Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3806801 - 07/09/13 09:45 AM VIrtual short trip through downtown Munich  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
Was downtown a couple of days ago, and since my date informed me that she would be late by one hour due to a public transportation mishap (an almost regular occurrence lately), I had a little over an hour to kill. So I decided to play tourist and snap a few pictures with my phone (captions are below each picture):

Started at St.Peter with the famous belltower (Alter Peter/ Old Peter)

St. Anna

The balcony of the Neue Rathaus/ New Town Hall (where the players of FC Bayern Munich celebrate when they win a championship/ Champpions League/ National League Cup)

The town hall tower with the famous Glockenpsiel

In the foreground: Mariensule (Marian Column), which was errected to celebrate the end of Swedish occupation during the 30 years war

View of Marienplatz, with the twin towers of the Frauenkirche in the background

The Alte Rathaus (Old Town Hall)

This alley is slightly curved, because the old (first) city wall used to be where the houses are on the right side.

Fischbrunnen ("fish fountain"), a popular meeting place.

Nationaltheater (national theatre), the home of both the Bavrarian State Opera and State Ballet

South face of the (reconstructed) Mnchner Residenz

Again, Nationaltheater and, right next to it on the left, the Residenztheater.

View towards Odeonsplatz (the yellow bell towers belong to Theatinerkirche/ Theatine Church)

Lions guarding the entrance to the Old Residenz

The so-called Drckebergergasse ("hedger's alley): the name originated in WWII, when people used it to evade saluting the Nazi honour guard (established to commemorate the "victims" of Hitler's failed coup of 1923). The just slipped through the alley and passed the Feldherrenhalle on its western side, thereby avoiding the salute.

Eastern face of the Feldherrenhalle: This is where the Nazi honor guard was (right where those youths sit). In the background: Theatinerkirche.

Feldherrenhalle

View northwards down Ludwigstrasse. In the distance you can see the Siegestor (no physical zoom on my smartphone unfortunately, otherwise this would have been a much better photo)

This builing is called Hauptpost (sometimes Residenzpost), the "main post office building".

Looking down Maximilianstrasse towards the Maximilianeum (seat of the Bavarian Parliament, or officially: State Diet of Bavaria)

Promenadenplatz with Hotel Bayerischer Hof. The statue in the foreground is Orlando di Lasso, and the crap on it is from Michael Jackson fans (I have honestly no idea why they do that).

Kurfrst Max Emanuel von Bayern

Backside of Jesuit church St. Michael; the tower is a leftover from the city wall.

Quick detour to snap a pictue of one of Frauenkirche's bell towers (the other is currently being renovated)

Lenbachplatz

Justizpalast (Palace of Justice), Karlsplatz. A sight best seen from the outside smile

Paulskirche from Theresienwiese (Theresienwiese is the site of the Oktoberfest): The church was hit by a plane in 1960

The Bavaria

At the banks of the Isar (the river running through Munich)

Last edited by Jayhawk; 07/09/13 10:22 AM. Reason: Accidentally hit submit

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3806820 - 07/09/13 10:57 AM Re: VIrtual short trip through downtown Munich [Re: Jayhawk]  
WhoCares Offline
WhoCares  Offline

Nice photos and all (esp. for a phone), but I hardly recognize "my" Munich.
Next time you should add some photos of Hofbrukeller, Paulaner Keller, Augustiner Keller, Chinesischer Turm, Seehaus, Hirschgarten, ...
cheers Especially at such a nice day under a bavarian sky cheers

#3806824 - 07/09/13 11:17 AM Re: VIrtual short trip through downtown Munich [Re: Jayhawk]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Thanks for sharing those pics Jayhawk. Munchen is definitely on my list of places to visit when I go to Germany.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3806826 - 07/09/13 11:26 AM Re: VIrtual short trip through downtown Munich [Re: WhoCares]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
Originally Posted By: WhoCares
Nice photos and all (esp. for a phone), but I hardly recognize "my" Munich.
Next time you should add some photos of Hofbrukeller, Paulaner Keller, Augustiner Keller, Chinesischer Turm, Seehaus, Hirschgarten, ...
cheers Especially at such a nice day under a bavarian sky cheers

Well, I only had a little over an hour, so this whole thing was quite spontaneous. Maybe I'll find the time to do a part II or III...

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#3806858 - 07/09/13 12:46 PM Re: VIrtual short trip through downtown Munich [Re: Jayhawk]  
Legend Offline
Legsie is such a
Legend  Offline
Legsie is such a
Hotshot

Zutphen, NL / ShangHai, China
Joa mei, dass sieht doch schoen aus, was?

Already 22 years ago that I spent half a year as an intern in the Deutsches Museum. Still have great memories of Munich.

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more inexplicable.
There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
#3806863 - 07/09/13 12:52 PM Re: VIrtual short trip through downtown Munich [Re: Jayhawk]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
I'm surprised the authorities allow all that MJ crap on that statue?

Nice pics though,looks a lovely place.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#3806891 - 07/09/13 01:56 PM Re: VIrtual short trip through downtown Munich [Re: Jayhawk]  
Grisbeau Offline
Grisbeau  Offline

Lancashire,UK
It is a terrific city and the people are really friendly and welcoming. Those pics bring back happy memories when I was last there, when Chelsea won the Champions League winner.

#3806894 - 07/09/13 02:08 PM Re: VIrtual short trip through downtown Munich [Re: Jayhawk]  
kaa Offline
kaa  Offline

France
Wonderful town ! and what about this gorgeous Biergaten in the big park ? and the one with the bandstand in the middle ? great atmosphere with the promise of a paar Wiener and a Krug Helles dazu (not less!) !

"Anyone can shoot you down if you don't see him coming but it takes a wonderfully good Hun to bag a Camel if you're expecting him."
Tom Cundall.
#3806978 - 07/09/13 04:42 PM Re: VIrtual short trip through downtown Munich [Re: Legend]  
U-96 Offline
%!#Stack Overflow#!%
U-96  Offline
%!#Stack Overflow#!%
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: Legend

Already 22 years ago that I spent half a year as an intern in the Deutsches Museum. Still have great memories of Munich.

I'm jealous - the Deutsches Museum is one of the world's greatest science and technology museums. I only spent a half-day there, but I would make a special effort to revisit if I were in Munich again!

Followed by the Hofbrauhaus (although not that weird camembert spread they seem to like :D)

#3807161 - 07/09/13 10:21 PM Re: VIrtual short trip through downtown Munich [Re: Legend]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
Originally Posted By: Legend

smile Let me help polish up your - apparently still good - Bavarian:

Jo mei, des sieg't doch schee aus, oda? [Alternativ dazu: gell?(pronounced "geyh")]. smile

#3807163 - 07/09/13 10:24 PM Re: VIrtual short trip through downtown Munich [Re: U-96]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
Originally Posted By: U-96

[...]although not that weird camembert spread they seem to like :D)

Hey, don't knock the Obazda ! It's great, and an integral part of any visit to a Bavarian Biergarten. smile

#3807168 - 07/09/13 10:26 PM Re: VIrtual short trip through downtown Munich [Re: kaa]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
Originally Posted By: kaa
Wonderful town ! and what about this gorgeous Biergaten in the big park ? and the one with the bandstand in the middle ? great atmosphere with the promise of a paar Wiener and a Krug Helles dazu (not less!) !

Do you mean Biergarten am Chinesischen Turm in the Englischer Garten?

#3807170 - 07/09/13 10:28 PM Re: VIrtual short trip through downtown Munich [Re: Grisbeau]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
Originally Posted By: Grisbeau
when Chelsea won the Champions League winner.

I'm sorry, I have no recollection of such an event, and therefore don't understand what you are referring to....

wink biggrin

#3807174 - 07/09/13 10:32 PM Re: VIrtual short trip through downtown Munich [Re: Chucky]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
Originally Posted By: Chucky

I have no idea why MJ's "fans" put the stuff there in the first place, nor why this is tolerated. Maybe they look the other way as long as the stuff can be taken away (as long as no one spray-paints on the statue, for example).

Or the city council believes this lightens up the place, or has simply given up throwing all that away?

#3807178 - 07/09/13 10:34 PM Re: VIrtual short trip through downtown Munich [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Thanks for sharing those pics Jayhawk. Munchen is definitely on my list of places to visit when I go to Germany.

And Mnchen will definitely be glad to host you, dear Sir. smile

So, how do you feel about a sabbatical? wink

Just kidding. Come over whenever you're ready; just let your personal tour guide know in advance. smile

#3807210 - 07/09/13 11:53 PM Re: VIrtual short trip through downtown Munich [Re: Jayhawk]  
David Kennard Offline
David Kennard  Offline

Northern Virginia, USA
I think a lot us are hoping for your date to be late more often smile jk

Thanks for the great pictures and def looking forward to seeing more.

Originally Posted By: Jayhawk
Originally Posted By: Chucky

I have no idea why MJ's "fans" put the stuff there in the first place, nor why this is tolerated. Maybe they look the other way as long as the stuff can be taken away (as long as no one spray-paints on the statue, for example).

Or the city council believes this lightens up the place, or has simply given up throwing all that away?

I used the ol' Google machine and this is what seems to be the story with the statue:

"There's a small memorial park in front of the five star Bayerischer Hof hotel in Munich where the statue of influencial 16th century musician Orlando di Lasso shares his legacy with the late Michael Jackson.

Fans of the pop singer have turned the statue into an unofficial Michael Jackson shrine, placing mementos, offerings and tribute messages here week in and week out - since shortly after the singer's death in June 2009.

Every so often I see people gathering here to pay their respects. Or simply to marvel at all the fuss. The choice for this specific spot seems to be related to the fact that the undisputed King of Pop stayed at the Bayerischer Hof across the road a few times.

Apparently it all started because the local authorities refused to build a dedicated Michael Jackson memorial in the city - and so some hardcore fans simply hijacked one while trying to raise enough money to build their own.

There is even a Facebook fan page raising awareness for this cause and urging people to become 'messengers of healing the world'. MJ must have made a true impression in Munich to have such a dedicated group of German fans here.

The statue is never without an abundance of fresh flowers and burning candles, handwritten notes, ornaments and photographs in tribute of the singer."

Last edited by David Kennard; 07/09/13 11:54 PM.

"I'm a hundred miles away son, ready to strike"

GPL Racing: Average Drivers Club

SimHQ Motorsports: SimHQ Motorsports

EVGA Z170 Classified K MB, Intel i7-6700K CPU, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 GPU, EVGA 850 G3 PSU, Bitfenix Dawn TG Case, Windows 10,
32gb T-Force Delta RGB DDR4 3600MHz Memory, 500gb WD Black SN750 NVMe Boot Drive

#3807218 - 07/10/13 12:16 AM Re: VIrtual short trip through downtown Munich [Re: U-96]  
Vertigo1 Offline
Veteran
Vertigo1  Offline
Veteran

Zeta Aquilae System
Originally Posted By: U-96

Followed by the Hofbrauhaus (although not that weird camembert spread they seem to like :D)

I'm assuming you are speaking of the obazd'n?

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

“One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” -Milton Friedman

Quem Deus vult perdere, prius dementat
#3807299 - 07/10/13 04:44 AM Re: VIrtual short trip through downtown Munich [Re: Jayhawk]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
On a related historical note, one question that kept coming to my mind while looking at those pics is how many of those buildings are the originals and how many were rebuilt after WWII? The restoration work seems to be so well done that it's difficult to tell the difference.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 07/10/13 04:45 AM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3807348 - 07/10/13 10:50 AM Re: VIrtual short trip through downtown Munich [Re: Jayhawk]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
Panzer, the WWII bombing raids left 90% of the historic city center destroyed (some, like the church in the first picture, almost completely). The Residenz was heavily damaged.

#3807350 - 07/10/13 10:53 AM Re: VIrtual short trip through downtown Munich [Re: Jayhawk]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
Thanks for that info, David. I had no idea what was going on there. smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.