Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3779757 - 05/09/13 01:41 PM is the full version out?  
Agathosdaimon Offline
Agathosdaimon  Offline

Melbourne, Australia
Hi - i recall buying DCSCombined Arms and there was some indications that the version i bought on the dcs site was a pre-purchase, though i could still download and run a semi-functioning module in dcs world which did seem much fun at all - is this game now out - is it more of a game on its own now? or still just a garnish for dcs world multiplayer? the dcs site seems to indicate that it has a single player aspect as well?
thanks

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3779803 - 05/09/13 03:07 PM Re: is the full version out? [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
Wrecking Crew Offline
Smooth Operator
Wrecking Crew  Offline
Smooth Operator
Hotshot

Colorado
Hi, Ag..

I recommend CA -- I am having a lot of fun with it in multiplayer. I'd say to get the latest release - along with DCS World, of course. Since you have already purchased it - go ahead and try it in its latest form.

My understanding is that it is released now (DCSW v124).

I am running a series of multiplayer missions that include CA - look for the Hollo Pointe server.

There is one feature that is touted on the DCS Combined Arms website that is not fully implemented - that is the ability for any Ground Commander in multiplayer to control AI aircraft. I will be delighted when this feature is in place.

I also expect that the upcoming EDGE for the Nevada map will bring a great environment into play.

WC

#3780624 - 05/11/13 02:15 AM Re: is the full version out? [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
Agathosdaimon Offline
Agathosdaimon  Offline

Melbourne, Australia
okay cool, well i went in to dcs world and update to 1.2.4 - combined arms is there but it really only seems to offer some single missions in a very editor looking state - ie i go to the single missions option and select the combined arms folder - the missions though seem to only have the player - me as being in an a-10 and i cant plann any waypoints for the ground units. also there is no combined arms instant action, training or campaigns yes? - if this is hte case it all still seems to be like it was in the pre-release playable version.

however the website does state that it can be played in single player though it doesnt seem very much like that with the installed module?

do i need to buy something else?

#3780742 - 05/11/13 02:33 PM Re: is the full version out? [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
Agathosdaimon Offline
Agathosdaimon  Offline

Melbourne, Australia
sorry, i just want to get an answer on this one see above
- how d i actually play combined arms in the single mission - it has me starting in an a-10 though i dont have teh a10 module

#3780760 - 05/11/13 03:36 PM Re: is the full version out? [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
Wrecking Crew Offline
Smooth Operator
Wrecking Crew  Offline
Smooth Operator
Hotshot

Colorado
I never do single-player, other than to design and test a multiplayer mission.

But you should be able to go to the DCS Forums - Missions and Campaigns and look in there for any mission -
http://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=165

Download a mission, open it up in the Mission Editor, and click on the Fly button to play it - you will be given a choice of the slots in the mission to join. If there are CA slots then you can get into one of those. Once you pick a slot you are stuck with it until you exit the mission.

But, the power of CA is in the "Combined" part, IMHO, where you interact with other clients in multiplayer. In multiplayer you can jump around different slots while the mission is running.

My multiplayer missions are only available on the Hollo Pointe server, or on Eno's Firehouse. I do not post then for download.

WC

#3780762 - 05/11/13 03:41 PM Re: is the full version out? [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
Nate Offline
Nate  Offline

Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted By: Agathosdaimon
sorry, i just want to get an answer on this one see above
- how d i actually play combined arms in the single mission - it has me starting in an a-10 though i dont have teh a10 module

The CA single player missions have Slots for Game Commanders etc. upon starting - select that and you have complete control over your coalitions forces - you can direct the battle with your air and ground forces around the battle field, as well as entering the ground vehicles to fight.

Nate

#3781539 - 05/13/13 01:27 PM Re: is the full version out? [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
Wrecking Crew Offline
Smooth Operator
Wrecking Crew  Offline
Smooth Operator
Hotshot

Colorado
Nate,
Please let us know when Multiplayer Ground Commanders will be able to control AI a/c from the F-10 View? If you can't comment about a date/time frame, would you ask for a Friday update about it?

Thanks,
WC

#3782915 - 05/16/13 01:17 AM Re: is the full version out? [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
Raptor9 Offline
Rotorhead / GFC
Raptor9  Offline
Rotorhead / GFC

Central US
WC,

The current version of CA allows you to control AI aircraft when in Ground Commander mode. You can also adjust airspeed and altitude and ROE. Additionally, the update that was released yesterday fixed the crash that resulted from giving a target to an AI helo or aircraft. I will say however, if the AI flight consists of more than one aircraft, say two Ka-50's or two A-10C's, both aircraft will fire on the same target, so each target you hand over is double-tapped.

Another cool feature they added with 1.2.4 is a few more Axis commands. So you can set your rudder pedals for steering and throttle as the accelerator pedal for instance. Unfortunately, the update last night seemed to break that axis command. I had to keep pumping my throttle slider on my X-52 throttle to get the desired affect. Almost like me moving my axis forward was equivalent to tapping the W key briefly to start forward motion. I never got above a few MPH and I didn't feel like ruining my throttle's slider. And after I hopped out of the Humvee I was controlling, I gave it a waypoint to drive to, and instead he just drove in circles...so some bugs and features have been fixed/added, others have been created since the update.

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
#3783065 - 05/16/13 02:09 PM Re: is the full version out? [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
Wrecking Crew Offline
Smooth Operator
Wrecking Crew  Offline
Smooth Operator
Hotshot

Colorado
Thanks Raptor9 -
I am very much looking forward to these features.

I'd developed a new campaign where most of the missions have AI a/c for GCs to control. It looks like now all of that functionality is available - will be able to check it out after work in the Hollo Pointe mission called Streets Of Kutaisi.

FYI folks - here is a doc of the latest CS Ground Unit Key Commands. Note the Binos 'B' key is double mapped to Cruise Control so you are going to have to fix that.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwHk38uryutrMHNqU1d6azFQd0E/edit?usp=sharing

WC

#3783359 - 05/17/13 12:27 AM Re: is the full version out? [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
Raptor9 Offline
Rotorhead / GFC
Raptor9  Offline
Rotorhead / GFC

Central US
Despite some of the growing pains that are still there, Combined Arms I think is way under-utilized. I've tried taking an airfield that unfortunately had BMP's hidden in between the hardened aircraft shelters. After several of my Abrams got trashed by ATGM's, I called in an abbreviated 9-line to some friends flying A-10C's and they made those BMP's a mere speed bump in my armor's way.

attack

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
#3783400 - 05/17/13 02:32 AM Re: is the full version out? [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
Wrecking Crew Offline
Smooth Operator
Wrecking Crew  Offline
Smooth Operator
Hotshot

Colorado
Yep - a work in progress, indeed.

The ability to control AI a/c is NOT in multiplayer - the elements are there but when you try to set a path nothing happens.

This does work in SP, and in the Mission Editor - > Fly mode.

WC

tactical

#3783423 - 05/17/13 04:10 AM Re: is the full version out? [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
Raptor9 Offline
Rotorhead / GFC
Raptor9  Offline
Rotorhead / GFC

Central US
The interface is a little clunky, normally I have to right click after I set the waypoint to get the new flight path to appear...just try beating the side of your computer a few times. If all else fails, yell really loudly.

In all seriousness though, I've been able to get it working in multiplayer, but that was while I was the host, never tried it as a client on someone else's server.

#3783610 - 05/17/13 04:24 PM Re: is the full version out? [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
Wrecking Crew Offline
Smooth Operator
Wrecking Crew  Offline
Smooth Operator
Hotshot

Colorado
Hey Raptor,
Yes, I'll give you that - the Host can control the AI a/c. Pretty limited in scope. Note too that on my server, the host, the Render3D setting is set to False, so No Joy on being able to use it.

WC

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.