Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3766317 - 04/11/13 06:58 PM Next project - UFC a la A-10C etc  
JonnyD Offline
JonnyD  Offline

The Fens, UK
I was originally thinking of building a UFC of the type found in the F-16, but that's getting a bit outdated now, so I thought I'd model it after the A-10C one instead, which will also do for other modern aircraft as and when they become available.

It will be slightly larger than a real life UFC for no other reason than I couldn't find the right sized box. I'm having to use two boxes - also unfortunately ABS plastic and not aluminium, which I would prefer.

The square switches will have a shroud that stands slightly proud of the facia - no big deal there - and the rocker switches will not look the same as the real ones, but they will have the same I-0-II function. I'm having difficulty sourcing momentary type rockers (except the 3 on my Saitek throttle housing... but there are only 3 and I won't mix) so may have to use locking or latching types and flick them back to the neutral 'off' state after pressing up or down. Again, no biggy, though I really would prefer momentary switches.

The controller unit will be the Leo Bodnar BU0836X (which is also driving my ex-G940 rudder pedals and a Saitek throttle 'quadrant').

Estimated total cost is £50 (77 USD).

I say it as I see it
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3766585 - 04/12/13 05:53 AM Re: Next project - UFC a la A-10C etc [Re: JonnyD]  
HitchHikingFlatlander Offline
HitchHikingFlatlander  Offline

California
Sounds cool, look forward to following your progress. I had an app on my iphone that did this using Touch Control and custom layout created by a member of the DCS forums. I really need to set that up and get it going again was really nice to have rather than trying to manipulate it with the mouse while flying.

I've got a bad feeling about this.....
#3766676 - 04/12/13 12:28 PM Re: Next project - UFC a la A-10C etc [Re: JonnyD]  
JonnyD Offline
JonnyD  Offline

The Fens, UK
Yes, I find myself having to lean forward and squint to read the letters on the UFC stenciling, so I thought a 'live' one would be nice. I binned my old control panel as it was a bit boring (just a collection of 32 ptm switches on a metal box) and hope this will be more fun to use as well as functional.

My biggest worry is messing up making the rectangular openings - the round ones should be simple enough.

I've made the template images for the two box 'sides':

Now need to do a line grid through the centre points of the switches to use for drilling the starter holes. The enter button will have to be square, too, as I can't find any oblong ones at all. sigh

I say it as I see it
#3767065 - 04/13/13 05:22 AM Re: Next project - UFC a la A-10C etc [Re: JonnyD]  

California
I wonder if heating up an exacto knife blade would make cutting the square holes out easy, you'd only need to sand down the build up from the melted plastic. In any case thats a tough cut to make, especially for that many holes.

PS - From your first post there has a to be supplier out there that makes MOM rockers for an affordable price although its not something you'll find at the local electronics shop.

#3767083 - 04/13/13 08:13 AM Re: Next project - UFC a la A-10C etc [Re: JonnyD]  
JonnyD Offline
JonnyD  Offline

The Fens, UK
A heated blade might be worth trying. I do a lot of plastic modelling, too, so I have many decent tools - it's just down to my very unsteady hand, really.

I am buying all my components from CPC supplies - they thought they had a momentary rocker for me, but it turned out to be one way only (off-on instead of on-off-on). If they don't have one, I don't know who will, although as you say, there must be some somewhere.

I found these at maplin:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/ip65-centre-off-rocker-switch-98092

but just look how big it is.

Also found these at CPC:

http://cpc.farnell.com/multicomp/mc33412-041-11/rocker-switch-spdt-centre-off/dp/SW02351

http://cpc.farnell.com/arcolectric-switches/c1520ataaa/std-rocker-non-iluum-spdt-centre/dp/SW01553

I might order one of each before deciding which one to go for.

I say it as I see it
#3767088 - 04/13/13 08:39 AM Re: Next project - UFC a la A-10C etc [Re: JonnyD]  

California
http://www.ledssuperbright.com/momentary-30amp-rocker-switch-p-237/gclid/CKvysZafx7YCFeeDQgoda3wA5A

Just doing some google searching so there out there. The trick is finding one from a source you can trust lol!

#3767090 - 04/13/13 08:45 AM Re: Next project - UFC a la A-10C etc [Re: JonnyD]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
For ages I've been contemplating making a UFC/ICP, then when I see the cost of the switches/buttons, I remember why I've always passed on this project. Maybe when I got more spare cash.

Good luck with this project and I'd be interested to know where you source your items from!

- Ice
#3767236 - 04/13/13 06:09 PM Re: Next project - UFC a la A-10C etc [Re: HitchHikingFlatlander]  
JonnyD Offline
JonnyD  Offline

The Fens, UK
Originally Posted By: HitchHikingFlatlander
http://www.ledssuperbright.com/momentary-30amp-rocker-switch-p-237/gclid/CKvysZafx7YCFeeDQgoda3wA5A

Just doing some google searching so there out there. The trick is finding one from a source you can trust lol!

Well I certainly won't trust cpc again!

I made my order today - ordered lots of extra switches just in case, and some similar ones that it's hard to see on a web page which is more suited to the job.

I ordered 16 square ptm switches and they took my money.

Now they tell me that they only have 9 and I'll have to wait a month ( jawdrop ) for the rest and I can't cancel because they already sent the others (on a Saturday evening - yeah, okay!). Tossers.

Not only that but in order to tell me this, they sent an e-mail with nothing in it but a link. Only a total buffoon would click on that, so I had to ask them what it was about.

Also, they say on their website that they don't charge postage (shipping) - no, but they instead have a 'handling' charge - and it's more expensive than any postage charge would be. Scumbags.

I might get some of the ones from Maplin - they are momentary rockers, but they look a bit on the chunky side. As it happens they are in the process of openening a store about half a mile from my house, so I will go and look one day. They cost 3 times as much as a non-momentary rocker, though.

I say it as I see it
#3767248 - 04/13/13 06:58 PM Re: Next project - UFC a la A-10C etc [Re: JonnyD]  
Bluedeath Offline
BS 62 "Pegasus" CAG
Bluedeath  Offline
BS 62 "Pegasus" CAG

The first one you posted are really big, size is the same of the old ibm ta power switches

"When you plan revenge best dig two graves" Confucius
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" Benjamin Franklin
#3767249 - 04/13/13 06:59 PM Re: Next project - UFC a la A-10C etc [Re: JonnyD]  
Ste86 Offline
Ste86  Offline

North West, UK
Check on ebay Johnny, Had a quick nosey last night after reading this thread there's some people selling momentary rockers for relatively low amounts, along the lines of:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10pcs-Momentary-on-off-on-SPDT-3P-ROCKER-SWITCH-11C-/390517381014?_trksid=p3284.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BIEW%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D21%26pmod%3D321013049567%26ps%3D54

I know these have I O II marking on them so dunno how easy it would be to modify them for what you want though.

Ste

Last edited by Ste86; 04/13/13 07:00 PM.

System: Core i7 920 @ 4Ghz, 6GB Patriot Viper RAM, MSI Geforce GTX 670, Samsung 23" Monitor, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs, Acer15" 4:3 screen for dials and MFDs, TrackIR 5 w/ Trackclip.
#3767279 - 04/13/13 08:26 PM Re: Next project - UFC a la A-10C etc [Re: JonnyD]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Ouch. I'd make life difficult for them if I were in your shoes. First would be to ring up the bank to dispute the charge.

I got a Maplins nearby but unfortunately don't hold the switches/buttons in stock. Which is a good thing as I'd probably have caved in. Please do post which ones you ended up getting, perhaps with a ruler or something in the pic for scale.

- Ice
#3768451 - 04/16/13 02:26 PM Re: Next project - UFC a la A-10C etc [Re: JonnyD]  
JonnyD Offline
JonnyD  Offline

The Fens, UK
Parts arrived today. Mixed bag - I really like some of the switches, but they are a bit on the small side.

These are the smaller square switches - if they were bigger, they would be perfect:

The printed image is the actual size on the panel on the draught design, to compare the size of the switch to:

Rather small frown but the action is great - nice 'click' when pressing.

This is the larger square with a shroud - it's still a bit on the small side:

...and here compared to the ideal size, but I don't think much to the action - needs pushing relatively hard and there is no confirmatory sensation of making the connection:

Next, the round switch - again very nice action, but also again very small:

and here on the plan:

Then there is the larger round switch. This is much more like the size it should be, though it is a little large it's not by too much:

and on the plan:

the two larger ones side by side:

so even those wouldn't look right on the same panel. I'm tempted to just use the small ones and use the extra real estate for larger font labelling.

These are the two rocker types - I ordered only one of these to see what it was like:

and I ordered four of these as I thought they looked better - and they are, for what I want. They are not momentary but they are much easier to 'flick' and set back central with a finger tip than the first one:

So I'll be using that one - on the right here:

I can easily replace it with a momentary one if and when I find a suitable type.

I'll make a plan with the actual sizes later in the week (very busy with DIY stuff round the house this week) and see how it looks.

I say it as I see it
#3768678 - 04/16/13 08:31 PM Re: Next project - UFC a la A-10C etc [Re: JonnyD]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Are these from CPC? How much did each one cost?

I would go for the bigger switches/buttons. I think the cockpit stuff is designed with a "gloved hand" in mind, so it is big and spaced so that it is easy for a pilot wearing gloves to use. Plus "bigger target" means less chance of hitting/pressing the wrong thing.

- Ice
#3771954 - 04/23/13 10:34 AM Re: Next project - UFC a la A-10C etc [Re: JonnyD]  
JonnyD Offline
JonnyD  Offline

The Fens, UK
This is the adjusted template for each box. The smaller size of the buttons will make it appear different to the actual UFC, but everything will be in the same place and work the same way:

I'm putting the smaller switches on the keypad side and the larger ones on the right side.

I'm also seriously considering putting the two large round ptm switches on the right box front to the left of the Page rocker - but I'll wait until the rest is finished before making a final decision on that.

Work has started on the boxes:

I have also cut all the holes for the keypad square switches. I simply used the template to mark the centre of each switch, then used an 8mm drill to make the initial hole (the switches are 8x8mm) and used a file to sqaure off the corners.

Unfortunately, while drilling the very last hole, the plastic cracked pretty badly, but I have used some plastic 'hot welding' liquid poly and a sheet of plasticard to repair and strengthen it and I'm pretty sure it will be okay.

I say it as I see it
#3772084 - 04/23/13 03:27 PM Re: Next project - UFC a la A-10C etc [Re: JonnyD]  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz
Originally Posted By: JonnyD
Originally Posted By: HitchHikingFlatlander

Well I certainly won't trust cpc again!

I made my order today - ordered lots of extra switches just in case, and some similar ones that it's hard to see on a web page which is more suited to the job.

I ordered 16 square ptm switches and they took my money.

Now they tell me that they only have 9 and I'll have to wait a month ( jawdrop ) for the rest and I can't cancel because they already sent the others (on a Saturday evening - yeah, okay!). Tossers.

Not only that but in order to tell me this, they sent an e-mail with nothing in it but a link. Only a total buffoon would click on that, so I had to ask them what it was about.

Also, they say on their website that they don't charge postage (shipping) - no, but they instead have a 'handling' charge - and it's more expensive than any postage charge would be. Scumbags.

I might get some of the ones from Maplin - they are momentary rockers, but they look a bit on the chunky side. As it happens they are in the process of openening a store about half a mile from my house, so I will go and look one day. They cost 3 times as much as a non-momentary rocker, though.

Not sure about the UK, but in the US, saying something is in stock/ready to ship---> Taking your money---->not actually shipping all promised/in-stock items= Fraud. I've found I have pretty good results dropping the 'f-word' with bottom tier customer service reps on the phone.

Me: "Sir/Ma'am, you are aware this constitutes fraud, yes?"

Them: "uh....let me get my manager for you"

The manager then usually quickly and quietly makes the problem go away.

In the year 2013, there is no excuse for an e-com to not have a decent real time inventory system in place, other than poor management.

My Rig:i5-3570k @ 4.2 GHZ W/ Corsair Hydro H110 Cooler / Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo / GTX 1070/ 16 Gigs DDR3 RAM / A Few SSDs, and a Bunch of HDDs / All held together by: Corsair C70 Case

Other Assets Deployed:
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog SN#22621/CH Throttle Quad/MFG Crosswind Pedals SN#0004 smile
TrackIR TIR 5 w/ TrackClip Pro biggrin
Simpit: Obutto R3VOLUTION

#3772178 - 04/23/13 07:30 PM Re: Next project - UFC a la A-10C etc [Re: JonnyD]  
JonnyD Offline
JonnyD  Offline

The Fens, UK
Agreed.

When the invoice arrived with the switches it said they had only taken the money for the items they supplied and they don't seem to have included the 'handling fee'.

Whether they do that when (if) they send the remainder remains to be seen.

As it is, my control panel is now on hold until the switches arrive. Shame I can't find them elsewhere.

I say it as I see it
#3772286 - 04/23/13 11:54 PM Re: Next project - UFC a la A-10C etc [Re: JonnyD]  

California
Looking great!

#3772593 - 04/24/13 05:52 PM Re: Next project - UFC a la A-10C etc [Re: JonnyD]  
JonnyD Offline
JonnyD  Offline

The Fens, UK
Thanks smile

Unfortunately I am stuck now, because the company is being funny.

They are saying that my order was fulfilled. At the time they said the remaining switches (which are now listed as 'in stock') are on back order. They didn't actually say if that means they will complete my original order or if I have to order again.

I just sent them an e-mail to ask. On my account at their website it claims I got all the switches! Cowboys... rolleyes

I just wish I could get them somewhere else.

I say it as I see it
#3772657 - 04/24/13 07:00 PM Re: Next project - UFC a la A-10C etc [Re: JonnyD]  
Vitesse Offline
Vitesse  Offline

Devon UK
I assume you tried RS and Farnell?

#3772711 - 04/24/13 08:13 PM Re: Next project - UFC a la A-10C etc [Re: JonnyD]  
JonnyD Offline
JonnyD  Offline

The Fens, UK
Yup. In fact I just came from Farnell.

After doing the necessary registration etc (why oh why do I need a user nickname? All were gone and I ended up using "sofedupwiththislark" which got accepted!

Anyway, I put the square switches in the basket and actually found some I-0-II momentary switches. Great - they were a bit more expensive (some were £13.50 each! eek ) but I ordered 5 cheaper ones. It all came to about £15 and when I went to pay I got a message saying the minimum order is £20.

So I ditched it.

I don't mind reasonable minimum order levels - like £5 or even maybe £10, depending on what I am buying - but £20 is tosh. Add to that, I don't know what postage or 'handling' fees they are going to slap on me and I really don't feel like proceeding with it. Especially when they make you go through all the registration process etc before you find out such things. I did look through the T&Cs etc as I was trying to see if there was a handling fee or not. I didn't find that out, either.

All the other dealers have either just 1 switch left or no stock at all.

RS do have the items I need, but their terms and charges are not acceptable to me (£4.94 charge for orders under £20 excl VAT and £4.95 postage, both excl. VAT). In addition, their prices are considerably more than other dealers for the same item. No returns unless they are in a good mood.

I'm now seriously considering simply redesigning the panels to fit the switches that I do have and who gives?!

I say it as I see it
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.