Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3810630 - 07/17/13 06:30 AM Last trip to the vet for an old friend (non-database error version)  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
(Site dumped while posting, the original resulted in a database error.)

Wed. morning my wife and I take our buddy to the vet for the last time. He's nearing 17 and for the last year has declined rapidly with dementia, can barely get around lately, mostly blind and deaf and now growing incontinent. Elwood is a Jack Russell/Chihuahua mix we got at the rescue league right after getting married. He's been with us through a lot, including the births of our kids, my son now 13 and my daughter 8. Never had a mean bone in his body. Even with his mental state declining he's never bitten or shown the least bit of anger. To this day he runs his "route" around the house checking on the kids rooms (even though they're at grandparents house for a few days). Never know when there might be an emergency to alert us to. He's watched over them like they were his own their whole lives. In his day, the fastest dog I've ever seen.

Just a sad time, but we know it's for the best. We may have waited a little too long, but it's a hard thing to do and we had hoped he might go on his own in his bed. After we take him we're going out of town to collect ourselves a bit before telling the kids. Probably not the best parenting, but I don't want to waiver on what has to be done. Hard to believe we were in our mid 20's when we got him.

...and he has always loved posing for the camera. Just wanted to share a bit.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3810634 - 07/17/13 06:53 AM Re: Last trip to the vet for an old friend (non-database error version) [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
RedToo Offline
RedToo  Offline

Bolton UK
He looks like a real family dog. smile

It's hard losing a much loved pet, but you're doing the right thing by him.

My condolences.

Redtoo.

My 'Waiting for Clod' thread: http://tinyurl.com/bqxc9ee

Always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.
Elie Wiesel. Romanian born Jewish writer, professor, political activist, Nobel Laureate, Holocaust survivor. 1928 - 2016.

Indeed the safest road to Hell is the gradual one - the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts. C.S. Lewis, 1898 - 1963.
#3810642 - 07/17/13 08:23 AM Re: Last trip to the vet for an old friend (non-database error version) [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

Always a sad time, we lost our rotte last year, she was only 12.
We all miss her very much.

#3810646 - 07/17/13 09:01 AM Re: Last trip to the vet for an old friend (non-database error version) [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Damn hard decision to make...

To be honest, for me the only reason to take down a pet would be painful living conditions. I.e. organ damage, cancer, inability to move... I'm sure you have plenty of reason but the things you listed don't sound soooo bad.

Much strength either way to you... it really sucks to lose such a long term friend.

#3810671 - 07/17/13 01:29 PM Re: Last trip to the vet for an old friend (non-database error version) [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I'm very sorry for your loss Raw. frown

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3810672 - 07/17/13 01:33 PM Re: Last trip to the vet for an old friend (non-database error version) [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Destructis Offline
Hotshot
Destructis  Offline
Hotshot

Anne Arundel County, MD
I'm sorry, it really is a hard thing to do.

Life is tough. Life is tougher when you are stupid. - John Wayne
#3810674 - 07/17/13 01:37 PM Re: Last trip to the vet for an old friend (non-database error version) [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
It's worse than that, I just wasn't going to dwell on it. We can't leave him alone out of his crate or he'll kind of splat out on the floor and can't get up, which freaks him out. His hips and back are just too weak to stay upright on a floor that isn't carpeted, much less to get himself up. He can barely walk most times or control his bladder and other functions. Seeing your dog splat out on the floor in his urine isn't a pleasant sight or how we want him to have to live. He thinks he can run, but simply can't and runs a few steps just to hit a wall or stumble badly to the point we're afraid he's going to really hurt himself like that. He can't get much rest, whether due to the joint issues alone or dementia confusing him and he paces around to exhaustion. Sometimes he clearly doesn't know where he is.
This isn't something we take lightly. Heading out in a bit.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#3810675 - 07/17/13 01:39 PM Re: Last trip to the vet for an old friend (non-database error version) [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Archer11 Offline
Archer11  Offline

Austria
I'm sorry to hear that. Can't read about this matter without having a tear in the eye. My condolences to you and your family.

Until now I had to make this decision twice in my life. Moments I'll never forget. First one after 15 years (Hex, a Bernese Mountain Dog-Collie-German Shepherd-mix) when I was 32, second one (Ian, Alaskan Malamute ) 13 years later.
After the second one I thought long about getting a dog again or not. What to say, I have two Malamutes now. Don't want to think about when their time will come.
And I still miss those two who are gone...

#3810677 - 07/17/13 01:42 PM Re: Last trip to the vet for an old friend (non-database error version) [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida
This always sucks... and hits harder then you think it will. Sorry and good luck.

#3810681 - 07/17/13 01:50 PM Re: Last trip to the vet for an old friend (non-database error version) [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
semmern Offline
Veteran
semmern  Offline
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
I feel your pain frown Had to put my beloved Irish Setter, Tommy, down just before Christmas, he was only a month away from turning 15. Hardest damn thing I've ever had to do frown

Dogs are the finest creatures on this planet. Always loyal, happy, and they never complain. I miss my best friend.

In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!
#3810686 - 07/17/13 02:08 PM Re: Last trip to the vet for an old friend (non-database error version) [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
I'm sorry RK. We lost a dog of ten years a year ago. She just all of a sudden went with a kind of cancer. My dad assures me when last he checked on her she seemed comfortable as could be with water near her then she died in the yard while I was at work. I came home and cried and hugged on her body and we buried her to our other old guy who she grew up with.

He was our other Aussie who got to be about 17 as well. He became more and more disabled and almost out of no where had a wound that just continued to open. I feel so bad. We were in the same boat. We did not want to put him down and tried to keep him and help him as long as possible. We waited too long. The wound just got so big and he had no weight. My dad and I took him to get put down. I remember sitting in the truck with Jordie as my dad went to the back door of the vet to let them know we were there. I helped my dad get Jordie into his arms but stayed in the truck. Couple of minutes later my dad came back out with his body which was now somehow three times as heavy as it was when his life was still with him(interesting how that works) and we drove home crying like babies and buried him.

We had Jordie since I was 10 from a puppy and I was probably 27 by then. He was with me more than half my life.

Just love on him RK, you and your wife. He'll know you guys are with him and love him.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#3810696 - 07/17/13 02:23 PM Re: Last trip to the vet for an old friend (non-database error version) [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
MojoFlow Offline
MojoFlow  Offline

Moose Jaw, SK Canada
Sorry to hear about losing one of the family like that, it's never easy.

Take care.

#3810700 - 07/17/13 02:37 PM Re: Last trip to the vet for an old friend (non-database error version) [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Thanks Kryp - I was in no way trying to get any justification out of you, but what you described in the second post make it really easy to understand why you are putting him to peace.

Maybe the only consolidation is that he had a good and long life. Like my vet recently said, we shouldn't make the mistake to judge animal lifespans by our own and be sad for them to have to go "so early" - the are old people really.

#3810706 - 07/17/13 02:48 PM Re: Last trip to the vet for an old friend (non-database error version) [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I'm reading this with my two Jack Russell rescues sleeping while pressed up against me. Ralphie has had liver problems since we got him, lately his numbers have stabilized and we take each healthy day as a gift. But that day is inevitable and it's going to be one of the hardest for us.

We can take solace in that we give our four-legged family members the best home we can, with all the love and attention they can stand. In return they give it back, while keeping a vigilant eye and ear guarding their turf (including their sleeping "parents").

I can't say I've been there (these are our first pets) but I feel your grief just thinking about it, my sincere condolences.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#3810713 - 07/17/13 03:01 PM Re: Last trip to the vet for an old friend (non-database error version) [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Navigator Offline
Hotshot
Navigator  Offline
Hotshot

Mn U.S.A.
Sorry to hear Raw, hope the kids can adjust.

Never rub another man's rhubarb.
#3810718 - 07/17/13 03:20 PM Re: Last trip to the vet for an old friend (non-database error version) [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Deacon211 Offline
Deacon211  Offline

Louisville, KY
Looks like a good dog, Raw.

We just rescued two in the last few months and I already know that I'll go to pieces when this day comes for one of them. Just know you're doing the right thing. Sick, weak, and scared is no way to go out. He's had a good life and a good family. He deserves to go gently.

Crap, getting all wiggly chinned just writing this.

Very sorry for ya.

Deacon

#3810719 - 07/17/13 03:21 PM Re: Last trip to the vet for an old friend (non-database error version) [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Attackmack Offline
Attackmack  Offline

Its one of the hardest thing as a pet owner, knowing "when" its time.
Age, sickness, defections, whatever it may be, knowing when theres no use fighting or trying or hoping can be nigh impossible.
The irony of it all is that someones love for their animal can bring it more suffering.

Your doing the right thing and you will always remember that dog and the times you had with it.

#3810737 - 07/17/13 03:43 PM Re: Last trip to the vet for an old friend (non-database error version) [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
No105_Archie Offline
No105_Archie  Offline

Veteran

N. Atlantic east of Canada
A dog's purpose in life is to love his 'people'. As long as you loved him back and gave him a good life he will be happy and content to the lsat second. Taking dogs on that last ride is the hardest thing I've done in life. I have a lump in my throat now while wring this.

My current greyhound is sleeping in the corner and the one we are fostering is stretched out on the floor near him. No malice, no ego, so plans, just content to be with us.

I like most dogs better than I like most people.

Archie Smythe

carpe diem
#3810773 - 07/17/13 04:48 PM Re: Last trip to the vet for an old friend (non-database error version) [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
Sad news Raw, hard decision but you are doing the right thing for him, rest in peace little buddy, best wishes for your family on the loss.

i7-7700k@4.5ghz, GTX1080Ti,BenQ XL2420G-g-sync,Oculus Rift
#3810788 - 07/17/13 05:35 PM Re: Last trip to the vet for an old friend (non-database error version) [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
I've had dogs for a very long time, and know what it is to lose one. Thankfully, I was never present on the "last ride." My parents would take them to the vet on a day when I am at school, so I would just come home with one less Japanese Spitz. I lost two this way. A third dog just died and I found her when I came home from school and she was already stiff. It was raining but I buried her anyway, and had to knock on a neighbor's house to borrow one of their digging implements. I don't know how many puppies I buried, but I got good at digging holes. I had taken care of 5 generations of dogs, each "generation" would have 3-4 litters but I would only keep one of each; my parents sold/gave away the rest.

My last generation of dogs I had to leave with my parents when I left the house. My old buddy, the only male dog I was allowed to keep, died just a couple of years ago. I take solace in the fact that he was given to my uncle who I know loves animals so I know he was happy to the last.

Very sorry for your loss but we all have to remember the joys and lessons they have taught us. My dogs taught me responsibility, unconditional love, and how to be happy.

I am contemplating very much getting a dog for my boys, but I'm not sure we can handle it especially here in the UK.

- Ice
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.