Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#3814785 - 07/26/13 07:29 PM Re: How much are WE willing to pay to fly COMBAT FLIGHT SIMS ? [Re: jaydee]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

As it looks right now there's alot of us paying $90 with a smile smile
To me, those 90 bucks weigh in low compared to the hours I spent in C# environment trying to learn both C# and the quirks of IL2dover (and often failing so) in all kinds of attempts creating missions.
What I'm saying is the entry cost in pure "dollares" is not as costly to me compared to the hours of spare time I lose when the product show to be failing at most entries (such as bugs reappearing every second patch).

#3814974 - 07/27/13 08:28 AM Re: How much are WE willing to pay to fly COMBAT FLIGHT SIMS ? [Re: jaydee]  
Mogster Offline
Hotshot
Mogster  Offline
Hotshot

England
I'm OK with paying at the current price level, I've just pre ordered BOS.

Would I pay more? Probably if a sim was available that ticked a lot of boxes for me. If my perfect sim came along then I'd be willing to pay more.

WAS C2D 8500 3.16ghz, 285gtx 1gb, 4gig ram, XP NOW Win7 64, I5 2500K, SSD, 8Gig ram, GTX 570
#3815071 - 07/27/13 03:58 PM Re: How much are WE willing to pay to fly COMBAT FLIGHT SIMS ? [Re: Mogster]  
Taxman Offline
Taxman  Offline

Portland, OR USA
I did my preorder also for $90. I also bought ROF IC at full price a few years ago and I have never loaded it up, I did this only to support the developers. As I am a WWII fan I will support BOS, as I have COD, and of course IL-2 from the first thru 1946.

Then going way back there was SWOTL, ACES series, plus a few others including EAW and PAW. Along the way there where many computer up grades along with graphic cards etc., which has led me to become computer simi literate.

It's been a great ride and I expect that it will continue, and don't forget the new WWII DCS that is coming along, and I will also buy that title.

cheers

Taxes are my part time profession, flying is my passion.
#3815271 - 07/28/13 05:52 AM Re: How much are WE willing to pay to fly COMBAT FLIGHT SIMS ? [Re: jaydee]  
Wklink Offline
Permanent Latrine Orderly
Wklink  Offline
Permanent Latrine Orderly
Hotshot

Olympia, Washington
Oh, I'll probably pre-order the game as well, as soon as my overtime pay comes in.

I have not problem paying a hundred bucks for a game, I generally buy 1-3 games a year at this point (not counting review stuff) so the cost really isn't that big a deal.

I do find it funny when some people complain about paying 60 bucks a game have no qualms about dropping 400 bucks on a HOTAS system to run it.

But, before I drop a large amount on a preorder I have to feel comfortable that the company will produce a decent product. In the case of 777 there is a decent track record. In addition 1c, despite the issues with CloD has generally produced decent flight simulations. Even CloD wasn't that bad, it just didn't live up to the hype, something that it probably would never be able to do.

The artist formerly known as SimHq Tom Cofield
#3815351 - 07/28/13 03:01 PM Re: How much are WE willing to pay to fly COMBAT FLIGHT SIMS ? [Re: jaydee]  
Hunziker Offline
Hunziker  Offline

England
The good thing about the new Sturmovik game for me personally is that there is the 2 tier pricing system.

It means I can buy it for me at full price and for my son with a clear conscience for $50 or whatever it is and then force him to fly as my wingman when it goes retail.

win-win situation duel

Above Us Only Sky
#3815800 - 07/29/13 05:37 PM Re: How much are WE willing to pay to fly COMBAT FLIGHT SIMS ? [Re: jaydee]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
It also means those of use who can't afford the higher price at all (and in fact may not be able to afford the lower price either frown ) still have an entry point. Earlier access, two more planes, and "perks" that are not necessary for enjoyment of the game are left out, but those 2 planes will be available for extra later, just like ROF's setup.

I admit I'm not a fan of the unlockable idea, but it's only 2 planes and while I love the 190 I accept it.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3815851 - 07/29/13 07:30 PM Re: How much are WE willing to pay to fly COMBAT FLIGHT SIMS ? [Re: jaydee]  
Pizzicato Offline
Asleep at the Wheel
Pizzicato  Offline
Asleep at the Wheel

Vancouver, BC
I've also just pre-ordered at $90. It's not the sort of thing I'd usually do, but I admire Jason and the 777 guys, I want Il-2 to return to its illustrious heights and, quite frankly, this is a genre that's given me a HUGE amount of pleasure over the past 30 years, so I want it to survive and thrive.

---------
Pizzicato
#3815977 - 07/30/13 01:07 AM Re: How much are WE willing to pay to fly COMBAT FLIGHT SIMS ? [Re: jaydee]  
kestrel79 Offline
kestrel79  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
I just took the plunge as well. This sim looks like the future to me. The pre-alpha videos as well as the track record of 777 studios sold me.

Intel i5 2500k // Asus P8P67 // 16GB G.Skill RAM // RX480 8GB // 27" monitor // VKB Black Mamba Mk.III // Warthog Throttle // TFRP Pedals // W7
#3816006 - 07/30/13 03:52 AM Re: How much are WE willing to pay to fly COMBAT FLIGHT SIMS ? [Re: jaydee]  
Aero Offline
Aero  Offline

Milwaukee, USA
I find WW2 sims most appealing specifically because they can be near DCS-level "hardcore" but still very approachable because the planes just aren't that complicated for the most part. I don't have switch to A-A mode, set the MFD to FCR, TWS, TMS-up twice, uncage, wait for the DLZ to reach MTR, realize I'm mixing up the steps for an AIM-9 and an AIM-120, and then explode for apparently no reason after lots of beeping and buzzing noises that meant nothing to me while I'm looking for page 189 in the manual. I just get on his tail, put the crossy-thing in front of the planey-thing and pull the trigger.

WWI, on the other hand, is a little too far the other way. So, I've been wanting a WW2 sim based on the ROF engine with the ROF business model for some time, and it seems that's kind of where they're headed (I'm not super clear here, getting sort of mixed messages). I don't have a lot of money, but the $150 or so I've put into ROF over the last couple years really seems like almost nothing at all. After the initial investment (I think I bought the Iron Cross Edition or something, which I probably didn't even really need to do at that point), it's been $10 here and $10 there, which is great. Every so often a new plane I'm interested in gets released, and for the price of a movie ticket, I get something that will keep me occupied for at least a weekend. They also can keep updating the engine, so even if I don't have any money, interesting things still happen because other people are buying stuff.

Basically, it seems to me that 777 has been about as successful with ROF as you could hope for in the flight sim business, and I'd love for this to continue and grow with both ROF and IL-2 content, covering the first World Wars. If the Korean War should pop up at some time in the future, I sure wouldn't mind driving a Sabre or Mig around either.

#3816176 - 07/30/13 03:49 PM Re: How much are WE willing to pay to fly COMBAT FLIGHT SIMS ? [Re: jaydee]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
Aero I feel the same way, WWII is the sweet spot for air to air combat and pure ACM. Even though I still immensely enjoy DCS and RoF to no end wink.

I'm a fan of options. Depending on bills I may have 10 or 100 bucks to spend on a sim. Not everyone is loaded 24/7. A product that is only extremely expensive means my family and friends won't bother buying either if they're not hardcore into sims.

RoF has a decent model with balance; I'd like having more planes for free but I don't feel bad buying them one at a time on the cheap over time. I'm certainly not a rich person by any stretch of the imagination but I've probably spent well over 100 bucks in RoF over the years since it originally released.

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#3816192 - 07/30/13 04:17 PM Re: How much are WE willing to pay to fly COMBAT FLIGHT SIMS ? [Re: Aero]  
EinsteinEP Offline
Just a Noob
EinsteinEP  Offline
Just a Noob

Tucson, AZ
Well said, Aero, but especially this...

Originally Posted By: Aero
If the Korean War should pop up at some time in the future, I sure wouldn't mind driving a Sabre or Mig around either.

omgomgomgomgomgomg

Shoot to Kill.
Play to Have Fun.
#3816198 - 07/30/13 04:32 PM Re: How much are WE willing to pay to fly COMBAT FLIGHT SIMS ? [Re: jaydee]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
Not to derail the thread but why is Korea and Vietnam passed over so often in flight sims? They're both situations with relatively matched forces in heavy combat with aircraft that are more or less declassified.

This is coming from someone who played CFS and X-Wing, didn't play sims for ages, then came in with IL-2, DCS, etc.

#3816469 - 07/31/13 04:28 AM Re: How much are WE willing to pay to fly COMBAT FLIGHT SIMS ? [Re: jaydee]  
IV/JG7trumps Offline
IV/JG7trumps  Offline

Perth australia
I quite like the RoF sales model, seems to be working out ok for the dev team from what i can see, I rarely play RoF as the lack of viable online action in Australia kills it, ocassionaly crank up the Beta campaign for a bit of fun. even with the limited play i get out of it i still have bought nearly all the aircraft released, and the chanel map, works for me!
i would happily pay $100 for BoS's initial release, and then pay the same sort of coin as charged for RoF additions there after.
Hope it all works out for the team, looking forward to it, looks like the only wayour favourite genre can survive. Any way I won't work for free, so why should game developers wink

The problem with the World is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
#3816668 - 07/31/13 05:43 PM Re: How much are WE willing to pay to fly COMBAT FLIGHT SIMS ? [Re: Peally]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Originally Posted By: Peally
Not to derail the thread but why is Korea and Vietnam passed over so often in flight sims? They're both situations with relatively matched forces in heavy combat with aircraft that are more or less declassified.

This is coming from someone who played CFS and X-Wing, didn't play sims for ages, then came in with IL-2, DCS, etc.

Probably familiarity for one. Outside of our community, what films or TV shows have recently been made about Korea or Vietnam that featured the air war that would raise awareness of them?

WWII is everywhere, people see those planes all the time. Modern stuff is on the news, the web, and at airshows.

Second, difficulty. I think to fly and fight effectively in those early jets was far more difficult than many appreciate. Stalls and spins were far more difficult to recover from, the jets had insufficient power to just turn and burn all day, the weapons other than the guns were wildly inaccurate or unreliable, and the guns were hard to use because of the high speeds and low agility of many of the planes.

In short, if I was making a startup flight sim product, I would start either with 80s-or-later jets, or WWII. Then I'd expand to the other one if I had excess capacity. THEN I would consider making Nam or Korea as a 3rd series once I was established and my company name could bring people in without relying on their knowledge of "the other" 20th century air conflicts.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3816686 - 07/31/13 06:08 PM Re: How much are WE willing to pay to fly COMBAT FLIGHT SIMS ? [Re: jaydee]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
Bah where's the fun in that. I'd love to have "modern" air combat with less than 99% hit effective missiles biggrin

#3816705 - 07/31/13 06:32 PM Re: How much are WE willing to pay to fly COMBAT FLIGHT SIMS ? [Re: Peally]  
enigma6584 Offline
enigma6584  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
Originally Posted By: Peally

I agree with you. Would love to see a Vietnam or Korea flight sim. I think Jedi Master is correct though in why we probably don't see it. I do how-ever believe DCS is positioning themselves to possibly do this type of simulation era or at least a third party via the DCS modules. Already one of the third parties is making or will make a Sabre aircraft and I thought I read a Mig-19 but I could be mistaken on that. Never-the-less, I'd say the odds are good we will see these theaters.

#3816711 - 07/31/13 06:56 PM Re: How much are WE willing to pay to fly COMBAT FLIGHT SIMS ? [Re: jaydee]  
EinsteinEP Offline
Just a Noob
EinsteinEP  Offline
Just a Noob

Tucson, AZ
The F-86 and MiG-15 platforms symbolize the birth of jet dogfights - that reason alone makes the genre mouth-wateringly attractive, at least for me.

The lack of BVR weapons makes each and every fight personal, which is what makes WWI and WWII dogfighting so attractive as well. Don't get me wrong, BVR combat is exciting and satisfying in its own way, but there's nothing like the feeling of circling around another aircraft, trying to put your pipper on him before he can put his on you. Add jet speeds to the mix and it all happens that much faster.

<drool>

Shoot to Kill.
Play to Have Fun.
#3816731 - 07/31/13 08:08 PM Re: How much are WE willing to pay to fly COMBAT FLIGHT SIMS ? [Re: jaydee]  
enigma6584 Offline
enigma6584  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
+1 thumbsup

#3816778 - 07/31/13 10:15 PM Re: How much are WE willing to pay to fly COMBAT FLIGHT SIMS ? [Re: jaydee]  
Dervish Offline
Hotshot
Dervish  Offline
Hotshot

yep, a new Mig Alley would be awesome

FTX Global
#3816857 - 08/01/13 02:26 AM Re: How much are WE willing to pay to fly COMBAT FLIGHT SIMS ? [Re: jaydee]  
HogDriver Offline
Retired Flight Simmer
HogDriver  Offline
Retired Flight Simmer

I just want the entire game for $50-60 like we used to get years ago. $20 expansion packs every few months are good as well, as long as the content is SIGNIFICANT. Not a plane or two, with a few missions included.... I definitely do NOT want to be paying $5-15 again for 1 aircraft like in ROF.

I'm not willing to pay more than $100 USD for the full game. (before later expansions)

I refuse to pay an exorbitant price simply because it's a niche genre. Train Simulator DLC anyone?

I refuse to buy a flight sim that I have no interest in playing, on the off chance that MAYBE someday they'll make the one I really want to play.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  CyBerkut, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.