Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3771693 - 04/22/13 09:29 PM Just got Gunship! (Infrogames) today.  
ColJamesD Offline
ColJamesD  Offline

USA
I just got this today from a very nice SimHQ member.

I got the disc and the quick reference card.

I installed it and I started playing it already.

It seems a lot simpler to play than EECH.

Are there any patches I should download and install before playing it?

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3771715 - 04/22/13 10:08 PM Re: Just got Gunship! (Infrogames) today. [Re: ColJamesD]  
Agathosdaimon Offline
Agathosdaimon  Offline

Melbourne, Australia
yes absolutely - i think you can get links to all the necessary stuff via Flyboys site and also i Simwarriors Helipad site. The original game had some screwy flight models but the patch changed this and also allowed you to easily change the flight model to suit the user. There are some good custom flight models - FMs out there on the aforementioned sites and also a bunch of model mods and fixes floating around on various websites -

Another improvement that can be found on the web is a change to the incoming missile audible alarm - as the game doesnt have an such alarm except your CPG saying break break or something the fix has the cpg say this a little earlier then last minute which made maneuvering to evade the missile and release chaff harder as you need to first work out the direction from which it is coming. There is also a fix which makes the missile visible from a bit further away than the default. I have found that once you can see where the missile is coming from you can easily learn to just shift at the last minute or get to cover. - The AI is pretty savage with SAMs in Gunship - to this day, i havent ever gotten past the first mission in any campaign due to teh challenges involved! But its a grat game and still the best looking Helicopter sim out there still.

but ifyou are a pro with EECH then this may be easier and the whole setup with MFDs and such is simpler and although not exactly true to life, they have combined some features in clever ways i have found

#3771962 - 04/23/13 11:20 AM Re: Just got Gunship! (Infrogames) today. [Re: ColJamesD]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
I bought this a few years ago to play again (I bought it when it first came out also).

Didn't it used to crash if you brought up the map on modern O/S's?

I seem to remember this happening and at one stage I had gotten around it but I can't think for the life of me what it was now duh

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#3772246 - 04/23/13 10:07 PM Re: Just got Gunship! (Infrogames) today. [Re: ColJamesD]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
I thought it might have been a resolution issue on the map crashes, but I can't remember for sure. I think it would work until I moved the mouse beyond some max resolution that the UI used or something, and then it would crash.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#3772425 - 04/24/13 09:26 AM Re: Just got Gunship! (Infrogames) today. [Re: ColJamesD]  
Agathosdaimon Offline
Agathosdaimon  Offline

Melbourne, Australia
it wont crash on a map screen on modern os's - i run it fine on win 7, but it does have a problem with the functionality on the map- basically for a portion of the map you can place waypoints but cant delete them or change them in the affect part of the map. this problem was on xp systems also. Apart from this the game is fine. Its not too much a problem as you can just go round the waypoints from the in flight command menus.

#3772957 - 04/25/13 09:25 AM Re: Just got Gunship! (Infrogames) today. [Re: ColJamesD]  
ColJamesD Offline
ColJamesD  Offline

USA
This is a terrible game compared to EECH.

I get to Waypoint 1 and then I can't go to the other Waypoint.

Not like EECH you just press on W and it goes to the next waypoint on your heading and you fly toward it.

Telling the wingman to go to the next WP on this game using the TAB com is pretty useless too.

Also, trying to change the WP on the map is a mess.

So I am passed WP 1 and I am trying to get to WP 2 and I press W for autopilot, it goes back toward WP 1.

I even went into the Tab Comm and told the wingman to go to WP 2 and hoping my gunship will go that way too if I use the autopilot but nooooo!

The control a mess too even with the joystick.

If I am at COCKPIT view, I can speed up or gain or lose altitude but if I am at Gunner view, I have no control of the helicopter.

So if my weapons are out of constraint in gunner view, I can't move the chopper left or right to get the weapons lined up toward the target.

Also half of the time I don't know what I am firing at.

There is no screen option like in EECH that shows the target on the ground or in the air that you are locked on to.

There are also many other things wrong with this game and they are mostly a matter of poor control or lack of control for the user.

What's in the box? C'mon, what's in the boooox?
#3772967 - 04/25/13 10:12 AM Re: Just got Gunship! (Infrogames) today. [Re: ColJamesD]  

LOL biggrin KO

#3773095 - 04/25/13 03:09 PM Re: Just got Gunship! (Infrogames) today. [Re: ColJamesD]  
damson Offline
damson  Offline

Hiding in the bushes
Originally Posted By: ColJamesD
This is a terrible game compared to EECH.

I get to Waypoint 1 and then I can't go to the other Waypoint.

Not like EECH you just press on W and it goes to the next waypoint on your heading and you fly toward it.

Telling the wingman to go to the next WP on this game using the TAB com is pretty useless too.

Also, trying to change the WP on the map is a mess.

So I am passed WP 1 and I am trying to get to WP 2 and I press W for autopilot, it goes back toward WP 1.

I even went into the Tab Comm and told the wingman to go to WP 2 and hoping my gunship will go that way too if I use the autopilot but nooooo!

The control a mess too even with the joystick.

If I am at COCKPIT view, I can speed up or gain or lose altitude but if I am at Gunner view, I have no control of the helicopter.

So if my weapons are out of constraint in gunner view, I can't move the chopper left or right to get the weapons lined up toward the target.

Also half of the time I don't know what I am firing at.

There is no screen option like in EECH that shows the target on the ground or in the air that you are locked on to.

There are also many other things wrong with this game and they are mostly a matter of poor control or lack of control for the user.

Read the manual.
You certainly can select next waypoint but it's not so obvious - you have to select "Go to next waypoint" through radio menu IIRC (this makes your Waypoint 1 disappear and W#2 becomes #1 and so on). Also you can give your pilot commands while sitting as CP/G - fly slow/medium/fast go up/down/left/right turn left/right face your direction.
I'm not sure if my memories are 100% correct - last time I played Gunship! it was probably 8 years ago wink

#3773244 - 04/25/13 07:53 PM Re: Just got Gunship! (Infrogames) today. [Re: ColJamesD]  
ColJamesD Offline
ColJamesD  Offline

USA
Didn't come with a manual.

Just the quick reference keys card.

#3773309 - 04/25/13 10:16 PM Re: Just got Gunship! (Infrogames) today. [Re: ColJamesD]  
samovar6 Offline
samovar6  Offline

Canaduh
In the patched gunship.exe, Shift+W will delete the current waypoint if you're in the Pilot's or the CP/G's seat. Shift+W doesn't work while you're in the Map Screen.

As the Gunner, there are several commands that you can send to the pilot:
G Turn helo to where gunner is looking
[ Turn left
] Turn right
H Hover
P Pop up
O Head for cover
; Slide helo left
' Slide helo right
= Up 10 ft.
- Down 10 ft.
8 Slow Speed
9 Medium speed
0 Max speed
W Head to current waypoint.
Shift+W Delete current waypoint. (Only works in patched .exe)

#3773433 - 04/26/13 05:09 AM Re: Just got Gunship! (Infrogames) today. [Re: ColJamesD]  
damson Offline
damson  Offline

Hiding in the bushes
Originally Posted By: ColJamesD
Didn't come with a manual.

Just the quick reference keys card.

You should have the key commands listed in quick reference card.

Here is link for the manual.

Good hunting.

#3773562 - 04/26/13 02:24 PM Re: Just got Gunship! (Infrogames) today. [Re: ColJamesD]  
JonnyD Offline
JonnyD  Offline

The Fens, UK
Mine came with a manual - it was on the disc in pdf form, like many others were at the time and pretty much all are now.

I printed it all out - still have it on my bookshelf next to my flying rig.

When it was released it was my fave helisim and gave me a lot of fun and exciting hours, especially in the WW3 campaign, though I never survived for long in that.

I never had an issue with control (MS Sidewinder Precision Pro)and the graphics were just fantastic - especially when looking through the gunner's scope for a mobile Soviet SAM you know is hiding in the forest, only to suddenly see it come into a clearing, whack on the brakes and throw a big nasty exploding pole at you.

This was priceless.

The AA missions were fun, too, against the Havocs.

I say it as I see it
#3773662 - 04/26/13 05:03 PM Re: Just got Gunship! (Infrogames) today. [Re: ColJamesD]  
ColJamesD Offline
ColJamesD  Offline

USA
Thank you everyone for your help and advice.

I think I got the W figure out.

I tell the wingman to go to WP 2 for example and then activate it and then put MY gunship on Autopilot and it starts heading that way.

But even at Fast speed (up to 90 mph/kmph), it moves slow.

The WP activation/goto is not perfect, sometime it doesn't go where I tell it to go.

#3773971 - 04/27/13 03:31 AM Re: Just got Gunship! (Infrogames) today. [Re: ColJamesD]  
Agathosdaimon Offline
Agathosdaimon  Offline

Melbourne, Australia
i like Gunship! but i dont think it is one in which a whole mission canbe played from the Gunners seat. I use that position myself only really when i have stopped and am scanning the horizon and not too exposed. its also not ideal from trying to evade missiles

#3775269 - 04/30/13 08:25 AM Re: Just got Gunship! (Infrogames) today. [Re: ColJamesD]  
ColJamesD Offline
ColJamesD  Offline

USA
I've been playing for a week now and I am getting better at changing the waypoints and adding new ones.

But I have not been able to complete a mission either in campaign or instant action.

#3775279 - 04/30/13 10:05 AM Re: Just got Gunship! (Infrogames) today. [Re: ColJamesD]  
Agathosdaimon Offline
Agathosdaimon  Offline

Melbourne, Australia
yeah they are damned hard!. I did play a mission just on invulnerable on a campaign to check why it kept ending in a failure - its one for the armored corp i believe and although the mission is to go and find the enemy artillery and destroy them, it seems if one doesnt hold back to stave of and protect the retreating us ground units, the mission will be a fail, if their pursuers cna be taken out i believe one then has a lot more time free to go and find the artillery which is just to the east/south east in various spots

#3775405 - 04/30/13 02:52 PM Re: Just got Gunship! (Infrogames) today. [Re: ColJamesD]  
ColJamesD Offline
ColJamesD  Offline

USA
Another thing I noticed is the targeting cursor is green and sometime when I fire, it says I hit friendly units.

Then sometimes it just says target destroyed.

So I don't know if I am firing on friendly units or enemy units or not.

Are enemies units supposed to show up in RED on the radar screen and shouldn't the targeting cursor on the HUD be RED too?

#3775409 - 04/30/13 02:56 PM Re: Just got Gunship! (Infrogames) today. [Re: ColJamesD]  
JonnyD Offline
JonnyD  Offline

The Fens, UK
Don't remember that being the case.

It is quite a few years since I last saw any action in the game, though - but I think you have to ID the target yourself. I certainly don't remember the cursor turning red.

Edit: Just looking in the manual and it says in game mode you are only shown enemy units, but in realistic mode you are shown everything, provided your helicopter has a radar system mounted.

Quote:
The FCR shows all vehicles - friendly as well as enemy - and does not lose contact when a vehicle is destroyed. This means that you should take care in engaging a target on radar information alone..."

think that answers your question wink

I'd really recommend having a flick through the manual - it isn't that long or detailed, but has great FCR and TADS targeting info as well as tactics etc towards the back. Is good for quick reference, too.

Last edited by JonnyD; 04/30/13 03:09 PM.

I say it as I see it
#3775597 - 04/30/13 08:06 PM Re: Just got Gunship! (Infrogames) today. [Re: ColJamesD]  
ColJamesD Offline
ColJamesD  Offline

USA
I just successfully completed Mission 1 of the Campaign playing as the U.S. 1st Air Calvary.

It took me 3 replays to complete it.

I chose Tank Buster configuration and loaded my Apache with 16 Hellfires.

But 16 Hellfires doesn't go too far so I had to hit the non-tanks targets with the gun.

I did try using the rockets but it's hard to aim and hit the targets.

#3775792 - 05/01/13 01:52 AM Re: Just got Gunship! (Infrogames) today. [Re: ColJamesD]  
Agathosdaimon Offline
Agathosdaimon  Offline

Melbourne, Australia
best to spot fire with the rockets, the machine gun on the apache can take care of alot of vehicles and can even take out tanks i find if you fire alot at the back of them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.