Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#3788212 - 05/27/13 01:28 PM Re: ED: DCS Survey [Re: Silver_Dragon]  
n4p0l3onic Offline
n4p0l3onic  Offline

you know, I think, selling every product start from a low level sim first might be a good idea to run this combat flight sim business...

for example sell a basic F/A-18C module first, for like $25-30 first, with basic functions like current FC3 jets, then they can sell clickable 6DOF cockpits upgrade for like $15 for early adopters or straight $45 for a more complete products; then make the same upgrade step for the AFM and perhaps another final upgrade for the detailed avionics

the total package could go to $75 or something but we can have a choice between 'paid it by installments' over the years, or buying the final available products at the time for a straight combined sum of money.

that way maybe we can all be happy? it's kinda like ArmA3 on steam, but instead of free upgrade to the final full contents, we will need to pay...

not an ideal way but that can keep all sides happy?!?

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3788223 - 05/27/13 02:07 PM Re: ED: DCS Survey [Re: - Ice]  
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot
GrayGhost  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: - Ice
Really? If so, that's good news. So why is ED contemplating on a non-DCS-level F-15 and Su-27? Why not simply let FC3 be that product and use the manpower to develop the other things the community is asking for? Like Nevada, or DCS Fast Jet, or another WWII aircraft to go against the P-51? Another one of those things that do not make sense.

It doesn't make sense to who/what? Ubisoft gets a cut from every FC sale in one way or another. Why would ED want to add AFM to that stable for free?

Quote:
However, what are the sales figures of Ace Combat or Hawx compared to DCS titles? I suspect there are a lot of "easy avionics" gamers out there, and it's fine if ED wants to cater to them. However, just as those guys "move on" to the next Ace Combat or Hawx game, I don't think those guys will be around for very long. Study simmers are a small market, I grant you that, but still doesn't explain ED's seemingly lack of direction.

ED know what they're doing. They know that FC is a flight sim, and not an arcade action game like HAWX or Ace Combat, and they know that a lot of people prefer simpler, without losing the flight or combat simulation.

Quote:
Do they want to be a title known for study sims? Or known for a quick shoot-'em-up with airplanes?

I know plenty of folks who do dedicated and long missions with those 'quick shoot-em-up-arcade airplanes'. I also know plenty of people who play their hifi sims in a very arcade way, and that includes F4 players.

Quote:
I'm not really sure mixing the dudes with TIRs and TM Warthogs with the gamers using an XBox controller is a good idea.

No one said it was, but on the other hand that's an idea that you've made up because you don't actually understand flight sims or flight simmers wink

--
44th VFW
#3788256 - 05/27/13 03:22 PM Re: ED: DCS Survey [Re: Silver_Dragon]  
SkateZilla Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
SkateZilla  Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran

Virginia Beach, VA
Polls say one thing, sales say another.... shrug... just make DCS Level AC with "Game Modes" lol

HAF922, Corsair RM850, ASRock Fata1ity 990FX Pro,
Modified Corsair H100, AMD FX8350 @ 5.31GHz, 16GB G.SKILL@DDR2133,
2x R7970 Lightnings, +1 HD7950 @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Fata1ity Platinum Champ.,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns�G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050), Oculus Rift CV
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throt., Pro Pedals, TM Warthog & MFDs, Fanatec CSR Wheel/Shifter, Elite Pedals
Intensity Pro 10-Bit, TrackIR 4 Pro, WD Black 1.5TB, WD Black 640GB, Samsung 850 500GB, My Book 4TB
#3788265 - 05/27/13 03:57 PM Re: ED: DCS Survey [Re: Silver_Dragon]  
Tigerwulf Offline
Tigerwulf  Offline

Wolverhampton, England
Maybe FC3 is the best selling because it's the only way for fast mover fans to get their fix in DCS and also fast movers are probably more popular with the casual flight simmer too.

I think ED should concentrate on the DCS grade aircraft personally. Maybe they could add an ADD option to all aircraft.

#3788288 - 05/27/13 04:57 PM Re: ED: DCS Survey [Re: Smokin_Hole]  
Frederf Offline
Frederf  Offline

Originally Posted By: Smokin_Hole
The master plan really is mystifying as hell. But as another poster has pointed out, players, including me, have bought into steps along the way BECAUSE we didn't know the next step/upgrade/revision/. In hindsight, its a fairly savvy business model. I would suspect something nefarious but for the fact that I've been watching closely since Black Shark was announced. Over those years I've seen a company that's more "successfully flailing" rather scheduling planned steps to keep a constant revenue stream coming from a faithful customer base.

The Study Sim on its own is a dead (or at least dying) business model. The core must be a good game. Once the player has been given the jet and the 600 pages of instructions on how to employ it, he must be given a compelling and living world to play in. I just don't see people attracted to the genre otherwise. Early flight sim developers understood this. Their sims were lighter but the gameplay was richer. Flanker succeeded despite being little more than a sandbox because the flight model was a generation ahead--and still is.

I can only speak for myself. And I know my prediction of doom above probably won't have a lot of adherents. But that's where my head's been at for the last two years. I know what I want and I know that it's possible but no developer seems willing to provide it: a world with loads of air assets, soldiers and vehicles behaving in tactically believable ways all generated dynamically. The great thing about such a persistent and dynamic world is that you can enter it in Single Player or Multi-Player and have a rich experience either way. That's a pretty compelling reason to spend 10-30 minutes planning and cold-starting a flight. What we have now no longer is for me.

I couldn't agree more with this.

1. ED progression is mystifying and the mystery has caused customers to have different spending habits (more) than if the plan was transparent.
2. Focus on hardcore simulation to the detriment of a rich world to use it in practically guarantees long term failure.
3. Microprose was the only developer to realize what flight sims really needed in a ground-up way and it nearly killed them.

#3788325 - 05/27/13 07:08 PM Re: ED: DCS Survey [Re: Silver_Dragon]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
One thing I think is missing from DCS planes is a mid-level option.
With the A-10C and Ka-50 there is no way to make them FC3-level. You can play full-real, or you can turn it into some arcadey HAWX/AC wannabe. There's not even the illusion of realism then.
But there is no way to make the A-10C work at the same level as the A-10A in FC, and I think that would've been a good idea. FC doesn't need clickable cockpits because there aren't enough commands to need it. G for gear, F for flaps, 2 for AA, 7 for AG, D to cycle weapons, and so on. Only when they get really complex do you need a clickable pit.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3788331 - 05/27/13 07:22 PM Re: ED: DCS Survey [Re: Smokin_Hole]  
toonces Offline
toonces  Offline

Honolulu, Hawaii
Originally Posted By: Smokin_Hole
The master plan really is mystifying as hell. But as another poster has pointed out, players, including me, have bought into steps along the way BECAUSE we didn't know the next step/upgrade/revision/. In hindsight, its a fairly savvy business model. I would suspect something nefarious but for the fact that I've been watching closely since Black Shark was announced. Over those years I've seen a company that's more "successfully flailing" rather scheduling planned steps to keep a constant revenue stream coming from a faithful customer base.

The Study Sim on its own is a dead (or at least dying) business model. The core must be a good game. Once the player has been given the jet and the 600 pages of instructions on how to employ it, he must be given a compelling and living world to play in. I just don't see people attracted to the genre otherwise. Early flight sim developers understood this. Their sims were lighter but the gameplay was richer. Flanker succeeded despite being little more than a sandbox because the flight model was a generation ahead--and still is.

I can only speak for myself. And I know my prediction of doom above probably won't have a lot of adherents. But that's where my head's been at for the last two years. I know what I want and I know that it's possible but no developer seems willing to provide it: a world with loads of air assets, soldiers and vehicles behaving in tactically believable ways all generated dynamically. The great thing about such a persistent and dynamic world is that you can enter it in Single Player or Multi-Player and have a rich experience either way. That's a pretty compelling reason to spend 10-30 minutes planning and cold-starting a flight. What we have now no longer is for me.

I usually don't like to quote entire posts like this, but man alive did you completely capture my own thoughts perfectly. Now get out of my head!

"A week or even a month for someone basically saying "shucks, this is pants" maybe. But their banhammer only has the forever setting. Gotta set phasers to stun for the localization of female undergarments, not kill yo." - Frederf
#3788357 - 05/27/13 08:37 PM Re: ED: DCS Survey [Re: Silver_Dragon]  
nadal Offline
nadal  Offline

Actually, ED is listening to those who make much of the rich environment(including me).
If you are really looking carefully to the changes, they are indeed moving forward to the dynamic thing.

AddNewGroup function for MIST they have implemented in the last big patch is a great concrete example.
It now allows us to create a new group(ofcourse you can give them waypoints, task them whatever mission you want) in the middle of session, not the pre-scripted activate style we had before.
This means it might be already possible to make a mission that AI(Even Client flight is possible, but havent tested) react accordingly to the various situation change, infinitely, if you are good at lua.

Last edited by nadal; 05/27/13 09:39 PM.
#3788380 - 05/27/13 10:00 PM Re: ED: DCS Survey [Re: GrayGhost]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Wow, 3 posts since signing in and one is dedicated to dissecting my response!

Quote:
I think most don't consider ace combat, HAWX etc to be a sim at all (the same way you don't see CoD be called a low-level infantry sim). So when they are talking about low-lvl sim, they are talking about FC lvl of simulation.

Sim, game, whatever. So in your case, what is low-, mid-, and high- level sim?

Quote:
Not to you, but to their customers. That is a much wider and diverse group than just you.

What makes you think I am not a customer? Three copies of A10C, one BS2, one FC2, and one FC3.... but of course I am not deluding myself that I am ED's ONLY customer. This is, of course, my opinion but judging by the posts here and on ED's forums, I am sure I am not the only one with these sentiments. biggrin

Quote:
Yes, it is their resposibility. That's why their are releasing other products, because there is no other way a game developer can obtain money. Don't like what they are releasing? Don't buy it. Easy as that. But keep in mind that other people do enjoy those products, and that's the reason why they are releasing them.
I've never seen ED forcing their customers to buy their products, nor did I saw any kind of persuation 'please buy this product, or we will go out of business'.

Of course they can release other products to obtain money. The main point I was making was the clear lack of direction ED is showing with regards to their development and release of products. I mean, release a helo sim, then a CAS platform, then another "updated" helo sim, then a WWII era aircraft, then a ground-based something-or-other.... how does that make sense? It's like ED has a dartboard in their office and they got pictures of various military vehicles/aircraft and they just work on whatever the dart hits next.

While people do enjoy DCS products, these do not necessarily tie very well with each other --- imagine if DCS released products in a more sensible manner? Say, release P-51, soon follwed by another era-specific aircraft, plus maybe some era-specific anti-air vehicles as well... how fun would that be? While people do enjoy the P-51, there currently is nothing for them to do, unless they want to do silly dogfights with A-10s which isn't really what the "sim" is about, is it? When is the "Red" aircraft coming out? No clue.

Bottom line is -- DCS can make good products if they want to. BS2 and A10C is evidence of this. But they must not move 3 steps backward for every step forward they make. I refer to the massive FPS slowdown when using CBUs, but there are other examples as well. We all want DCS to succeed, we all want our gorgeous eye candy, we all want to fly in different theatres at DCS-terrain-quality, but it's difficult to do that until ED shows some sign of direction. And asking people if they want "hardcore or game" shows lack of direction.

If you need to attack any more of my points, I invite you to read the rest of the posts on this thread and maybe peruse a bit on the ED forums. biggrin

@ Smokin_Hole, I agree with your points about good game. The BMS "dynamic campaign" has people scratching their heads, even the dev guy said he won't do it again, but that quirky "what the hell is the AI gonna do next?!" makes me go back for more. It is unfortunate that even with the 30mm gun, the beautiful terrain, and the variety of jets, the DCS world fails to "immerse" me the way BMS does.

Quote:
the total package could go to $75 or something but we can have a choice between 'paid it by installments' over the years, or buying the final available products at the time for a straight combined sum of money.

Ummm, that just sounds wrong. Can't put my finger on it, maybe it's the "DLC concept" that is not sitting well with me.

Originally Posted By: GrayGhost
It doesn't make sense to who/what? Ubisoft gets a cut from every FC sale in one way or another. Why would ED want to add AFM to that stable for free?

What doesn't make sense is why release FC3 at all, thereby giving more money to UBI. Nobody came up with the idea of DCSW F-15 and DCSW SU-27 (note - DCSWorld, not DCS) until **AFTER** they released FC3? Yeah, right.

ED know what they're doing.

Of course they do. Of course.

I know plenty of folks who do dedicated and long missions with those 'quick shoot-em-up-arcade airplanes'. I also know plenty of people who play their hifi sims in a very arcade way, and that includes F4 players.

Nothing wrong with either way of flying! Sometimes you only have time for a "quickie," sometimes you wanna go full-derp! But that doesn't mean ED knows which direction it's taking. biggrin

No one said it was, but on the other hand that's an idea that you've made up because you don't actually understand flight sims or flight simmers

Just because we have differing opinions, you decide it's time to attack me on a personal level? Hahahaha! Thank you for enlightening me on what I do and don't understand.

@ Skate -- exactly my point. If ED had a clue, they'd make the sim hardcore with options to turn things down, which, as far as I understand, was an option in DCS A10C. Can't really verify now as I've never tried it, always went full realism. But anyway, what's stopping ED from doing the same approach? Imagine a DCS F-15C and DCS SU-27!! My wallet will cry! And with the option to simplify some aspects, even the "simmers lite" will rejoice!

- Ice
#3788472 - 05/28/13 02:48 AM Re: ED: DCS Survey [Re: Silver_Dragon]  
jenrick Offline
jenrick  Offline

There is very little money to be made in the commercial gaming market for high fidelity simulations. Compared to almost every other sector of the gaming market it is extremely small. Angry Birds will make more money this year with its various franchises then ED probably will in it's entire time of existence. The economic realities of the situation dictate that they HAVE to tap into the larger hobbyist market rather then remaining solely the domain of high fidelity.

-Jenrick

#3788525 - 05/28/13 09:18 AM Re: ED: DCS Survey [Re: jenrick]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: jenrick
There is very little money to be made in the commercial gaming market for high fidelity simulations. Compared to almost every other sector of the gaming market it is extremely small. Angry Birds will make more money this year with its various franchises then ED probably will in it's entire time of existence. The economic realities of the situation dictate that they HAVE to tap into the larger hobbyist market rather then remaining solely the domain of high fidelity.

That's a given, but just because Angry Birds makes more money, it doesn't follow that ED will have to release DCS Angry Birds to survive! biggrin

Another thing to consider is because this is a small market, they are better off treating their customers right and getting the long-term support rather than screwing them over and dying a humiliating death. The fiasco with BS2, even if we were to say they had every right and reason to upgrade BS1, could've been handled way better. Hopefully, they've learned from it, but if depending on how they pull DCSW F-15 and DCSW SU-27 off, they might well rub a lot of customers the wrong way.

- Ice
#3788596 - 05/28/13 01:31 PM Re: ED: DCS Survey [Re: Silver_Dragon]  
bonchie Offline
bonchie  Offline

I think the piece-meal approach will alienate more customers then it gains in the long run and that's my complaint at this point. It's why I quit ROF.

I'm not against DLC, but I think DLC should be part of larger, complete releases and fit into the existing structure.

As much as the UH-1H looks the part, I just can't justify buying it with no supporting game around it (i.e. campaign, theater, units).

A-10C and FC3 were full featured products, but it looks like the new direction is "buy random plane" or "buy random terrain" and just do whatever. It doesn't appeal to me or to the masses of gamers out there who buy games for the factor of immersion (yes, story, campaign, the setting of the game, etc. are even important in simulators).

Last edited by bonchie; 05/28/13 01:34 PM.
#3788603 - 05/28/13 01:47 PM Re: ED: DCS Survey [Re: - Ice]  
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot
GrayGhost  Offline
Hotshot

No one said it was, but on the other hand that's an idea that you've made up because you don't actually understand flight sims or flight simmers

Just because we have differing opinions, you decide it's time to attack me on a personal level? Hahahaha! Thank you for enlightening me on what I do and don't understand.

Your post made your position and understanding of the market obvious, so I just stated the obvious.

Quote:
If ED had a clue, they'd make the sim hardcore with options to turn things down, which, as far as I understand, was an option in DCS A10C.

No, it's more of an option between 'full realism' and 'arcade' (more to the point, it was actually made to work with your xbox controller). The options aren't fine-grained enough.

Quote:
Can't really verify now as I've never tried it, always went full realism. But anyway, what's stopping ED from doing the same approach? Imagine a DCS F-15C and DCS SU-27!!

Nothing, they've always done it. But it isn't 'sim lite' vs 'full real', especially for the A-10C. In some cases, take the P-51, there is something like 'auto-rudder', which helps with one thing without removing realism from the simulation apart from rudder control.

The simple fact is that offering two levels of simulation is like developing two different simulations in many respects, so I'd say your idea is backwards - jumping straight into the full sim development is very expensive. Doing the light version first works better for ED in the long run, and they can think about offering a med/hi-fi switch. Creating a switch adds time to development, so maybe they'll decide to do the next project instead.

Last edited by GrayGhost; 05/28/13 01:48 PM.

--
44th VFW
#3788731 - 05/28/13 05:15 PM Re: ED: DCS Survey [Re: Silver_Dragon]  
Michiel Offline
Senior Junior Member
Michiel  Offline
Senior Junior Member

The Netherlands
Can't we all just be happy that they still make these kind of games.
You can all call it what you want, but they are still games.

and i don't understand the reasoning behind some of the things ED has done.
But i'm really happy they are still out there making excellent games.

a very senior junior member ;-)
#3788734 - 05/28/13 05:29 PM Re: ED: DCS Survey [Re: Jedi Master]  
malibu43 Offline
malibu43  Offline

SoCal
Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
One thing I think is missing from DCS planes is a mid-level option.
With the A-10C and Ka-50 there is no way to make them FC3-level. You can play full-real, or you can turn it into some arcadey HAWX/AC wannabe. There's not even the illusion of realism then.
But there is no way to make the A-10C work at the same level as the A-10A in FC, and I think that would've been a good idea. FC doesn't need clickable cockpits because there aren't enough commands to need it. G for gear, F for flaps, 2 for AA, 7 for AG, D to cycle weapons, and so on. Only when they get really complex do you need a clickable pit.

The Jedi Master

+1

Sager NP8671 17.3" Notebook, i74720HQ (3.6GHz), GTX 970M (3.0GB), 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB 7200RPM HD, TrackIR 4, CH HOTAS and rudder pedals
#3788803 - 05/28/13 07:24 PM Re: ED: DCS Survey [Re: Nate]  
Skoop Offline
Skoop  Offline

Ventura, CalifornIA
Originally Posted By: Nate
The fact that they have to ask this question baffles me.

The Fact that FC3 far outsold all other DCS titles is not to be ignored however. The Survey and the sales figures are at odds with one another.

Nate

The popularity of FC3 has more to do with the wide range of aircraft to fly, more so than the fact that it is lower fidelity. I almost bought it so I could have the capability to do air2air. Just look at the 51 server right now, 20 people on a random tuesday....that's because they cater to air2air.

Trust me, if ED completes DCS F/A-18C, it will break all ED sales records. This AC will feed the air2air and the A2G crowds, it will probally become the most used AC by the community, so why delay it any longer.

F/A-18C = Cash for ED
AH-64A = Cash for ED
Why mess around with anything else but these 2 modules ? I thought the 3rd party devs would help ED focus on important things like these 2 highly sought after projects.

#3788808 - 05/28/13 07:38 PM Re: ED: DCS Survey [Re: Silver_Dragon]  
Skoop Offline
Skoop  Offline

Ventura, CalifornIA
ON another note, low fidelity doesn't necessarily mean easier. I fly the Su-25T because it's only AC in the game that can do SEAD missions, but with no nav, radios for jtacts, or TAD to coordinate with wingmen it's hard to stay alive in a very lethal DCS World.

#3788809 - 05/28/13 07:43 PM Re: ED: DCS Survey [Re: bonchie]  
Pizzicato Offline
Asleep at the Wheel
Pizzicato  Offline
Asleep at the Wheel

Vancouver, BC
Originally Posted By: bonchie

As much as the UH-1H looks the part, I just can't justify buying it with no supporting game around it (i.e. campaign, theater, units).

Just in the interests of balanced reporting, the UH-1 does actually come with a really immersive, well put together campaign.

---------
Pizzicato
#3788832 - 05/28/13 08:27 PM Re: ED: DCS Survey [Re: GrayGhost]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Your post made your position and understanding of the market obvious, so I just stated the obvious.

Yes, my post contained my entire thought process regarding flight sims and simmers. Through the magic of the interwebz, you have gained insight into my brain have come to that conclusion. Bravo!

Nothing, they've always done it. But it isn't 'sim lite' vs 'full real', especially for the A-10C. In some cases, take the P-51, there is something like 'auto-rudder', which helps with one thing without removing realism from the simulation apart from rudder control.

The simple fact is that offering two levels of simulation is like developing two different simulations in many respects, so I'd say your idea is backwards - jumping straight into the full sim development is very expensive. Doing the light version first works better for ED in the long run, and they can think about offering a med/hi-fi switch. Creating a switch adds time to development, so maybe they'll decide to do the next project instead.

Yes, it is easier to make something that is "simple." However, they did this when A10C came out, offering both sim and "mid-level." Harder? Yes, maybe. But in that one instant, they catered both to the guys who wanted to do full-switchology startup and to those who wanted to press one key combo to get the engines to life. In that one instant, they've covered two bases. Win for ED, Win for both the hardcore customer and the "mid-level" customer.

But like I said, ED has to decide what it wants to be known for -- study sims, or "mid-level" representations. That's another way of saying they have to choose which market they want to cater to -- the hardcore sim crowd or the "mid-level" gamers. It cannot expect to put out "mid-level" stuff and still satisfy its hardcore market. Whatever the case is, the point still stands --- so far, ED doesn't seem to have a clue WHICH product to put out and HOW to put it out.

- Ice
#3788833 - 05/28/13 08:29 PM Re: ED: DCS Survey [Re: Skoop]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Skoop
F/A-18C = Cash for ED
AH-64A = Cash for ED
Why mess around with anything else but these 2 modules ? I thought the 3rd party devs would help ED focus on important things like these 2 highly sought after projects.

If ED releases either of or both of these titles (under DCS title, not DCSW), my wallet would hate me.

- Ice
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.