Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
#3792898 - 06/06/13 05:01 PM Re: Rudder pedals - prototype 1 - possible production [Re: milan_croatia]  
milan_croatia Offline
milan_croatia  Offline

Split, Croatia
@ Brandano
- Yes, I use that cable, called "mic" cable. It has a proper shielding and good flexibility. I have two joints and wasn't happy with one of them. Simply I needed to make it visible becouse I couldn't make nice loop underneath becouse spring would interfere. I disassembled complete pedals today so I think better and I found a nice way. I made a nice hole in the underside of front arm so cable has a nice loop now. I used a hot glue gun to seal the place where it enter the material to the controller - becouse that's where the cable is weakest - on the connector. I think It will last, hopefully 10 years. I have some similar cable joints on some machinery and it's still good after 10 years so.

Onfortunately nothing last forever, so I think after 10-15 years user will need to replace the cable for brakes. It's not a big deal but makes me sad as I carefuly picked other components to last. For example I pick the bearings that will should never experience fatique if force does not exceed 38 kg.

WIDTH
I really like the width of the design, like I said, just right. I decided not to touch it for now. We test pedals and start selling, I'll make small series of 5 pcs. So I'll wait for customer feedback on width. Pedals will go thru proper testing anyway in Croatia. This prototype is about to take a journey around the country for simmers to try, simmers who already own saiteks, simpeds and CH. I'll see what they have to say about width...among other things.

@Lausbub78
No wrong impression, don't worry. Even if you really don't like the design I would't mind...Everyone has right to like or dislike and I will never have anything against that...as far as truth is being spoken and no bad intentions :-)

Watch later for some new pic, I think you'll like some small improvement that I'll post later when I assemble it back.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3793197 - 06/07/13 06:34 AM Re: Rudder pedals - prototype 1 - possible production [Re: milan_croatia]  
davidred Offline
davidred  Offline

austria
so you use hall effect sensors for the brakes, and magnetresistor for the rudder itself?

sorry my ignorance, but whats the benefit of using magnetresistor instead of hall sensor?

btw Milan, dont forget to really inform me once you are ready to sell them! biggrin

PS: oh and btw, i created a thread on the DCS forum with a link to this thread....to spread the word(hope you dont mind)

Last edited by davidred; 06/07/13 06:35 AM.
#3793288 - 06/07/13 01:36 PM Re: Rudder pedals - prototype 1 - possible production [Re: milan_croatia]  
milan_croatia Offline
milan_croatia  Offline

Split, Croatia
Ok I post pictures of what I think is a final product...if design goes thru testing well.
I put MSFFB2 nearby so you get some size perspective.

Let's see how careful you looked at my design. Two things are new. You tell me which ones :-)

To davidred : Don't worry I will contact you. I count on your purchase and will contact you when testing is near finish.
Magnetoresistors are really better than hall sensors. How much in practice, I see little difference. Mainly it is beter becouse it has less interference with other magnetic fields etc. Also linear output, more accurate and responsive, less noisy signal etc. It is also possible to adjust reading angle...different resistors on board. In hall sensors it is done by reducing voltage reading for let's say from 1 to 4 volts instead of full 0-5 volts...so you see full resolution but you clearly loose some precision. I will start manufacture with magnetoresistors but will continue to experiment with halls to see the real world difference :-)

Thanks on spreading the good news. I'll soon start to spread the news to wider audience myself :-

Milan

#3793316 - 06/07/13 02:46 PM Re: Rudder pedals - prototype 1 - possible production [Re: milan_croatia]  
Lausbub78 Offline
Lausbub78  Offline

One thing that has changed I know for sure. It's the Ring where the Screw to fasten The Footrests is. It's made out of aluminium now. The other change I can just guess. It's propably the cable that now is fit below the front rudderbar.

Edit: I think I now know whats the second change is. It's not the cable,but you used some black screws instead of chrome ones. :o)

Last edited by Lausbub78; 06/07/13 04:58 PM.
#3793489 - 06/07/13 08:49 PM Re: Rudder pedals - prototype 1 - possible production [Re: milan_croatia]  
milan_croatia Offline
milan_croatia  Offline

Split, Croatia
On target :-). Cables are not new, but can be seen a bit becouse I made a bigger loop so they will last longer :-)

Few reasons on aluminium rings for brake limiter :
Smaller ring without sacrificing strenght, as user can put great amount of pressure on that part. So I have a peace of mind if someone want to torture my baby :-)
look better too

I've put some black screws that I had in workshop, onfortunately I don't have all needed dimension at the moment but just to give me a feel on looks. What do you think, do you like it. They nicely blend in a black and white design, that's why. I'm just sorting out last pieces of a puzzle :-)

#3793682 - 06/08/13 08:31 AM Re: Rudder pedals - prototype 1 - possible production [Re: milan_croatia]  
davidred Offline
davidred  Offline

austria
hey milan!
dont worry, you can count on my purchase!
the market is really lacking of high qualitiy rudder pedals...CH and Saitek ones are only of "average" quality, and still use pots.their resolution(at least ch ones) are kind of a bad joke, and therefore precise rudder inputs are impossible.so they somehow force you to add curvature settings, which i really want to avoid.i prefer to have linear input, which is not possible without bad spiking near the center with my ch pedals.
your pedals on the other hand, not only use a better technology under the hood, but also the hood looks way better...from this thread one can see that you really have put a lot of effort in design, and also the material seems of high quality...so i see this purchase as a last investement for rudder pedals.they look like they could last forever.and if they serve me 10+ years, im happy.

btw, i really hope you you put as much effort in packaging them, so that they arrive healthy to the buyer.it would be a shame if the pedals got somehow damaged during shipping.
but again im sure, you find a good solution!cheers!

#3793686 - 06/08/13 10:44 AM Re: Rudder pedals - prototype 1 - possible production [Re: milan_croatia]  
Lausbub78 Offline
Lausbub78  Offline

Black screws would look better in my opinion,but thats more a case of personal taste. Shouldn't be much of a problem for anyone,if he doesn't like the black screws,to exchange them with ones he likes better.

BTW,you can count on my purchase aswell. :o)

#3793739 - 06/08/13 04:26 PM Re: Rudder pedals - prototype 1 - possible production [Re: milan_croatia]  
milan_croatia Offline
milan_croatia  Offline

Split, Croatia
Davidred...using curvature settings is a thing of preference. Despite the precision I also added slight curvature in ROF, just to keep me more precise around center. I any way experience and accuracy are improved a lot, but you need to get used to full linear settings. It all depends on simulator and a flight model implemented. In real plane pedals move linear but plane response is not linear at all. So your settings will depend on simulator, plane that you fly and personal preference.

I like black screws too, but will see which ones to implement.

Some real pilots tested pedals and their impression is excellent. Intresting all of them wanted a bit loose spring setting and liked a weak centering feel. Speaking that no center detent is not necessary. Many think that pedals deflection is too long...not unpleasent but more than realistic. Braking deflection also too long. I knew that's true but I think for flight simulation it's better to have a bit bigger deflection, mostly for shooting accuracy in combat simulators.

Pilots include cro army pilatus PC9 and Zlin instructor, and old legendary Croatian test and army pilot who is retired now. Few PPL pilots.
I am still waiting for other friends to test. One is Captain on Dash, another fly airbus A320, another is Mi-8 pilot and Bell pilot in croatian army. So far so good.

I am mostly waiting for a fried who has Simpeds F16 to make video review and comparison. Hopefully I'll find someone with saiteks too.
Then I start selling.

#3794433 - 06/10/13 05:45 PM Re: Rudder pedals - prototype 1 - possible production [Re: milan_croatia]  
milan_croatia Offline
milan_croatia  Offline

Split, Croatia
Now while testing is in progress i am sorting out some last bits. One of them is a brand and a model name. I would like you to give your comment on this one too. So what do you think about :

MSG Crosswind Master
MSG stands for Milan Simulation Gear

Possible also
MSG Bullseye
MSG GustMaster

Full company will be
Šimundža & Co
MSG Department

I thought also to use "SIMAIR" as a brand...Like my surname Šimundža-air. But I think it's SIM is used extensively and kind of worn out word, despite its a short word for my surname.

Last edited by milan_croatia; 06/10/13 05:48 PM.
#3794964 - 06/11/13 04:25 PM Re: Rudder pedals - prototype 1 - possible production [Re: milan_croatia]  
Volans Offline
Volans  Offline

Good work! I like your design, looks like a long lasting device and using magnetresistors is a plus. I belive that you should let more people to test them, and after that pick a suitable 'name'. I (personally) dislike long and colorful names, I like only MSG (Mark I).
Keep up the good work,if I had not already my own home built pedals I would have definitely considered yours

#3795311 - 06/12/13 02:21 AM Re: Rudder pedals - prototype 1 - possible production [Re: milan_croatia]  
recoilfx Offline
recoilfx  Offline

Well.. MSG commnonly stands for mono sodium glutamate (atleast here at US), not something that people associate positively..

#3795418 - 06/12/13 11:04 AM Re: Rudder pedals - prototype 1 - possible production [Re: milan_croatia]  
milan_croatia Offline
milan_croatia  Offline

Split, Croatia
I wondered why there is no such brand already. Now I know :-) Thx recoilfx.

damn, finding a proper name is harder than building it

#3795426 - 06/12/13 11:23 AM Re: Rudder pedals - prototype 1 - possible production [Re: milan_croatia]  
milan_croatia Offline
milan_croatia  Offline

Split, Croatia
Maybe Šimundža Simulation Gear

Šimundža SG

SSG Crosswind Master

Šimundža is my Surname. I wonder how bad and hard to pronounce it sounds for you. I work with Italians a lot and they mostly break their thung trying :-) kinda funny. Our furniture company logo looks excellent
SG

#3795462 - 06/12/13 12:52 PM Re: Rudder pedals - prototype 1 - possible production [Re: milan_croatia]  
milan_croatia Offline
milan_croatia  Offline

Split, Croatia
While testing I am still upgrading my model so here are latest news :

- Cutouts in a baseplate - finished...now definitely under 5 kg with packing :-) problem sorted
- New seating for spring for brakes - now in shaft ( before it was in foot plate). Now pedal style change Involve only foot plates change. So it will be cheaper to by F16 style - as it will be without shaft, spring and magnet :-) You can also easily acomodate your own , for example if you have worn out simpeds you can use their aluminium F-16 plates - just drill two holes for screws :-)
- New cam design. Now it has a clear sensed center, but it's easy to "slide" over center. The thing is, I'm still not happy with it so it's not finished. But this one goes to testers too so they will decide.

Other news...
While I tested the baseplate to see If I weakened it too much I found glue braking point. On right side of parralelogram vertical surface which hold the foot plate and shaft is made of two composite pieces glued together. Well glue started to give up upon 60 Kg vertical impact on that pedal. As you can see everything is still in place as it did not give up completely. I could add two screws there but I think it's more than enough becouse 60 kg impact will never happen and I am certain not vertical but angle forces up to 40 kg on each pedal can happen.

So strenght is good.

- I also modified wall spacers - screws are not sinked in anymore as I think it is unnecessary weakening that small pieces.

Also, after many considerations I decided to reduce the width a little. So little that comfort will not be in question and more people can make the fit. I cannot reduce more, so sorry for people who still cannot fit. New dimensions are

Total width - 49,5 cm ( with 0 degree pedal inclination angle toward the outside)
Center to center distance - 39 cm
Foot plate new dimensions - 29x10,5 cm ( usefull lenght 28 cm)

BTW testing on existing prototype are very good so far

#3795534 - 06/12/13 03:04 PM Re: Rudder pedals - prototype 1 - possible production [Re: milan_croatia]  
Lausbub78 Offline
Lausbub78  Offline

You could use the Company logo with your name in it and add "Flight Gear" instead of "Simulation Gear". I like the letters of the Company logo. Maybe use the letters in another colour and with another Background for the Simulator products....something more related to planes or helicopters and stuff.

Sorry I can't give more inspiration. I'm more comfortable with technical and mechanical stuff,designing and the like is not my strength.^^

#3795686 - 06/12/13 06:06 PM Re: Rudder pedals - prototype 1 - possible production [Re: milan_croatia]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
Looking like a very professional set of pedals there......I'll definitely be looking to buy a set of these.

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
#3795725 - 06/12/13 07:08 PM Re: Rudder pedals - prototype 1 - possible production [Re: milan_croatia]  
milan_croatia Offline
milan_croatia  Offline

Split, Croatia
- I forget to tell you that baseplate got a bit wider to add more stability when using strongest spring settings

Thanks on your interest Paradaz. Make shure to check this thread until I put up a website - that will happen as soon as I definitively decide on the brand name :-)

"Flight gear" is good.
This way I could use MFG which sounds better - Milan flight gear. I hope that doesn't mean something bad, again.

Šimundža & Co FG is also good, but a bit too long. Company logo will be there but I want to have something short.

#3795733 - 06/12/13 07:23 PM Re: Rudder pedals - prototype 1 - possible production [Re: milan_croatia]  
AndyB Offline
AndyB  Offline

Ayrshire, Scotland
How about this for the logo ?

Cheers,

Andy

Last edited by AndyB; 06/12/13 07:30 PM.

Andy's simpit: http://www.simpit.me.uk
#3795836 - 06/12/13 10:39 PM Re: Rudder pedals - prototype 1 - possible production [Re: milan_croatia]  
milan_croatia Offline
milan_croatia  Offline

Split, Croatia
Hi Andy. Welcome to our little conversation
That's really awesome. You are really helpfull. I presume you like MFG then.

I think everything can stay nicely like that, but I should change those colors to be more like aviator gear, and also to distinguish from furniture business.

#3796093 - 06/13/13 01:09 PM Re: Rudder pedals - prototype 1 - possible production [Re: milan_croatia]  
AndyB Offline
AndyB  Offline

Ayrshire, Scotland
HI,
Yeah! I think MFG is sort and snappy (nice short website name if you go down that route too).

I'd go with shades of grey\blue for the new colours as those are associated with the military and avaition.

Best of luck for the future.

Andy

PS as an ex aircraft engineer I can appreciate the design and manufacturing work gone in to your pedals. Very nice design!

Andy's simpit: http://www.simpit.me.uk
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.