As a simple joystick user myself, I made this HOKAS chart in an attempt to improve my previous example. The idea is to stick close to a real HOTAS and its commands (rule 1) by using a simple stick + basic First Person Shooter keys for easy-to-recall and ergonomic keycombos (rule 2). My chart is based on an MS Sidewinder or Force Feedback but it can basically be used for any stick as long as it has:

1. A trigger
2. A hat switch
3. Three buttons which can be seen (with a little imagination) in a forward, centre, aft fashion but can also be used independently of each other as opposed to an actual three-way switch.

During its design I attempted to include the following logic while sticking to rule 1 and rule 2:

1. No modifier: basic commands which require fast access.
2. W, A, S, and D modifiers: full control of the A-10C's systems, the targetting laser, and the external lights.
3. LShift modifier: radio control and flight control/LASTE.
4. LCtrl: no actual HOTAS commands and should therefore be forgotten during flight/combat, although useful to have at your side during take-offs and landings.
[Optional]
5. Space: view commands. Can be disregarded when using FreeTrack/TIR.

I would like to get feedback from you in how this chart can be improved with respect to sticking close to a real HOTAS but most importantly with respect to easy-to-recall and ergonomic keycombos. Perhaps in my enthousiasm I'm overseeing obstructions, limitations, or other errors. Currently the most difficult part is managing DMS, TMS, Boat switch, and China hat, but I feel this is also partially due to the design of the actual commands.

Helpful replies are greatly appreciated!

These are the links for an overview and the actual chart which has the mappings roughly positioned in the way the keys are located on the keyboard. Chart can be printed on an A4 format sheet in a landscape orientation without resizing.
Overview
Chart

Notes:
* I deliberately mapped NWS twice, once in the systems category to control the targetting laser and once in the take-offs and landings catergy to act as the actual nosewheel steering toggle. I felt these two should get seperate places in order to not mix totally different functions on the same key.

** I thought about using LCtrl + Hat in the non-HOTAS commands category for:

up: small throttle increase per second/tick
down: small throttle decrease per second/tick
right: full throttle
left: kill/idle throttle,

but I find this to be too much of a personal preference and too far off the actual way of how the throttle is controlled in the real AC. However, everyone's free to map whatever they like ofcourse.

*** I have no scientific explanation at hand for the colour schemes I used. Somehow (in my crazy head) they just felt appropriate and aided in remembering the commands.

Last edited by JayPee; 08/12/13 04:55 PM.