Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3739880 - 02/22/13 03:05 PM BMS 4.32 Rudder Trim  
Dufus Offline
Dufus  Offline

Minnesota
Does anyone know how to add a rudder trim functionality to the controller assignments? Currently, I see pitch and roll trim keyboard assignments, but rudder trim is missing. The keyboard guide indicates it should be Shift-Alt-R/L Arrows. On the 'manual trim' panel in the cockpit I can select 'DISC' and mouse-click to add yaw, but this is difficult to do in a crosswind landing situation without pausing the sim to look down and click the panel wheel. The 'flight control' settings in-game are set for 'keyboard' control. There just isn't any command for it on the controller assignments page. I do not have rudder pedals or an axis I can devote to that. FreeFalcon 6 has it, but that game won't run on my system. I thought about maybe using the config files from that game?

I have looked in the Falcon 4 -> config file, but there is no command line for any trims; only the rudder, pitch, and roll commands. No trims at all there. So I don't know what to add or name the new command.

Thanks...

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3739977 - 02/22/13 05:49 PM Re: BMS 4.32 Rudder Trim [Re: Dufus]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
You will need to add the callback for trim, however, I would not suggest you do so.

When exactly do you need to trim the rudder anyway? You can crab crosswind landings if you have to.

- Ice
#3739989 - 02/22/13 06:16 PM Re: BMS 4.32 Rudder Trim [Re: Dufus]  
sorcer3r Offline
sorcer3r  Offline

Do not touch the rudder on crosswind landings. The FLCS will do it for you.

#3739990 - 02/22/13 06:18 PM Re: BMS 4.32 Rudder Trim [Re: - Ice]  
Dufus Offline
Dufus  Offline

Minnesota
Like I said, landing in a crosswind, especially when landing heavy with unused stores. Crabbing only works if you have rudder pedals or an analog axis free to use for the rudder. The keyboard rudder command is full or none. It's hard to time that to moment wheels touch down. Trimming out the nose drift, then centering trims on touchdown is much smoother. That's probably why every flying game since Fighter Ace has it; at least those that I know of.

Do you know if there will there be an update 5 released?

Thanks...

#3740007 - 02/22/13 06:48 PM Re: BMS 4.32 Rudder Trim [Re: Dufus]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

No, Update 4 is the last. Hopefully the next one is 4.33.

As for landing in a crosswind, I just dip one wing into the wind, and just straighten out before touchdown. Not the proper way to do it, maybe, but it works.

If you really want the callbacks, look for or add SimTrimYawLeft and SimTrimYawRight on your .key file and assign a key combo for these callbacks.

Hope that helps!

- Ice
#3740020 - 02/22/13 07:11 PM Re: BMS 4.32 Rudder Trim [Re: - Ice]  
sorcer3r Offline
sorcer3r  Offline

Originally Posted By: - Ice
No, Update 4 is the last. Hopefully the next one is 4.33.

AFAIK there will be an update 5 fixing turbulence bug.

#3740047 - 02/22/13 07:46 PM Re: BMS 4.32 Rudder Trim [Re: Dufus]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Isn't that a "hot fix"?

- Ice
#3740101 - 02/22/13 09:21 PM Re: BMS 4.32 Rudder Trim [Re: - Ice]  
Dufus Offline
Dufus  Offline

Minnesota
Thanks Ice. Now I see the problem too. The function for aileron trim is duplicated in the .key file. Shift R/L arrow and Shift-Alt R/L arrow are both assigned to 'AFAileronTrim'. My guess is one of those was supposed to be the rudder trim function. If I edited the .key file and changed one pair of the 'AFAileronTrim' right/left commands to something like 'AFRudderTrim' right & left, would that do it? In other words, would then a rudder trim R/L setting show up in the controllers assignment page instead of two pairs of aileron trim assignments?

#3740159 - 02/22/13 11:54 PM Re: BMS 4.32 Rudder Trim [Re: Dufus]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Dufus
Thanks Ice. Now I see the problem too. The function for aileron trim is duplicated in the .key file. Shift R/L arrow and Shift-Alt R/L arrow are both assigned to 'AFAileronTrim'. My guess is one of those was supposed to be the rudder trim function. If I edited the .key file and changed one pair of the 'AFAileronTrim' right/left commands to something like 'AFRudderTrim' right & left, would that do it? In other words, would then a rudder trim R/L setting show up in the controllers assignment page instead of two pairs of aileron trim assignments?

I would conclude from the post above that you are not familiar with the format of the callback lines used in the .key file, correct? For further info, check out this thread but for now, here's a quick primer.

Here is your callback line:
AFAileronTrimLeft -1 0 0XCB 4 0 0 1 "Trim-Aileron Left"

AFAileronTrimLeft - this is the actual callback. A "callback" is just a fancy name for "command."
-1 0 - 1st part (-1) is the 2D cockpit ID but is also a marker for which sound to play when the switch is activated. No idea on the second digit (0)
0XCB - keyboard command or keys used, in this case it is Cursor Left or Arrow Left on the arrow keys
4 - modifier, in this case it is ALT. Combined with the above, the key combo for this is ALT+Left Arrow
0 0 - same as the above two examples but for more complex key combos
1 - determines whether this line can be seen, seen and edited, or be hidden once in the 2D UI screen
"Trim-Aileron Left" - this is the description you see in the 2D UI screen. This can be changed to anything and will not compromise the callback or the key combination used for that callback

So you see, simply renaming AFAileronTrim to AFRudderTrim will not work. I am not sure why you have two lines for AFAileronTrim and unless you're sure what the second or subsequent lines do, I would rather leave it alone until you are more familiar with how the .key file works. Instead, add these two line at the bottom of your .key file:

SimTrimYawLeft -1 0 0XFFFFFFFF 0 0 0 1 - "Trim - Rudder Left"
SimTrimYawLeft -1 0 0XFFFFFFFF 0 0 0 1 - "Trim - Rudder Right"

What this does is adds two callbacks, and the 0XFFFFFFFF part simply means the callback will show as "No Key Assigned" in the 2D UI screen. If you read the thread I linked above and are comfortable with the concept, you can set your callback's key combination here, or if not, save your .key file under a new file name, open BMS, load up this new .key file, scroll down to the bottom, find the Trim - Rudder commands, and assign a key combination for them. Do remember that you will need to check first if the key combination you want is not assigned to any other callbacks. When done, save, and you're all set.

I hope this helps and you get the results you want!

- Ice
#3740263 - 02/23/13 02:07 AM Re: BMS 4.32 Rudder Trim [Re: - Ice]  
Dufus Offline
Dufus  Offline

Minnesota
Yes, thank you. That helps alot.

Why I suspect this is an error in the config is because the command is also duplicated on the front side of the application. If you go into the game > controllers, and look for the assignment of aileron trims you will see that there are two pairs of commands for this same thing. Meanwhile, the rudder trim assignment is conspicuously absent from the "TRIM" section. There is an additional way to trim rudders by using the "DISC" commands, which is the workaround I since found for rudder trims. So all that was for nothing, maybe.

For anyone else out there having the same concerns, the default assignment for rudder trimming is under "DISC" and is assigned to Shift Alt Delete/PgDn, for left/right. There are duplicate commands for centering all trims too; Shift Home and Shift Up Arrow. They both work.

Although the solution Ice presents here is also valid for those users who need to have the DISC rudder trim separated from the keyboard assignment. For example, if you wanted both an axis and a keyboard emulated function for rudder trims at the same time. Perhaps there are other reasons too, because that seems redundant to me. However, I will try your suggestion, Ice.

#3740297 - 02/23/13 03:41 AM Re: BMS 4.32 Rudder Trim [Re: Dufus]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

There are duplicates probably because Roll and Pitch trim can be adjusted via HOTAS trim hat or the Trim panel. However, rudder trim is only present on the Trim panel and not on the HOTAS.

I wouldn't read too deep into that "conspicuously absent" callback. The .key file setup in BMS is a headache as there is no standardization at all except for what you get with the default install.... which doesn't last long as people eventually change the default .key file to suit their needs. To give you an example, BMS installs two .key files, a BMS.key file and a keystrokes.key file. While these two files are the basis on which other profiles are built, the resulting .key file usually looks very different from the default. Another example is that a .key file for cockpit builders (or anyone that builds switches or panels) will look totally different from the default .key file. Most callbacks that cockpit builders use (called switch state callbacks) are not included in the default .key file, however, legacy callbacks from Falcon 4.0 or Allied Force or any other iteration are still kept in the default .key files. Weird. Lastly, if you download any profile for any type of HOTAS, that profile will very likely include its own .key file.

In short, a lot of "housekeeping" is needed with the .key files. A guy named Kolbe is doing wonders to start with, and you can find his work in your \Falcon BMS 4.32\User\Joystick\Generic\Kolbe directory.

Good luck!

- Ice
#3740499 - 02/23/13 05:24 PM Re: BMS 4.32 Rudder Trim [Re: - Ice]  
Dufus Offline
Dufus  Offline

Minnesota
I see. Also, I found that the mapping 2D UI "Disc" I said is a workaround doesn't work too good because it is 'all or none' and will not reset to center until first mouse-clicking the cockpit panel wheel concerned. If you don't, it stays trimmed to the maximum. That might be one of those HOTAS things you're talking about.

I also found that the file edit you suggested must be done in the currently loaded .key profile if there is a custom one saved. Otherwise nothing happens on the 2D UI mapping page. I guess that's pretty obvious, but I was baffled for a short time.

Thanks again...

#3740503 - 02/23/13 05:40 PM Re: BMS 4.32 Rudder Trim [Re: Dufus]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

I see. Also, I found that the mapping 2D UI "Disc" I said is a workaround doesn't work too good because it is 'all or none' and will not reset to center until first mouse-clicking the cockpit panel wheel concerned. If you don't, it stays trimmed to the maximum. That might be one of those HOTAS things you're talking about.

Er, not sure what you're talking about there. I've also never had to use the Trim panel knobs to trim, just the HOTAS Trim hat.

I also found that the file edit you suggested must be done in the currently loaded .key profile if there is a custom one saved. Otherwise nothing happens on the 2D UI mapping page. I guess that's pretty obvious, but I was baffled for a short time.

Hehehe... yep, no use editing one .key file if you're using a different .key file biggrin

- Ice
#3740573 - 02/23/13 08:34 PM Re: BMS 4.32 Rudder Trim [Re: - Ice]  
Dufus Offline
Dufus  Offline

Minnesota
I don't have HOTAS. I use a CH Fighterstick and an old Belkin N52 speedpad. That's why I need to find other ways to control some functions.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.