Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#3739769 - 02/22/13 06:31 AM Re: Arma 3 is Steam exclusive, Bohemia Interactive confirms [Re: kramer]  
HusKee Offline
HusKee  Offline

I kinda like this idea. It allows more people to connect while playing the game.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3739777 - 02/22/13 08:31 AM Re: Arma 3 is Steam exclusive, Bohemia Interactive confirms [Re: kramer]  
Ojokoltsa Offline
Ojokoltsa  Offline

Oh, that's interesting news.
Well, I will pass then.
I'm sure BI have their good reasons to make this game a Steam exclusive title. But I don't like Steam and won't buy another Steam-bound product. I wish them good luck with ArmA III though and hope that this time they get it right (meaning: release a product that needs less fixing :-)).

MoBo: MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) | CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K 4x3.40GHz | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 CL8 8GB Kit | GPU: MSI N560GTX Twin Frozr II/OC 1GB DDR5 | SND: AuzenTech X-Meridian 7.1 2G | PSU: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 550W | SSD: OCZ Agility 3 60GB – ArchLinux | HDD: WD Caviar Green 1000GB (Data) | DVD-RW: Pioneer DVR-218L | Sony Optiarc AD-7240S
#3739922 - 02/22/13 04:02 PM Re: Arma 3 is Steam exclusive, Bohemia Interactive confirms [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Originally Posted By: AggressorBLUE

If you don't care then why are you still posting?

Just to piss you off! rolleyes

Or the last time I checked I thought forums were suposed to be places where people shared oppinions. Guess I was wrong or maybe it's simply not in your oppinion what forums are for... rolleyes

#3739925 - 02/22/13 04:06 PM Re: Arma 3 is Steam exclusive, Bohemia Interactive confirms [Re: FlashBurn]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Originally Posted By: FlashBurn

LOL. Sorry........had to laugh. Ditto. But not because of steam. Unless it turns out to be super duper great....maybe later. But I have a feeling it will be "mainstreamed" future fake war and may be worth buyging given a year or 2 of modders to UNFOOK it and dump future crap. BI has been putting in little bits of future war gear for a bit now. Whats funny is often that gear gets CANCELED by military. But shows that its a GAME and NOT the "most realistic" military thing ever..... Gaea carrier war remake did not fare well from BIS. As to why go down this bloated path.....I am confussed? Sort takes a poo on long time fans.

And have they fixed AWEFUL armored vehicle simulation yet? Not going to touch the aircraft part. Although it looks like some progress was put forth on that one. Hitpoint crazy system does not hack it for the "most realistic" anything. Oh and the TAB kill thing............ugh!. Oh that crap is why I finially threw in the towel on ARMA 2. But some good memorys of Chernarus before thermal sight everything in MP. Lots of fun being a sneaky evil guy. biggrin

All I have to say is that I completly agree with you!

#3739933 - 02/22/13 04:21 PM Re: Arma 3 is Steam exclusive, Bohemia Interactive confirms [Re: ricnunes]  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz
Originally Posted By: ricnunes

If you don't care then why are you still posting?

Just to piss you off! rolleyes

Or the last time I checked I thought forums were suposed to be places where people shared oppinions. Guess I was wrong or maybe it's simply not in your oppinion what forums are for... rolleyes

What's an "oppinions?"

My Rig:i5-3570k @ 4.2 GHZ W/ Corsair Hydro H110 Cooler / Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo / GTX 1070/ 16 Gigs DDR3 RAM / A Few SSDs, and a Bunch of HDDs / All held together by: Corsair C70 Case

Other Assets Deployed:
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog SN#22621/CH Throttle Quad/MFG Crosswind Pedals SN#0004 smile
TrackIR TIR 5 w/ TrackClip Pro biggrin
Simpit: Obutto R3VOLUTION

#3739968 - 02/22/13 05:19 PM Re: Arma 3 is Steam exclusive, Bohemia Interactive confirms [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal

What's an "oppinions?"

It's a grammar error (the correct word is "opinions") just like many that you also made during your lifetime! And please don't patronize me, I speak and spell your language much better than you speak and spell mine!

#3739970 - 02/22/13 05:32 PM Re: Arma 3 is Steam exclusive, Bohemia Interactive confirms [Re: kramer]  
RAF92_Moser Offline
RAF92_Moser  Offline

NW Indiana, USA
I bought Arma 2:CO in 2010 on Steam, and I play it almost every day.

This is fantastic news to me because:

a) I don't even need to run Steam or an internet connection to launch Arma 2 (except for running it the first time).

b) BIS and Steam have always worked hard for their customer base and so the mixture of the two will probably yield great results.

c) From past experiences with Steam, modding Arma 2 has been effortless. I run 70+ mods on Arma 2 seamlessly.

d) Steam's file architecture is ridiculously efficient. I have never had to reinstall the game in the almost three years I've played it. Plus, if I did somehow break my game, a simple download will have my game back to normal with all patches applied.

e) Running a dedicated server with Steam is effortless as well. Like the client, I don't even need to run Steam to launch the server.

f) Migrating my entire Arma 2 folder to an SSD took about 2-3 clicks.

#3739973 - 02/22/13 05:37 PM Re: Arma 3 is Steam exclusive, Bohemia Interactive confirms [Re: kramer]  
citizen guod Offline
Lifer
citizen guod  Offline
Lifer

Wisdom is knowing what's enough
#3740023 - 02/22/13 07:17 PM Re: Arma 3 is Steam exclusive, Bohemia Interactive confirms [Re: kramer]  
TankerWade Offline
TankerWade  Offline

Portsmouth, NH
I honestly have no problem with this. The problem with Steam is simply when a game is distributed on Steam AND to regular retailers. Thats when you have different configs, different ways of starting the game, and most of all, different delivery times for patches.

If everyone is using Steam for the game, with no other option, there is no problem. Everyone will be running the same version. The same patch will be released for everyone at the same time.

The community will figure out how to add mods, and when they do there will be none of the "do it this way for your standard version and and this way for your Steam version."

If they integrate the Steam workshop (and I can only surmise that it is a motivating factor in the decision) then it will be even better. Mod makers can post their mods to the workshop and players can just check off the mod and it will load automatically. Skyrim is great for this - just add whatever you want, play game.

I would also like to think that it will be easier to admin servers - pick only the client-side mods that you want from the steam workshop to keep players from using cheating mods. If you join a server and don't have the mod, BOOM - Steam adds it at join up. No more six-updater whatever. Admittedly I have no idea if this functionality will be there, but I have no reason to believe it can't or won't be. It's not an opinion that Steam is the premiere gaming content delivery system, it's a fact. ARMA 3 can and should benefit from it.

Think of it this way - aren't you glad they are not trying to roll out their own delivery manager like BF3/Origin did?

Relax, it's just another icon in your system tray.

Everybody gets everything they want. I wanted a mission. And for my sins..they gave me one.
#3740084 - 02/22/13 09:00 PM Re: Arma 3 is Steam exclusive, Bohemia Interactive confirms [Re: kramer]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

The only problem I had with ArmaII was the fact that there were so many ways to get it. It seemed every time someone new wanted to play with us we had to figure out how they had the game installed in order to get them updated properly to play with us.

I dont mind one way or another if it is on steam or not but I am glad they choose to only have one install method. That will unify the community and help the game more than hurt it IMHO. Personally I like steam and think it brings a lot to the gaming community but I also understand why others do not like it.

I am glad they decided to use a unified install method and patching method though. That will really help IMHO.

#3740145 - 02/22/13 10:57 PM Re: Arma 3 is Steam exclusive, Bohemia Interactive confirms [Re: kramer]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA
I will pass as well. I would suspect that the next announcement will be that they are making the game "more accessible" to try and bring in new players. I'm thinking big ass Icons everywhere with "Shoot here" in big letters and power ups. No thanks

Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard
Windows 7 64 bit Home edition
Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
16 gig 1866mhz Corsair Vengence Pro memory
EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked 4gb Video Card
Intel 510 series 120gb SSD (boot drive)
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"

#3740193 - 02/23/13 12:49 AM Re: Arma 3 is Steam exclusive, Bohemia Interactive confirms [Re: kramer]  
KHMatt Offline
KHMatt  Offline

Perth.W.A.
Been with this game since Operation Flashpoint or as it was going to be called Operation Status Quo . Please B.I dont ruin it like codemasters did with O.F. Keep it the hard-core simulation we all love im sticking with Arma-2 for a while me thinks
bi games ive bought
Operation flashpoint
Arma
ARMA Queens gambit
Arma 2 Operation arrowhead
arma 2 baf
arma 2 pmc
TOH
Dont want another COD CLONE.

#3740266 - 02/23/13 02:12 AM Re: Arma 3 is Steam exclusive, Bohemia Interactive confirms [Re: kramer]  
Evil Flower Offline
Evil Flower  Offline

Eslöv, Sverige
It's a COD clone because they're adding tech that is already in trials or in battlefield use today?

#3740286 - 02/23/13 03:04 AM Re: Arma 3 is Steam exclusive, Bohemia Interactive confirms [Re: kramer]  
ratoa Offline
ratoa  Offline

This game is less attractive every day

I guess they also need steam for the MP, most developers are switching from Gamespy to Steam

Question is are we going to be able to play MP with direct Ip connection?

#3740293 - 02/23/13 03:30 AM Re: Arma 3 is Steam exclusive, Bohemia Interactive confirms [Re: kramer]  
WH_Boomer Offline
WH_Boomer  Offline

Gulf Coast

~S~
WH_Boomer
#3740303 - 02/23/13 03:52 AM Re: Arma 3 is Steam exclusive, Bohemia Interactive confirms [Re: kramer]  
DrZebra Offline
crash-professional
DrZebra  Offline
crash-professional

steppe
while I think that the steam principle is generally pretty fair, I still dislike the fact that steam behaves like bloatware, always booting and using massivly resources even if there is nothing asking for the steam-clients presence..

#3740508 - 02/23/13 05:58 PM Re: Arma 3 is Steam exclusive, Bohemia Interactive confirms [Re: DrZebra]  
RAF92_Moser Offline
RAF92_Moser  Offline

NW Indiana, USA
Originally Posted By: DrZebra
while I think that the steam principle is generally pretty fair, I still dislike the fact that steam behaves like bloatware, always booting and using massivly resources even if there is nothing asking for the steam-clients presence..

Steam only runs at boot if you select the option for it to run at boot. Like any Windows application. And in this day of age of RAM being so cheap, I'm sure one can spare 60-100 MB RAM.

#3740614 - 02/23/13 09:52 PM Re: Arma 3 is Steam exclusive, Bohemia Interactive confirms [Re: kramer]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
The point is the anti-Steam people are basically trying to justify their dislike, based on emotion, with spurious arguments. The point is your response is irrational, and the failure of your arguments to prove your position is anything more than "well I don't like it" while seeming to believe that everyone should feel as you do does nothing to help you. Extreme atheists do the same thing. They go around suing this or that gov't entity for daring to use the word "God" in any context whatsoever because they are literally fundamentalists who simply believe in NO God versus this or that religion. Yet they behave the same way over having God written on a court house as a Taliban over having a picture of Mohammad there.

Steam works well for the majority of gamers. If you're in that minority that it doesn't, that's too bad, but I promise you within 10 years every game bigger than small-time indie will be tied to Steam, Origin, or some service like it. So perhaps you need to start looking for a different hobby that doesn't involve playing games on a PC. Tens of millions users means even if they don't love it there are lots of people who tolerate Steam.

You can "protest" and not buy it, but that won't affect their decision. It's literally not worth keeping the Steam-haters in return for the costs the additional headaches it will incur to release it all over the place. To drop Steam, when I'm sure the majority of Arma II players use Steam for it (and don't think for one second with DayZ and Steam sales keeping Arma 2 at the top of its sales charts for months that isn't now true), in favor of some direct solution would cost them far too many customers. I'm sure Sprockets sales pale in comparison, as do the physical DVD owners.

They've just stated the costs of doing Steam AND alternatives are too high and the game risks not coming out this year (when they obviously need to do that to recoup the resources they've put into A3), yet your response is "too bad, do it anyway"?

You honestly they think they care about the opinions of a customer that is telling them "I know this will cause your company severe issues and possibly bankrupt you, but you must do this to keep me!!" versus the larger number that will have no qualms about it? If you've ever run a business, or know someone who has, ask them about the customers it's not worth keeping. Sometimes you have to fire people to get the company moving again, and sometimes you have to jettison customers that are more trouble than they're worth. Costing $2 to make $1 off a customer is not sustainable.

Feel free to continue playing Arma 2 forever, no one said you have to stop. Your extreme hatred of Steam will change nothing. Steam may go away, but another would just rise in its place. The genie is out, Pandora's box is opened, the cat is running amok, insert other cliche here.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3740641 - 02/23/13 10:45 PM Re: Arma 3 is Steam exclusive, Bohemia Interactive confirms [Re: kramer]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA
If removing options from the player is what your all for, then I guess the pro-steam folks are happy. The lifeblood of the Arma series has always been mods. The people that run the awesome fan site Armaholic put out a statement that the Steam decision will basically shut them down. Customers will be forced to use the Steam workshop crap that removes mods as they see fit. Less freedom and choices... YAY Steam!! Cant wait to see what gamers are willing to sell out next! Anal probe authentication possibly?

Last edited by Force10; 02/23/13 11:26 PM.

Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard
Windows 7 64 bit Home edition
Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
16 gig 1866mhz Corsair Vengence Pro memory
EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked 4gb Video Card
Intel 510 series 120gb SSD (boot drive)
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"

#3740702 - 02/24/13 12:21 AM Re: Arma 3 is Steam exclusive, Bohemia Interactive confirms [Re: Force10]  
TankerWade Offline
TankerWade  Offline

Portsmouth, NH
Originally Posted By: Force10
If removing options from the player is what your all for, then I guess the pro-steam folks are happy. The lifeblood of the Arma series has always been mods. The people that run the awesome fan site Armaholic put out a statement that the Steam decision will basically shut them down. Customers will be forced to use the Steam workshop crap that removes mods as they see fit. Less freedom and choices... YAY Steam!! Cant wait to see what gamers are willing to sell out next! Anal probe authentication possibly?

Hi Force10,

Are you a fan of Arma 2? Do you play it regularly? If so we play it on Sundays and Mondays regularly each week and we would love to see you in mission with us. If not I understand. Perhaps you are not exactly a fan of Arma but just saw an opportunity here to vent your frustration with Steam. Again I understand. I too used to drive down to my local games retailer and purchase a boxed copy of a game I was excited for. I would then come home, unfold the included map and gaze lovingly at the landscape that oh so tantalizingly will be rendered on the cd in front of me. Then I would spend a half hour or more making sure no programs were resident in the background or in my system tray, perhaps running a resident memory cleaning app before installing my new game. Then I would go out to the games website and download the latest updates to the game and install them in the correct order, assuming I didn't buy it at launch. Good times.

So believe me when I tell you I feel your pain and understand your concerns when it comes to these new fangled content delivery systems. Many misconceptions can cause one to to be apprehensive. If I may I would to try to help with an example. Below is a link to a website called Skyrim Nexus. Go ahead and click on it, I promise it is not spyware or virus infected -

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/

As you can see it is a website that aggregates mods for an extremely popular game called Skyrim. Sort of like what armoholic does. Well really very much like what they do. Now you may or may not be aware that Skyrim is a Steam exclusive game, and also has an extensive catalog of mods in the Steam workshop. Now here is the best part - Skyrim has been out for about a year and a half, and yet the Skyrim nexus mod center is busier than ever!

So to recap and allay your fears, You can install mods with one click from the steam workshop, or download them and install them from the independant Skyrim nexus website! It's cake, and eating it, altogether!

Now I know what your thinking...Tankerwade thats Skyrim. That won't happen with Arma 3, and I am really afraid for my rectum. I hear ya. But given your love for Arma 2, (and I can tell how deep that love is)and all the countless hours of fun it has given you, and how well you know how dedicated Bohemia Interactive is to its place in the gaming world, don't you think it could turn out okay for everyone? That just maybe, maaayyybeee, this new turn might be better than business as usual?

Look, when it comes out, if you want, just PM me. We have large format printers at work. I'll send you some really nice maps.

Everybody gets everything they want. I wanted a mission. And for my sins..they gave me one.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.