Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#3762359 - 04/04/13 07:23 AM Re: What is the state of Online play [Re: Uriah]  
ATAG_Snapper Offline
ATAG_Snapper  Offline

Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Uriah
I'm just starting to play with this, trying to take off. I managed to get the engine on a hurri running and even get down the runway but I am having a hard time taking off. I would like to have an out side view. Is there a server that gives outside view?

Hi Uriah,

I'm sure there are servers that have outside views enabled. I believe you can check the difficulty settings of each server by clicking on it in the server list.

If you have your Hurricane running and actually rolling down the runway you're about 95% there. Sounds like it's a small thing that's preventing you from lifting off. Offhand, I would guess that your prop is in Coarse Pitch, rather than in Fine Pitch as required to lift off.

EDIT: almost forgot: once you have your Hurri (or Spit) started, be sure to allow the oil temp to warm to 40C before rolling!

2-speed Hurries: Be sure to have your Prop Pitch control lever pushed fully forward (this applies to both the 2-speed and the Constant Speed Prop Rotol models). Your throttle should be at a full 100% as well as your radiator at 100% open (fully pushed forward, likewise). Mixture should be pulled fully back into Auto Rich and left there for your entire mission. Auto Lean (fully pushed forward) was only for extended missions such as convoy patrol. There are no intermediate mixture settings. Leave mixture pulled pack in Auto Rich and forget about it. Once aloft, keep your throttle at 100% (fully open), bring your wheels up, then pull the Prop Pitch Control lever fully back towards you into Coarse Pitch. Trim your aircraft to give a climb speed of 140 mph (Indicated Air Speed).

Constant Speed Prop Hurries: Not too much different....on take off your Prop Pitch should also be pushed fully forward into Fine Pitch, as well as the radiator lever pushed fully forward = fully open. Mixture likewise pulled fully back into Auto Rich and left there. Upon lift off, bring your wheels up, leave your throttle at 100%, but pull your Prop Pitch lever back towards you while watching the tachometer. When rpms come down to 2800, leave your Prop Pitch lever in that position. Keep your radiator fully open for the entire climb.

Keep an eye on your temps. If your oil temp starts to climb above 95 C, then pull back your Prop Pitch lever until your rpms on the tachometer drop to 2600. If your water temp climbs above 120 C, then back off your throttle towards you so your boost decreases from the max 6.25 lbs down to, say 1 lbs (or less) until the temps come back down. If you do this promptly, you'll find the temps respond favourably and quickly. Also, if both temps are climbing above the safety limits, then do the above steps AND level off a bit to increase your speed (= more air across the rad and oil cooler).

Another thing to check is the calibration of your throttle. This is not the fault of your setup, but sometimes Clod has been known to cause false readings that a quick recalibration in Windows will cure. This applies to joystick, rudder, and whatever other axis you have. Some have found that their aircraft continually yawed in one direction, no matter how much rudder trim they applied. Turned out their rudder was deflected a noticeable amount, even when the player's rudder pedals were physically neutral on the floor in front of him. A quick recalibration set everything right. If your throttle is not opening fully 100% in the game (even though you've got it wide open on your joystick/throttle body), you'll have trouble getting enough airspeed to lift off before you run out of airfield.

Hope the above helps!

Last edited by ATAG_Snapper; 04/04/13 07:33 AM.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit, Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 512.95, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3762362 - 04/04/13 07:30 AM Re: What is the state of Online play [Re: bisher]  
ATAG_Snapper Offline
ATAG_Snapper  Offline

Originally Posted By: bisher
Nicely said Snapper

After that I'm ready for some ATAG online

It'd be great to see you, Bish. All the aircraft fly like they're supposed to. The dogfights are epic. The contrails are breathtaking in a big high altitude furball. And yes, you certainly are permitted to taunt and insult other players with cryptic contrail writing! LOL

(Actually, you can see the contrails from the ground. Nothing like a few 109's putting on an airshow over Hawkinge at 23+ angels for the boys warming up their Spits and Hurries on the ground to watch biggrin )

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit, Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 512.95, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
#3762492 - 04/04/13 02:14 PM Re: What is the state of Online play [Re: Uriah]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
Yes I've spent some time circling over airfields hoping to draw up some action, the contrails are nice, like dropping a glove onto the airfield. Which is somethhing I'd like to be able to do anyways.

Or bottles with stick drawings inside of Snapper and his aircraft going down in flames. Or his dog with a funny hair do. Shock and awe is effective.

Seriously though Snapper I do hope I can commit the time to fly some sorties on ATAG.

#3762795 - 04/04/13 10:35 PM Re: What is the state of Online play [Re: bisher]  
SlipBall Offline
disillusioned
SlipBall  Offline
disillusioned

East Coast U.S.A.

Or bottles with stick drawings inside of Snapper and his aircraft going down in flames. Or his dog with a funny hair do. Shock and awe is effective.

That won't work on Snapper, try doing what I do to lure him in

Post composed with speech to text, it woks grape!

Clod
OEM screenshots & videos of Eu release..So I fly the original game because I am a off-liner and the game's AI was broken after the last good patch, game version 1.0.13954
GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
#3763040 - 04/05/13 01:30 PM Re: What is the state of Online play [Re: Uriah]  
ATAG_Snapper Offline
ATAG_Snapper  Offline

That would do it! rofl

#3763076 - 04/05/13 02:26 PM Re: What is the state of Online play [Re: Uriah]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
lol that's great SlipBall

Much better than stick drawings biggrin

#3763290 - 04/05/13 07:07 PM Re: What is the state of Online play [Re: bisher]  
SlipBall Offline
disillusioned
SlipBall  Offline
disillusioned

East Coast U.S.A.
lol that's great SlipBall

Much better than stick drawings biggrin

Yea he's kind of immune to your ideas...been done to death in his neighborhood hahaha

Clod
OEM screenshots & videos of Eu release..So I fly the original game because I am a off-liner and the game's AI was broken after the last good patch, game version 1.0.13954
GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
#3763292 - 04/05/13 07:09 PM Re: What is the state of Online play [Re: ATAG_Snapper]  
SlipBall Offline
disillusioned
SlipBall  Offline
disillusioned

East Coast U.S.A.
Originally Posted By: ATAG_Snapper
That would do it! rofl

That would be fun biggrin

Clod
#3763811 - 04/07/13 01:34 AM Re: What is the state of Online play [Re: Uriah]  
Winter Offline
Winter  Offline

Australia
I've just purchased a house so now have lots of room, got married and am about to setup my man cave and flight sim setup after about 1.5 years absence from flying anything.

I have been looking forward to getting back into Rise of Flight and DCS but after readings all the posts in this topic I'm now keen to give CLOD a 3rd chance. I had been flying full real in IL-2 FB since 2003 until CLODS release... So hopes are high that the latest patches + mods means I can get my WW2 fix.

III/JG11_Winter
#3764061 - 04/07/13 06:05 PM Re: What is the state of Online play [Re: Sokol1]  
RoFfan Offline
RoFfan  Offline

Thanks Sokol,

I didn't realize not following that procedure would count as "abandoned." Kind of silly if you ask me. Why not just have an "end sortie" option to make it obvious?

Originally Posted By: Sokol1
Scylla,

In this screen , on tab MAP, click on flag of your choince (British or German/Italy). Then notice that some airfield icon - a crosshair - turn to white.

Click in one of these airfield icon, they turn red.

Notice that screen change, list some players/AI and below a PLANE, click in the to see what plane(s) are available in that base, configure fuel (50% is sufficient for tipical "battle area), leadout, convergence, etc..., then hit OK.

Back to main screen click in CREATE (below plane picture) to spaw (start flying).

At end of fight/flight, back to first screen click in FLAG again an confirm "...leave this airplane"* and do this above procedure again to respaw.

* If you dont do this is considered plane abandon and score not correctly computed. This is consequence of "whishes" of COOP folks in UBIZOO during "Storm of War" denvelopment, that desire "pick any plane at any moment" after (COOP) mission starter... blush

This "FLY" button (bellow, right) in reality mean "return to fly" - for the case you momentarily leave game to adjust some config (video, keys...)

"Typical CloD". smile

Sokol1

#3764081 - 04/07/13 06:45 PM Re: What is the state of Online play [Re: Winter]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Originally Posted By: Winter
I've just purchased a house so now have lots of room, got married and am about to setup my man cave and flight sim setup after about 1.5 years absence from flying anything...s means I can get my WW2 fix.

did you get kids yet!? don't!! nothing worse for sim time than rugrats. used to be you could keep your sperm count low with a couple hours a day in front of a crt screen but lcd put paid to that fix. lcd musta been invented by a broody woman. unless you were that lucky guy who married a woman who is a usaf colonel, who totally understands you obsession with flight and can afford live in childcare.

h

[Linked Image]
#3764270 - 04/08/13 01:02 AM Re: What is the state of Online play [Re: HeinKill]  
WynnTTr Offline
WynnTTr  Offline

Originally Posted By: HeinKill
Originally Posted By: Winter
I've just purchased a house so now have lots of room, got married and am about to setup my man cave and flight sim setup after about 1.5 years absence from flying anything...s means I can get my WW2 fix.

did you get kids yet!? don't!! nothing worse for sim time than rugrats. used to be you could keep your sperm count low with a couple hours a day in front of a crt screen but lcd put paid to that fix. lcd musta been invented by a broody woman. unless you were that lucky guy who married a woman who is a usaf colonel, who totally understands you obsession with flight and can afford live in childcare.

h

Apparently it's a laptop that's actually sitting on your lap now that kills the sperm count. Something about the heat killing them off. I mean that's why we have ballsacks in the first place - our internal body heat is too warm for the production of live sperm.

I've got a baby girl and she severely hampers my sim time. When I have to look after her cos the missus has gone off somewhere I turn on some music DVD that she loves but after about 20 mins she gets bored so I have to fly with her on my lap - trackir, HOTAS cables and all. She loves mashing on the KB.

Point of the story - hold off with kids until you absolutely feel you're ready (which really means when your wife tells you she's ready) if you want to enjoy long sim sessions.

#3765457 - 04/10/13 02:52 AM Re: What is the state of Online play [Re: Uriah]  
Winter Offline
Winter  Offline

Australia
I hear your wise words of wisdom and trust me when I say that I will heed your advise. Our house is a baby free zone and all non-disruptive mitigation techniques are being deployed. :P

The baby side of things is taken care of!

Unfortunately "honey baaan" isn't interested in anything historical, military or my tales of exciting virtual battles and how I shredded x number of planes with amazing deflection shooting and flying prowess... no one is perfect... but she is super supportive :-).

Ah the bonus of her being a bit younger and from a generation where it was socially acceptable to ran home from high school to play computer games. I'm 30 and she's 24.

anyhow THIS weekend I'm jumping on for a fly!

#3769405 - 04/18/13 06:36 AM Re: What is the state of Online play [Re: Winter]  
Tiger27 Offline
Tiger27  Offline

Perth, Western Australia
Winter, long time no see, hows things mate.

III/JG11_Tiger
#3770650 - 04/20/13 07:51 AM Re: What is the state of Online play [Re: Sokol1]  
rootango Offline
rootango  Offline

everywhere

* If you dont do this is considered plane abandon and score not correctly computed.

This is consequence of "whishes" of COOP folks in UBIZOO during "Storm of War" denvelopment, that desire "pick any plane at any moment" after (COOP) mission starter... blush

those new features now included in CoD are useful, but they are just not setup very well and arnt very intuitive to follow or figure out. the difficult thing (programing wise) was to have them created and included in the game, it should be possible now to try and simplify the interface and have a better setup so new users understand it better and can make use of it.

This "FLY" button (bellow, right) in reality mean "return to fly" - for the case you momentarily leave game to adjust some config (video, keys...)

so all that problem needs is a relabeling and it would significantly reduce the confusion smile

"Typical CloD". smile

yeps, but also so much better then the last il2-1946 version of the game

Be advised, we got zips in the wire
#3771819 - 04/23/13 01:37 AM Re: What is the state of Online play [Re: Tiger27]  
Winter Offline
Winter  Offline

Australia
Originally Posted By: Tiger27
Winter, long time no see, hows things mate.
Tiger! Good, I should catch up with you when I do finally get on. I failed the last two weekends to get on but THIS weekend will be different.

:P

III/JG11_Winter
#3771935 - 04/23/13 08:56 AM Re: What is the state of Online play [Re: rootango]  
SlipBall Offline
disillusioned
SlipBall  Offline
disillusioned

East Coast U.S.A.
Originally Posted By: rootango

* If you dont do this is considered plane abandon and score not correctly computed.

This is consequence of "whishes" of COOP folks in UBIZOO during "Storm of War" denvelopment, that desire "pick any plane at any moment" after (COOP) mission starter... blush

those new features now included in CoD are useful, but they are just not setup very well and arnt very intuitive to follow or figure out. the difficult thing (programing wise) was to have them created and included in the game, it should be possible now to try and simplify the interface and have a better setup so new users understand it better and can make use of it.

[size:18pt]This "FLY" button (bellow, right) in reality mean "return to fly" - for the case you momentarily leave game to adjust some config (video, keys[/size]...)

so all that problem needs is a relabeling and it would significantly reduce the confusion smile

"Typical CloD". smile

yeps, but also so much better then the last il2-1946 version of the game

Has it not been that way since 2001?...maybe my memory is playing a trick

Clod
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.