Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#3814735 - 07/26/13 05:42 PM Re: Update Fiasco [Re: Blooze]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Yeah, SF isn't a good counter example. Sometimes there's a year without a patch...and then it comes and BREAKS perfectly working stuff before without adding anything significant...and it doesn't even have MP. However, there's usually a "patch for the patch" soon after.

Even ROF, which probably has the best record of patching of any still current sim, has had to release a "b" hotfix patch every 2nd or 3rd patch because something slipped through. However, ROF has a newer code base. ED is still culling legacy LOMAC code from DCS World, and there's a chance that one of those bits has ramifications elsewhere they didn't count on or notice and when "new module" replaced "old" something seemingly unrelated broke because "old" was involved and "new" is not.

In an ideal world, DCS would've started off with a brand new code base with little to no LOMAC code reused. But this isn't an ideal world for ED. It is what it is. You either accept that this is what DCS World will be for the near future, or you give up and go elsewhere.

I seriously doubt posts of "this should not have happened!" are any news to ED. That's like saying "that plane shouldn't have crashed!" It's not constructive, it's just criticism.

Talking about what modules or features ED should focus on making is at least constructive, even if it's done in a non-helpful way. Whining about the poor state of a patch is just crowning yourself Capt Obvious. To presume that without your complaints the company would think bad patches an acceptable practice is pretty naive.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3814782 - 07/26/13 07:25 PM Re: Update Fiasco [Re: Jedi Master]  
Blooze Offline
Blooze  Offline

Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
Yeah, SF isn't a good counter example. Sometimes there's a year without a patch...and then it comes and BREAKS perfectly working stuff before without adding anything significant...and it doesn't even have MP. However, there's usually a "patch for the patch" soon after.

Even ROF, which probably has the best record of patching of any still current sim, has had to release a "b" hotfix patch every 2nd or 3rd patch because something slipped through. However, ROF has a newer code base. ED is still culling legacy LOMAC code from DCS World, and there's a chance that one of those bits has ramifications elsewhere they didn't count on or notice and when "new module" replaced "old" something seemingly unrelated broke because "old" was involved and "new" is not.

In an ideal world, DCS would've started off with a brand new code base with little to no LOMAC code reused. But this isn't an ideal world for ED. It is what it is. You either accept that this is what DCS World will be for the near future, or you give up and go elsewhere.

I seriously doubt posts of "this should not have happened!" are any news to ED. That's like saying "that plane shouldn't have crashed!" It's not constructive, it's just criticism.

Talking about what modules or features ED should focus on making is at least constructive, even if it's done in a non-helpful way. Whining about the poor state of a patch is just crowning yourself Capt Obvious. To presume that without your complaints the company would think bad patches an acceptable practice is pretty naive.

The Jedi Master

It is obvious to me that ED does indeed think that bad patches are acceptable or they wouldn’t keep doing it. IMO the reason they are so careless is that they know they have no viable competition that offers a comparable product and in essence they are saying “take it or leave it” and it’s that kind of arrogance that makes my blood boil.

#3814784 - 07/26/13 07:27 PM Re: Update Fiasco [Re: Blooze]  
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot
GrayGhost  Offline
Hotshot

Will your blood boil more if I told you that you're wrong? smile

--
44th VFW
#3814786 - 07/26/13 07:32 PM Re: Update Fiasco [Re: Blooze]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

Since it's far from a first I'd say Blooze is closer to the truth.
In my universe only of course.
But feel free to boil at me.

#3814797 - 07/26/13 08:00 PM Re: Update Fiasco [Re: Blooze]  
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot
GrayGhost  Offline
Hotshot

Nope, he's rather far from it.

Bad releases are not just bad PR, they're bad for efficiency. Efficiency is money gained/money spent, and time equals money, at least if you want to believe that ED does things the way it does because there's no competition and they don't care about PR.

Any way you slice it, you make more money by being more efficient.

Unless you want to claim that they also don't care about money, that is.

Last edited by GrayGhost; 07/26/13 08:02 PM.

--
44th VFW
#3814832 - 07/26/13 08:52 PM Re: Update Fiasco [Re: GrayGhost]  
Blooze Offline
Blooze  Offline

Originally Posted By: GrayGhost
Will your blood boil more if I told you that you're wrong? smile

Not at all. I am not one of those that claims to be the keeper of universal truth. I have only expressed my opinion and you are certainly entitled to do the same.

#3814870 - 07/26/13 10:16 PM Re: Update Fiasco [Re: Hellfire257]  
SUBS_17 Offline
SUBS_17  Offline

Originally Posted By: Hellfire257
Well there's almost one every day for ARMA3 if you're on the development branch, but that usually introduces new problems too. The difference is, I opted in for using the dev branch and taking the risk. If I don't like it I can pick the stable branch.

There's also patches for the Strike Fighters series, those are usually good. Then there is ARMA2 beta patches which are mostly problem free. In the RTS/Sim section we have Wargame:ALB which is getting regular patches that do not introduce new problems. Oh, and don't forget Rise of Flight.

It seems that ED is the odd one out here, and it doesn't seem to be so special that patches are delivered for free either. If these other developers can manage it, why can't ED? Why does it happen consistently as well?

Everything points to a lackluster testing program.

To compare to Arma, DCS is a aircraft combat sim and is very complex. Also it is in the process of going to a new graphics engine. The demands on a PC by something like DCS is a lot more than any FPS because of the weapons being modelled and systems/AI etc. The ME has had a lot of improvements recently and these are IMO heading towards a DC in the future. Of course when the ME gets new features it effects missions and so those missions have to be fixed to be compatible with the latest patch. Remember as well as patches to fix stuff we also are lucky to get new content in these patches like newer better 3d models etc. With the Autoupdater it makes patches very easy compared to most other sims/games and it is very good that ED has already released an update to the latest patch rather than having to reinstall the whole sim and roll back to a previous patch.

"Trust me I know what I'm doing" Detective Sledge Hammer
#3815159 - 07/27/13 09:07 PM Re: Update Fiasco [Re: Blooze]  
Hellfire257 Offline
Hellfire257  Offline

I've modded ARMA from top to bottom almost, and the engine is quite capable, I assure you. Complexity is no excuse for bad testing, but that's not what I want to address just yet. I'm willing to speculate the majority of the "complexity" comes from relying on a legacy code base that is nearly 10 years old. We all know the lesson of building a house on the sand.

Regardless, this is all bread and circuses. You can skirt around the issue as much as you like, but poor testing is a clear problem. I'm not the first to raise this issue and I wont be the last; why wont people acknowledge it?

#3815230 - 07/28/13 02:01 AM Re: Update Fiasco [Re: Blooze]  
Fridge Offline
Fridge  Offline

Fredericton, NB, Canada
Because testing is one of the first things cut when a deadline approaches.

This isn't a new problem in software development and release.

Or might I point to this link.

It is getting patched and fixed. Can we move on?

Last edited by Fridge; 07/28/13 02:03 AM.

Fridge
----------
Things which do you no good in aviation:
1) Altitude above you;
2) Runway behind you;
3) Fuel in the truck;
4) The airspeed you don't have.
#3815248 - 07/28/13 04:39 AM Re: Update Fiasco [Re: Blooze]  
DCS_is_Awesome Offline
DCS_is_Awesome  Offline

anyone else getting weird white little sparkles / circles on the canopy ?
It appears as Iam looking at the sun thru a mountain

http://i.imgur.com/8DyTnnL.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/RxbXqNK.jpg

#3815263 - 07/28/13 05:37 AM Re: Update Fiasco [Re: Blooze]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

You mean the scratches on the canopy?

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#3815266 - 07/28/13 05:45 AM Re: Update Fiasco [Re: Blooze]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
Huh looks like they brought that feature back. Not something I remember seeing in the game since LOMAC.

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#3815296 - 07/28/13 12:17 PM Re: Update Fiasco [Re: komemiute]  
MigBuster Offline
MigBuster  Offline

UK
Originally Posted By: komemiute
You mean the scratches on the canopy?

Looks really good actually - BMS did the same with Falcon.

Interesting how it's been misinterpreted

'Crashing and Burning since 1987'
#3815329 - 07/28/13 02:10 PM Re: Update Fiasco [Re: Blooze]  
DCS_is_Awesome Offline
DCS_is_Awesome  Offline

these marks are only visible when looking toward the sun

Even if the sun is behind an object eg a mountain you see these marks , they kinda shimmer
I dont think its cockpit scratches but some sort of graphics bug (but I could be wrong)

#3815333 - 07/28/13 02:21 PM Re: Update Fiasco [Re: Blooze]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

You see those marks at night?

I would assume it's right they appear also if the sun is behind an object because as long as light hit's them there's going to be refraction...

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#3815361 - 07/28/13 03:29 PM Re: Update Fiasco [Re: Hellfire257]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA

Regardless, this is all bread and circuses. You can skirt around the issue as much as you like, but poor testing is a clear problem. I'm not the first to raise this issue and I wont be the last; why wont people acknowledge it?

[admin edit: no personal attacks]

Who said testing was NOT the problem? That more testing would NOT have found the omissions before the patch was released? Perhaps some people are making excuses for it, perhaps not, but no one said "no, the level of testing is adequate" or "they should test less."

Your highlighting of the obvious does not remedy the problem at all. Pointing it out will offer no changes whatsoever because ED already knows even if they didn't take out a full page ad in the NYT proclaiming "bad patch result of inadequate testing." Especially because as the quick hotfix demonstrated, it wasn't actually missed. They pushed out the wrong patch, which is a pretty simply matter of clicking on the wrong things. This wasn't a patch that they thought worked that actually didn't and needed more coding time to work out. They just needed to make a quick patch to take the one that WAS pushed out to the level it should've been, that's all.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3815363 - 07/28/13 03:36 PM Re: Update Fiasco [Re: Jedi Master]  
Blooze Offline
Blooze  Offline

Originally Posted By: Jedi Master

Who said testing was NOT the problem? That more testing would NOT have found the omissions before the patch was released? Perhaps some people are making excuses for it, perhaps not, but no one said "no, the level of testing is adequate" or "they should test less."

Your highlighting of the obvious does not remedy the problem at all. Pointing it out will offer no changes whatsoever because ED already knows even if they didn't take out a full page ad in the NYT proclaiming "bad patch result of inadequate testing." Especially because as the quick hotfix demonstrated, it wasn't actually missed. They pushed out the wrong patch, which is a pretty simply matter of clicking on the wrong things. This wasn't a patch that they thought worked that actually didn't and needed more coding time to work out. They just needed to make a quick patch to take the one that WAS pushed out to the level it should've been, that's all.

The Jedi Master

Another ED blasphemer eh? I say stone him!!!

#3815383 - 07/28/13 04:36 PM Re: Update Fiasco [Re: Blooze]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Yes, because the world is black and white, and if I disagree with any stupid old anti-ED statement made, I MUST therefore be a blind sycophant. Congrats, you get TWO SimHQ Forum Dollars for your ability to see through this cleverly hidden (but not from you!) disguise.

Guess you weren't around when I was arguing with EvilBol and some others about how upset I was over the direction ED was going with its products? Back when it seemed like their path was Black Shark, then 3 yrs later A-10, then 3 yrs later SOMETHING, and they were never going to touch any platform they couldn't get extensive data access to ie old platforms or ones they had military contracts on. I was very tough on them for what I perceived as a narrow perspective on the market and what I felt was a recipe for failure. Just ask them, some of them even claimed I was "bashing" ED because I simply thought their business model was stupid. Not the products, mind you, but their marketing strategy and direction they were taking the series.

Fortunately, ED went with DCS World, 3rd parties, and the Flaming Cliffs-level plane modeling ideas that meant DCS was not going to be limited to one uber-modeled product every 3 years with little to connect them. Now we're going to get a real electronic battlefield simulator that we've been waiting for since 1991. I claim no credit for this perceived change in direction. As we all know, ED makes decisions all the time that they don't make public, so they could've been planning this even while I was ranting they were headed to nowhere. Likewise, I'm sure that even if they weren't it was simple money realities that dictated their change. They can't afford to make just one high-resourced product every 3 years, not unless they sell Call of Duty numbers.

So it wasn't my amazing highlighting of their mistakes that caused them to alter course, it was their own management looking at what needed to be done.

Some day I will figure out why people think that if you disagree with them at all, you must be against them.

The Jedi Master

#3815391 - 07/28/13 04:51 PM Re: Update Fiasco [Re: Blooze]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

Having a bad day Jedi?

#3815401 - 07/28/13 05:10 PM Re: Update Fiasco [Re: komemiute]  
DCS_is_Awesome Offline
DCS_is_Awesome  Offline

Originally Posted By: komemiute
You see those marks at night?

I would assume it's right they appear also if the sun is behind an object because as long as light hit's them there's going to be refraction...

I will have a look later on to see if the appear at night

Refraction ? hmmm light refracting through a solid mountain made of rock ?

To be clearer , there is the sun , then a mountain (made of rock) and then the helicopter window , the mountain is fully blocking the sun out.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.