Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3788018 - 05/26/13 10:02 PM MFD Export with USB Monitor  
GreenMushroomEater Offline
GreenMushroomEater  Offline

Aargau, Switzerland
I recently bought a new 13" USB Monitor (Lenovo LT1421, fixed resolution 1366x768) and tried to use it as export target for the MFDs. Unfortunately it doesnt work.
I followed exactly the steps described in the wiki, but the screen remains blank.

I'm running on Win7 64bit, with Nvidia GTX 580 (to windows its appears as two display adapters, with each monitor out mapped to one display adapter).
My eech.ini looks like this:

Code:
MEMEXPORT=0                               
export_mfd=1                              
export_mfd_adapter=1                      
export_mfd_screen_width=1366              
export_mfd_screen_height=768              
export_mfd_left_pos=0,0,683,767           
export_mfd_right_pos=683,0,1365,767       
export_mfd_single_pos=0,0,256,256         

I tried different combinations like mirroring the second monitor port to the usb display but without success. What did work however, was to use the second monitor port as primaray port in eech and mirroring it to the usb display showin the main screen and the cockpit and my main monitor as mfd display. But it did not work the other way round.

Any suggestion what else I might try to get the setup working?

“You never kill anyone you want to kill in a war”
Ernest Hemingway, For Whom the Bell Tolls
#3788226 - 05/27/13 02:27 PM Re: MFD Export with USB Monitor [Re: GreenMushroomEater]  
GrizzlyT Offline
GrizzlyT  Offline

Sterling Heights, Michigan
Honestly, I don't know if USB monitors will work, I've never tried them.
My MFD LCDs are both VGA?!....and they are installed on a 2nd PC, getting their info thru a MaxiVasta setup.

However, I do know the number, in the .ini for "export mfd= x", does not always track with the number that windows assigns it.
If you haven't already, you may want to try different numbers?

Grizzly's Comanche Simulator
"Fear is the mind killer. - Frank Herbert"
#3788260 - 05/27/13 03:28 PM Re: MFD Export with USB Monitor [Re: GreenMushroomEater]  
AndyB Offline
AndyB  Offline

Ayrshire, Scotland
I seem to remember previous posts about USB monitors not working, but I'm not sure if it was in this situation.

Like GrizzlyT, my monitor is on a different PC and connected via MaxiVista.

I'd also second GrizzlyT's suggestion regarding trying different numbers. I think mine ended up as 2.

Cheers,

Andy

Andy's simpit: http://www.simpit.me.uk
#3788788 - 05/28/13 06:56 PM Re: MFD Export with USB Monitor [Re: GreenMushroomEater]  

Aargau, Switzerland
I tried to plug in my laptop as second monitor via MaxiVista, but it doesnt work either.
DXDiag now shows me two displays (first one is the local one, second one the maxivista).

Tried export_mfd_adapter=0, eech comes up, maxivista monitor on laptop goes blank, but no MFDs are shown.
Tried export_mfd_adapter=1, eech doesnt come up. Seems it tries to initialize the screen on the maxivista, but remains hanging with a black screen on first monitor. Alternatively it shown an DDERR_INVALIDOBJECT error message.

What version of MaxiVista do you use? The Pro Edition or the Standard (cheapest) as well? Are there any special settings you made in MaxiVista or the eech.ini? (like 32bit or notnl)?

#3788889 - 05/28/13 09:49 PM Re: MFD Export with USB Monitor [Re: GreenMushroomEater]  
Doctor_Wibble Offline
Doctor_Wibble  Offline

Originally Posted By: GreenMushroomEater
Alternatively it shown an DDERR_INVALIDOBJECT error message.

I could be mis-remembering something here, but I got the same (or possibly just similar) message when I replaced my screen and changed to using DVI instead of the VGA connector. Didn't think anything would notice, obviously something is numbered differently somewhere.
I renamed the game.cfg (deleting also works, renaming is better insurance) and it cured the problem. Had to re-do some settings though, including screen res etc.

#3789382 - 05/29/13 09:42 PM Re: MFD Export with USB Monitor [Re: GreenMushroomEater]  

Aargau, Switzerland
Still doesn't work frown
What I do see on the MaxiVista exported display, is kind of a diagonal line (top-left to bottom-right) that has something of a graphics error (its a line of randomly colored dots), but thats it.
Is it relevant, that MaxiVista states on the known limitation, that it's not working with DirectX or OpenGL? Oder does the MFD export work differently?

Has anyone got the mfd export running on Win7 (64) over MaxiVista? I begin to loose my confidence...

#3789556 - 05/30/13 11:22 AM Re: MFD Export with USB Monitor [Re: GreenMushroomEater]  
_mue Offline
_mue  Offline

It's been a long time since I wrote the mfd export code ...

USB monitors should work. I used a USB display adapter myself.

Enable both monitors (main monitor and the usb monitor) in the windows control panel. Select "Extend these displays" (NOT "duplicate these displays"). Make sure your main monitor is configured as primary display: "Make this my main display". Make sure that further monitors are disabled.

Now follow the steps as described in the wiki:

- delete game.cfg
- disable mfdexport (export_mfd=0)
- run eech
- configure the main screen in the game options menu (select the primary display and resolution)
- quit EECH
- enable mfdexport (export_mfd=1) and set mfd_export_adapter=0
- run EECH

If this didn't work, repeat the last two steps with mfd_export_adapter=1 (2,3,..)

I haven't used MaxiVista, so I can't help you with this.

#3790895 - 06/02/13 02:23 PM Re: MFD Export with USB Monitor [Re: GreenMushroomEater]  

Aargau, Switzerland
I tried it as you described, but it's still not working. The only combination where eech started at all, was to use mfd_export_adapter=0, with =1 the main screen remained blank (only reacted to ESC) and the usb display showed the Windows background, with any number higher that 2 it produced an d3d error (unable to initialise video card).

Any other suggestions? Maybe the MFDs are shown, but not on the right position? Maybe outside of the viewable area?

#3790964 - 06/02/13 06:41 PM Re: MFD Export with USB Monitor [Re: GreenMushroomEater]  
_mue Offline
_mue  Offline

Originally Posted By: GreenMushroomEater
I tried it as you described, but it's still not working. The only combination where eech started at all, was to use mfd_export_adapter=0, with =1 the main screen remained blank (only reacted to ESC) and the usb display showed the Windows background, with any number higher that 2 it produced an d3d error (unable to initialise video card).

You say with mfd_export_adapter=0 the game runs normal but the second screen only goes black and doesn't show the mfds. Is this correct?

Quote:

Any other suggestions? Maybe the MFDs are shown, but not on the right position? Maybe outside of the viewable area?

The only idea I have is to try changing the position and size of the exported mfds. E.g. make the mfd size 256x256:
Code:
export_mfd_left_pos=0,0,256,256           
export_mfd_right_pos=512,0,768,256    

#3790975 - 06/02/13 07:07 PM Re: MFD Export with USB Monitor [Re: _mue]  

Aargau, Switzerland
Quote:

You say with mfd_export_adapter=0 the game runs normal but the second screen only goes black and doesn't show the mfds. Is this correct?

Exactly. Seems the second display (the usb) seems to enter into some kind of directx mode, but doesnt show anything.

With mfd_export_adapter=1 the games doesnt start. With mfd_export=0 (disabled), the second monitor keeps showing windows background. So I assume mfd_export_adapter=0 is the right adapter.

#3790983 - 06/02/13 07:35 PM Re: MFD Export with USB Monitor [Re: GreenMushroomEater]  
thealx Offline
thealx  Offline

was curious how it works. I have monitor on vga and projector on hdmi so just tried it. game freezes every time at main screen, but it work after I set correct device in game settings - there is "primary", "automatic" and both displays with same name - I choose first (it's my monitor) and I have game picture on mon and mfds on projector. also set mfd_screen resolution 1024x768. maybe it will help. and second screen black until you turn on any mfd in heli, of course.

Last edited by thealx; 06/02/13 07:37 PM.
#3791793 - 06/04/13 12:50 PM Re: MFD Export with USB Monitor [Re: GreenMushroomEater]  

Aargau, Switzerland
I tried everything now as described and a bit beyond. So I assume it's either a driver issue or a bug in EECH. But as it seems to be working for the most of you, I will contact the displaylink support.

#3792749 - 06/06/13 11:28 AM Re: MFD Export with USB Monitor [Re: GreenMushroomEater]  

Aargau, Switzerland
I tried another approach, capturing the second monitor content using Open Broadcaster Software (OBS) and displaying the live capture preview on the DisplayLink, and I got the same result. On a "real" monitor the live preview was shown, but not on the DisplayLink. So it seems to be definitely an issue with the DisplayLink adapter.

In the DL knowledge base I found another hint, it's a bit outdated though KB168: Running some video or game applic... hang, or crash

Basically it says:
Quote:
On Vista WDDM, some graphics-intensive applications use the GDI or OpenGL interfaces. On DisplayLink attached screens, such applications can display in a window but not full screen

and
Quote:
Run OpenGL applications in a window on your DisplayLink Display, rather than in full screen mode, should avoid this problem.

So what I tried, was to run EECH in windowed mode (MFD export disabled), and I could watch the Capturing Preview in the DisplayLink adapter.

It seems, that if EECH would support window mode with MFD export (like in DCS), it might work with my DisplayLink setup. Or DisplayLink just fix this problem.

To any of you, who have the DisplayLink adapter running with MFD, could you let me know you OS details? Windows Version, 32/64bit, graphics cards. Perhaps we see a pattern, why its working for you and not for me.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.