Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3770316 - 04/19/13 04:07 PM AP:43 a few questions  
Subzero Offline
Subzero  Offline

Hi,

Ive reacntly started playing achtung panzer and enjoying it for the most part except a few things, so I wanted to ask here:

1) How is artillery used? both out of map and from ingame artillery units? I request fire on a spot and I see it dropping some distance away from and sometimes far away from it.

2) Any way to speed up the slow camera that I have to drag around the map? its the main thing irritating me about AP, like it takes sometime to 'accelerate' and once it gets going it doesnt stop instantly.

3) Why does AI always try to take empty sectors and force me to chase it around? shouldnt it be either defending fixed positions or attacking me? arent these empty regions with 'flags' on them just empty areas for the russians?

Hope that wasnt too long.. thanks. smile

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3770591 - 04/20/13 02:47 AM Re: AP:43 a few questions [Re: Subzero]  
Subzero Offline
Subzero  Offline

Any one here??

#3770631 - 04/20/13 06:14 AM Re: AP:43 a few questions [Re: Subzero]  
FlashBurn Offline
FlashBurn  Offline

Washington State, USA
Arty.........select arty spotter, 3 rings will apear in setup phase for TRP's (MUCH faster to call) or during tactical play. IF they have LOS will be MUCH faste to call and more on target. With NO los arty will be pretty hit or miss.

White flag areas are unnoccupied. AI will scout out and try and grab. The ai will not just sit there waitng to be killed. It can be sneaky #%&*$# and mess you up bad if you not careful....even if you are. THE ai is not trying to have you chase it around LOL. It is attempting to capture ground. SOmetimes just to have, other times it will capture and hold it in force. Often it is just scouting units doing that. Its a tactical game....#1 objective is to capture and hold ground, not destory every squad. While you can do that.....sooner or later you will get yourself into a pickel. Like use all your fuel/ammo up tiring out your guys.... THen you get slapped upside the head with an Armored counter attack by fully fueled, rested, 100 ammo level guys.

As to 2? NO idea. Never had issues in K43 or APOS/GTOS.

#3770639 - 04/20/13 07:12 AM Re: AP:43 a few questions [Re: Subzero]  
Dane49 Offline
Dane49  Offline

Riverview,Florida
Are you playing the old APK43?

If so then the call for arty is different(Flashburn described how to call it in APOS in APk43 you just selected the arty button and then put a point or linear spread any where on the map-no moving TRPs around like APOS).

APK43 is the old and initial version of the game-try the new demo- NEW Demo (October, 30 2012)- Graviteam Home Page

APK43 only allowed 1 platoon per km grid square during set up, so most battles ended up being mostly chase battles and the camera was horrible in APK43.

Try the new demo or buy APOS/GTOS it's a very much improved version over APK43 in every way.Better graphics,easier play and very decent camera control.I never played the demo so don't know if you can change things in the options but if so you can-adjust your camera speed in options and choose which or whatever hot keys you like in controls for better camera management.I usually just use the arrow keys for camera movement and the mouse wheel for zoom and changed the hot key to L for ground level view.

I think once you've tried APOS/GTOS you'll never play APK43 ever again unless your nostalgic or just like to torture yourself.

#3770642 - 04/20/13 07:24 AM Re: AP:43 a few questions [Re: Subzero]  
FlashBurn Offline
FlashBurn  Offline

Washington State, USA
You sir are correct............

And I really liked K43. YA APOS is WAY better. But so many late nights setting up ambushes for halftracks. biggrin

#3770676 - 04/20/13 10:48 AM Re: AP:43 a few questions [Re: Dane49]  
Subzero Offline
Subzero  Offline

Originally Posted By: Dane49
Are you playing the old APK43?

If so then the call for arty is different(Flashburn described how to call it in APOS in APk43 you just selected the arty button and then put a point or linear spread any where on the map-no moving TRPs around like APOS).

APK43 is the old and initial version of the game-try the new demo- NEW Demo (October, 30 2012)- Graviteam Home Page

APK43 only allowed 1 platoon per km grid square during set up, so most battles ended up being mostly chase battles and the camera was horrible in APK43.

Try the new demo or buy APOS/GTOS it's a very much improved version over APK43 in every way.Better graphics,easier play and very decent camera control.I never played the demo so don't know if you can change things in the options but if so you can-adjust your camera speed in options and choose which or whatever hot keys you like in controls for better camera management.I usually just use the arrow keys for camera movement and the mouse wheel for zoom and changed the hot key to L for ground level view.

I think once you've tried APOS/GTOS you'll never play APK43 ever again unless your nostalgic or just like to torture yourself.

Thanks alot. I only played APK43 so I can play some if its scenarios then move to APOS. this game is great but doesnt have that many battles, and usually replaying a battle twice isnt worth it... but I might aswell stop torturing myself, lol

#3770678 - 04/20/13 11:25 AM Re: AP:43 a few questions [Re: Subzero]  
Dane49 Offline
Dane49  Offline

Riverview,Florida
If you like APK43 then you will absolutely love APOS/GTOS the game has improved immensely over the last year and though APK43 and APOS/GTOS are similar in some respects they are completely different in most.

Everything in APK43 has been improved in APOS/GTOS.I hardly recognize the two games as once being the same anymore.

As far as graphics go for this type of game there really isn't an equal to it on the market.
Combat Mission and APOS/GTOS share some similarities but I still think APOS/GTOS is the better game,especially if you think graphic immersion is important in a 3D environment.

#3770778 - 04/20/13 05:24 PM Re: AP:43 a few questions [Re: Subzero]  
Subzero Offline
Subzero  Offline

Are there any mods/improvements for APOS? I found a few for APK43 after some long searching but dont have the effort to do it all again for Operation Star.

Last edited by Subzero; 04/20/13 05:26 PM.
#3770790 - 04/20/13 05:59 PM Re: AP:43 a few questions [Re: Subzero]  
Dane49 Offline
Dane49  Offline

Riverview,Florida
There were a few mods for the game but they no longer work with the new updates since the authors of those mods didn't update them for the new patches.

Night-Postman is working on a uniform mod for the new patch but I don't know when it will be released.He is about the only one who updates his mods.

This game is difficult to mod so you don't see many mods for it and upgrading and new patches usaully are posted every 4-5 months which makes for a short mod life unless the authors are willing to upgrade their mods.

Most of the previous mods have been incorporated into the new patches and upgrades ,so if your playing the game with the latest patch you should have most mods already designed in the game now.

#3772414 - 04/24/13 08:08 AM Re: AP:43 a few questions [Re: Subzero]  
Subzero Offline
Subzero  Offline

I just patched the game to march update but Im wondering about the optional polygons update, what does it do exactly? can I install it after march update or should I have done it before?

#3772417 - 04/24/13 08:22 AM Re: AP:43 a few questions [Re: Subzero]  
FlashBurn Offline
FlashBurn  Offline

Washington State, USA
Alot of the mods with APOS have a habbit of getting into game in patches. As far as mods go.....honestly little TO mod. At least nothing I have wanted to do as far as little things.

the optional update is improved maps.

#3772422 - 04/24/13 08:49 AM Re: AP:43 a few questions [Re: Subzero]  
Subzero Offline
Subzero  Offline

Great then, saves me the time to look for them and actually play.. or more like start learning how to play biggrin

and still there is always room for improvement, more authentic skins, better sounds, background sounds..etc

#3778258 - 05/06/13 05:05 PM Re: AP:43 a few questions [Re: Subzero]  
Subzero Offline
Subzero  Offline

A quick question, I found a old patch that updates of districts Taranovka and Rakitnoe, is this included in the march patch/polygons update or is it a separate thing?

#3778344 - 05/06/13 07:20 PM Re: AP:43 a few questions [Re: Subzero]  
TacError Offline
TacError  Offline

Vancouver
The latest polygon update is a cumulative update/fixing of the Taranovka and Rakitnoe maps.

#3778379 - 05/06/13 08:36 PM Re: AP:43 a few questions [Re: Subzero]  
FlashBurn Offline
FlashBurn  Offline

Washington State, USA
Seperate from new patches as it is a LARGE optional file.

#3778420 - 05/06/13 10:07 PM Re: AP:43 a few questions [Re: Subzero]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

I'm having hard times updating APOS.

I click on update but then asks for a file.
I admit blatantly I LOVE the game but had so little time I only managed to get to go through some tutorial...
No manual or anything else read, so please be patient smile

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#3778462 - 05/07/13 12:38 AM Re: AP:43 a few questions [Re: komemiute]  
FlashBurn Offline
FlashBurn  Offline

Washington State, USA
I gave my 17 year old clone the game. He got put off by tutorial mode. As he put it, to much info was flying at him time too fast. THat and he did not know that you could rotate camera by pushing the skroll wheel button on mouse. Was using the z/c keys to do same as skroll wheel. Which means he was paying attention to the tutorial mode...lol. As it does not really make that BLANTENTLY clear. Best way to figure out keys with this game is go to key settings and make some mental notes on stuff you think is importnant. BUT nearly all functions of game can be figured out by the roll over of the interface keys. It is more complex than more game like simular things, but NO way around it really unless dumbed down to main stream simular things. Which would NOT be good IMO. A better way needs to be found.....

DOH....are we talking K43 or APOS/GTOS here LOL.

Last edited by FlashBurn; 05/07/13 01:46 AM.
#3778558 - 05/07/13 07:24 AM Re: AP:43 a few questions [Re: Subzero]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

@FlashBurn: LOL, Please! DO NOT CHANGE THE GAME! I love to have a hard nut to crack! biggrin I'm totally loving it, quirks and problems alike.

I was, BTW, talking about APOS, and my real question is how do I update.
I press the update button and it opens a screen where it requires me to pick a file.

How do I proceed?

THANKS!

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#3778626 - 05/07/13 01:21 PM Re: AP:43 a few questions [Re: komemiute]  
rostov Offline
rostov  Offline

China
set "akll filies(*.*)

choose the update patch, press save and play.

#3778634 - 05/07/13 01:51 PM Re: AP:43 a few questions [Re: Subzero]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Thanks Rostov but I must admit I didn't understand that.

Where do I set that?

When I select update there's just a matrix of white cells with nothing to be chosen...

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.