Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 25 1 2 3 4 24 25
#3724210 - 01/24/13 08:09 PM Re: More Oculus Rift goodness [Re: NattyIced]  
Georgio Offline
Georgio  Offline

Hockley, UK
Not true, the amount of impact is not dependant on the amount of gamers using it, more the ultilisation of the technology in your gaming experience.

There was a lot of scepticism about TIR as most people didn't get how it could improve their gaming experience which was to essentially ehhance their SA to compensate for the fact that you were flying in 3D but viewing a small monitor.
So for the few early adopters the potential was more than evident, the fact that people were slow to take up TIR was purely down to Naturalpoint being overly cautious to enter the simming market.
Roll on to Occulous which is essentially TIR on steroids and there isn't the same problem with early adoption and investment primarily because the guys behind the project know exactly how to market themselves effectively.

So to sum up, this will have the same impact on gamers as TIR did 20 years ago to those that saw the potential and adopted early.

Originally Posted By: NattyIced
You can disagree, but it can't have an impact on gaming until in the hands of many gamers - which would be when it hit commercial availability.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3724273 - 01/24/13 09:44 PM Re: More Oculus Rift goodness [Re: Chivas]  
NattyIced Offline
NattyIced  Offline

The early adopters of TIR were the ones that purchased it in 2001 when it hit the market.

You can't "early adopt" Oculus Rift until it's commercially unavailable.

Last edited by NattyIced; 01/24/13 09:44 PM.
#3724282 - 01/24/13 09:55 PM Re: More Oculus Rift goodness [Re: NattyIced]  
Georgio Offline
Georgio  Offline

Hockley, UK
Your statement is both inaccurate and pointless.

The early adopters of TIR were the ones that purchased it in 2001 when it hit the market.

You can't "early adopt" Oculus Rift until it's commercially unavailable.

#3724311 - 01/24/13 10:31 PM Re: More Oculus Rift goodness [Re: Chivas]  
hannibal Offline
hannibal  Offline

i am excited for oculus rift. i have trackir, and it did not do it for me. the moment i got trackir in 2007, i was like what is this crap. i tried many of times to give it another chance, i just didnt work for me. im all about 1:1 translation

#3724313 - 01/24/13 10:32 PM Re: More Oculus Rift goodness [Re: Chivas]  
NattyIced Offline
NattyIced  Offline

I meant commercially available. I was typing up a sentence to say that Oculus Rift can't be early adopted if it's commercially unavailable but edited to be shorter and forgot to change unavailable to available.

But yes, good luck adopting the Oculus Rift before it's commercially available and any program has been designed to use it.

#3729534 - 02/02/13 07:16 PM Re: More Oculus Rift goodness [Re: NattyIced]  
Georgio Offline
Georgio  Offline

Hockley, UK
What on earth has that got to do with the impact of both devices on consumers; my original point is that they both have/will have a similar impact on the gaming experience and now you're banging on about early adoption.
If you can't contribute anything worthwhile to a forum then leave it to people who can.

I meant commercially available. I was typing up a sentence to say that Oculus Rift can't be early adopted if it's commercially unavailable but edited to be shorter and forgot to change unavailable to available.

But yes, good luck adopting the Oculus Rift before it's commercially available and any program has been designed to use it.

#3729549 - 02/02/13 08:07 PM Re: More Oculus Rift goodness [Re: Chivas]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
I purchased Track IR when it first came out, and remember having a conversion with the Natural Point developer. He was asking if I thought the product would be adopted by the flight sim community. I told him their product was far more realistic and immersive than using a switch to change views, that I didn't see how it wouldn't be a success. The same is true with the Occulus, only the Oculus has far more immersive features.

The price if kept around their proposed three hundred dollar range is unbelievably cheap.

The advances in small screen resolutions make having a 1080 resolution very possible.

A 110* field of view with no borders, have users feeling like they've been dropped into another world

3D, I'm not sold on this yet, but have seen 3D aircraft/cloud scenes that look amazing

Their very low latency 6DOF tracking appears to have address some of the nausea associated with these devices. I used to get a slight case of this when I first used TrackIR, but it quickly went away.

Any flight sim developer would be crazy not to spend three hundred dollars on the current Oculus development kit, as this is the future. They could atleast give the Oculus Rift development team ideas on what they'd like to see in the hardware/software that would best suit their needs in their current or future developments.

Intel core I7 4790K @ 4.4
Asus Maximus Hero VII Motherboard
16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Cougar Throttle/X55 Throttle/Saitek Levers
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
Voice Activation Controls
#3729712 - 02/03/13 04:24 AM Re: More Oculus Rift goodness [Re: Georgio]  
NattyIced Offline
NattyIced  Offline

Originally Posted By: Georgio
What on earth has that got to do with the impact of both devices on consumers; my original point is that they both have/will have a similar impact on the gaming experience and now you're banging on about early adoption.
If you can't contribute anything worthwhile to a forum then leave it to people who can.

A goldfish has better memory than you.

You said TrackIr had an impact on gaming 20 years ago, I said it didn't citing it's commercial availability. And then you clamored at some extraneous "pre-commercial two people may have had the product almost 20 years ago" nonsense. You also were the individual to start on about early adoption.

So, pretty much you're just a cranky pants poopy head because you were wrong on all fronts and have contributed all of nothing other than self-aggrandizing because of your delusional play in TrackIr's "early adoption" based on your own comments.

Last edited by NattyIced; 02/03/13 04:27 AM.
#3729742 - 02/03/13 06:21 AM Re: More Oculus Rift goodness [Re: Chivas]  
777 Studios - Jason Offline
777 Studios - Jason  Offline

Southern California or Moscow
I walked into their office a couple weeks ago. Got the ole' everyone is unavailable to talk treatment by the receptionist so I didn't get to see a demo. Left my card and a few copies of ROF. So far no attempt to reach out to me, not that I really expected it. Honestly, they already seem to have the big shooter engine folks (Unreal and Crytek etc.) behind it already so I doubt they are going to beat down my door to talk to us simmers. I ordered a developer unit and will send to the team to check out.

What annoying to me is that you could already do all the tracking stuff with TrackIR years ago, but all of the major engine makers laughed when I tried to explain the concept of head tracking in FPS-style games to them. View control separate from the gun etc. Put some good goggles on the idea and they are into it. Back in the day these guys including Gabe Newell told me it was a cheat so they wouldn't support head tracking where you could peek around corners in their engines. Ohwell... I tried.

What's evident by their office location and from what I saw they appear to have some money behind them.

Jason

#3729764 - 02/03/13 08:26 AM Re: More Oculus Rift goodness [Re: Chivas]  
Slap Offline
Slap  Offline

London UK
Looks really promissing.
How would a person control there HOTAS/keyboard if eyes are emersed in VR?

"never judge a sausage by it's skin"
#3729820 - 02/03/13 12:22 PM Re: More Oculus Rift goodness [Re: Chivas]  
SlipBall Offline
disillusioned
SlipBall  Offline
disillusioned

East Coast U.S.A.
the only way is to have AI do all the chores for you, all! popcorn

Post composed with speech to text, it woks grape!

Clod
OEM screenshots & videos of Eu release..So I fly the original game because I am a off-liner and the game's AI was broken after the last good patch, game version 1.0.13954
GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
#3729888 - 02/03/13 03:46 PM Re: More Oculus Rift goodness [Re: Slap]  
JAMF Offline
Frugalite & P-38 fan
JAMF  Offline
Frugalite & P-38 fan

The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: Slap
Looks really promissing.
How would a person control there Hotas/keyboard if eyes are emersed in VR?

Map everything to the HOTAS? smile

Maybe a future model will have a camera (or two) on it, activated by a button, so one can look around? I think I read somewhere it was being considered.

#3729961 - 02/03/13 06:24 PM Re: More Oculus Rift goodness [Re: Chivas]  
SlipBall Offline
disillusioned
SlipBall  Offline
disillusioned

East Coast U.S.A.
i get funny looks just playing the game, wait till i strap that tv to my head

Post composed with speech to text, it woks grape!

Clod
OEM screenshots & videos of Eu release..So I fly the original game because I am a off-liner and the game's AI was broken after the last good patch, game version 1.0.13954
GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
#3729989 - 02/03/13 07:14 PM Re: More Oculus Rift goodness [Re: Slap]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
Looks really promissing.

They might come up with a provision to see your Hota/keyboard, but I have most everything I need programmed to my Hota system.

MSFF2 Joystick
Cougar Throttle
Saitek Throttle quadrant
Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals

If I needed more, I would place another button/rotary bay between my Cougar Throttle and Saitek throttle quadrant.

16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
#3730326 - 02/04/13 01:13 PM Re: More Oculus Rift goodness [Re: Chivas]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Wait, this hardware also gives you real 3D view?!? I didn't see that!

That puts thing in...
*puts sun glasses*

...a whole different perspective.

YEEAAAAAAAAH!

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#3730507 - 02/04/13 06:50 PM Re: More Oculus Rift goodness [Re: Chivas]  
Brigstock Offline
Brigstock  Offline

London, England
Originally Posted By: Chivas
Looks really promissing.

They might come up with a provision to see your Hota/keyboard, but I have most everything I need programmed to my Hota system.

MSFF2 Joystick
Cougar Throttle
Saitek Throttle quadrant
Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals

If I needed more, I would place another button/rotary bay between my Cougar Throttle and Saitek throttle quadrant.

me too.

Not seeing my keyboard is not a problem.
in fact I find using the keyboard an immersion killer. I prefer switches on my HOTAS.

#3730544 - 02/04/13 07:37 PM Re: More Oculus Rift goodness [Re: Robusti]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
Originally Posted By: Icarus1
Looks really promissing.

Slap, I was all onboard until you pointed this out. Mapping everything to the HOTAS is not a proper solution for realism in a WWII pit. Not being able to see cockpit switches is a real problem for those who want the immersion factor of a a real pit. Too bad, that's a big setback for simmers who want a realism in the pit. Hope they come up with a decent solution.

You would be able see your the cockpit switches/dials in game. It would only be a problem if you've built a home cockpit with device/linked gauges etc. Not being able to see a keyboard would not be a realism killer.

Last edited by Chivas; 02/04/13 07:38 PM.

16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
#3730559 - 02/04/13 07:58 PM Re: More Oculus Rift goodness [Re: Chivas]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
http://www.oculusvr.com/blog/behind-the-scenes-of-the-pilot-run/

Another interesting Blog from the developer of the Oculus Rift.

16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
#3730877 - 02/05/13 09:09 AM Re: More Oculus Rift goodness [Re: Robusti]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
Looks really promising.
How would a person control there Has/keyboard if eyes are immersed in VR?

Slap, I was all aboard until you pointed this out. Mapping everything to the HOTAS is not a proper solution for realism in a WWII pit. Not being able to see cockpit switches is a real problem for those who want the immersion factor of a a real pit. Too bad, that's a big setback for simmers who want a realism in the pit. Hope they come up with a decent solution.

You would be able see your the cockpit switches/dials in game. It would only be a problem if you've built a home cockpit with device/linked gauges etc. Not being able to see a keyboard would not be a realism killer.

Exactly, a bummer for serious pilots and pitbuiders. Mapping everything to a HOTAS is not very realistic (a step up from keyboard though), especially for WWII sims. Also a no go for those with touch screens or even fumbling around for a moused cockpit. Sounds like fun, but it seems more for games than a serious Sim.

I would imagine people with full pits would be a very small minority of the genre. That said I'm quite sure all of the pit builders would be able to quickly find all their switches/levers without having to look for them. Using the game gauges would be a small price to pay for the immersion of the RIFT. Clickable cockpits should still work. I doubt many people are currently using touch screens at the moment. Anyway we don't really know how its all going to roll out, but they certainly have the financial backing for a great start, building a product for gamers, built by gamers.

16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
#3731060 - 02/05/13 04:12 PM Re: More Oculus Rift goodness [Re: Robusti]  
SacaSoh Offline
SacaSoh  Offline

Hueland
I would imagine people with full pits would be a very small minority of the genre. That said I'm quite sure all of the pit builders would be able to quickly find all their switches/levers without having to look for them. Using the game gauges would be a small price to pay for the immersion of the RIFT. Clickable cockpits should still work. I doubt many people are currently using touch screens at the moment. Anyway we don't really know how its all going to roll out, but they certainly have the financial backing for a great start, building a product for gamers, built by gamers.

Exactly, the small minority of serious simmers with full pits, or even those with some cockpit levers and switches are not going to like this problem. You should not be so sure pitbuilders will enjoy fumbling around for switches while blind. It is not so easy as you think. In fact, it is big a pain. It will be swapping cockpit realism for VR. A blast yes, but mostly good for gamers and those with unrealistic HOTAS setups. So the net is VR gain cockpit immersion loss.

I like the idea of VR very much, but this problem is a major cockpit realism bummer. Some form of the clickable cockpit mouse/glove is a way this might work realistically. Hope they address this problem somehow. You are correct....built by gamears for gamers....obviously not not by simmers for simmers.

I'm sure that after reading your post they'll scrap the project and develop another one, thinking in the majority of the simmers out there, the ones that have full pits... almost 99% I think...

Seriously dude, you know how the market works, don't you? You don't hope that someone will mass produce something this costly to sell 5k units tops? I'm sorry for you, but I think you'll have to wait until more people have pits or do the project yourself. Anyway, I think you'll lose nothing, because you have a pit for immersion... it's just a trade, or the pit, or the VR set, sooner or later someone will do both, like the "mouse gloves", etc.

Page 2 of 25 1 2 3 4 24 25

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.