Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#3813951 - 07/24/13 08:35 PM Update Fiasco  
Blooze Offline
Blooze  Offline

Due to the latest update not one of the multiplayer missions in my inventory is functioning properly. Either they crash at start or crash mid way through. The few that still played at all no longer responded to the triggers within the mission. I have a sinking feeling that a solution will be hard to find and many hours of hard work given by the mission designers will end up in the recycle bin. The only solution I see at this point would be to update back to 1.2.4, find the problem and try to update again. If one has a pre-update back up copy of the missions available then perhaps they would still be viable. I have been disappointed in ED's foulups in the past but this one really causes me to lose faith in them. After all.....how hard would it have been to test the new build with a few user created missions before hand. The results would have been obvious within minutes. duh

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3813963 - 07/24/13 09:05 PM Re: Update Fiasco [Re: Blooze]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
They're a small team; not a great track record in QA for whatever reason. It is what it is.

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#3813977 - 07/24/13 09:47 PM Re: Update Fiasco [Re: Blooze]  
Snoopy_476th Offline
Snoopy_476th  Offline

Warner Robins Ga, USA
ED is aware of the issues with old missions and this update and are working to correct. Remember us testers are volunteers, we do the best we can but we can't find everything.

As a matter of fact a handful of us tested MP this past weekend and many of the issues that appeared with this update we didn't see (green explosions is one example).

#3813978 - 07/24/13 09:48 PM Re: Update Fiasco [Re: Blooze]  
SkateZilla Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
SkateZilla  Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran

Virginia Beach, VA
they cant really test every configuration...

isnt it like this with every Major DCSW version release?

1.2.x is released, good for a day, then lots of bugs come up as people transition their missions and stuff.

Several updates for 1.2.x.xxxx to fix those bugs.

Calm seas, then the next Major release comes out, repeat.

With the amount of stuff they introduced in 1.2.5, im surprised it was out this quick...

from what i read, most of the bigger bugs are already fixed internally...

Last edited by SkateZilla; 07/24/13 09:50 PM.

HAF922, Corsair RM850, ASRock Fata1ity 990FX Pro,
Modified Corsair H100, AMD FX8350 @ 5.31GHz, 16GB G.SKILL@DDR2133,
2x R7970 Lightnings, +1 HD7950 @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Fata1ity Platinum Champ.,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns�G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050), Oculus Rift CV
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throt., Pro Pedals, TM Warthog & MFDs, Fanatec CSR Wheel/Shifter, Elite Pedals
Intensity Pro 10-Bit, TrackIR 4 Pro, WD Black 1.5TB, WD Black 640GB, Samsung 850 500GB, My Book 4TB
#3813998 - 07/24/13 10:16 PM Re: Update Fiasco [Re: Blooze]  
SUBS_17 Offline
SUBS_17  Offline

The latest update is quite a big one so its no surprise that some bugs slipped through but its still good that they fix the issues with patches and continue to support the sim. I just flew a mp mission and did not see any issues if its related to a mission then you should open it in the Me and see if you can find which part of the mission is the problem.

"Trust me I know what I'm doing" Detective Sledge Hammer
#3814101 - 07/25/13 08:54 AM Re: Update Fiasco [Re: Blooze]  
Silver_Dragon Offline
Silver_Dragon  Offline

Arafo, Canary Islands, Spain
I dont think 1.2.5 has a "fiasco". The incoming today hotfix can resorve some important bugs, and the next week others more. DCS: W has a big program and need very careless programing to maintanig working, and the future (EDGE, 3rd Parties, etc), make them more biggest and get more and more problems to maintaing fixed, expected ED optimized them with the time. Today has a "hotfix", wait to see them.

More News to the Front
#3814116 - 07/25/13 11:23 AM Re: Update Fiasco [Re: Blooze]  
JayBones Offline
JayBones  Offline

Canberra, Australia
Fiasco? Pull your head in, Princess. I don't like sounding like a Troll, but DCS World and all it's modules is amazingly complex software. I didn't write a line of code for this but I'm a professional Software Engineer and I'm in awe of this product. ED put out a new update and you lost some functionality which is always disappointing to the user, but believe that the devs are 10 x disappointed, as I know the feeling. But you jump up and down throwing a tantrum using words like "fiasco". How about acting like an adult and submit the defect to the devs and move on with life.

Last edited by JayBones; 07/25/13 11:24 AM.
#3814125 - 07/25/13 11:56 AM Re: Update Fiasco [Re: JayBones]  
Blooze Offline
Blooze  Offline

Originally Posted By: JayBones
Fiasco? Pull your head in, Princess. I don't like sounding like a Troll, but DCS World and all it's modules is amazingly complex software. I didn't write a line of code for this but I'm a professional Software Engineer and I'm in awe of this product. ED put out a new update and you lost some functionality which is always disappointing to the user, but believe that the devs are 10 x disappointed, as I know the feeling. But you jump up and down throwing a tantrum using words like "fiasco". How about acting like an adult and submit the defect to the devs and move on with life.

If you think that was a tantrum then check REAL RANT out. I think they need some of your wise counseling as well. Thank God we have wise, mature, level headed folks like yourself to correct us in our moments of weakness. I am humbled by your greatness and grateful that you have brought me back to my senses. What was I thinking??? How did I dare wander from the role of complacent and loyal soldier? I hang my head in shame.

#3814139 - 07/25/13 01:02 PM Re: Update Fiasco [Re: Blooze]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

@Blooze: Not mean to defend JayB, he's big enough... But I followed your link and you sound exactly like those guys... What's your point?

Absolutely not wanting to patronize anyone, but ED clearly stated they are looking into it. Chill, you surely have other things to do. Wait for the fix and then we'll all see where that does lead.

It's just a game and we're all humans...

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#3814143 - 07/25/13 01:22 PM Re: Update Fiasco [Re: Blooze]  
MigBuster Offline
MigBuster  Offline

UK
Seen this so many times over the years in every game and sim etc - basically the only thing to understand is that if they spent months/years testing every possible scenario before release:

1. There would still be bugs in it.
2. they'd be going out of business.

So its a compromise - and just the way it is..............

'Crashing and Burning since 1987'
#3814145 - 07/25/13 01:29 PM Re: Update Fiasco [Re: Blooze]  
Lion Offline
Lion  Offline

Canada
If ED had no bugs on a patch/software release, they'd be out of a job. :p

#3814149 - 07/25/13 01:36 PM Re: Update Fiasco [Re: Lion]  
Thomasew Offline
Thomasew  Offline

South Africa
Originally Posted By: Lion
If ED had no bugs on a patch/software release, they'd be out of a job. :p

Eh! .. wrong! If all they do is fix bugs etc., .. then there is no NEW income from new projects/modules, .. which would allow them to keep their jobs. yep

Working incessantly on patches/bugs etc., .. means they might all be out of a job pretty soonish. sigh

Cheers
Tom

He Who Will Not Risk Cannot Win.
#3814156 - 07/25/13 02:14 PM Re: Update Fiasco [Re: Blooze]  
EinsteinEP Offline
Just a Noob
EinsteinEP  Offline
Just a Noob

Tucson, AZ
How about we all pull in the petty personal attacks and actually try to sound like reasonable adults?

Shoot to Kill.
Play to Have Fun.
#3814178 - 07/25/13 03:26 PM Re: Update Fiasco [Re: komemiute]  
Blooze Offline
Blooze  Offline

Originally Posted By: komemiute
@Blooze: Not mean to defend JayB, he's big enough... But I followed your link and you sound exactly like those guys... What's your point?

Absolutely not wanting to patronize anyone, but ED clearly stated they are looking into it. Chill, you surely have other things to do. Wait for the fix and then we'll all see where that does lead.

It's just a game and we're all humans...

I agree. The reason I posted the link was to highlight yet more foolish, pointless and immature rants similar to mine. I have already conceded to that. What more can I do? I will consult with both you and JayB before posting in the future. That way I can be sure that whatever I post will be agreeable.

#3814187 - 07/25/13 03:44 PM Re: Update Fiasco [Re: Thomasew]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

Originally Posted By: Thomasew
..Working incessantly on patches/bugs etc., .. means they might all be out of a job pretty soonish. sigh

Cheers
Tom

Maddox/1C easily springs to mind.

Blooze, I'm sure there are more of us seeing what you see but one isn't really supposed to say it out loud smile
In the scientology church of E.Dynamics only pure thoughts are to be said.

#3814195 - 07/25/13 04:10 PM Re: Update Fiasco [Re: Blooze]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
I remember before that with every new version, I would go through my missions, open them up in the new editor, then rename and save them with the new version number, that way I know what's what. I do the same with my BMS missions. So are the old missions not working even if saved in the new editor?

In any case, this is nothing new for ED. You'd think they'd test for something like this, include it in the "do this before we release something new" checklist, but nope. Same issue with tutorial videos.... how can an update "break" a tutorial?

I also used to go through the controls page after each update to make sure things were set up as they are; a few updates before would bork a controller setup. Such is life, I guess. smile

EDIT: I wonder if they've fixed that "hiccup" yet wherein FPS would slideshow when bomb explosions occur?

Last edited by - Ice; 07/25/13 04:15 PM.

- Ice
#3814198 - 07/25/13 04:22 PM Re: Update Fiasco [Re: Blooze]  
DCS_is_Awesome Offline
DCS_is_Awesome  Offline

Speaking from experience (as in doing load builds and software testing as a full time job for 6+ years)

ED are terrible , they seem to have a cavalier attitude at best or are taking incompetence to dizzying new heights

They should hire proper experienced and qualified software testers and rely on the volunteers for backup

Last edited by dcs_has_stopped_responding; 07/25/13 04:26 PM.
#3814201 - 07/25/13 04:29 PM Re: Update Fiasco [Re: DCS_is_Awesome]  
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot
GrayGhost  Offline
Hotshot

I'd think that from your experience, you should know better than to assume that whatever you're doing is applicable to every project. You should also know better than to accuse people of incompetence or cavalier attitudes.

Perhaps you should experience running a small software shop with a big, very complex, niche, but not very high income product before you try to play blame games?

Originally Posted By: dcs_has_stopped_responding
Speaking from experience (as in doing load builds and software testing as a full time job for 6+ years)

ED are terrible , they seem to have a cavalier attitude at best or are taking incompetence to dizzying new heights

They should hire proper experienced and qualified software testers and rely on the volunteers for backup

--
44th VFW
#3814203 - 07/25/13 04:34 PM Re: Update Fiasco [Re: Blooze]  
DCS_is_Awesome Offline
DCS_is_Awesome  Offline

Proper methods / procedures apply to any project , letting the wrong build get out the door ... seriously ?

So I take it you also work in software testing full time ?

#3814212 - 07/25/13 05:01 PM Re: Update Fiasco [Re: Blooze]  
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot
GrayGhost  Offline
Hotshot

I used to do QA, I do complete build cycle supervision/administration/management or whatever else you'd like to call it.

Proper methods and procedures are fine and dandy, but at the same time proper methods and procedures might not always be implementable, for any very large set of reasons.

No one likes to see a broken build go out the door, and ED sure as heck didn't like seeing that happen either. Compared to what I do at my day job, ED faces challenges that are quite a bit different in terms of QA control from the perspective of resources than you would in most software shops where the product is either simple, or the process really well engineered with the combination of enough money going into it to be able to afford a proper level of QA.

They have internal testers - as many as they can afford. the beta testers (aka 'us beta testers') are the second pass, and then the build is released.

Certainly things can always be improved, and people within ED, some of who you may have heard of, some not, are always looking to smooth things out.

They're not stupid, they understand they need backwards compatibility and to not break things with a release. How that is going to be fixed, I don't know, but they'll figure something out.

Last edited by GrayGhost; 07/25/13 05:03 PM.

--
44th VFW
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.