Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#3760758 - 04/01/13 02:17 PM Re: Police officer sues garage owner because she tripped over a kerb [Re: WillWallace]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I read a statistic somewhere (still trying to find it) that over 70% of the world's lawyers practice law in the US. Hmmm..I wonder why?

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3760774 - 04/01/13 02:42 PM Re: Police officer sues garage owner because she tripped over a kerb [Re: WillWallace]  
Lieste Online sigh
Lieste  Online Sigh

Cos they aren't good enough to do it properly?

#3760865 - 04/01/13 05:29 PM Re: Police officer sues garage owner because she tripped over a kerb [Re: Lieste]  
Biggles07 Offline
Biggles07  Offline

Newcastle Upon Tyne, England.
There is a lot of horsesh*te (for the last 10 years) written about the fictitiously rampant, all consuming "UK compensation culture", yet scant evidence that one of this kind exists or even threatens to exist. What does exist is the erroneous perception of such, despite evidence to the contrary. This is due to the phenomena of media amplification, by which anomalous exceptions almost mystically become by dishonest implication an alleged 'norm', when they are in fact nothing of the sort. A good example of this is the recent thread positing the question 'are English emergency services really this bad?'; although the individual incident was appalling, the obvious answer to anyone with an ounce of common sense and ability to think critically would be an unequivocal no. I couldn't even be arsed to reply and explain (and prove) why. hahaha Back OT, as much as I'd love to join the "blame US Cultural Imperialism for every single thing bad in the world" movement, and in particular compensation, its a bit more complicated than that. Mainly political but we won't go there. smile

Papers like the Daily Wail are masters of the dark arts of Moral Panic; their raison d'etre is the creation of Folk Devils and Great Satans and in Mail World (and others) the sky is perpetually falling. The very obvious motive for this distortion is primarily monetary, it helps them to sell their toilet roll erm, 'newspapers' and also reinforces an Ideological worldview amongst the more gullible that IMO has little basis in reality. smile

In 2004 a study was commissioned which revealed that the UK was in fact the second stingiest country in Europe (second only to Denmark) in terms of Tort compensation payments, the UKs expenditure (at 0.6% of GDP) as lower than that of ten other industrialised nations, including Canada (0.8%), Australia (1.1%), Germany (1.3%)and the USA (1.9%): only Denmark spent less. Nearly 10 years on, there has been very little change. Though claims for motoring incidents and medical negligence have indeed increased, claims for accidents in general have actually fallen. Generally speaking, in the UK spurious claims are not successful (and rightly so).

http://shura.shu.ac.uk/691/1/fulltext.pdf

In 2010 for example, the then Leader of the Opposition David Cameron appointed Lord Young of Graffham, (who also served in the Thatcher administration), to review health and safety laws. He concluded that,

"behind the myth, the truth behind health and safety hysteria, the problem of the compensation culture prevalent in society today is one of perception rather than reality".

Here is Master of the Rolls Lord Dyson on the populist myth.

http://www.lawgazette.co.uk/news/compensation-culture-media-created-myth-dyson

I think the false perception of this is exacerbated by the deluge of sh*te on TV channels like ITV etc (which I don't actually watch barring when the footys on, or the odd history show exception) like "Have you hit your thumb with a hammer by accident" etc; to which I always immediately reply 'well you should have been more careful then you daft b*stard, now get over it and do one" . hahaha This is most peoples natural reaction, but joking aside this pejorative connotation can also serve to unfairly villify those who do have a genuine and rightful claim, (particularly those with severe disability's) due to the negligence and sometimes just plain old criminality of others. These fly by night TV compensation cowboys (most of whom will disappear like 'General Accident' and others in recent past) are only allowed to ply their trade because the market conditions for their existence have been created by Governments through legislation.

It is disgusting however when you see 'did your doctor do you harm?' adverts in hospitals (which no doubt is a big reason for the increase in claims); in some cases they may well have done, but it should be self evident that the vast majority of doctors and Nurses don't wish to harm anyone.....and this is definitely influenced by US-type advertising . Horrible, really. This is obviously not the fault of the average American however, most of whom I know are equally disgusted by this rubbish.

"I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals".

Sir Winston Churchill
#3760866 - 04/01/13 05:31 PM Re: Police officer sues garage owner because she tripped over a kerb [Re: WillWallace]  
Murphy Offline
Administrator
Murphy  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Northern Michigan, USA
In the U.S. - well, Michigan at least, you give up your right to a 'private law suit', anything occurring on duty, when you join the Police/Fire Department. The 'City' may sue someone, but not you, the individual.

Not sure about the rest of the country, but I would 'assume' it is the same.
Or it 'was' the same.

Cause I've never heard of that anywhere in this country, but I could be wrong.
Unless the person 'resigns' from the department, 'first'.
As you won't be employed by them, after the suit is filed.

"Murphy's Law"
#3760869 - 04/01/13 05:40 PM Re: Police officer sues garage owner because she tripped over a kerb [Re: WillWallace]  
CTR69 Offline
CTR69  Offline

Such cases don't help the equal rights movements in any way...

#3760905 - 04/01/13 06:25 PM Re: Police officer sues garage owner because she tripped over a kerb [Re: WillWallace]  
Murphy Offline
Administrator
Murphy  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Northern Michigan, USA
Quote:
"Such cases don't help the equal rights movements in any way..."

No, but it's part of the job.
They tell you beforehand, before you sign on the dotted line.
If we sign our rights away.....they're gone.
Something to think about, 'before' you sign.
Not afterwards.

Then again, if you really wish to pursue a lawsuit, you can.
But you will have violated your employment agreement, and be fired.
Seems a balance that is right....to me.
You can't have police running around suing people, it'd be a short career.
I can think back of at least one incident a year, where if I'd sued,
it could have made my Detroit pension look like a poverty level income.
You could retire within a year, set for life.

Oh, $2,100 a month, it is just about a poverty level income.....lol.

"Murphy's Law"
#3761383 - 04/02/13 03:49 PM Re: Police officer sues garage owner because she tripped over a kerb [Re: WillWallace]  
BD-123 Online content
Old Scroat
BD-123  Online Content
Old Scroat

Naunton Beauchamp Worcestershi...
I have just been listening to a topical news programme on the Beeb discussing this. The majority of phone-ins, tweets etc. were from police (serving and retired) personnel condeming this woman's actions and bring the force's reputation into disrepute.
Many have said that she was negligent in her actions as she did not use her issued torch.

#3761408 - 04/02/13 04:35 PM Re: Police officer sues garage owner because she tripped over a kerb [Re: WillWallace]  
Brun Offline
Brun  Offline

London Town
She probably hadn't had the training required to operate the torch.

#3761419 - 04/02/13 04:48 PM Re: Police officer sues garage owner because she tripped over a kerb [Re: Brun]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Brun
She probably hadn't had the training required to operate the torch.
Training is required? I mean, even cavemen from tens of thousands of years ago knew how to use one. wink

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3761430 - 04/02/13 05:00 PM Re: Police officer sues garage owner because she tripped over a kerb [Re: WillWallace]  
FlyingToaster Offline
FlyingToaster  Offline

Scotland
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-22000760

It seems the rest of the police force is pretty disgusted with this. I wonder if she will find herself landed with a crappy desk job 'out of consideration for her evidently severe injuries'. sigh

#3761432 - 04/02/13 05:01 PM Re: Police officer sues garage owner because she tripped over a kerb [Re: WillWallace]  
SkateZilla Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
SkateZilla  Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran

Virginia Beach, VA
I think she'll win, and every gas station will start painting curbs with neon paint..... "Warning: CURB HERE" signs with arrows.

HAF922, Corsair RM850, ASRock Fata1ity 990FX Pro,
Modified Corsair H100, AMD FX8350 @ 5.31GHz, 16GB G.SKILL@DDR2133,
2x R7970 Lightnings, +1 HD7950 @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Fata1ity Platinum Champ.,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns�G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050), Oculus Rift CV
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throt., Pro Pedals, TM Warthog & MFDs, Fanatec CSR Wheel/Shifter, Elite Pedals
Intensity Pro 10-Bit, TrackIR 4 Pro, WD Black 1.5TB, WD Black 640GB, Samsung 850 500GB, My Book 4TB
#3761436 - 04/02/13 05:03 PM Re: Police officer sues garage owner because she tripped over a kerb [Re: WillWallace]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
Ya cause if they painted 'kerb' I'd not know what the heck it is, trip over it and then sue

#3761447 - 04/02/13 05:11 PM Re: Police officer sues garage owner because she tripped over a kerb [Re: bisher]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: bisher
Ya cause if they painted 'kerb' I'd not know what the heck it is, trip over it and then sue
I thought you Canucks spelled everything like the Brits do? wink

#3761955 - 04/03/13 05:25 PM Re: Police officer sues garage owner because she tripped over a kerb [Re: WillWallace]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Sounds like the name of the guy in charge of painting them.
Curbs painted by Kerb!

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3761973 - 04/03/13 05:41 PM Re: Police officer sues garage owner because she tripped over a kerb [Re: WillWallace]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
It's all part of the Kerbals plan to take over the world ... one stone at a time

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.