Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#3806726 - 07/09/13 02:52 AM Is Star Citizen too expensive?  
Ark Offline
Cat Herder
Ark  Offline
Cat Herder

Fresno, CA.
Found this article on The Escapist. I'm either intrigued or dumbfounded....or a combination of both. lol

It sort of explains the reason for the cost of the ships in-game...whether it's a good reason I leave up to all of you.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125488-Star-Citizens-Spaceships-Are-Ridiculously-Expensive

If you haven't read up on the cost of some of the ships currently (before the talked about price hike):

(Prices in USD)
RSI Aurora - $25
Origin Jumpworks 300i - $55
Anvil Aerospace Hornet - $110
MISC Freelancer - $110
RSI Constellation - $225
Drake Interplanetary Cutlass - $100
Aegis Dynamics Avenger - $60

I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to get involved in this games development but am having a REAL tough time justifying and/or supporting a pricing model so out of this world (see what a I did there?!?!?).

THoughts/opinions?

Ark

Windows 7 x64
Asus P6T Deluxe mobo
Core i7 920 @ 4.0
6GB G.Skill DDR3 1600
Evga GTX 680 Classified
SB X-FI Fatality
640GB WD "Black"
1GB WD "Black"
LG 39" LCD / Dell 3007WFP-HC 30" LCD / Acer H233H 23" LCD

RIP Positive G
#3806732 - 07/09/13 03:05 AM Re: Is Star Citizen too expensive? [Re: Ark]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Well, 25 bucks (30-35 now) for the aurora and alpha / beta / sq 42 and a bunch of extra goodies is not over prices. Hell the base game will sell for 50 bucks once it is released so you get the game for almost half price by buying in early. That is a GREAT deal.

As for the other prices... they are for people who want to give more money. You are not buying the game per say you are funding the game development. Those prices were set before they even knew the game was going to be successful or not. Now that they have the money to make the game they cant just drop the prices for everyone else and screw over their initial backers.

Same situation with Planetary Annihilation on steam for 90 bucks. Thats the price the alpha costs on kickstarter. They cant sell it for cheaper and screw over their original backers. That would be idiotic and cause a worse scandal than the high price.

So... 25-35 bucks is a great price and the rest is just extras for people with more money then brains. But I dont agree that it is overpriced. They priced it where it needed to be to get the game backed.

If they sold it all for 30 bucks without the high priced ship incentives they would have barely cleared 6 million which is not near enough to make the game. Had they not had the extra ships they would have never made their original funding drive.

#3806744 - 07/09/13 03:53 AM Re: Is Star Citizen too expensive? [Re: Ark]  
No Name Offline
Veteran
No Name  Offline
Veteran

Yeah, that's a bit much, IMO but if this game delivers on 75% of its promises it will be the #%&*$#, in a king-sized way, which makes me more inclined to consider ponying up.

Mobo ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0)
Memory CORSAIR XMS3 8GB DDR3
GPU 2 EVGA 680 FTW 4GB
CPU Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz)
Drives 2 HITACHI Deskstar 3TB 2 Crucial 256 GB SSD Displays 3 HP ZR30w 30" monitors
UPS Cyberpower PP2200SW
PSU Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W
Case COOLER MASTER CM Storm Trooper
Drive LITE-ON Black 12X Blu-ray
CPU cooler Noctua 6 Dual Heatpipe
Fans COOLER MASTER SickleFlow 120
OS Windows 7 Premium
#3806757 - 07/09/13 04:37 AM Re: Is Star Citizen too expensive? [Re: Master]  
Ark Offline
Cat Herder
Ark  Offline
Cat Herder

Fresno, CA.
Originally Posted By: Master
Well, 25 bucks (30-35 now) for the aurora and alpha / beta / sq 42 and a bunch of extra goodies is not over prices. Hell the base game will sell for 50 bucks once it is released so you get the game for almost half price by buying in early. That is a GREAT deal.

As for the other prices... they are for people who want to give more money. You are not buying the game per say you are funding the game development. Those prices were set before they even knew the game was going to be successful or not. Now that they have the money to make the game they cant just drop the prices for everyone else and screw over their initial backers.

Same situation with Planetary Annihilation on steam for 90 bucks. Thats the price the alpha costs on kickstarter. They cant sell it for cheaper and screw over their original backers. That would be idiotic and cause a worse scandal than the high price.

So... 25-35 bucks is a great price and the rest is just extras for people with more money then brains. But I dont agree that it is overpriced. They priced it where it needed to be to get the game backed.

If they sold it all for 30 bucks without the high priced ship incentives they would have barely cleared 6 million which is not near enough to make the game. Had they not had the extra ships they would have never made their original funding drive.

I'm pretty sure the Planetary Annihilation on Steam is for a special Collector's Edition (I saw that mentioned somewhere). I beleive there is a cheaper version available at a different site.

With regards to Star Citizen, when does the "Alpha" kick off so people can at least fly the ships they bought?

Ark

Windows 7 x64
Asus P6T Deluxe mobo
Core i7 920 @ 4.0
6GB G.Skill DDR3 1600
Evga GTX 680 Classified
SB X-FI Fatality
640GB WD "Black"
1GB WD "Black"

RIP Positive G
#3806762 - 07/09/13 04:56 AM Re: Is Star Citizen too expensive? [Re: Ark]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Too expensive for now, but I did the $30 deal. Beyond that I need to be playing the game.
I've spent a good bit on MWO, but only because I've been playing for a year now and already know love it.
Kind of tired of the packages and wish they would just concentrate on getting the game out sooner. They can add more features and content after they put the game out. As it is, they're setting up too much of an asset difference between players who pay out a lot and those that will play normally. Game changing advantages that will split the community when there's finally a game to play.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#3806881 - 07/09/13 01:24 PM Re: Is Star Citizen too expensive? [Re: Ark]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Ark
I'm pretty sure the Planetary Annihilation on Steam is for a special Collector's Edition (I saw that mentioned somewhere). I beleive there is a cheaper version available at a different site.

You can buy it for cheaper but that does not give you access to play it until later down the road.

#3807231 - 07/10/13 12:52 AM Re: Is Star Citizen too expensive? [Re: Ark]  
Lancelot Offline
Lancelot  Offline

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Well, any new game sell at 60 dollars. Here on SC for 45 dollars you can buy the game, have alpha and beta acces, , have the squadron 42 campaign included, and other goodies. I don't see that expensive.
Once the game gets released, you will have to pay 60 dollars for exactly the same thing, and you witnes the alpha and beta development.
Once the game gets released, you will start with the basic ship, which is the aurora. You will not be able to fly any other ship until you get enough game credits.

I agree with Master, i don't think its expensive at all. All the rest is just for people willing to donate more.

The alpha is suppose to star on December this year, that if you think about it, its only five months away. Already next month the hangar will be released, where you can see your ship as your virtual avatar, inside the engine, and walk around the show it to friends. smile

Si hay que huir, YO PRIMERO!!!
#3807316 - 07/10/13 06:47 AM Re: Is Star Citizen too expensive? [Re: Ark]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
Not sure I understand. You buy the game and then you have to buy the ships with real money? If that's the case this is one game I won't support or buy. That's disgusting taking the money grabbing in games too far.

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle
#3807336 - 07/10/13 09:43 AM Re: Is Star Citizen too expensive? [Re: Ark]  
bogusheadbox Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke
bogusheadbox  Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke

Well, I will bring in the "old fart" perspective. I actually find it absolutely astonishing the amounts of money some people have alluded to spending on this game (not that this is a bad thing).

Lets have a look at what is being offered.

A concept genre,
Concept art,
No playable game,

So what a lot of people have spent a LOT of money on is....... a screenshot and a short promo video. This I find highly intriguing.

What it does show however is there is obviously a massive market for a space genre game with a high level of depth (not only with the ships but with the universe as well. Something I have personally been wishing for, for many many years).

So multiple millions have been handed over in what I can only say is an amazing kickstarter campaign. Such a large amount of money for what is essentially nothing ( at the moment)

At the moment this game sounds expensive for no real details of what will actually be in it. My personal perspective is that I don't get into these kickstarter campaigns as my money needs to be exchanged for actual goods tangible at the time (either to me or to my computer).

I think the ship costs are very expensive especially with no idea of what you can do in them, how realistic they will be. But that is my opinion.

On a contradictory note however, I am glad the game received a good backing and that it looks like (at this moment) that some type of game will be released. And I will certainly investigate it and follow its progression. But I will not pay anything until after its release, maybe not until some time after its release. For when the initial money wave comes and passes upon release then the sales will abound and things will be hopefully at an acceptable price.

Fighterops...

The only TRUE Stealth crowd funded game.

Devs said there was stuff there, but you just couldn't see it.
#3807359 - 07/10/13 11:44 AM Re: Is Star Citizen too expensive? [Re: bogusheadbox]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
Originally Posted By: bogusheadbox
Well, I will bring in the "old fart" perspective. I actually find it absolutely astonishing the amounts of money some people have alluded to spending on this game (not that this is a bad thing).

Lets have a look at what is being offered.

A concept genre,
Concept art,
No playable game,

So what a lot of people have spent a LOT of money on is....... a screenshot and a short promo video. This I find highly intriguing.

What it does show however is there is obviously a massive market for a space genre game with a high level of depth (not only with the ships but with the universe as well. Something I have personally been wishing for, for many many years).

So multiple millions have been handed over in what I can only say is an amazing kickstarter campaign. Such a large amount of money for what is essentially nothing ( at the moment)

At the moment this game sounds expensive for no real details of what will actually be in it. My personal perspective is that I don't get into these kickstarter campaigns as my money needs to be exchanged for actual goods tangible at the time (either to me or to my computer).

I think the ship costs are very expensive especially with no idea of what you can do in them, how realistic they will be. But that is my opinion.

On a contradictory note however, I am glad the game received a good backing and that it looks like (at this moment) that some type of game will be released. And I will certainly investigate it and follow its progression. But I will not pay anything until after its release, maybe not until some time after its release. For when the initial money wave comes and passes upon release then the sales will abound and things will be hopefully at an acceptable price.

I agree 100% with you, I have never spent money on Kickstarter or whatever and never will. I do not even pre-order games anymore as I have been burnt too many times with crap games that look and sound amazing months from release. I certainly will never give money for, as you say, an idea and a few concept arts.

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle
#3807397 - 07/10/13 01:14 PM Re: Is Star Citizen too expensive? [Re: Ark]  
Ark Offline
Cat Herder
Ark  Offline
Cat Herder

Fresno, CA.
I can only imagine the backlash if this game ends up not living up to expectations. Chris would need a Popemobile. Lol

Ark

Windows 7 x64
Asus P6T Deluxe mobo
Core i7 920 @ 4.0
6GB G.Skill DDR3 1600
Evga GTX 680 Classified
SB X-FI Fatality
640GB WD "Black"
1GB WD "Black"

RIP Positive G
#3807399 - 07/10/13 01:19 PM Re: Is Star Citizen too expensive? [Re: Mace71]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Originally Posted By: MaceUK33
Not sure I understand. You buy the game and then you have to buy the ships with real money? If that's the case this is one game I won't support or buy. That's disgusting taking the money grabbing in games too far.

The base game is 30 bucks and it comes with Squadron 42 military mission game, Open world Star Citizen MMO game (which can be played offline) 6 months of insurance for the starter ship (or LTI if you got in before LTI expired or you know someone who can buy it for you.) and a whole slew of other goodies.

Everything in the game can be bought with in game credits. The only thing you are buying is Lifetime Insurance to replace the ship if it gets destroyed. Without LTI you will have to use in game credits to replace your ship.

This wont be like Rise of Flight where you have to buy each ship individually. These prices are only available before the end of this year when they launch the dogfighting module. After that happens you will have to buy everything in game with credits.

#3807402 - 07/10/13 01:23 PM Re: Is Star Citizen too expensive? [Re: Ark]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Ark
I can only imagine the backlash if this game ends up not living up to expectations. Chris would need a Popemobile. Lol

There is no way it lives up to expectations. If you go and read the forums people are dumping over 10k dollars into this game buying all the ships and #%&*$# and then they are praising the game like it is the second comming. It is going to be an eye opener when the game finally launches lol.

#3807405 - 07/10/13 01:26 PM Re: Is Star Citizen too expensive? [Re: Ark]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
Happy Birthday komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

I said it before, too much hype.

That said Chris Robetrs is NOT a noob and he is not John Romero (Daikatana Anyone?)...

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#3807413 - 07/10/13 01:38 PM Re: Is Star Citizen too expensive? [Re: Ark]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Also it is worth mentioning that they do have a 32 person dogfighting game already functional that you can play if you go down to their office. And from what I hear you can already move around inside the ships and do a lot of the stuff they said they wanted to add.

I have no idea why they dont just made a few gameplay videos but I guess they dont want to show pre alpha video or something.

#3807493 - 07/10/13 05:02 PM Re: Is Star Citizen too expensive? [Re: Master]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
Originally Posted By: Master
Originally Posted By: MaceUK33

The base game is 30 bucks and it comes with Squadron 42 military mission game, Open world Star Citizen MMO game (which can be played offline) 6 months of insurance for the starter ship (or LTI if you got in before LTI expired or you know someone who can buy it for you.) and a whole slew of other goodies.

Everything in the game can be bought with in game credits. The only thing you are buying is Lifetime Insurance to replace the ship if it gets destroyed. Without LTI you will have to use in game credits to replace your ship.

This wont be like Rise of Flight where you have to buy each ship individually. These prices are only available before the end of this year when they launch the dogfighting module. After that happens you will have to buy everything in game with credits.

Ah right, thanks for the explanation, sounds better now smile

#3807508 - 07/10/13 05:23 PM Re: Is Star Citizen too expensive? [Re: Ark]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Also if anyone wants in on the game with LTI just let me know and you can send the money to my paypal and Ill buy it and gift it to your email address. (if you trust me that is.)

#3807760 - 07/10/13 10:10 PM Re: Is Star Citizen too expensive? [Re: Ark]  
CTR69 Offline
CTR69  Offline

1. this is not some lone guy in the basement somewhere who can go vaporware anytime.

2. this is not EA DRM corporate mass media for the masses where profit is all that matters.

But the general answer would be, if you have couple 100$ for the hardware, you can also shell out these pesky 35$ for the game.

#3807807 - 07/11/13 12:24 AM Re: Is Star Citizen too expensive? [Re: Ark]  
WynnTTr Offline
WynnTTr  Offline

And has not made a current game for, what, a decade?

Has no experience in designing for a F2P MMO type game for the current online generation.

I loved WC and its iterations for the gameplay back then but look at it objectively - those games were designed as grand soap opera type single player games. The gameplay actually was kind of one dimensional.
But his games worked and sold well cos they sucked you into the world - mainly achieved by a passable storyline and some nifty cutscenes (later by real actors).

I'm hoping that SC will do well but will not be surprised when it's slow to progress initially.
He will not get it right the first time round. You can quote me on that and come back to hit me with it, but only if I get to /rollseyes and /itoldyouso later.

I pledged and do hope it will succeed but I'm also in the camp that finds people have spent literally hundreds of $$ on something they haven't even seen or played, absolutely mindboggling. There's nothing out there at the moment but spin. Talk about a good PR department.

Last edited by WynnTTr; 07/11/13 12:26 AM.
#3807810 - 07/11/13 12:37 AM Re: Is Star Citizen too expensive? [Re: Ark]  
Brennus Offline
Urban Legend
Brennus  Offline
Urban Legend
Hotshot

Detroit, MI
Greatest game of all time or biggest disappointment, it could really go either way. But, I made a contribution w/ my wallet, so I sleep well knowing I made a contribution.

"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here."

- Jayne Cobb, "Firefly"
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.