options. You can go through sq42 (military campaign) or you can go straight to SC (MMO). If you go through sq42 you will earn money and etc that you can use when you start the SC (MMO). If you choose not to do sq42 then you will be broke and have no ship and in order to get one you will have to crew other people's ships and do various jobs to earn money for your first ship.

Now every game package comes with a starter ship so in essence you will not start poor as you will start with the starter aurora. If you have 6 months insurance (what is selling right now) then for 6 months if your ship gets destroyed the game will replace it for free (not cargo or upgrades though). So if you start the game you will have a ship for 6 months more or less. After 6 months though you will be shipless if you start a new game or your starter ship gets destroyed.

LTI (Life Time Insurance) takes that 6 months and extends it forever. So you will never have to start the game without a ship.

As for the online vs offline thing. What you do in the two does not carry over afaik but the ship insurance will probably apply to both online and offline. There has been some talk though that you will be allowed multiple characters but the insurance will only apply to one character at a time. So if you have two guys and one starter ship it belongs to one of your two guys and the other guy will start shipless.

Also there is a outer space forum with lots more info for SC.
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/359/

Last edited by Master; 08/14/13 02:32 PM.
#3822294 - 08/14/13 05:07 PM Re: Star Citizen update [Re: Executed]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Um...I think it safe to say that when it comes to simplicity of design SC gets a fail.

I've read this stuff multiple times since it was first announced and I still don't really grasp it.

I just want another Wing Commander/X Wing type of game. I couldn't care less about an MMO, and tacking one on to a game like WC/XW seems like at best one side will get far less attention than the other and at worst neither side will get enough.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3822297 - 08/14/13 05:21 PM Re: Star Citizen update [Re: Executed]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Simple is the last thing they want. There are plenty of WC-like games out there, and this guy wanted to build his dream game. People agreed and he's raised 15 million or so now. Simple games like WC probably wouldn't do as good now as they did back then, people want more depth now. Not to mention there's money in MMO's, not so much in stand alone games.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
#3822302 - 08/14/13 05:30 PM Re: Star Citizen update [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Originally Posted By: Raw Kryptonite
Simple is the last thing they want. There are plenty of WC-like games out there, and this guy wanted to build his dream game. People agreed and he's raised 15 million or so now. Simple games like WC probably wouldn't do as good now as they did back then, people want more depth now. Not to mention there's money in MMO's, not so much in stand alone games.

There are?? That were released since 2010? Please name 3.

Well, I can at least be assured that I will be giving up gaming far sooner than most other people, since the apparently inevitable shift to MMOs will alienate me 100%.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3822308 - 08/14/13 05:39 PM Re: Star Citizen update [Re: Executed]  
kestrel79 Offline
kestrel79  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
I checked out the site. The 40 dollar option seems interesting. So if one of you guys gift me that option I can get lifetime insurance for free on that ship?

Let's say I don't go the insurance route...how do I play the game without a ship? Can I get paid as a crewmember on another person's ship? Or join a military and use their ship or something? Or is their 3rd person gameplay that isn't in space?

This game is still pretty far off from official release. Kinda crazy to think there's guys who have invested thousands in a game they have yet to play. I hope they can deliver expectations are going to be crazy high.

Intel i5 2500k // Asus P8P67 // 16GB G.Skill RAM // RX480 8GB // 27" monitor // VKB Black Mamba Mk.III // Warthog Throttle // TFRP Pedals // W7
#3822353 - 08/14/13 06:51 PM Re: Star Citizen update [Re: kestrel79]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Originally Posted By: kestrel79
I checked out the site. The 40 dollar option seems interesting. So if one of you guys gift me that option I can get lifetime insurance for free on that ship?

Let's say I don't go the insurance route...how do I play the game without a ship? Can I get paid as a crewmember on another person's ship? Or join a military and use their ship or something? Or is their 3rd person gameplay that isn't in space?

This game is still pretty far off from official release. Kinda crazy to think there's guys who have invested thousands in a game they have yet to play. I hope they can deliver expectations are going to be crazy high.

If someone with LTI buys you a package it will have LTI.

How do you play without a ship? You sign on a crew another person's ship, you take out a loan to buy a ship, you sign on for a military tour of duty to earn money for a ship. I am sure there will be other ways also. There is also 3rd person non ship gameplay but we dont know how much. There is at least boarding actions so you could sign on as a boarding marine .

It is crazy how much people have spent on the game but for a lot of people this is a dream game and the game would never be made without people investing those thousands. Hell the new X game didnt even have first person stuff until after SC announced. I bet a lot of space game change things up a bit because of SC. (and hopefully SC wont suck.)

#3822487 - 08/14/13 11:46 PM Re: Star Citizen update [Re: Executed]  
n4p0l3onic Offline
n4p0l3onic  Offline

uh sooo... in SC there is no such thing as X-Rebirth SP mode? I mean the ability to explore and play in the universe completely offline? just the linear squadron 42 mode and after that game over, you thrown out of the game and forced to online?

can you also do hybrid mode? sometimes you want to do squadron 42 then take a break and go online?

it sounds too complicated to program lol.

#3822498 - 08/15/13 12:26 AM Re: Star Citizen update [Re: Executed]  
U-96 Offline
%!#Stack Overflow#!%
U-96  Offline
%!#Stack Overflow#!%
Hotshot

Derek Smart would be spinning in his grave*

*If he was dead.

#3822528 - 08/15/13 02:25 AM Re: Star Citizen update [Re: Executed]  
FlyingMonkey Offline
FlyingMonkey  Offline

Down under in Adelaide
As far as I remember the persistent universe part is part of what will be moddable, and you should be able to run dedicated servers for just you and your friends (or possibly just you I guess). That's what I remember from the early days though, and it was a key point which dragged my friends in the pledging (we just want to play on a server together, like we did in the Freelancer good old days).

From what was described, you can access the Squadron 42 from within the persistent world, so you should be able to jump from it to online (or local dedicated server) indeed.

#3822556 - 08/15/13 03:47 AM Re: Star Citizen update [Re: Executed]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

You can play the whole MMO thing as a SP game or as a coop game or you can go online and play it as an MMO but the sp and mmo are separate (the stuff you get in either wont transfer between them.)

You can also play the sq42 military campaign in SP, MP Coop or as a connected MMO experience.

From what they have been talking about though you cant go from sq42 to mmo then back to sq42. You enlist for a Tour of Duty and if you leave during your Tour of Duty you are AWOL. After your ToD you can reenlist or go into the MMO and at any point you can reenlist again.

So it might be best to have a MMO character and a Military character.

They are going to start with the hangar module that you can walk around and climb into your pledge ships. Then they are going to do a dogfighter module where you can just fly the ships and fight but there is no mission or open sandbox world. Then they are going to do the semi-linear sq42 release and then finally after that the MMO release.

Each phase builds on the previous phase and by the time the MMO is out you will probably be tired of the sq42 missions.

#3822598 - 08/15/13 07:39 AM Re: Star Citizen update [Re: Executed]  
Wodin Offline
Wodin  Offline

Liverpool
The insurance thing is a real rip off..you buy a game then have to pay insurance for the major feature you payed for..i.e a ship to fly in. Crazy.

#3822686 - 08/15/13 01:50 PM Re: Star Citizen update [Re: Executed]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Losing your ship is a pretty popular mechanic in this type of game and a lot of the other games dont give you a feature where you can buy insurance to replace your ship. So I really dont see how you can knock this game for providing more / better features than others in the genera?

#3822756 - 08/15/13 04:55 PM Re: Star Citizen update [Re: Jedi Master]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Originally Posted By: Jedi Master

There are?? That were released since 2010? Please name 3.

Well, I can at least be assured that I will be giving up gaming far sooner than most other people, since the apparently inevitable shift to MMOs will alienate me 100%.
The Jedi Master

I didn't say "since 2010". And as far as being like SC, there has *never* been something on the scale of what they're doing, even EVE.
But as far as space fighter type games, fairly recent:
Dark Horizon
Space Force Rogue Universe
Parkan 2...even had boarding and fps action inside the ships
Freespace 2 is still going strong, and the BSG mod is amazing, just not complete
Black Prophecy (MMO, shut down now for US AFAIK)

Those are your basic fighter style games. Of course you've also got the deeper games like IW2, Evochron, the X games etc, but WC wasn't deep like those.
Not saying those are all great games, but simple fighter stuff just isn't enough these days. Most people want a little more depth, and an RPG aspect, even if not as far as EVE and X3.

#3822774 - 08/15/13 05:23 PM Re: Star Citizen update [Re: Executed]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
If it came out before 2010, that makes it old enough not to be current, hence my limit.

Quote:
Dark Horizon 2008
Space Force Rogue Universe 2007
Parkan 2...even had boarding and fps action inside the ships can't even find the date, appears to be around a decade
Freespace 2 is still going strong, and the BSG mod is amazing, just not complete same year as XWA, both are old enough I consider them first gen, mods don't make it current
Black Prophecy (MMO, shut down now for US AFAIK)as I said, MMOs don't count

So your list of "plenty" consists of games that are on average 10 years old or more with only one released in the last 5 years? Maybe you're having trouble keeping your head above water in this veritable flood, but I find my ankles are still dry.

On top of that, despite the fact that I've been online and PC gaming since 1991 I never heard of the first 3 on your list, showing just how popular and market-defining they were.

I mean, although I never wanted to play them, I've at least heard of EVE Online, BC3000, the X Universe games, and the SW MMO space combat ones.

I want a game like Wing Commander or X Wing/TIE Fighter, that's all. The X games I tried and instantly dumped because the world was TOO open. It's like the space equivalent of Skyrim where all you have are the radiant quests and places to see, no main storyline to pull you in. Does that limit replayability? Sure, to a degree, but in that way it's no different than the story campaigns in any RTS or FPS.

The Jedi Master

#3822789 - 08/15/13 05:58 PM Re: Star Citizen update [Re: Jedi Master]  
Lancelot Offline
Lancelot  Offline

Buenos Aires, Argentina

I want a game like Wing Commander or X Wing/TIE Fighter, that's all.

Then the squadron 42 campaign is what you are looking for. Said several time by the developers that SQ42 its a classical wing commander type of game. And you can forget about the MMO aspect if you want.
You can get it now with the 40 dollars package, or when the game is released, at a higher price.
Also they mentioned that more content to SQ42 will be added once the game is released, like expansion packs/missions.

Si hay que huir, YO PRIMERO!!!
#3822795 - 08/15/13 06:05 PM Re: Star Citizen update [Re: Master]  
Lancelot Offline
Lancelot  Offline

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Originally Posted By: Master
If you choose not to do sq42 then you will be broke and have no ship and in order to get one you will have to crew other people's ships and do various jobs to earn money for your first ship.

Are you sure about this?
I´m almost convince it not the case. Even with the basic package, if you choose not to play the SQ42 campaign, you will start with the most basic ship, which is the Aurora. You are not forced to play as crew to earn enough credits to buy a ship.
There was requests from pledgers that wanted the option of start right from the botton, noh money at all. But as far as i know, it was not confirmed and also not stated it would be the case if you don´t play SQ42.

#3822819 - 08/15/13 06:29 PM Re: Star Citizen update [Re: Executed]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

All packages come with at least the aurora ship and a few months of insurance. I am talking about after that insurance has run out or if you start a second character (since your free ship will apply to only ONE of your characters at a time.)

They have confirmed a few times in interviews and posts that if you run out of insurance and you start a new guy he wont have anything starting out.

#3822823 - 08/15/13 06:36 PM Re: Star Citizen update [Re: Jedi Master]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
If it came out before 2010, that makes it old enough not to be current, hence my limit.

Quote:
Dark Horizon 2008
Space Force Rogue Universe 2007
Parkan 2...even had boarding and fps action inside the ships can't even find the date, appears to be around a decade
Freespace 2 is still going strong, and the BSG mod is amazing, just not complete same year as XWA, both are old enough I consider them first gen, mods don't make it current
Black Prophecy (MMO, shut down now for US AFAIK)as I said, MMOs don't count

So your list of "plenty" consists of games that are on average 10 years old or more with only one released in the last 5 years? Maybe you're having trouble keeping your head above water in this veritable flood, but I find my ankles are still dry.

On top of that, despite the fact that I've been online and PC gaming since 1991 I never heard of the first 3 on your list, showing just how popular and market-defining they were.

I mean, although I never wanted to play them, I've at least heard of EVE Online, BC3000, the X Universe games, and the SW MMO space combat ones.

I want a game like Wing Commander or X Wing/TIE Fighter, that's all. The X games I tried and instantly dumped because the world was TOO open. It's like the space equivalent of Skyrim where all you have are the radiant quests and places to see, no main storyline to pull you in. Does that limit replayability? Sure, to a degree, but in that way it's no different than the story campaigns in any RTS or FPS.

The Jedi Master

SOL: Exodus
Angle of Attack (even if you don't like the developer)
Strike Suit Zero

Regardless, your point is moot, since even if you don't like the release dates and haven't kept up with the game offerings, those games DO exist. Nothing like SC has ever been released or exists making it more valuable to enthusiasts.

#3822946 - 08/16/13 12:16 AM Re: Star Citizen update [Re: Executed]  
n4p0l3onic Offline
n4p0l3onic  Offline

Quote:
Nothing like SC has ever been released

that's what the X series is about, just minus the multiplayer/online thing.

#3822969 - 08/16/13 01:20 AM Re: Star Citizen update [Re: Master]  
Lancelot Offline
Lancelot  Offline

Buenos Aires, Argentina
All packages come with at least the aurora ship and a few months of insurance. I am talking about after that insurance has run out or if you start a second character (since your free ship will apply to only ONE of your characters at a time.)

They have confirmed a few times in interviews and posts that if you run out of insurance and you start a new guy he wont have anything starting out.

In that case i stand corrected and you are absolutely right.
For some people this is a complete turn off, but i must say i like it a lot, it adds a deeper layer of dificulty to the game. smile

#3823007 - 08/16/13 02:51 AM Re: Star Citizen update [Re: n4p0l3onic]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Quote:

No, this is going a lot further than the X games, and adding MP/MMO is huge. This one is aiming at the EVE juggernaut, but giving you more action than economics.

#3827279 - 08/26/13 03:26 AM Re: Star Citizen update [Re: Lancelot]  
Executed Offline
Executed  Offline

CT, USA
Originally Posted By: Lancelot
If you choose not to do sq42 then you will be broke and have no ship and in order to get one you will have to crew other people's ships and do various jobs to earn money for your first ship.

Are you sure about this?
I´m almost convince it not the case. Even with the basic package, if you choose not to play the SQ42 campaign, you will start with the most basic ship, which is the Aurora. You are not forced to play as crew to earn enough credits to buy a ship.
There was requests from pledgers that wanted the option of start right from the botton, noh money at all. But as far as i know, it was not confirmed and also not stated it would be the case if you don´t play SQ42.

When you purchase the game, you choose one of the packages that contains a ship. You can purchase individual ships, but you need a package with S42/SC in order to use them. Mercenary package is currently the least expensive that includes early access. You can probably get into a better ship quickly, even if you pledge the aurora.

The most interesting thing I find about this game so far is that not only is it entirely crowd funded, but the dev team is working with the community in all stages of testing. They are also adding content, and making changes to the game based on feedback from the community.

The first downloadable content is coming this week,with the Hangar Module on 8/29:

#3827796 - 08/27/13 06:42 AM Re: Star Citizen update [Re: Executed]  
n4p0l3onic Offline
n4p0l3onic  Offline

what exactly is that hangar module? a private car park floating in space somewhere in SC universe? do we have to pay for that? lol.

#3827954 - 08/27/13 04:00 PM Re: Star Citizen update [Re: Executed]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Do they validate?

#3828012 - 08/27/13 05:40 PM Re: Star Citizen update [Re: n4p0l3onic]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

what exactly is that hangar module? a private car park floating in space somewhere in SC universe? do we have to pay for that? lol.

The hangar module is just a way to see your pledge ship before the game releases. But it is a building block to the main game and they allow you to climb in your ship and mess around with stuff.

Every pledge ship comes with a free hangar to store you ship in ingame. But it is only on your starting planet so if you go to another planet you have to buy docking fees and hangar rentals.

#3828100 - 08/27/13 08:54 PM Re: Star Citizen update [Re: Executed]  
kestrel79 Offline
kestrel79  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
Very cool. I'm in with my Aurora. Thanks for the help Master! I've been catching up on all the Wingman videos and learning more about the game.

#3828139 - 08/27/13 10:49 PM Re: Star Citizen update [Re: Executed]  
CTR69 Offline
CTR69  Offline

Quick and great recap of SC

#3828198 - 08/28/13 02:24 AM Re: Star Citizen update [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
No Name Offline
Veteran
No Name  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Raw Kryptonite
Quote:

No, this is going a lot further than the X games, and adding MP/MMO is huge. This one is aiming at the EVE juggernaut, but giving you more action than economics.

Not like the X games at all really, which is a great thing, since that means we'll have two likely amazing and much different cockpit-based space sims coming out.

Mobo ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0)
Memory CORSAIR XMS3 8GB DDR3
GPU 2 EVGA 680 FTW 4GB
CPU Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz)
Drives 2 HITACHI Deskstar 3TB 2 Crucial 256 GB SSD Displays 3 HP ZR30w 30" monitors
UPS Cyberpower PP2200SW
PSU Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W
Case COOLER MASTER CM Storm Trooper
Drive LITE-ON Black 12X Blu-ray
CPU cooler Noctua 6 Dual Heatpipe
Fans COOLER MASTER SickleFlow 120
OS Windows 7 Premium
#3830354 - 09/01/13 08:00 PM Re: Star Citizen update [Re: Executed]  
Farcaster Offline
Farcaster  Offline

Toronto, Canada
I'm playing around with the Hangar and my three ships this weekend and it's very pretty, even for pre-Alpha. Even below minimum specs and getting 20ish FPS, the ships are just gorgeous. I've swapped some guns around on my ships using the Holotable, and that feature has already gotten a patch since release. New content is going to be added weekly, so I imagine all the new parts, guns and toys will come soon. I have three ships, a Hornet, a 315P and a Freelancer, all in a business class hangar.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron. Or else He's the dumbest designer that ever lived."
- Spider Robinson, Mindkiller
#3849415 - 10/13/13 02:50 AM Re: Star Citizen update [Re: Executed]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA
Just purchased the Bounty hunter package at $65 and have no clue where to DL this stuff or is not
even released yet.

Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7
3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k:
LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
#3849449 - 10/13/13 05:32 AM Re: Star Citizen update [Re: Executed]  
MojoFlow Offline
MojoFlow  Offline

Moose Jaw, SK Canada
Not released yet.

You can download the Hangar module after logging in on the site. The hangar module lets you see your ship, walk around it, and go inside, but not fly it.

In December they will release the dogfighting module, then you can fly you ship against others in deathmatch style dogfights.

Full game isn't out for a while yet.

#3849586 - 10/13/13 06:04 PM Re: Star Citizen update [Re: Executed]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

As Mojo said the full game wont be out for another year or so but they have the hangar module now and the dogfighting module later this year.

You can view the hangar module by downloading it here:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/hangar-module

#3849705 - 10/14/13 01:50 AM Re: Star Citizen update [Re: Executed]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA
Thanks all, was able to buy my big hanger for my 300I and Next gen Aurora and greycat PTV to play
around in side my huge hanger with jumps to play on with it. Still looking for that workbench I
purchased along with it.

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
#3849796 - 10/14/13 11:01 AM Re: Star Citizen update [Re: Executed]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Not sure where the workbench is in the Budget Hangar, but in the Business Hangar it is at the far end from where you start, beside the elevator to the upper walkway.
Budget Hangar with no Workbench

Business Hangar: workbench at far end ...

Workbench:

Last edited by Alicatt; 10/14/13 11:31 AM. Reason: add pics

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#3849859 - 10/14/13 02:24 PM Re: Star Citizen update [Re: Executed]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

In the deluxe hangar it is on the second level with the fishtank and holo clothes thing.

#3849884 - 10/14/13 03:44 PM Re: Star Citizen update [Re: Executed]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

In the budget the tank and holo clothes are just out of pic to the right, not seen anything new upstairs in the business yet, but then again I don't think I went upstairs since the update. The screen behind the buggy is where they play the video commercials.

Just wondering where they will put the Retaliator and Starfarer when they come into the game.

Clan Cameron
#3849910 - 10/14/13 05:18 PM Re: Star Citizen update [Re: Executed]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA
Crap, had to do another system restore with windows 8 and lost my my ability launch the game.
I can see the Star Citizen folder in my documents and its 3.8gb but the launcher when I try open it
just won`t open it up after logging in.

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
#3849917 - 10/14/13 05:37 PM Re: Star Citizen update [Re: Alicatt]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Alicatt
In the budget the tank and holo clothes are just out of pic to the right, not seen anything new upstairs in the business yet, but then again I don't think I went upstairs since the update. The screen behind the buggy is where they play the video commercials.

Just wondering where they will put the Retaliator and Starfarer when they come into the game.

The Retaliator will probably fit in the Deluxe hangar but the Starfarer Idris and maybe Caterpillar wont. There has been some talk of an exterior landing platform that might become the home for those two.

Also there is the pirate asteroid hangar that looks large enough for just about anything.
http://i.imgur.com/I57I6z8.jpg

#3850189 - 10/15/13 11:22 AM Re: Star Citizen update [Re: JimK]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

@JimK: You might have to re install it, I have read about other programs where you have had to do that with windows 8/8.1

Clan Cameron
#3850194 - 10/15/13 11:32 AM Re: Star Citizen update [Re: Master]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

The Retaliator will probably fit in the Deluxe hangar but the Starfarer Idris and maybe Caterpillar wont. There has been some talk of an exterior landing platform that might become the home for those two.

Also there is the pirate asteroid hangar that looks large enough for just about anything.
http://i.imgur.com/I57I6z8.jpg

From the looks of the airlock on the Tali, it could make the ship be about 67m long, will the deluxe hangar stretch that far?

I have not gone for the deluxe hangar and can wait until/if I get a Connie. I do have a Caterpillar and a Cutlass too, so I wonder if they will be shipped off to a separate Asteroid Hangar or will they remain in the Business one. The ship specs documents are just a little out of date as they massage the ships into the game smile

@Master: what is your handle on SC? mine is the same as here.

Clan Cameron
#3850432 - 10/15/13 08:44 PM Re: Star Citizen update [Re: Alicatt]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA
Originally Posted By: Alicatt
@JimK: You might have to re install it, I have read about other programs where you have had to do that with windows 8/8.1

Thanks, been a tough 24hr reboot and repair. Windows 8 really sucks. Damn updates kept screwing up my computer
where I could not even get tot he system restore, and the only way I could shut it down was hold the power button.
But I was able to repair it with the Windows 8 disk and find a safe restore point where I could turn off auto
updates. Re-downloading Star Citizen now. Just wish there would have been away to save the entire install instead
re-downloading the entire 3.7gb SC.

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
#3850955 - 10/17/13 01:44 AM Re: Star Citizen update [Re: Executed]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA
Deluxe Hanger with workbench

Taking a nap in my Next Generation Aurora.

Origin Jumpworks 300i.

Checking out my jump course for my Greycat PTV

Just about made this jump.

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Hans Zimmer North American concert tour 2024
by NoFlyBoy. 03/16/24 10:54 PM
Steam Spring Sale.
by RedToo. 03/15/24 09:09 PM
Starship Attempt Three
by F4UDash4. 03/14/24 12:06 PM
This is one cool turbofan model
by Zamzow. 03/14/24 02:41 AM
Map Errors
by F4UDash4. 03/13/24 11:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.