Carried the Enfields to the range Saturday... Jesus it was embarrasing.
Put 20 rounds down range and while I might have scared the target to death or used the butt of the rifle to beat it to death, it most definately didn't have to worry about me shooting it.

I can take full blame for not delving deep enough into the subject, or black arts if you will, of minie ball selection.
Seems that there are about a dozen different bullets and the one you use depends on the amount of powder you're using, the range you're shooting and the personality quirks of your particular rifle.
The 470 grain minie balls I got at the local gun shop were not meant to be used with a light powder charge because their thick skirt won't expand into the rifleing properly with under 100 grains of powder... which is twice as much as I was using.
In other words, I'd have been better off using a slingshot.

I ordered myself a bullet mold that may be closer to what I need.
It makes a hollow base, deep cavity 350 grain bullet with a relatively thin skirt that's supposed to be used with a light powder charge, it's very similar to Civil War era minie balls.
Hell, they may not work any better than the other bullets but since it'll cost about as much to make 10 bullets as I was paying for one at the shop, I can at least embarrass myself more economically.

Jim