Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#379567 - 03/21/01 08:41 PM Would the developers be willing to consider this?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I thought I would ask this question.

With the Flanker 2.5 upgrade about to hit the shelves here in the near future, has anyone considered the thought of being able to make just the 2.5 upgrade available on a stand alone CD without having to buy a second copy of Flanker 2.0? A kinda mail order deal available from SSI, order a copy over the internet or by phone, or how ever someone deems fit.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#379568 - 03/21/01 10:58 PM Re: Would the developers be willing to consider this?  
TooCool_12f Offline
TooCool_12f  Offline

moving around europe...
it's available for free download, you can put it on cd after (80Mb), if you haven't a fast connection, maybe a friend of yours have to help you out

#379569 - 03/22/01 12:29 AM Re: Would the developers be willing to consider this?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by TooCool_12f:
it's available for free download, you can put it on cd after (80Mb), if you haven't a fast connection, maybe a friend of yours have to help you out

Okay, but that defeats the purpose of my idea. The idea is centered around the fact that maybe a.) not everyone has access to a CD-R or CD-RW, either via friends of other resources and b.) not everyone has a fast connection or access to one.

The purpose of asking the question that I did is lets say that maybe you are a big Flanker 2.x fan, visit the sites, but then don't post any messages at forums, and you know that the new top-o-da-line patch is being released. The catch, you are a modem user but because of the area you live in you can't get any more than say 30k download. Granted, everyone can say "Go get Gozilla, etc." and think that the problem is solved. WHATEVER the reason is. 77 MB (I think that I saw that number on Ham's site) is a quiet an undertaking. If the patch is offered on a CD AND NOT as part of the full package (go get another copy of Flanker 2.0 and get the 2.5 upgrade on CD with whatever else is in the box), you have a good solid backup (don't have to worry about it getting corrupted) AND the makers get paid.

We too commonly assume too much in the fact that everyone has access to CD-RW's and fast internet connections. Not everyone does.

#379570 - 03/22/01 02:35 AM Re: Would the developers be willing to consider this?  
Stewie Offline
Bar Steward
Stewie  Offline
Bar Steward

Torrevieja, Spain
Hey, good idea...I must admit that I've thought about that a few times, what with having this measly 56k steam tractor.
Plus, I don't know anyone 'round here with a fast connect,

In my download queu right now I have 100 Mb, and that doesn't include Op Flashpoint demo!

Yeah, I can schedule it for the middle of the night, and it's not really a problem but....well, I'd like to nip out to the local EB and run all the way home with a shiny new cd in my sweaty hand. heheh

I know you're talking about the F2.5, but I think its a problem in general, for quite a few people.

IMHO that's a valid point, Dragon.

>
#379571 - 03/22/01 09:14 AM Re: Would the developers be willing to consider this?  
Orangutan Offline
Orangutan  Offline

Helsinki, Finland
Hear, hear!

Cheers,
Orangutan

#379572 - 03/22/01 10:53 AM Re: Would the developers be willing to consider this?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

From where I stand guys, my understanding of the situation is, that they`ve decided to give away 2.5 in the first place, because they`ve been lackin` the production facilities and/or distribution channels...and probably the proper backing(read-money) from...whomever...

What I see has happened was this:

As the word on the freebie has spread, the whiners have started, download this, modem that, breakapart file pahleeezz, so they(ED, SSI, Carl...) have started to look for alternative ways to distribute the patch...and maybe pick up a few morsels for themselves...
...all while there is a warehouse load of unsold Flanker2 CDs rottin` somewhere...
So someone happened by EB. They`ve made the offer. EB has distribution channels...but why would EB invest in distributing something...if you can already download it for free...

They made the deal...the rest is history...

Now, all that is speculation of course...and it supposes, that EB is printing the 2.5 patch...on a separate CD...

And of course followin` the same logic, the download version WILL be late...with some vague excuse...

But hey, at least there IS a 2.5 addon...and work goin` on LOMAC as we speak...

I`m happy

...on a 56K...

#379573 - 03/23/01 07:24 PM Re: Would the developers be willing to consider this?  
Dino Offline
Dino  Offline

Millbrae, CA
I am almost beginning to think the 2.5 patch will not be free, at least for a while.

My thought is that EB will probably want SSI to hold off on distributing the patch initially just so they can make some money on it in the stores. Their thinking may be that even if you already own Flanker 2.0, you will be so excited to have the patch, many of you will venture into the store and buy it. Worst case scenario is that at least you venture into the store to look at the new packaging with the CD. Once they get you in the door, the rest is up to them.

#379574 - 03/24/01 07:29 AM Re: Would the developers be willing to consider this?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Dino:
I am almost beginning to think the 2.5 patch will not be free, at least for a while.

My thought is that EB will probably want SSI to hold off on distributing the patch initially just so they can make some money on it in the stores. Their thinking may be that even if you already own Flanker 2.0, you will be so excited to have the patch, many of you will venture into the store and buy it. Worst case scenario is that at least you venture into the store to look at the new packaging with the CD. Once they get you in the door, the rest is up to them.

That's not true. The EB deal is something that occurred AFTER we announced the free upgrade. We still have every intention of releasing the V2.5 upgrade for free downloading. It will happen soon.

Carl

#379575 - 03/24/01 07:37 AM Re: Would the developers be willing to consider this?  
Dino Offline
Dino  Offline

Millbrae, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Combatsim_ssi:
That's not true. The EB deal is something that occurred AFTER we announced the free upgrade. We still have every intention of releasing the V2.5 upgrade for free downloading. It will happen soon.

Carl

I hear ya Carl. No promises though.

#379576 - 03/24/01 09:11 AM Re: Would the developers be willing to consider this?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Eeeh...frigg it...it hurts...now...

2.5 me please...

Don`t reply for a few days...[pah-leezz]...

LOMAC uber alles...

[This message has been edited by Toecutter (edited March 24, 2001).]

#379577 - 03/25/01 12:38 AM Re: Would the developers be willing to consider this?  
Orangutan Offline
Orangutan  Offline

Helsinki, Finland
Carl,

Any comment on the original question on this thread?

Whining ,56K, HD space ... yada yada.. ad infinitum...

Orangutan

#379578 - 03/27/01 04:15 PM Re: Would the developers be willing to consider this?  
Tomcat84 Offline
Tomcat84  Offline

I thought i read somewhere that SSI was looking at getting it on games mags' cds??

Or did i just fanatsize that one up?

Intel Core i5-4660K @ 4.3 ghz
8 GB (2 x 4GB) DDR 3
EVGA GeForce GTX 770 SC
#379579 - 03/27/01 06:39 PM Re: Would the developers be willing to consider this?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tom -

That would make SO much sense - I really hope they invest the moola to make that happen. Look at the coverage LO would get - it would virtually ENSURE a place in the sun for Lock On. That's what we need - I really look forward not just for the first installment, but the other follow-on additions that have been hinted at on the condition that Lock On "does well."

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.